Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Total War *Comments & Criticism*

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Total War *Comments & Criticism*
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/2/2010 21:20:59   
Postmaster General

Here is my entry for the Book of War.

Total War takes place during the American Civil War. This piece follows Jeremiah Roberts, a white abolitionist writer, from the viewpoint of a fugitive slave named Ruth. Ruth was following the Underground Railroad when she came across Roberts' safehouse. She found the master suffering, as you will see, and decided to stay to take care of him. You will begin to notice a lack of quality to his periodic poetry throughout the story which signifies his descent into insanity.

A disclaimer: This story is not about war, but rather the effects war has on everyone.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
5/3/2010 11:13:13   
superjars

I really like what you have so far here, Sheriff D.

Some comments:
quote:

Explosions blow, my Wall will not last.
Strangers here, occupying my home
Unwelcomed visitors,
they took everything from me.
This stanza sounds strange. It seems a bit disjointed and disorganized for so early in the piece...
Perhaps:
quote:

The sounds of explosions beat at my walls.
The strangers are here; they try to get in.
I will not let them;
They took everything from me.
Simply a suggestion. Take or leave or modify as you will.

quote:

As the Higher fought the Lower
We spectators began to cower
Lower and cower do not actually rhyme. Perhaps changing the first line to 'The Weak position fought the Power' or 'Those Below fought against the Tower' If you're fine with a near rhyme, keep as is.

quote:

likely to take him before a peace was made.
Again, personal preference, but it may be argued that taking him might actually be a blessing at this point. Perhaps using the phrase 'more from him' or 'all from him' instead of 'him' might help to express the utter futility of his situation.

You've got a great start here, Sheriff D, and I'm interested to see the devices you use to express his growing insanity and Ruth's caring nature. One thing I'd also like to point out is that it seems so far that you are taking a narrator type voice at the moment, rather than speaking as if you were Ruth talking about Jeremiah. If this is intended, that's fine, but you noted that you were going to use Ruth's viewpoint in the narrative. I'm curious how you'll make that transition.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
5/3/2010 13:04:10   
Postmaster General

@Superjars: It is meant to be narrative style, although it will be third person omniscient in regards to Ruth, but not any other characters. In this way, it is still from the viewpoint of Ruth, but still written as a regular narrative.

I'll take your recommendations into considerations when I come back with my edits.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
5/3/2010 13:12:17   
superjars

@Sheriff D, ah, I see. From your description in the opening post, I was imagining it being written in first person perspective from Ruth's viewpoint. I'm guessing the idea behind it is this is something written posthumously as Ruth tells the story to someone else, and provides some of this man's writings to the author? Or something like that.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
5/11/2010 20:17:13   
Postmaster General

Updated.

I am nearing the end. This is not meant to be more than a short story, meant to incorporate poetry and prose while still accurately conveying my meaning through writing itself and certain tools, such as this slow decay in Mr. Roberts' writing ability.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
5/27/2010 23:18:14   
Remington

i liked this, but i can't give much feedback since it's not my area. i can say this first poem is a little off to me. i think you might want to put something such as 'they take as death in winter'. the last part of that poem was blunt and unpoetic(wordcheck). i did like this though.

Lord Rao Holythorne the Wolfheart.
Hellsingr
http://www.reddit.com/r/AQW/
http://eternalarmy.webs.com/
AQ  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Total War *Comments & Criticism*
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition