Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: MQ's Low Popularity

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
Page 20 of 21«<1718192021>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/3/2011 22:22:13   
Moon Raven

Well all players don't have rares. And they can use those SC items and especially SC mechas to make new and more interesting strategies and besides they wouldn't get more difficulty any other way.

Well gotta go sleep now it's 5:20 am here so I'll continue this tomorrow.
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 476
1/3/2011 23:55:54   
Kaiofsouls20

Uh-oh! It's happening again
MQ AQW  Post #: 477
1/4/2011 0:41:59   
PD

I attribute this to MQ's utter brutality to low leveled players and to Casual Players. Let me share an experience with you all today...

Today, my friend on Epicduel was talking about other AE games, and he wanted to play MQ, so he made an account. However, upon creating his account, he had NO idea how to play. I literally had to "Baby Spoon-Feed" him from levels 1-15. It was not a very nice nor pleasent experience if you ask me personally. I don't blame him really - The lack of actual pointers (Tutorials) in MQ makes it a complete Tartarus (Another word for HELL) to players who cannot get from the hellish levels of 1-25. Simply, there are 2 reasons for this:

1. It's a failure of guidance. Ask yourself this - Let's say you just got a new Video Game for your Birthday, and you don't hesitate to start playing it. IF you had learned to play the game earlier (Actually reading the boring Instruction Manual instead of finding things out the HARD WAY), would your gameplay be a lot easier from the start? No doubt it would help a lot. However, MQ also suffers from this. Yes, there's a tutorial, but how many people will actually go through it, more or less find it? Not many. As a result they suffer heavily from this. They won't get the many complicated aspects of MQ until they're been through a hellish 25 levels of pain. Also, the fact that the game does not direct your gameplay in a very emphasized matter simply makes it a nightmare. Unless you had help from a friend who is a seasoned MQ player, or you had a lot of fore-knowledge to the game mechanics and the equipment options of those first 25 levels, chances are, you will QUIT before you get to the levels where you start getting to the fun part. I could call this a sort of "Rite of Passage". However, that is an understatement. It's a purgatory. From those levels, there are so few equipment options that works, you blaze through the little permanent content of the game, and the storyline is outright confusing and unguided. I had the opportunity to start playing MQ from an extremely young point of MQ's history, and I had the backing of the forum community to assure that I would be forewarned of things to some. Therefore, I went through the order that the staff released the planets - the way the staff intended it to be ordered, and the way it makes the most sense. However, how many people are as fortuitous as MQ's earliest players? That's right. An ad-dismal 1%. Maybe even less. The game doesn't really tell you how to play, and people rush to get to the "Fun Part", although, this in the long run only makes it worse. And to add on this - Did I mention the little Non Rare content? That's right. This makes it so you cannot work with that many choices. And the fact is, this creates a monotony of play. You're forced to use the same style of play. And when are players most likely to quit a game? In the very beginning of course. They predict if the game is that much of a hell from levels 1-25, they will be "turned off" and quit just like that, thinking that they will not see an improving game-play. I've asked a lot of players, and when I asked them about MQ, they all replied the same general consensus. The Hellish lower levels motivated them to quit.

2. It's a failure of the elements. I tend to think of these levels as the Iron Man trials - Work with "Only "this" much equipment with "this" many options". What does this mean? I'll tell you a little side comparative; Let's say you're treading along the Harsh Gobi Desert - Freezing at night, and Blazing hot in the day. Obviously, unless you knew this early on and you were prepared to handle these extremes, chances are, you WILL more or less DIE. Along with the lack of Guidance, the lack of "preparation" can simply lead to DISASTER. Why? This is an easy one. Unless you took the necessary "Supplies" to sustain you in the harsh Gobi desert, you don't survive. Apply that to this. Most of the best options of MQ are all rares. However, there's a conflict - Rares make it possible for the player to get stronger, without the need to compensate by increasing difficulty. However, this creates a problem. Once this fabulous opportunity goes away for those who were not so unfortunate to seize this golden opportunity, they are left helpless. They are forced to work with very weak equips that simply are outdated in today's meta-game of evolved specials, Energy draining, Regeneration, and all sorts of the most powerful specials the enemies are updated to seize the opportunity of the power gap that this rare void has caused. As a result, if you look at the most recent enemies of MQ, you'll notice they're fancied up with the latest and greatest in Effect technology. Not Knowing this full hand, the lower level player will more or less reach this part of the storyline without knowing how powerful his enemies have become. He rushes in with his very weak equipment, and he dies. He DIES. Utterly overwhelmed by the awesome power of his enemies. Had he been at level 25 and above, his chances would been much higher. However, this was not the case. MQ's storyline makes it so it can be progressed through before your character has the access to the equips necessary to beat the part of the storyline. Simply to put it, if you are a new players, you WILL get to Yokai before level 45. And when your un-suspecting character gets there, he's beaten to a pulp. Why? He couldn't access the latest and greatest. This turns people off BIG time. This causes Frustration, along with anger. And this creates DISASTER. And with their crisis, they cannot wait to access rares that might come up in a time when they cannot get those awesome rares. They are forced to be left behind. And then, they chose these options:

A. Become a Star Captain. Sort of making the game a LOT easier since SC's literally have MUCH more access to options than do NSC's.
B. Try to wait it out and stay strong
C. QUIT

Now, Ask yourself, how many people will try to go for option A? Not many. How about Option B. Even fewer. How about option C? A good 90%, if not more. They couldn't survive the hell that is levels 1-25. And this causes a curve - Lots of accounts are made, yet less than 1% will go on to Survive the "Hell Levels". Even fewer will go on to reach the level cap. Even FEWER will consistently play. These factors not only ruin it for people, but they are turned off right from the start.

If you want to make MQ more popular. It's simple really. Start by reforming the lower levels. Then release more Non Rare Game content. Then go and reform all the existing Non Rares to better make easier the game from levels 1-25.

< Message edited by PD -- 1/4/2011 10:20:39 >
Post #: 478
1/4/2011 1:02:38   
Ashari
Inconceivable!

On point with your 2nd reason PD, I found from my experience that you can get by at the lower levels with little or no customization. Once I bought my first Wolfblade Mech, and later my Hrund, I didn't have any need to customize them. Most of the options available gave me no advantage over the default equips.

This leaves players very unprepared when they hit Necryptos or Yokai and realize that default equips will not get them far. I'm not really sure what could be done in this respect without increasing the difficulty of some lower level enemies. The one thing I would note is the difficulty in finding equips that are better than the default slots at the lower levels. It's very easy to glide through these levels and then hit a wall.

< Message edited by Ashari -- 1/4/2011 1:06:06 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 479
1/4/2011 1:22:21   
Hellsoarer

Wow thats less than 0.1% O_O
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 480
1/4/2011 9:27:40   
Moon Raven

@PD
Well actually the news screen has a story button where it will tell you what you're supposed to do in the story. Otherwise I wouldn't have even known that this game had story. But how exactly does the game get better after lvl25? When I was 25 I had completed the story and started doing all the jobs I hadn't done yet even the most boring ones I never thought I would, until I got to this point where theres really nothing else to do than wait for more rare content to come. Now I can keep myself somewhat amused by trying to get more interesting mechas and weapons and try to make some kind of builds and stuff.

So exactly how is this better than when I actually had something to do in the game.
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 481
1/4/2011 9:35:37   
Watchman
Helpful

@PD
I actually took the B option for almost a year and a half back when I was starting out. That was back when there were no tutorials and there way far less options for the non-SC. After that one year and a half and making the cap (which was 25 back then) a couple months ago I bought my SC License. I can honestly say I was pretty darn proud putting out being a free player for that long before become an SC. Heh... Those were the days

Though yeah, I'm pretty aware not everyone has that level of endurance or attention span for game like MQ. And as much as I find MQ a lot less daunting now than it was back then, you'd think would have think it would've been tweaked by now.
For the guidance part, the existing tutorials in the starting shuttle and some elements of GEARS university ought to be made mandatory and be restructured so as they are part of the main storyline. This way you can teach a n00b the basics and still keep things interesting.
As for you second point, rares one way or the other are always overpowered so of course they the "best" gear. Even "outdated" stuff can work well enough if you're creative enough. What I do agree is there ought to be more non-rare mecha and gear, or at least a more constant updating/upgrading/reviving of existing ones.
DF MQ  Post #: 482
1/4/2011 17:51:19   
Aaronman99

If I may offer another idea for why, maybe its just that the game at some times gets TOO EASY. I'm a non-SC, and I really get kind of bored without a real challenge in it. Its just that the holiday rares nowadays are just so overpowered. I literally have beaten nearly every quest just by doing the same pattern with my Lucky Nubertron, and it gets really old fast. Sure there are some challenges, but most can be beaten by switching to another of my mechs. Now we are getting to the point where even non-rare content is becoming overpowered fast. Just for an example, the Legendary Dragon mech from Yokai. I literally have beaten nearly every enemy in the game with it, just because I get so many criticals in it and the attacks do so much. So really, I find it made me less interested because the game has become more of a grind than an actual challenge to figure out how to beat enemies.

Another problem is the lack of customization options. Honestly, the base items and a couple mods get me through everything I need to get through. All enemies take the same damage unless they do some sort of nerf to me or buff to them, and even when I get an enemy that does nerf or buff, I just switch to Lucky Nubertron and utterly destroy pretty much every enemy. There is no drive for me to experiment and customize, because honestly the best combos I have are with the base items, and there really is no reason for me to improvise.
DF MQ  Post #: 483
1/4/2011 18:37:01   
Hellsoarer

I just asked Korin on formspring for a CHALLENGE - It does not have to do with rares so dont get mad at me!
@Aaronman99 Yeah I also rip everything to pieces when I use my Lucky Nubertron but now I use my Star Socker or Yeti Leader

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 484
1/4/2011 19:17:16   
Moon Raven

@Aaronman99
No one forces you to use same mech with same weapons, if I get bored with one of my mechs I switch to other one.

This game is pretty much just grind, especially after you finish the story theres nothing else to do really.

You not bothering to customize does not equal lack of customization options. I do not have Lucky Nubertron but I'm quite sure that you can make a build that is better than Lucky Nubertron's default equipment. This game has tons of flaws but it's not the games fault that your too lazy to try something.
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 485
1/4/2011 20:00:38   
forumlogin

@Ashari
The problem with that is that oftentimes, I had no idea that non-defaults were worse.
I bought them anyways.
After doing this a couple times on my multiple chars, I usually became lucky enough to figure out which weps were good picks or not, luckily. :P
However, it did end up with a couple deleted chars. Losing some 2k (hey, it's a lot at that level!) or something on something completely useless is completely demoralizing.

I think a community element should be introduced in MQ.
Truth is, if it weren't for the forums, I'd probably have left the game completely long ago and never looked back.

@Moon Raven
At level 25, it's not the fun factor that is affected as strongly--it's the level of ease.
Before level 25, especially if you're a new player without the benefit of the forums, you'll find yourself in MASSIVE trouble.
Even with the forums, you may still find yourself with something that sucks.
BTW, the Lucky Nubertron has a spec that doesn't activate without the defaults, IIRC, though I have found the Pilgrim head effective.
Truth be told, though, if you have a rare mecha most of the time it doesn't NEED to be customized--it's strong enough to blaze through everything on its own.
Although I'm happy with that, lots of people want challenges, though I never saw the need to punish myself like that. XD
DF MQ  Post #: 486
1/4/2011 21:07:57   
Aaronman99

@Moon Raven: Maybe I didn't explain right. There may be limitless potential to experiment, but there is NO REASON to do it. Like login said, my Nubertron actually needs the defaults for specials, and also this is true for many mechs. There may be potential, but why change it, if every enemy can be destroyed quite easily. Think in DF, for example. There you need to be able to customize in order to find the right class and weapon/item combination that is the right one for the current enemy, and then there are challenges that can only be done by certain exclusive weapon combinations. It really adds to the intrigue to find the right combos, and therefore there is more a drive to customize and try new things, thus adding to the re playability, and thus adding to the popularity. In MQ its less finding the right weapons and more just getting a strong mech that can finish the job for you.
DF MQ  Post #: 487
1/4/2011 21:15:14   
stealthwings
Helpful

Aaron proves my point. NSCs need access to extreme mode. Then, they would have more reason to experiment with different combinations, have more fun, and upgrade.

Because of both the fact that SCs would get mad about an SC perk being given to non-paying people, and because they too are getting bored with its easiness, they should get a new even harder mode.

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 1/4/2011 21:17:59 >
DF MQ  Post #: 488
1/4/2011 21:27:21   
Moon Raven

Ah now I understand, you wanted to game to be so that you need customization to get trough some fights. But then it would be bad for those people who don't like customization.

And I just have to say that it doesn't sound very interesting that you need to have some stuff in order to get through some fight. It's like Necryptos in MQ, everyone really hates that they need to get the certain mech to get through the planet without using super hyper powerful ultra rare stuff.
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 489
1/4/2011 21:28:03   
Colarndo

I sort of gave up because although I am a Founder SC, I didn't even get a character page after more then three years. Guess they forgot about me when they were doing that feature in the beginning.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 490
1/4/2011 21:31:22   
stealthwings
Helpful

People who like customization can play on normal.

Also, the credit/XP given by extreme should be raised to fit the challenge. This would also help with the grind, and both provide an easy option for people who do not like customization, and a harder but worth it option for people who do.
DF MQ  Post #: 491
1/4/2011 21:43:23   
Aaronman99

@Moon Raven: It's not the only idea, I was just trying to give an example of some way to add some variety and customization drive.
DF MQ  Post #: 492
1/4/2011 23:20:28   
Master Merlin

An easy solution to what Aaronman mentioned is simply to make more use of the resistance system that is already in place and introduce more enemies like those in the combat practice missions. After all, what was the point of training which type of weapon to use if you aren't going to use it anyway?

I would start by upgrading the enemies in Necryptos and the Fire War to have +50 resistances to dark and fire respectively, and then go from there.

Edit: Oh, that's right they do. Completely forgot about that....

< Message edited by Master Merlin -- 1/4/2011 23:42:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 493
1/4/2011 23:30:13   
forumlogin

@Master Merlin
IIRC, Magmars already have 100 Fire Resist. :P
I remember because some of my good weps were fire.
DF MQ  Post #: 494
1/7/2011 15:08:33   
Aaronman99

Just a general inputting of some sort of element system, or maybe a different kind of enemy where maybe they are resistant to lasers and explosions, but can be damaged with melee attacks. Just some variety in enemy stats and resistances would do loads to help with drive for experimentation, and therefore more intrigue and gameplay.
DF MQ  Post #: 495
1/7/2011 15:28:24   
wolfencreek

I just dont play MQ because the releases are small and never really exciting :( with dragonfable there is good fun good wars and good quests but with MQ theres just not enough variety once you do the quests things just seem pointless

I mean i still play whenever theres a big quest release but because of all the overpowered mecha's its waaay tooo easy for me >.> im not complaining im just stating what people like me might be thinking
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 496
1/7/2011 17:31:00   
Hellsoarer

Less complaints, more ways to IMPROVE MechQuest
I honestly think the game is awesome and there is no need to improve it, but you guys should be talking about how to IMPROVE MechQuest, not complaining about it
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 497
1/7/2011 19:11:05   
Moon Raven

Their complaints make it very clear how MQ needs to be improved.
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 498
1/7/2011 20:14:19   
forumlogin

@Hellsoarer
We kind of did already.
But then again, since you rarely ever read my posts, and don't often read others either, you probably didn't see that.
DF MQ  Post #: 499
1/10/2011 17:08:26   
blueshareds

I play mq the most anymore but then again I'm a founder sc and I'm addicted to customization >.> (navy field, naval ops, eve, infinite space, etc etc I love it i can sit their for hours not even in game play just messing with parts an crap ^^;; in mc I love taking my outdated knightron an throwing crap on it to make it a outdated powerhouse then try extreme)

but yeah i agree its still hell for no SC and low level characters in general

the battles do feel slow

the battle menu feels meh

but its still my fav AE game oddly enough I'm like level 80 on AQ an pretty much only get on once in awhile to save up gold for lightning rod >.> DF I play even less I still like these games but i just prefer MC

I think for new players though it would be nice if there was a set of like 3 mech bases an several weapons the could pick from for free after the shuttle mission or soon as the make their character.

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
Page 20 of 21«<1718192021>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition