Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Combo System

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Combo System
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/1/2011 7:40:52   
Silver Sky Magician

As EpicDuel progresses, the creativity of players in making effective builds, as well as the success of non-varium players in defeating varium players, drops. Now I'm not here to criticize this, but I would like to introduce an idea that will encourage creativity and increase the chances of non-varium players being able to beat varium ones.

The Combo system! When you do a combination of three skills, you will have a bonus effect. For example, a merc doing Maul+Double Strike+Berserker will have a Berserker that ignores 20% defense.

Some of you will lambast this example, with all the usual arguments of mercs being overpowered. This is not the point. The special effect could be an unblockable, added damage, reduced MP cost, changing element (physical/energy) to the opponent's defense/resistance depending on which is weaker, destroying rage, increased critical chance, added defense, increased stun chance, life drain, passive HP/EP recovery for the next few turns etc.

Again, if a Bounty Hunter does Smokescreen+Cheap Shot+Venom Strike, the Venom Strike can do 13 poison damage instead of the usual 11 at max. Or if the Bounty Hunter does Reflex Boost+Stun Grenade+EMP grenade, there can be an added effect of disrupting the opponent's combo (i.e. the opponent does not get the added effect when he completes the combo)

Tech mages could use a Bludgeon+Malfunction+Assimilation combo for a drain of 50% of the opponent's max EP.

The possibilities are endless! Strength mercs, using the earlier example, will have to add more to energy to utilise the combo system. Lesser-used skills, like technician, could suddenly become useful again with this system. Skills can be part of multiple combos, for example Reflex Boost could be used for the Reflex Boost+Stun Grenade+EMP Grenade combo, as well as a Reflex Boost+Energy Shield+Field Medic combo resulting in 30% more heal.

There could be some requirements, for example at least one skill in the combo being maxed out, and that the three skills have to be done all in a row before the combo effect can be activated. Maybe they will all need to hit (for blockable skills) for the combo effect, maybe not.

The combo system will give rise to a myriad of new builds. Best of all, the combo system (which skill goes with which other skills for a specific combo) will NOT be reflected in the skill tree! It's a matter of time when all the combos surface on the forum, but meanwhile happy experimenting everyone!

I know some of my examples may be ridiculously bad, but please don't comment on them. Please DO comment, however, on your thoughts about this combo system.

Let's just use in one area instead A Comprehensive Balance Discussion to discuss for balancing. Thanks. :) ~AVA

< Message edited by AVA -- 2/6/2011 9:03:35 >
Post #: 1
2/1/2011 7:44:41   
evil2k8

The problem with this is, what happens if the player gets blocked midway through the combination? They cannot repeat the combo because the player may not have enough energy to repeat. The only way this would work is if every class had "Reroute" and at the end of the day, an EMP grenade can take out the combination.

I like the idea, but at EpicDuel's current state, this could be impractical.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
2/1/2011 8:01:40   
sky222

^^Well tough luck for that player XD
This could also help balance classes by giving mage better combos
My ideas:
CasterCombo:Plasmarain+OL+Bolt=Bolt with 30% def ignore and 25% crit chance
BolterCombo:Malf+Technician+Bolt=Bolt has 50% more dmg and 5% extra crit chance
Cant hit me!!:Bloodshield+Intimidate+Maul=Maul with 20% extra stun chance
Too Bad!:EMP+Mass+CheapShot=Cheapshot with 50% chnce of crit

< Message edited by sky222 -- 2/5/2011 15:02:31 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
2/1/2011 8:16:22   
Snaipera

@Evil ,then you can't use that combo for this fight . Too bad . Bring boosters .
I like this so I'm going to support it .
AQW Epic  Post #: 4
2/1/2011 9:21:46   
IsaiahtheMage

Um no becaus eif some takes away your EP or someone ruins your combo then your done.And what makes you think everyone is gonna get boosters?People need to save up for stuff ya know.
AQW Epic  Post #: 5
2/1/2011 9:28:21   
Snaipera

Too bad , the combo is ruined for you . Same as skills like artillery being taken away by an EMP .
AQW Epic  Post #: 6
2/1/2011 9:36:38   
IsaiahtheMage

@Snapiara Then the game will be very unbalanced no "too bad" the combo is ruined NO it should not be ruined everyone should have a chance to use it with having to use boosters.So I say HECK NOO to this!
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
2/1/2011 9:40:38   
Snaipera

It's a new and interesting feature , has a lot to be done about it though . I would like to see this since the game will be even more evolved . I don't want to simply click 2 buttons and get the win/loss screen every once in a while , I want to actually have some fun
AQW Epic  Post #: 8
2/1/2011 9:48:17   
IsaiahtheMage

So do I.But I still think this will ruin balance in the game.

< Message edited by IsaiahtheMage -- 2/1/2011 11:44:52 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
2/1/2011 9:55:32   
Fay Beeee

This would not work for me as I do a multi build, with choices. sorry

Epic  Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Combo System
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition