Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: What should the next Book Project theme be?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: What should the next Book Project theme be?
Page 2 of 3<123>

What should the next Book Project theme be?

Book of Childhood (centered around children and their antics)
  11% (15)
Book of the Tides (Stories of the sea)
  8% (11)
Book of Mystery (mysteries)
  15% (21)
Book of War
  51% (70)
Book of Fur (from an animal's point of view)
  13% (18)

Total Votes : 135

(last vote on : 5/1/2010 3:48:58)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/6/2010 18:08:59   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Now that we have had so many votes, is it okay for me to expect this may book to be huge?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 26
4/6/2010 18:44:08   
Ilø€IMPERIAL€ølI

Nah, not a chance. However IF I use my siggy as much as I post, there's a good chance the book may be sucessful in reaching 66+ entries. :D
Post #: 27
4/7/2010 0:50:58   
Strebor

Im cool with the book of fur, or book of war.
Post #: 28
4/7/2010 1:56:23   
Ganden

Obligatory vote for book of Fur.

War... War could be interesting.

-Tolan

We have enough people who tell it like it is;
we need more people who tell it like it should be.
--My motto for life.
MQ  Post #: 29
4/7/2010 7:17:59   
horusmaster9

I suddenly want to change my vote. It'd be so much easier to tie in with whatever I had going on in the Books. T.T
Oh well, war is still pretty cool (to write about <.<). Let's hope we have a huge turnout on this. :D
Post #: 30
4/7/2010 7:48:11   
Sw33t0rdi3

Book of Wars please!!!I would surely buy a book of war!

Please don't post in all caps as that is considered spam. Caps edited - Fleur Du Mal

< Message edited by Fleur Du Mal -- 4/7/2010 16:10:47 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 31
4/7/2010 12:00:25   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

I voted childhood. My findings as part of a creative writing class for school is that people tend to write from the point of view of their own age group (which in my case would be teenagers). Choosing the book of childhood would produce two effects depending upon the age of the author 1. Allow a young author to write comfortably from the perspective of his or her age group or 2. Challenge an older author to remember how a young child perceives the world.

But whatever, it looks like war will win.
AQ AQW  Post #: 32
4/7/2010 15:25:15   
superjars

I voted for a book of mysteries. I've loved reading stuff like Encyclopedia Brown, the Hardy Boys, etc. as well as some of the classics of mystery, Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie. I actually think mystery would fit into any of the other ideas that you've got up there.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 33
4/7/2010 15:50:15   
Postmaster General

To add to Superjars comment, this is true.

The other themes could easily fit in to Mystery. Mystery often involves combat (war), children (like the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew), the sea (underwater mysteries, mysteries in port), and from the perspective of animals (Wishbone being a perfect example).

I would hope that this could persuade would-be-writers to change oppinions.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 34
4/7/2010 16:07:17   
UrufuHiken
Creative!

I loved wishbone when I was a kid! Even today it is one my favorite shows I ever watched. I don't anymore of course, though I would have liked to get my little brother into it if I could ever find the show. Did they take it off the air?

And I do agree, mysteries could cover many aspects of many genres, and the same can be said for the other genres as well. With varying difficulty of course.

You could have a story on 'war' from animal perspective; a pack of wolves infringing on another pack's territory.

You could have a battle at sea.

You could even have a 'war' on the child's perspective. (The movie, 'War' would be a good example of that.

And so on and so forth.

As the saying goes, "You are only limited by your imagination."
Post #: 35
4/9/2010 15:32:54   
mucificator

I voted for a book of mysteries

< Message edited by mucificator -- 4/9/2010 15:33:12 >
Post #: 36
4/9/2010 17:27:14   
Alexandria Serthes

I voted for Book of Fur, mostly because I find animals so intriguing. Not to mention it could go with every single other option, since animals are everywhere, and often wind up involved in a lot of things, both fictional and historical.
DF AQW  Post #: 37
4/10/2010 9:34:22   
Postmaster General

The problem with having the Book of Fur expand over the other themes, is that it would have to be from the perspective of animals.

Whereas my previous point saying that Mystery could fully encompass the others, there is no restriction for where the perspective must be.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 38
4/12/2010 4:20:12   
Luberte

Book O' War what better can there be?

~ Lubey..
AQW  Post #: 39
4/12/2010 6:34:04   
BadHulk

I am assuming that the Book of War is going to win. For myself(I wont be writing though, perhaps?) I voted for Book of Mystery. So much to write about it.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 40
4/12/2010 8:15:37   
Crimzon5

Is it ironical that so many people voted on a theme, yet only a few are the ones that are going to write? Or is it wrong to call this situation an irony because it's better for the masses (which includes the readers) rather than the authors to decide?

Regardless of the answer there, I hope this won't dissuade anyone with the passion and time from participating. I might just actually submit a story/poem (if it's war, I might aim for the latter) for the first time here... if real life duties won't get in the way.
AQ DF  Post #: 41
4/12/2010 11:00:22   
UrufuHiken
Creative!

@Sheriff Duncan.

True, very true. To be honest I wouldn't mind writing a story from any one of those themes, and Mystery could allow for a wider spectrum of choices. I guess my problem with mystery (or shall I say fear) is that I have so little experience in it. Then again, what is this project for if not to help others gain experiences in writing?
Post #: 42
4/12/2010 14:27:07   
Eukara Vox

The great thing about each topic is that they present a challenge in some area of writing.

Book of War will be one that will either challenge you to write fight scenes or challenge you to deal with the immense amount of emotion involved. As it is, if War is the theme, I am thinking that my story will be the effects of war, but not war itself. Still not sure.

Book of Childhood in most cases will challenge you to write light-hearted and innocent. Perspective also would be a challenge if you chose to write through the eyes of a child.

Book of Fur is definitely a perspective piece. And for many, might require a little research into animal behaviour, habitat, hunting/defensive strategies, etc. Which then helps the writer understand researching for the sake of writing.

The Book of Mystery would probably be my hardest story to write. I am not a fan of mysteries and rarely read them. But a challenge is a challenge. This one could require more planning on some of our parts, which isn't an entirely bad thing to practice.

Book of Tides' challenge could be in the fact that most of us don't use the Sea as a focal point in our writing. Sure, I have written with ships, but the story wasn't about the ships or the people. The ships were merely carrying one person/group from A to B. And I haven't written a story that was purely about undersea adventures either. I think the closest I have come was The Last Melody, but even then, it wasn't about the sea.

Each book has its twist and expectations. Sure, many could crossover and that is fine. But the point is to have one book entirely about one subject. Anyway, it is nearly halfway through April, and unless we have a miraculous serge in voting for another topic, Book of War may indeed be May's Book.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 43
4/13/2010 14:29:12   
Fleur Du Mal

I don't think I'll be able to tip the scale at this point, but I am going to vote for Book of Tides, anyway. I've referred to the sea and had it as an active element in some of my poems, so it would both be a natural theme for me to write in, yet a challenge as I've never put that into a major element in prose. (I'd go for a story with this one)

The most challenging one for me would probably be the currently winning one... the Book of War -- I feel too stronlgy about several issues related to War and it will be hard for me to not turn ranty with this one. Might have to keep it in poem to prevent that or stay aside.

DF  Post #: 44
4/13/2010 19:02:28   
alexmacf

My main challenge in writing a story for War is going to be trying to tone myself down to PG-13. I usually get very, very R-rated when writing War stories, including asking friends who are comfortable with it to insert swearing.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 45
4/14/2010 19:01:41   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

The reason I didn't vote for war is that I already have a war based short story (which I will likely submit), and I don't really have any desire to write another one. Any of the other topics would at least provide a theme on which I have not focused before.
AQ AQW  Post #: 46
4/15/2010 5:29:39   
Ilø€IMPERIAL€ølI

Violent is a thriller for entertainment, without it, what is War?

I agree with alexmacf though. If the Book of War is to be the next theme, I'll need someone to disengage my lines or tune it down a notch. You know me, I tend to write over-the-top. And to be honest, I need to spend more time reading a dictionary, rather than just reading comic strips all time. My previous poem seemes to have lack some vocabularies. I'm looking towards to the book, just sixteen days left!
Post #: 47
4/15/2010 10:31:27   
Eukara Vox

Alexmacf and Imperial... don't worry. Remember that the L&L staff reads and edits every entry. I am sure that we could make sure that your stories don't lose their flavor while making sure they stay within the limits of forum and L&L rules.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 48
4/18/2010 15:09:00   
jackson0213

book of war
Post #: 49
4/20/2010 15:38:10   
Reaper Sigma

Can we have a bigger max story size, like seven pages? I don't like cutting. Too much work for a shorter, not as good, version of your story.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: What should the next Book Project theme be?
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition