Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =EC 2010= Cellar Arena OOC

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =EC 2010= Cellar Arena OOC
Page 3 of 5<12345>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/26/2010 16:31:31   
Mittoo

Stuff it. I'm not getting drop-offed without a fight.

(teehee, pun)
AQ  Post #: 51
6/26/2010 23:18:39   
Strebor

@ Ont, they are spread out like a web. They were scattered over his glove, and have spread out into a webby web formation. Their not that big, just pointy and fragmenty.

So you've got no iron? That's a bummer...

Does anyone else have iron on them?
Post #: 52
6/27/2010 0:42:40   
The Dragon Knight

Strebor, you do realize that steel is an iron alloy, right? Iron ore is the primary component of steel.
AQ  Post #: 53
6/27/2010 4:05:47   
Strebor

Yeah, but I think I boxed myself into a corner when I said "Pure Elements" (Earth, not lore) Steel is a compound, not an element.
Post #: 54
6/27/2010 8:05:42   
demonhunter

GoN: Need to know how much force is behind that attack, and roughly how far it would send Jonathan. A rough idea of where he's likely to land following a hit would also be helpful.
AQ DF  Post #: 55
6/27/2010 9:06:24   
Micosil

Lycan, would you mind getting around to doing the edit? I'm missing out on most of the action >.<
Post #: 56
6/27/2010 13:29:46   
Guardian of Nekops

@demonhunter: About the same force of the last attack from each hand, probably a little less. It was hurried, after all. Also keep in mind that you'll only be affected by that part of the blow that hits you, and your small cross-section works to your advantage for that... it's more like trying to hit you with a water hose than trying to hit you with a truck, if that makes sense... the parts that miss will just shoot past without affecting you. A solid hit, assuming your feet are not touching the ground, should easily take you to a mirror, with probably some force left over, but probably not enough to do permanant damage unless you slam into it wrong (ie, with your neck. You'd be surprised by how little force can deliver a fatal wound if you take it that way). Say, oh, force of a ten foot fall if you hit something solid at the end of your flight, less if the ground is involved on the way? Feel free to play with the values to make what happens interesting for you to write.

As for where you are likely to end up, depends which of the four pillars you jumped behind, which side you jumped out from behind it from, whether, due to your speed, your height, and the distance you were jumping out from it, you were hit with it squarely in the chest or were clipped by it, sending you into a spin at more of an angle, whether your feet were on the ground at time of hit (if not, you'd be thrown more upwards, if so you'd tend downwards and to roll more, I should think)...

Anyway, depending on which side of the pillar you jumped out from, my calculations place you either in the relevant corner, if you jumped out from the side of the pillar facing the wall, or about three quarters of the way along the middle of the relevant side if you jumped out from the pillar towards the other pillar. However, so much depends on which "behind" that pillar you were... there are 360 definitions of "behind" for any circular pillar, after all... you could really argue for almost anywhere.

We can break out the Powerpoint and map it out to each of our satisfactions, if you so desire, (in fact, I have already started to do so in the answering of this question) starting back when you first hid behind a pillar from the pixie, moving forward into where exactly I stepped in and which pillar you ran behind, from which side, relative to the door and the other competitors. Alternatively, I am happy to defer to your judgement on the matter, which certainly has the advantage of being quicker. I am a firm believer, myself, in saying, "Okay, any of these fifteen values could be accurate, and would not strain credulity if we wrote 'em right... now which one is interesting? Let's do that."
AQ  Post #: 57
6/27/2010 22:44:52   
demonhunter

Well, Jon was still airborne when he launched his attack... So, at best, he's just about to touch ground when he cops the hit.

As for placement, my understanding was that Jarvis was on the inside of the pillars, so 'behind' in Jon's case would mean the mirror-side.

His initial position next to the pillar would've been the side closest the door, of the pillar furthest from the door on that side (keeping in mind he was on the opposite side of the room to where Ember and guy-with-the-overly-long-name were). I think, based on what you've provided, that he'll end up heading towards the corner...

How wide was each attack? If I can figure out how far Jon jumped, I'll have a better idea of how much of it impacts.

Yeah, dodging this one is not an option. Jon can't change direction in mid-air.
AQ DF  Post #: 58
6/28/2010 0:55:29   
ringulreith

And posted! This one's longer, so yay. :P Anyways, Liam is now about three feet to Van's right (from Van's perspective). There's a steel head going at Van's arm, which will wrap around his arm and tug him sideways to make him lose balance. The seccond one is arcing from behind, aiming to bludgeon him in the back of his head. If there'd any questions, I'll answer them tomorrow, I have to go to sleep now. Enjoy!
Post #: 59
6/28/2010 0:59:42   
Guardian of Nekops

Well, the way I envision the attack is as a sawn-off shotgun's firing pattern coming out of the palm of Jarvis's hand, only obviously force instead of pellets. In this case, it'd be one for each hand. So the attack would start out tightly packed near his palms, then spread out (getting less and less powerful per square inch) as it goes.

The blasts have an effective range of 30 feet, meaning that at that point the force becomes too spread out and weak to do much of anything... they could probably be felt after that as a breeze would be, but it'd really have no affect on the battle. So, say the point at which that would be true is your average-sized wall... 10 foot by 10 foot, let's say. So the attacks of concussive force spread in round-base cones from the palms of Jarvis's hands, starting at a pinpoint and moving to a 10 foot diameter at a distance of 30 feet.

Now, the question that remains is where Jon is in that cone. This depends on many factors, not the least of which is the size of the pillar. These pillars have been described as follows;

quote:

There were four humongous round pillars of plain grey stone, as wide as a man with his arms spread out, in the middle of the room forming a square shape as the room did.

This seems to indicate that each pillar has a diameter of a fathom... roughly the height of a man or the length of his reach to either side. This unit of measure is obviously up for interperatation, as the average height of a male changes through the years and depending upon which culture you ask, but the modern interperatation is about 6 feet. This implies that Jonathan is about 7 feet from the origin of the blast as he jumps out, as neither character is likely to be hugging the stonework... maybe a little more than 7 feet, but we'll run with it.

This is clearly less than a third of the way to the stated useless spread of a 10 foot diameter at 30 feet, so I'd say about... a 3-4 foot diameter as it reaches you? Huh. Smaller than I expected.

Feel free to play with those values however you need to in order to make your post interesting, which is after all the point.
AQ  Post #: 60
6/28/2010 7:42:36   
ringulreith

Okay, couple questions. First, what do you mean by "virtical compass"? I'm just a bit confused by the formation of the spikes you threw at me.

Secondly, about your wall. It's made of stone, I assume. How thick/tall/wide (approximately) is it? Also, is it only on one side or is it similar to your metal box ability?

And I'm going to beat you senseless for rendering one of my meteor hammers useless!
Post #: 61
6/28/2010 17:26:37   
Ruin

I PM'd Krey and he told me to explain in the ooc, not really sure what he meant...
AQ  Post #: 62
6/28/2010 18:10:35   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Lycan, PM me, I want to know what is going on here.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 63
6/29/2010 5:55:30   
Strebor

@ Ont, if I made a typo, I'm sorry :(. I meant, "vertical compass", which is basically 3x3 spikes flying at you, roughly spread out to cover all bases. (No jumping around!) E.g.:

X....X....X
X....X....X
X....X....X

Imagine your character is behind that dot-to-dot.
Post #: 64
6/29/2010 7:24:10   
demonhunter

Disarmed, and a tad bruised, but not broken. Jonathan is now playing mind games.
AQ DF  Post #: 65
6/29/2010 17:45:32   
ringulreith

@strebor: Can you tell me the dimentions of the wall, aproximately? And is the cube closed on all sides?
Post #: 66
6/29/2010 21:47:39   
Guardian of Nekops

Post is up! Oou, a shiny new dagger. ^^

To all concerned; and if you are in Cellar, you had better be concerned, I have flooded the center of the arena with Darkness. I actually did this in my last post, but am now filling in the edges that would have left you loopholes. This process is gradual, and you have time to move if your character catches on.

This should not cause many problems, as the area between the four pillars has been largely unclaimed. Until now. It is mine. The pillars themselves and the space beyond is still fair game and clear of shadow, but their inside edges and the space between them not so much. So if you're hiding from someone on the edges behind a pillar... might start thinking about hiding from the person in the center. :-P

You are welcome to fight me for the area, of course, but it remains filled with Darkness, which Jarvis can see in and which your character probably cannot. Not "moonless night" darkness, magical, elemental Darkness. Of a rather harmless variety, but still.

That said, if your character is still in Jarvis's territory by the time I post my next post, it is likely to be attacked from a direction it does not expect. You have been warned.
AQ  Post #: 67
6/29/2010 22:30:41   
demonhunter

:o My knife!! THIEF!!
AQ DF  Post #: 68
6/29/2010 22:54:40   
Guardian of Nekops

I will face you one on one any time you like... I'll wait here, between the pillars.

In the Dark. :-P
AQ  Post #: 69
6/29/2010 22:59:47   
demonhunter

Still a coward :P
AQ DF  Post #: 70
6/29/2010 23:01:44   
Guardian of Nekops

He says from behind the pillar. :-P
AQ  Post #: 71
6/29/2010 23:19:21   
demonhunter

Before moving out to face you down like a man :P
AQ DF  Post #: 72
6/29/2010 23:39:17   
Guardian of Nekops

And darting back behind the pillar after an attack and a few seconds of manliness? :-P

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Otherwise, you would have already charged into the center of the arena to challenge me. Preferably screaming, "Die, evildoer!" Or some such.

That's the sort of thing you good types do, right? :-P
AQ  Post #: 73
6/29/2010 23:54:21   
demonhunter

Good? Where did you get that idea?

Jon bez Neutral.

He ain't darting back behind the pillar unless he needs to avoid your attack again.
AQ DF  Post #: 74
6/30/2010 16:27:36   
TormentedDragon

Forum errors aren't fun. let's see if posting in here helps.

Well. It sort of did. To explain: the forums, through some strange confluence of errors, failed to send through a post by Mittoo. We have a nonexistent fourth page, until someone else posts again!

< Message edited by TormentedDragon -- 6/30/2010 16:29:41 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =EC 2010= Cellar Arena OOC
Page 3 of 5<12345>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition