Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 21 of 30«<1920212223>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/19/2010 21:06:14   
icemaster 77

Same thing with MQ on extreme, but AQ normal attacks are just quick slashs and stabs and most of their weapons have one attack. But in MQ, most weapons have multipe attacks.
MQ AQW  Post #: 501
11/19/2010 21:07:17   
stealthwings
Helpful

No, it depends on which weapon you use. Also, how much damage do they do?

And why would you farm on extreme?
DF MQ  Post #: 502
11/19/2010 21:09:57   
NaturallyMaria
Ebil Empress

On the new player side, I think one of the biggest factors in staleness is the lack of new LOOKING mechas at lower levels.

For NSC players (which includes ALL new players...), once you're done with the Newbatron, you progress to either the House mecha, the Fastflash, or to the prize of whichever Soluna job you chose first. For the next several levels, from about levels 10-19, hardly anything new is introduced, and the new ones are generally so weak that your level 12/13 choice is better. An upgraded version of the same Valkyrie/Werewolf/Mecharoni you already have is hardly exciting, and if you didn't like the last version, chances are you won't be thrilled about something that looks exactly the same. Things get much better around 20, but by then, potential new players are already lost.

Let's break this down level by level-

5-
Newbatron- The obvious choice for everyone landing in Soluna. Nothing else to say, really.
Ghost Hunter- Is this a joke? It would be nice to actually be able to GET this before level 20 or so...

6-
Feral Werewolf- ...
House Mecha- The ONLY good choice for EVERYONE at this level. Great, if you picked a house you like. Since you don't get to see the mechas before choosing your house though, it's kind of a shot in the dark for newbies.

7-
Fastflash- The lack of shoulder slots sucks, but the arms only have 1 CD, so it's not a big deal. On one hand, it's the first interesting-looking mecha that you can get, and pretty cool in that sense. On the other hand, you have to actually know it's on Zargon. A new player has no reason to randomly fly to Zargon, especially at such a low level. Might as well not even exist for now.

8-
Police Mecha- A good solid choice. It feels like a beginner mech, a perfect introduction for anyone who wants to be a true soldier later on.
Deluxe Mecharoni- Another solid choice. It looks a little silly, good for players who prefer a light-hearted game, but its power level is about on par with the Police Mecha. It would be a great choice, if it wasn't for...
Extra Sauce Mecharoni- It's a level 13 mecha, made available at level 8. Totally and completely breaks the game, and is the ONLY mecha worth using until... uh... Well, until you unlock the real level 13 Mecharoni, which should be level 18... >_>

9-
Rabid Werewolf- The final prize for the police missions, interesting because it's the first defensive mecha. I think it looks terrible, personally, but I know others like it. Would be a great choice, if the Mecharoni didn't exist.

10-
Skuld- Considering that nothing takes longer than six turns to kill at this level, DoTs aren't all that helpful yet. Probably the worst of the bottom-tier Soluna job prizes, and probably the least popular looks-wise as well.
Tyrano- If you can't kill in 6 turns, you die. Period. I cannot find a single redeeming quality about Tyrano, aside from just looking awesome.

Now, that's basically it for a while. Your choices: House, Fastflash, Mecharoni, Police, Werewolf, Valkyrie, Tyrano. I hope you like one of those, because that's really all you're getting for a while without REALLY working for it. Pretty much everything for the next few levels is either a re-hash of a low-level design, or is just inferior to those re-hashes. Every level from here on out only has one choice, and if you don't like that one choice, you're pretty much screwed.

11- Shadow E2 (unequippable)
12- Geekatron (very cool, but absurdly expensive), another House, another Werewolf
13- another Mecharoni
14- Deputy (thematically similar to police, much weaker than level 12/13 choices), another Valkyrie, another Fastflash
15- nothing
16- Wrangler (barely stronger than level 12/13 choices), another Police
17- Drakel Power Armor (still weaker than level 12/13 choices, rather hard to find)
18- Geist Hunter (I still don't think anyone manages to finish Ghost Hunting by this level, and for those that did, there's no more ghosts to catch anyway)
19- Khael Serpent (probably the first GOOD new mecha since the level 13 Mecharoni)

After 20, you get another House, the Yokai mechas, the Arthuria/Lagos mechas, the V-Trapper, more war/event rares, etc... Lots of fine choices. But like I said, going from level 10-20 with minimal variety will turn most new players away, especially considering how slow leveling is in this game. You really can't count upgraded versions of other mechas as added variety, simply because they don't FEEL new and exciting anymore.

My first proposal is making some of the SC choices from Tek's available for NSCs, preferably as rewards for completing GEARS classes. The Volt Thorn and Battle Hammer represent two distinct styles of battling, and would be great to represent different student types at GEARS. Add in an upgraded Katana/Newbatron model for the moderates, and you have a trio of mechas that could make the early game much more fun. It also gives the impression that being a full-time GEARS student is just as valid as being a hospital intern or amateur detective, and that GEARS really is a top-notch pilot academy that puts its students on the front lines.

I'd also propose that the house mechas get similar treatment. The basic models are fine as they are, but later models could branch out and expand on different aspects of that house's specialty. Wolfblade, for example, could get an upgraded version of the base model, a second model that focuses on stunning and fast kills, and a third model built for tanking, EP drain, and defense piercing. Runehawk could add a second model that focuses more on EP destruction, and a third that builds a lot more HP/EP DoT. These are just rough examples that I haven't fully thought through yet, but what's important is the sheer quantity of choices. Not only would this add more variety in general, but it would make the houses seem that much more important, and GEARS in general being bigger than it is now. This would in turn make GEARS feel more important, and would help add more personality to a relatively soulless area (not to mention filling huge mecha gaps between 10-20).

Naturally, it only makes sense that the non-GEARS quests are expanded as well. I think the police job has it perfect, with two tiers of prizes, memorable villains, and an exciting conclusion. The hospital is pretty good too, though not quite as refined in my opinion. The pizza, museum, and especially ghost hunting jobs all need a pretty big overhaul though, to make them all equally engaging and worthwhile for new players.

I think it's important to note that Soluna is the first impression for new players, so the key to expanding the player base is perfecting Soluna before adding any more planets or other quest chains. That said, Soluna needs a clear introduction (landing, first day of school, intro classes), main mission (basic job completion, advanced classes), mission ending (advanced job completion, GEARS graduation), and final test (Kingadent and Crystal Asteroid missions). As it is, the game just kind of dumps you in Soluna with limited direction. I think this gives new players the impression that it doesn't really matter what order you complete things in Soluna, which can result in being either drastically overleveled or underleveled for particular things. The game never really pressures you to complete the GEARS missions, so new players also aren't really given the impression that the game gets so much bigger and better once you finally leave Soluna. New players also aren't really given the impression that planets should be tackled in a certain order, to get the most out of the game experience.

To summarize, Soluna needs to be more linear. The game should tell you to start the basic piloting classes, to go pick a city job (and finish ONE job to earn its reward, not just try all the jobs without finishing any of them >_>), then to work your way to the top of your class so that you can be selected for a special mission. The game needs to let you know that Soluna is just the training ground, and there's a big war with offensive fronts on multiple planets, and it's up to you to rush out and help save the worlds. I don't mean that the game should be made entirely linear, but a little more gentle nudging (and more rewards for following the nudges) would be much appreciated.
MQ  Post #: 503
11/19/2010 21:10:26   
icemaster 77

"How much time does it take to kill an enemy in AQ? It also depends on enemy HP, and weapon damage"

Same on extreme, I don't farm there.

Didn't I said most?

I agree with Maria. The low lv mechs don't have much varitey.

< Message edited by icemaster 77 -- 11/19/2010 21:12:23 >
MQ AQW  Post #: 504
11/19/2010 21:14:08   
stealthwings
Helpful

yes, you did. But why would you use a weapon with a long animation time for farming? And if it takes the same amount of time as an extreme mode enemy, then MQ is faster.

@NaturallyMaria
What is wrong with the feral werewolf?

I think that they should do to soluna what they did to the dropship. Overhaul everything to make it more new player friendly. Then, it will be better for new players, and more will come.

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 11/19/2010 21:16:14 >
DF MQ  Post #: 505
11/19/2010 21:18:00   
icemaster 77

Some AQ enemies are easy and short to kill with the right stats than in MQ.

MQ AQW  Post #: 506
11/19/2010 21:18:45   
stealthwings
Helpful

But how much EXP do they give you compared to how much you need?
DF MQ  Post #: 507
11/19/2010 21:20:28   
icemaster 77

1 level to 10 exp ratio.
MQ AQW  Post #: 508
11/19/2010 21:20:40   
NaturallyMaria
Ebil Empress

There's nothing objectively wrong with the Werewolf mechas. I just don't like the way they look, but I'm sure others do.

The level 6 model though... How are you supposed to even unlock it when you're around that level?
MQ  Post #: 509
11/19/2010 21:22:02   
icemaster 77

You're right, most people are above lv 6 after they unlocked the shop.
MQ AQW  Post #: 510
11/19/2010 21:24:56   
stealthwings
Helpful

Good point. Do you think it would be a good idea if they just buffed the HMs to be good mecha for their level? Then, players would be able to get them as a good, reliable mecha, which comes every few levels. They are very easy to unlock, just join a house.
DF MQ  Post #: 511
11/19/2010 21:33:18   
Mstorm

As I said, there's a lot of room to add story and characters to Soluna while also making it new-player friendly - I think it's fine that the jobs aren't linear, but logically, your progress through classes and school at the university should be pretty linear. So maybe not so much a total Soluna overhaul, but a Gears University overhaul. As suggested by Maria earlier, add some rivals and allies and interesting people among your classmates, add teachers who actually, y'know, do stuff occasionally...school's a pretty interesting experience for most people, rife with lots of drama. And that's in real life, without giant robots and alien invasions. Making it interesting in MQ ought to be easy.

Setting up a cast of characters among the fellow students would also give them some characters to work with for wars and later storylines, people you'd care about because you got to know them over the course of some classes and who have just as much reason as you do to be fighting all those wars and messing around on strange planets.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 512
11/19/2010 21:35:29   
stealthwings
Helpful

I think that they should overhaul soluna a bit, even if not by that much. I agree, gears should get a bigger one, but soluna should get at least a small one.
DF MQ  Post #: 513
11/19/2010 21:36:27   
icemaster 77

After or before the new planet comes, the MQ could update the whole of Soluna and the university for a month.
MQ AQW  Post #: 514
11/19/2010 21:38:58   
stealthwings
Helpful

After, we haven't had some new story in quite some time.

But afterwards, they should update it.

Or, make a planet similar to lagos. A long buildup, and then ending in a really long war. (Make sure the war doesn't come for quite some time, until players are ready for one) While the war is going on, overhaul soluna.
DF MQ  Post #: 515
11/19/2010 21:44:35   
NaturallyMaria
Ebil Empress

Honestly, I'm a little unfamiliar with the concept of school "houses". Maybe it's just not an American thing?

Trite as this might sound, I had no concept of school "houses" prior to Harry Potter. As such, that's where I'm getting the idea that more house involvement in the story would be good. With the movie being released today, I wouldn't mind seeing some new items or quests inspired by it.
MQ  Post #: 516
11/19/2010 21:45:31   
stealthwings
Helpful

I think they are kinda like sororities/fraternities.
DF MQ  Post #: 517
11/19/2010 21:46:45   
Hellsoarer

We can improve MechQuest by upgrading the job mechs (leveling them up)

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 518
11/19/2010 21:47:46   
stealthwings
Helpful

No.

The main problem with MQ are the lower levels. We have quite a few high level mecha.
DF MQ  Post #: 519
11/19/2010 21:48:05   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

@Caotica White: I'd like to defend Warlic but a lot of it comes down to whether he left or he was pulled away. For now, I say we wait. Korin and Maegwyn are reading these responses so I suggest we stay constructive. I understand your frustrations, I feel it too, but from here we just have to be patient. I'm assuming the releases from the past few weeks have been smaller in order to make time for bigger things in the future.

One of the problems with MQ having such a small team is that it is the least disaster proof. If something happened to Warlic, we basically didn't get a release. I could sympathize with him that day he had car trouble because I've had bad and worse but the other AE games have more to fall back on and it's not right for MQ to be stuck. Likewise, Korin gets sick and we're in a similar situation.

quote:

Tyrano- If you can't kill in 6 turns, you die. Period. I cannot find a single redeeming quality about Tyrano, aside from just looking awesome.

I'd like to see a standard Soluna enemy that can actually manage to kill a Tyranno in 6 turns. Granted, mine wasn't the NSC version so I had a bit more padding but Tyranno is the kind of mecha where you do rely on DOTs from purchased weapons and purposely skip turns. It's one of the worst mecha for farming but built right it can wade through things. The issue for NSCs is that they have a vastly smaller selection of DOT weaponry and DOTs are the main thing I'd suggest for Tyranno's revival.

Ghost hunting actually can be finished early, it's just tedious without NGs. Actually, it's a bad idea to use a high level mecha since you run the risk of constant overkill and thus not being able to catch the ghosts.

I disagreed with just how little Hard/Extreme give as a boost when implemented and I still don't agree. It breaks the concept of risk versus reward because more difficult enemies should offer better rewards. If it's an anti-farming measure, it's a little mis-aimed. There's other things that should be bigger targets.
DF MQ  Post #: 520
11/19/2010 21:51:40   
stealthwings
Helpful

It isn't. It is for people who want bossfights to be a challenge. It is not for farming. It might be a good idea to up the rewards and make it for farming though.

I finished ghost hunting somewhere around 20ish 23ish, when I had a mecha which could get tech phantoms catchable in 1 hit.
DF MQ  Post #: 521
11/19/2010 21:56:41   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

quote:

Honestly, I'm a little unfamiliar with the concept of school "houses". Maybe it's just not an American thing?

Pretty sure they're meant to be sororities/fraternities for colleges. However, I think some private schools have varying divisions students are grouped in.
DF MQ  Post #: 522
11/19/2010 22:11:45   
Mstorm

Pretty sure the fact that we all play MQ and yet we're still a little fuzzy on what "houses" are supposed to be all about shows they need an overhaul. :P

I viewed them as being basically like the Hogwarts houses, too, and so yeah, I guess I assumed they were a British thing? Or maybe just a completely fictional thing?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 523
11/20/2010 0:01:02   
icemaster 77

I thought "Houses" are a family who owns a territory.
MQ AQW  Post #: 524
11/20/2010 1:07:50   
Spidercliff

I have something to add. IMHO: All these "promotional mechs" are part of the problem. They make a great mech. And it would probably make the game alive and awesome. But then they decide that you can only get it with a calendar. Or an Art Book. Only from a T Shirt. Only from etc... Aside from that, work on the overall artwork of mechs. The Viking, Psychic Wing, Vladic Shadowknight, and even the V-Hunter to some extent, are all examples of prime and amazing artwork. I'd like to point out the Vladic Shadowknight in particular. It's sleek, body parts are proportional, and it has some nice glowing effects. Now you can't color it. But in this case it's fine, because the colors they chose make it look great. Now. On TOP of this, it's a great Mech, which is why it's a Nova Mech. Now. The only thing left is for them to put THAT amount of effort, into normal mechs. The latest mech? The one that came from the Evil Jim concert? I opened the shop to look at it. 3 seconds later I closed it and logged off MechQuest. It looks hideous. It's just my personal opinion of course, but I find nothing at all attractive from it. THAT, is what ruins a part of this game.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 21 of 30«<1920212223>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition