Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Tat' It Up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Tat' It Up
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/3/2010 16:10:14   
Postmaster General

Tat’ It Up

Art has always spoken to me in ways that nothing else could. From sketching, cartooning, and even computer animation; it just inspires me in an amazing way. And while putting my creations on paper is constructive and proved to be a great way to hone my skills, it never seemed to be enough. The human body has always seemed like the perfect canvas on which to express myself and so I decided to start drawing some possible tattoo ideas. Awhile later, I actually got really hooked on the idea of tattoos and even drew up one for myself which I plan to get on my upcoming birthday.

The art of tattooing dates back a very long time. According to the Smithsonian, “Humans have marked their bodies with tattoos for thousands of years. These permanent designs—sometimes plain, sometimes elaborate, always personal—have served as amulets, status symbols, declarations of love, signs of religious beliefs, adornments and even forms of punishment.” (Lineberry 1) I found this very interesting and a great way to place my own brand by adding to the art of tattooing.

Recently I went to a tattoo parlor by the name of _______. There I talked to an artist who goes by ______. I asked him about the prerequisites of tattooing:
“So what exactly do you have to do to be a tattoo artist?”

“Well,” said ______, “I did apprenticeships out of state, but I know that some of my buddies did tattoo’s out of their homes before it was legal in ________.”

“So there isn’t any specific schooling that you have to do to be an artist?”

“I mean, I went to high school, but after that man….”

After doing some research I learned about the profession of tattooing. I never really realized how complicated it can be. But there are many things that have to be taken into account for the customer’s sake such as allergies and contaminations. It is quite a delicate process, tattooing. New needles must be used often and they must be sterilized. Gloves must be worn even, making it seem like a surgery of sorts. While this sounds like an odd comparison, the truth is that that’s exactly how tattoos have to be treated.

Aside from the hazards of tattooing, there are also some trials to tattooing. In order to get a good job you have to have some proof of skill, such as a book of pictures of your art. To build up a book, the artist has to get customers that are willing to let an inexperienced artist put ink on their body. This is a very difficult task. Also the job can be very trying because, since the tattoo is semi-permanent, it has to be perfect. This requires a very steady hand, an eye for detail, and lots of patience. None of these qualities are easy to acquire. So while, it may seem the job of tattoo artist is glamorous to many people, it is quite a lot of work as well.

While there are a wide variety of people that tattoos appeal to, there are also many who feel that it desecrates the body or that tattoos are undesirable. According to the article, “Tattoos and Body Piercings as Indicators of Adolescent Risk-Taking Behavior” in the magazine Pediatrics, “[Behavioral surveys] have suggested increases in homosexuality, sexual risk-taking, and sadomasochism associated with body piercing. Others have not found these associations. Studies of tattooing have been conducted mainly in prison populations and with patients in psychiatric facilities. These studies have demonstrated increases in violent behavior, problem behavior, and criminality. However, studies among high school students, military recruits, and professional adults have not found these associations. One finding consistent in the studies has been the difference between persons with amateur tattoos versus professionally applied tattoos. Possession of an amateur tattoo seems to be associated with increases in dissatisfaction with the tattoo, problem behavior, and lower academic performance” (Carroll 1021) So there are many who believe that tattoos are just a way to rebel against institutions such as parents or church. This is a valid point, but there are also those who get the tattoo in memorial to a loved one who has passed, or to act as a symbol of their love.

There are outliers in all demographics; the field of tattooing is no different. So just because someone is wearing ink doesn’t mean they are deviant or disrespectful. And thusly the career of tattoo art is a respectable career choice.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Tat' It Up
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition