Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=mech= Starting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =mech= Starting
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/26/2011 18:17:10   
sysdragonfable

The bane of my existance, starting. I can create a tear jerking ending yet when I begin my nemesis known as Writers Block mocks me as I sit there stagnant at my keyboard not being able to write a single letter. Ok, no more improved words. They make me sound so.....wierd. Anyway the jist of what of saying is how do you guys start a story? Do you start in a middle of a conversation, middle of a school play, start out with, "Our story begins...." or what? I just have a hard time coming up with a starting point for a story. Like I have a general idea of what I want it to start as but when I begin writing I just sit there frozen. Tips?

DF  Post #: 1
10/26/2011 20:47:24   
Argeus the Paladin

On the contrary, I find beginning a story much, MUCH more easier than ending it. I have more than a few ways to do it.

1) For a short story:

- A vague description of the setting as a whole.
- A vague description of the main character.

2) For a novel:

- A description of the first scene and the people in it.
- A description of the first character, which "zooms out" into the scene and other characters.

3) For both:

- A philosophical non sequitur that would be revisited later. This is also quite risky a method, but it can work.

Personally, I am not one for a story that jumps into dialogue right off the bat unless it is very well written. Furthermore, when you start, IMO, you need to answer this question ASAP: "Why should we, as readers, care about these characters?". My way of doing this is by establishing as much of the characters' superficial personality as you can from the get-go by showing, not telling, so that the readers would get a "feel" for them. When that is done, well, that's your opening done.

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 10/27/2011 6:21:07 >
DF  Post #: 2
10/27/2011 5:59:00   
lordkaho
Creative!

It's different for me though. Usually when starting on the story, I already have the ending in mind. The problem is how to bridge the beginning to the ending of the story. As for starting a story itself, during my several attempts to write a story I usually depict a rather vague scene that would foreshadow future events (either involving the protagonist, a major character, the antagonist or a third party altogether).
DF MQ  Post #: 3
10/27/2011 23:44:08   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

starting poetry for me is pretty tough, although really, in theory, it shouldn't be, since i should just be able to crank out some stream-of-consciousness whenever i want to. thus, trouble beginning is usually more a product of procrastination than anything else, though i do prefer starting with actual inspiration than just stream-of-consciousness
DF  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =mech= Starting
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition