Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

A question for L&Lers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> A question for L&Lers
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/14/2010 23:41:30   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

I have been thinking... and yes, doing such piles more work on my plate and my staff's plate. I should stop doing that really...

Anyway

Back to thinking. In MonsterMike9000's thread, we are talking about ways to improve our writing. Discussions play a big part, but then, I had this epiphany. Many of you recall the post, probably. I think someone got worried.

What would you think of like a bi-monthly exercise in writing. Topics would vary from effective dialogue, to detail, to starting a story, etc. Not a class, per se, but me or one of my staff posting something for practice? I do this stuff for my writing classes.

Please discuss and give honest feedback, whether negative or positive.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/14/2010 23:59:34   
Mordred

I'd love this! We do much the same thing at my school's Lit Club, except bi-weekly! I was only a freshman, and we had few members, but somehow, I'm only a sophomore and seem to be the leader, now. Mostly because we only had freshmen and seniors last year... I digress! This is an excellent idea! Also, great use of "epiphany"! Everyone has room for improvement, and what better way than to regulalarly stretch your skills? I personally need help with forming the beginning of my L&L.

< Message edited by Mordred -- 10/15/2010 0:00:42 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
10/15/2010 0:13:20   
Baker

Sounds great to me (/me emerges from lurking). It would be great to learn from others (they say the best way to improve is to steal techniques :P), and it'd be fun to see what different people can create from the same prompt. It would also give me an excuse to get back into posting around here until I can get organized enough to put up some of my newer stuff. Other than the added workload to your staff, I can only see positive things coming out of the idea.

< Message edited by Bballman23 -- 10/15/2010 0:16:20 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
10/15/2010 0:15:00   
alexmacf

This would be good for me. I try and practice the stuff I'm weak in, but I often just skip it because of time limits. ^^;;
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
10/15/2010 0:55:50   
superjars

This is something I've also been thinking about when I was posting in MonsterMike's thread. There's always some part of writing to work on and having everyone focus on the same thing brings us closer together as a community. And I'm always up for doing more work! :P
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
10/15/2010 1:15:22   
Shreder

I would be more than willing to put in the work to write an exercise or two on poetry-related stuff...
DF MQ  Post #: 6
10/15/2010 5:13:32   
Xirminator

I know I'm not around here much, but it occurred to me in that same thread that majority of the people come here primarily seeking advice and writing tips, so this is a good idea.
AQ DF  Post #: 7
10/15/2010 6:00:35   
Khimera

Can I just quote Xirminator's post? No? Aww... ;-;

Anyway, this would be a great idea - Improving one's writing skills is always good, and, like the Books project, this would encourage more community-based thinking.
Post #: 8
10/15/2010 6:10:16   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

@ Khimera:
quote:

I know I'm not around here much, but it occurred to me in that same thread that majority of the people come here primarily seeking advice and writing tips, so this is a good idea.

But I can. :)

And I agree. ^_^
Post #: 9
10/15/2010 9:02:52   
Torn

Sounds like a great idea; I'll be willing to try it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 10
10/20/2010 20:12:30   
The Bansheebot

I'd be down with this, especially if there was a poetry aspect as well.
Post #: 11
10/20/2010 21:57:28   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Poetry will be a topic, trust me. I actually teach a poetry class to HS next semester, plus our resident Raven has poetic talents. I am sure that we will have something for you.

I have some ideas from my Staff already, along with my own.

So tell me, what is the one thing you think you need to work on the most?

This way, I can gauge what everyone needs.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
10/20/2010 22:56:22   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Characterization, on my part. They tend to stagnate.
Post #: 13
10/20/2010 23:05:47   
Mordred

The beginnings of my stories. Only Mordred's Vengeance is up, but it doesn't start all that well. But I have the whole ending planned, and I think it's awesome. But, yes, I need to work on the beginning.

< Message edited by Mordred -- 10/20/2010 23:06:01 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
10/20/2010 23:49:16   
MonsterMike9000

I love you guys.. *Sniff*
AQ  Post #: 15
10/21/2010 2:09:00   
Xirminator

Well, I'd say description of characters is the thing that is bugging me the most.
AQ DF  Post #: 16
10/21/2010 2:55:20   
  Zyrain
The Arcane

Ooo I like this idea!
Thank you MonsterMike9000. ;)

I imagine this will/would be something similar to Creative Art's Student Teacher Organization?
But it being less individual and more focused on certain 'topics'.

ZyZy cannot wait. :3
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
10/21/2010 9:23:39   
alexmacf

Effective dialog, here.

It just doesn't work half the time.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 18
10/21/2010 18:18:42   
The Bansheebot

Poetry:
I really need to learn to lengthen out my poems. I find halfway through that I can't think of anything else to say, even though I haven't even said what I've wanted to say.
I also really need to learn how to rhyme effectively without using the 'cliche' rhymes, and even simple stuff like rhyming a one syllable word to a three syllable word.
And I really really really need to learn how to move from one topic to another smoothly.
Post #: 19
10/21/2010 21:32:50   
Baker

I'd vote for dialogue and/or characterization. I don't do much of either and would love to work on both.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
10/24/2010 11:27:10   
superjars

What I'm seeing is poetry, dialog and characterization (assuming that means making them interesting and believable and things like that). I will also subscribe to wanting tips on writing poetry (my own is decent, but nothing terribly amazing) and am excited to develop dialog and characterization exercises (as an RPer, this stuff is totally right down my alley).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 21
10/27/2010 20:10:28   
mastin2

Rewrites--we all need to do them, eventually. (Especially with NaNoWriMo coming up...)
Battle Scenes WITH dialog. Why? Well...Dialog? Fine. Nice 'n' easy. Battle Scenes? Okay, so maybe just battle scenes in general. Battlefields, one-on-ones, and ranting "I'm better than you" in PARAGRAPHS to the other combatant. All skills I need desperately for my novel. ;)
How to write a scene from multiple perspectives would be helpful, too--I've got two versions of the characters early on: how they're perceived in third, and the more biased opinion presented in first. It's hard to do, so if anyone has some tips in that way, it'd be neat to do. :)
Post #: 22
12/28/2010 11:48:47   
Helixi

I'd like this idea to be implemented, but I'd prefer it if it WERE a class. The way Eukara has phrased her first post, it makes it sound as if no help will be given with the task, which I'm sure isn't true. Clarify this bit?

I'd like to improve my essay writing, poetry, description of places and people in stories and my editing skills, if at all possible.

< Message edited by Helixi -- 12/28/2010 11:49:27 >
AQ DF  Post #: 23
12/28/2010 12:21:15   
The Doctor

Hey what?
This seems like a fantastic idea.

I'm more of a poetry guy myself, but when it comes down to writing...
Well, I suppose that something I could do with working on would be writing with a different voice than I usually do.

Thank you,
~The Doctor

Epic  Post #: 24
12/28/2010 12:25:43   
.::oDrew

perhaps the exercises could be organized in such a way that as one follows along with the exercises, they're writing the next part of their story. that is, the first exercises would deal with the things one must do before or very early on in the story writing process -- such as developing characters -- and then progress onto the meat of things, writing a good scene and authentic dialogue, things like that. finally, strategies for ending, reviewing, and revising stories would be discussed. seems like a logical setup.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> A question for L&Lers
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition