Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Comments For :::Goldtoes::: Enter The Green Dragon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Comments For :::Goldtoes::: Enter The Green Dragon
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/19/2010 5:05:55   
Zerosautomatics

The story is here: :::Goldtoes::: Enter The Green Dragon

Thank you for reading :)))

I am looking for lots of feedback to better the chapter and generally the whole story in general, and if you like it, tell me and I will post a second chapter :)

< Message edited by Zerosautomatics -- 7/19/2010 5:09:31 >
MQ  Post #: 1
7/21/2010 14:27:22   
Fleur Du Mal

Hiya!

Plot- and characterwise you have an intriguing start here, in my opinion. =) It's an interesting read so far with all the surroundings described as well. For now, I think the dwarf Zume stood apart as the one character with most personality.

Technique-wise, I think you might be running towards overtly complicated sentences here and there. This is, of course, a matter of opinion, but some of them could be split into shorter sentences (especially around descriptive parts), whereas others could be straightened out by cutting down repetition, and purrhaps, that would make the writing more flowing. In my opinion, especially repeating the names of the characters as often as you have, may make the writing a bit choppy and repetitive.

Another matter of personal taste would be, when portraying events, the choice between the characters actively doing something and an action done by them being observed. I think choosing the latter too often can result in wordiness and in losing some clarity under much wordiness. For example, in here:
quote:

The tall figure, Thomas, swung around and boxed Donuz in the ears, a sharp squeal of pain issuing from Donuz in response.

Why simply not state that Donuz squealed in pain or let out a squeal of pain? To me, all the words at the end of this sentence merely clutter it up and move the reader father away from the story. In my opinion, it changes the thrilling experience to reading observation notes. It is like the difference between writing:
a) Speeding around the corner, the black Audi vanished into the night.
and
b) The black Audi was last observed speeding around the corner, after which it could not be seen anymore.

So, long story short, I'd suggest streamlining lengthy sentences like the one quoted above to simpler ones, and while doing so, moving the events into action instead of observation. Eg:
quote:

The tall figure, Thomas, swung around and boxed Donuz in the ears, causing him to squeal in pain.

or
quote:

The tall figure, Thomas, swung around and boxed his companion in the ears. Momentarily deafened by the blow, Donuz squealed horribly in pain.

There were other sentences like this, that, in my opinion, could be straightened out. These are just suggestions though, and of course, altering anything is totally up to you.

Happy writing! =)
DF  Post #: 2
7/24/2010 11:43:49   
Zerosautomatics

Thank you so much for the critique, I will post the edited copy soon with the next chapter.

I love the BattleOn forums because nobody is a hater. :)

Just good, positive, constructive criticism. Builds strong bones and good writing.

< Message edited by Zerosautomatics -- 7/24/2010 11:45:13 >
MQ  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Comments For :::Goldtoes::: Enter The Green Dragon
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition