Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[Critique Requested] A Guardian Tale

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> [Critique Requested] A Guardian Tale
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/29/2011 22:04:11   
sysdragonfable

*click*

No harsh or rude comments, only harsh helpful comments.

thank you to those who take there time to help me.

*Chapter 1 is up, please review and tell me how it is/what needs to be fixed.

**(dont mind Ebilcorp...)Chapter 2 is up(still revising and editing it as we speak!)

< Message edited by sysdragonfable -- 10/3/2011 19:20:15 >

DF  Post #: 1
9/30/2011 18:32:20   
Xirminator

I'm a bit busy at the moment but I will read it tomorrow and leave you some comments soon. I'll definitely have some sort of critique up by this time tomorrow.
AQ DF  Post #: 2
9/30/2011 19:16:27   
sysdragonfable

No rush, there are many more people that needs help and i can work on this anytime really(thank god schools easy)
DF  Post #: 3
9/30/2011 19:58:22   
Oddmanthefirst

There are a lot of grammar mistakes that you should address. A lot of them are capitalization with a few sentence structure errors. I will try to adjust some of the sentence structures.

quote:

This story is but of one of three heros whos fate was decided even before the days they were born. before i tell you the tale i should tell you a little bit of themselves.

This story is but of one of three heroes whose fates were decided even before the days they were born. Before I tell you the tale, I should tell you a little bit about them.

Reasoning: Adjusted possessive and verbs to plural. Sentence structure flows a lot better with the introduction of commas as well as changing themselves to them.

quote:

Born in a small town known as Haven she was treated with disdain and an outcast for she was cursed with the gift of magic. such a shame that a child be born with misunderstood power.

Born in a small town known as Haven, Grace was treated with disdain and as an outcast for her gift of magic. It is such a shame that her town misunderstood her power for a curse rather than as a gift.

Reasoning: You can change the sentence structure to this if you would like. You have to change "and an outcast" with "as an outcast" because outcast is a noun and not an adjective. You can't say 'I treat this person an outcast'. I also changed up the second half of the sentence because you seem to contradict yourself. You first say that she was cursed with the power, but then changed it to a gift. I understood what you were talking about, however your meaning was convoluted by this contradiction.

There are a lot of other grammatical errors that you should check that I did not mention in this critique. Don't forget about your there, their, and they're's!

This is just from personal experience, but I feel that indirect characterization is always more powerful. I am not saying that direct characterization is bad by any means, however indirect characterization is more emotional. What this means is that I want you describe your characters through their actions rather than just telling the reader who they are. Think about any book you have ever read. We are never just told who our protagonist is, but rather we discover them as the story progresses. Not only is this more effective, but a closer relationship kindles between the reader and the character.

I know I may have sounded kind of harsh, but I did really enjoy your story. It is just minor grammatical errors that are bringing this story down. You just have to take writing one step at a time, and you will get better as you progress. Also try reading your story out loud, this usually helps with grammar issues and commas. I hope to see more of you, you have potential. Good luck.
AQ DF  Post #: 4
9/30/2011 21:34:01   
sysdragonfable

Thank you Oldman(the last time I said that to someone I got slapped acrossed the face) your input is well apprieciated and i agree with the "developing characters" part...I am actually thinking about adding that, but since the characters have unique backgrounds I had no idea how to introduce them rather than in the middle of the story they tell there story or tid bits of there past along the way.

Well, I should fix those errors before I go to bed and forget.

thanks again.
DF  Post #: 5
9/30/2011 22:21:46   
Oddmanthefirst

Your welcome. And I am only 17 haha, no old man here. I guess you were just playing around with my username.

Flashbacks are a great way to talk about one's past. For example, since Jordan was a thief before he was a guardian, maybe write about a flashback where he was stealing something or was apprehended for his crime. Or you can even right about how he became a guardian in the first place. You don't have to do just flashbacks. Mannerisms, personality, actions, and small references all shape your characters in which ever way you choose. Good luck sys!
AQ DF  Post #: 6
10/1/2011 19:04:40   
Xirminator

Alright, since you said you become business-like when you're writing, I shall try to be as frank as possible.

quote:

now my main concern with this is i did not put enough detail in the Grace and Jordon characters as i should of, i mean the Arthur character takes up twice as much as they do. but since Arthur is the main character i thought he should recieve more time on paper(or screen...whatever). Another concern is if i should talk about the main villain a little as it is basically talking about the main characters but i am just not sure.

In the prologue, the three characters appeared to be equally important, since you introduce them with each other. Since you have only a prologue and one chapter so far, Arthur is not ahead of the others by far.

The first recommendation I will make is one based on my personal preference. There are many people who introduce characters like you did, immediately giving their background and telling us about. While this method works, I like introducing them gradually, so that I can show more of their personality. You showed the differences in their personalities rather clearly and explained them in the prologue, it is possible to show these things (and even write about their background) indirectly, through conversation, for example. By introducing everything gradually, you can also get right into the action immediately.

Let's take Arthur's introduction, for example.

quote:

Last but not least, the leader known as Arthur whose tale is sad and unfortunate but not without a happy ending. Arthur was born in a small village whose name is lost to history now. Arthur lived with his father, a guard and best swordsman in town, and his mother, typical housewife which her only desire was her son to be happy. Arthur, even though eight at the time, learned some skills of the blade from his father.(His father was not by all accounts the best, but enough to handle a bandit or so.) As Arthur was out in the woods one night his hometown was raided by bandits who knew only death and loot. His father was the first to fall and surely not the last. As Arthur returned all that waited for him was a town of ashes and death, it was that day that a piece of Arthur died as he no longer trusted anyone and stayed out of the sight of humanity. He buried his parents, what remains he could find, and took only his fathers sword and the lessons that he took to heart. About fourteen years pass before Arthur enters the gaurdian ranks and during that time Arthur began learning the monsters way of living. Becoming more and more bestial like he learned valuable skills from monsters that kept him alive, not only that he also learned a few unique sword skills from fighting the surrounding animal populace. Even though he was seperated from the outside world he did retain shreds of his humanity as he never forgot the lessons his father had taught him.

This is a very direct introduction, narrated by the author (you.)

A gradual introduction would come from the story, still told by the author, but indirectly. Imagine if you had started the story from the perspective of one of the Guardians (perhaps the leader of the group or something), who is describing the man they are searching for and what they suspect or know about him, and why they think he needs to be captured/recruited. You would have a scene where there is action, the reader would be curious about the man they are speaking about and a tense showdown when they finally find him. That way, you would have still introduced him, but taken advantage of the introduction to deliver a scene with something happening in it, rather than pausing to introduce a character.

This could also work for Grace and Jordan. For example, I have a feeling they are going to see each other a lot in the Tower, and while they did not get off to a good start together, they will eventually start getting to know each other, and thus they will also be introduced to the reader.

Anyway, this is how I like doing things. If you don't like it, don't change anything, but at least tell me what you think.

My second recommendation involves this (and other conversations in the next chapter):

quote:

Guardian: "Sir? what is your name?"
Arthur, hearing the guardian question, remained motionless
Guardians step closer: "Sir? i ask you again, what is your name." Feeling more and more nervous
Arthur remains motionless
One of the guardians put his hand on his shoulder: "Si--" Arthur grabbed the mans forearm and threw him upon the ground and, while the guardian was disoriented, jabbed him in the throat. Not to kill him but incompasitate him. Arthur then drew his fathers sword, now rusted and broken at the tip (do to the exposure of the elements), and slashed at the other guardian who was struggling to draw his. Arthur missed the guardians throat by mere inches and the guardian, now thinking "I aint paid enough for this!", now had his sword drawn and swung forward, only to meet air as arthur dodged to the left and uppercut him with his right free arm. this was enough to daze the guardian and give Arthur the chance to flee.
"Forgive me for harming you, as i do not know you." said Arthur as he ran into the forest.
As Arthur runs through the forest, hair somewhat blocking his vision(rusted swords cant cut through anything...), dodging branches both infront and falling. This forest he knew like the back of his hand and he knew what was ahead. He came into an opening and it was there he decided to stop to catch his breath. as he slunch down beside a tree he tossed his sword to the side and began to recollect himself, but then he heard something.

That particular format (having the name/title of the character before what they say) is more suited to a play. In prose, you can indicate who is speaking mid-question, for example, and take advantage of that in order to describe the tone or things like that. An example with the first line:

"Sir?" the Guardian called out. "What is your name?"

The bit in the middle can be modified any way you want, to show what the Guardian is feeling or how he is speaking. Several examples:

"Sir?" the Guardian called, a little uncertainly. "What is your name?"
"Sir?" the Guardian said, taking a step forward. "What is your name?"
"What is your name, sir?" the Guardian said, hand on the pommel of his sword.

The first implies nervousness or confusion (it isn't my best one), the second confidence, the third wariness or a threat (depending on the perspective).

You don't have to say who is speaking immediately. You could leave it to the end, or in the middle to put action in the middle of a sentence or emotion or tone. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Have fun writing!

< Message edited by Xirminator -- 10/1/2011 19:06:59 >
AQ DF  Post #: 7
10/1/2011 20:05:56   
sysdragonfable

@xirminator ya, its just this is my first time writing a long story(and so far it is going rather down hill as i am running out of ideas) now i did think about doing seperate introductions but the problem was the "how" i thought about introducing Grace being first into the tower, having Arthur come by in chains and having a guard tell her what happened, and have Jordon appear out of no where with warlic telling everyone "He tried to steal from me" it just didnt work out as when i re-read it it confused me and no matter how much i edited it i still could not get it just right.

quote:

That particular format (having the name/title of the character before what they say) is more suited to a play. In prose, you can indicate who is speaking mid-question, for example, and take advantage of that in order to describe the tone or things like that. An example with the first line:
"Sir?" the Guardian called out. "What is your name?"

and i agree with the play thing and i am changing it little by little chapter by chapter and learning that sometimes less description is more(read a book yesterday that spent two pages discribing a dog....that had little to do with the story at all)

as for meeting each other at the tower...ya thats gonna happen, i mean Jordon is held captive there. But as for getting along...jurys still out on that.

but i thank you for your time and i should put that chapter one is up.

EDIT: i have been thinking of revising the beginning and i believe i the chapter one is a good introduction and as the training starts i can show that Grace is a mage and someone asks Jordon "why did you join?" thoughts?

< Message edited by sysdragonfable -- 10/1/2011 20:38:33 >
DF  Post #: 8
10/3/2011 18:58:31   
Xirminator

quote:

and i agree with the play thing and i am changing it little by little chapter by chapter and learning that sometimes less description is more(read a book yesterday that spent two pages discribing a dog....that had little to do with the story at all)

I agree with you here, but always sure that the readers can picture what is happening. (Have someone read it for you, maybe.) I myself don't describe very much in my own works, and I dislike most authors who go on and on about the same when, just like you said, it's not important.

quote:

EDIT: i have been thinking of revising the beginning and i believe i the chapter one is a good introduction and as the training starts i can show that Grace is a mage and someone asks Jordon "why did you join?" thoughts?

That's a pretty good idea, actually. Jordon does not necessarily have to introduce himself in the beginning. You can introduce his background story with Warlic at another time, after Grace has been introduced, perhaps. Maybe they're having lunch and she hears someone making a snide comment or making fun about Jordon because of it and then she becomes curious.

Did you update the chapter?
AQ DF  Post #: 9
10/3/2011 19:33:33   
sysdragonfable

@Xirminator I "sorta" revised it, i am still working on chapter one but i am continueing with chapter two(writers block is starting to kick in)
DF  Post #: 10
1/25/2012 22:18:04   
Tianboz

Love it. keep going, you are awesome at 3rd person narratives.

I love how you switch between author jordan and the necromancer.

Now finish it, spellcheck it, then send it to AE to be published ;)
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> [Critique Requested] A Guardian Tale
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition