Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Mr. Zimperdink's Mustache C&C

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Mr. Zimperdink's Mustache C&C
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/31/2010 23:06:02   
Shreder

So I, making a rare foray into the world of prose, decided to write a children's story. Without further ado, here is a link: Mr. Zimperdink's Mustache

As this is only my fourth prose story ever posted, and my first children's story ever written, I would GREATLY appreciate some C&C on this one...
DF MQ  Post #: 1
6/1/2010 4:44:45   
Mistermafio

I liked the premise of the story, espesially for a children's book. Though I do think you might want to simplify the words and phrases a little bit more. Things like "atop" might not really fit in a child's vocabulary, atleast, in my mind.

You should really go and look for someone to draw pictures with this story though, I can't draw to safe my life, but as I recall this forum has an entire subforum focussed on drawing, I'm sure you could find someone there to help you. It would certainly complete the story.

Nice work though.
AQ  Post #: 2
6/1/2010 9:12:31   
Shreder

Hm... I was thinking more in the line of parents reading the book to the children, and pictures would also make it easier to understand, but I will go through again and see if anything jumps out at me as overly difficult... Thanks!
DF MQ  Post #: 3
6/1/2010 9:46:03   
Mistermafio

Well, keep in mind I'm not from an english speeking country, so my grasp on what children do and do not know is not that good. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of that could help me out there.

Upon re-reading I noticed something else, technically. I can imagine a suitable drawing or situation for each line you've written, except for one:

quote:

But as everyone who knew him said…

This might give you trouble, should you eventally add drawings to the story. Felt the need to point that out. ^>^
AQ  Post #: 4
6/1/2010 10:14:47   
superjars

A few corrections to the grammar (even though it's a children book, you still need to have good grammar :P)

quote:

All of the sudden
Should be 'All of a sudden'

quote:

It would goes zipping
'goes' should be 'go'

As for the form and such, I would break some lines up even more than you have already, such as:

quote:

Every morning, he walked to work in a very serious manner, dressed in a very serious black suit…
I'd make this line about dressing in his very serious black suit, then move walking to work in a very serious manner either the next line, or after the very serious hat line.

quote:

Each evening, when all his serious work was done, Mr. Zimperdink would walk home. The children would come running, because they knew what would happen next.
I'd split this into two lines, especially since it is two different pictures.

quote:

They would all run, laughing and shouting, trying to catch the flying mustache. And Mr. Zimperdink, in a very un-serious way, would begin to smile.
Same as the above comment; these make more sense split up :D

quote:

When one of them had finally managed to catch it, and handed it politely back to Mr. Zimperdink, he would continue walking home, seeming just as serious as before. But as everyone who knew him said…
I would suggest rewording the first part so it becomes a complete sentence and then start the next 'he would' as a new sentence/page

As to the comment that mistermafio made, I would use a group of people talking with Mr. Zimperdink in the background or foreground, either at his office or in his neighborhood for that line. I might even use the office for the first time you say it and the neighborhood for the second.

And finally, I'm not sure what to do with this line:
quote:

As Mr. Zimperdink walked along home in his very serious suit, wearing his very serious hat, and with a very serious look on his face, something very silly would occur…
but I feel it needs to be shortened somehow as it would be difficult to fit in a children's book, unless... you use this as a pivot point in the story and it's a page with no image. I guess that would work...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
6/1/2010 10:29:32   
Shreder

I don't know why, but "All of the sudden" just sounds more correct to me than "All of a sudden"...

Changed "goes" to "go".

I kind of like having them both together...

I see it as one picture, him walking home, with the children running after him.

Same as above, I see this as one picture. The children are chasing the mustache, and he is just standing there smiling...

Again, I rather like it as one sentence... And as to the matter of "everyone said", I do agree that there would be a group of people in the background, talking amongst themselves, to help convey the meaning.

Yes, I somewhat imagined it as a "pivot point", right before the silliness begins.

Thanks for your comment!

< Message edited by Shreder -- 6/1/2010 16:29:59 >
DF MQ  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Mr. Zimperdink's Mustache C&C
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition