Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/22/2011 1:33:17   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Before I begin this tale, you should know that this is a continuation to my entry in Eric Greydawn's Backstory Contest for Dragonfable. The thought of continuing it intrigued me, and I will try to find time to add to this story when I am able to. I hope that you enjoy what I have to offer, dear reader.
SoI Discussion Thread | SoI Critiquing Thread
Currently Working On: Chapter Five and thinking through the whole of my story. I have posted what little I have managed to write tonight.

Prologue: Uprising of Doom
The piercing cry of disgruntled ravens echoed throughout the darkness of Doomwood's forest, the sound enough to evoke shivers from even the most seasoned of warriors. Excluding the unpleasant cry of Death, whose black, velvet cloak shrouded the starless sky, all was silent. Occasional clangs of metal, followed by quiet shushes from others, filled the air. The defenders of Moonridge had grown tense, remaining as vigilant and irritable as wounded wolves. A man murmured to his allies as they gazed warily past the withered, lifeless trees that littered their home like testaments to a long-forgotten disaster.

"Perhaps they will not come this night-"

"Silence, you fool! That Paladin- was Artix his name- may be crazy, but he always knows."

"But-"

The iron-clad warriors fell silent at the muted thud of leather boots. As is expected of people who lived all of their lives defending their homeland from waves of unholy abominations, each man in the militia whirled around. With a jolt of surprise, all of the present fighters fell down to one knee with a synchronized clang of steel upon earth, apologizing without words for the drawing of their swords upon a fellow man. But not just any man; a born leader.

Strikingly golden hair gleamed even in the scarce light of the Moon, illuminating the features of Moonridge's Captain. Though he was young in years, this man strolled across the crumbling grass with a charismatic and confident air. Determination and wisdom gleamed in his sapphire eyes, his silvery plates shining like a single beacon of hope even in the face of Doom's shadow. In benevolence, the man raised his hand.

"Please, my friends, you need not kneel before me. After all, I am no better than you."

Moonridge's warriors nodded as they rose to their feet in unison. Clearing his throat, one soldier inquired, "Captain, can the Paladin's rumors be trusted? I-"

"Yes. The horde of undead that has been detected in Doomwood is certainly growing. Sentries spotted them marching even as we speak."

Disconcerted murmurs filled the air, the men of the village clutching nervously at their swords. Another man spoke. "But where did they come from, Faerdin?"

"The undead don't just spontaneously erupt from the ground!"

"They're coming here? What of our children?"

The low rumble of uneasy mumbles grew exponentially in volume as panic began to spread through the ranks of Moonridge's fighters. Taking a deep breath, Faerdin closed his eyes. He dared not show it, but his own heart pounded quickly within the hollow of his chest. For the first time in the whole of his life, Faerdin was truly afraid. He feared what would happen if the waves of undead did not cease. He feared what could happen if the monsters broke past their defenses and reached their families. A violent torrent of memories rushed through him; the anguished faces of his mother and father, torn limb from limb by the horrible creatures that infested Doomwood Forest like a debilitating plague.

Aurauris.

The very name evoked a strange yet pleasurable warmth to flow throughout Faerdin. It coaxed away the thoughts that haunted his dreams, clearing his battle-weary mind with an indescribable tenderness. Unable to resist his urge to smile, Faerdin imagined the sweet scent that arose from his love's flowing, golden hair; he imagined the unfathomable beauty within her eyes, the radiance that washed away his worries and fears in times of misfortune. They had yet to bear children. They had yet to live.

My parents' fate shall not be our own. Nothing will take this from me. From us, Faerdin thought with renewed faith.

"Hear me well, sons and daughters of Celeritas!"

All evidence of hysteria vanished from the features of his fellow villagers, replaced with indecipherable masks that surely hid the fear clinging to them like cold sweat.

"We may not know where these hordes are coming from. We may not know if we shall have to fortify the city and wait for reinforcements from the good King Alteon. We do not even know if he will be able to spare the warriors necessary to repel an attack such as this. But I will tell you this. No matter the darkness that surrounds us, no matter how bleak the situation appears to be, these monstrosities will not claim our homes as their own! Not a single man here shall be claimed by this unholy blight upon humanity!"

Tension appeared to ease. Many warriors readjusted the grip upon their weapons, an unfamiliar emotion glimmering within their eyes. Faerdin waited before lowering his head, grasping the hilt of the pristine blade that still rested within its sheath. Slowly he drew his weapon, the hand-and-a-half sword beautifully catching the breathtaking rays of light that now illuminated the forest. Stars had broken through the veil of darkness upon their land. The clatter of bone and pained moans of the forsaken drifted toward them from the very edge of the clearing.

"Let them taste the steel of our swords."

An insatiable thirst for victory spread throughout the militia like wildfire as the warriors raised their weapons with furious howls. Allowing himself a small smile, Faerdin turned toward the darkened forest with the desire for peace and prosperity in his heart and mind, granting him strength beyond that of normal men. The venomous glow of green eyes illuminated the shadows amidst the decaying trees before them.

"Charge!"

The bloodthirsty bellows of the Moonridge militia shook the very soil they stood upon as their forces advanced, driven by the undeniable pride in their Captain's words of encouragement. With a sickening crunch, the front lines of Moonridge's fighters and the undead horde collided, the once tranquil night instantly erupting with the clamor and cries of war. Though the hardened warriors were outnumbered by their unnatural opponents, many of the skeletal soldiers were already beginning to fall.

Cackling with a savage delight as each foe fell before his feet, Faerdin began to dash ahead of his fellow soldiers, unsheathing smaller knives and hurling them with all of his strength to cripple the opposition. Preparing himself for another surge forward, Faerdin stifled a bestial cry to take a swift glance across the battlefield. Sweat stung his eyes as he took notice of a lone figure that stood far behind the monsters that marched toward them.

Bloodied, crimson armor clung to the man who loomed beyond the ranks of the undead scourge. Resting in his gauntlet-clad fist was a rather strange sword. The hilt appeared to have been crafted from dirtied human bones and darkness itself seemed to tremble beneath the unspeakable might of the crimson blade. Instantly, the Captain realized that the newcomer must have summoned the foul creatures that they now crossed swords with. Remaining still, the mysterious man barely seemed to notice that his minions were being slaughtered by the defenders of Moonridge. His expression was completely unreadable from beneath his heavy, twisted helm.

Just another Necromancer, Faerdin thought. You can do this.

Beyond thankful for the sluggish reflexes of the monsters that they faced, Faerdin deftly bashed a skeleton with the pommel of his weapon before pushing his way past the swarm that threatened to engulf him. Despite the bloodlust that burned Faerdin's veins like primal fire, the Captain was unable to resist clutching tighter to his weapon. A sense of impending doom subtly began to worm its way throughout the whole of his body.

Something isn't right.

Faerdin raised his arm in preparation for a devastating blow; the stranger drew closer with each passing heartbeat.

Something is wrong.

He could almost make out the cold, mirthless smirk that lit the unfeeling eyes of the corrupted warrior's helm.

Turn back.

Doom Lord Sepulchure haughtily lifted his necrotic blade with all of the authority of the Fates themselves.

Turn back, now-!

There was a sharp pain from within the very depths of Faerdin's mind. A sickening flash of red clouded Faerdin's vision, tearing a broken yelp from the warrior's throat as he crumpled helplessly to the ground. Just as quickly as the injury had occurred, the knight felt consciousness slipping away from him, his disoriented thoughts cloaked by the cruel essence of night.

You are weak.

Faerdin whimpered like a frightened child as he ached so badly to hide away in the dark sanctuary of unconsciousness. Something truly evil and twisted wrapped around every fiber of his being like a depraved snake, constricting without reserve and aiming to erase him from existence.

You are nothing. Nothing to the darkness.

Crying out his anguish, the Captain writhed in sheer agony as the terrible presence tore through his mind with a reserved yet unparalleled fury. Faerdin clung desperately to his scattered thoughts and memories as the darkness of the Doom Knight seemed to obliterate who he was, what he had fought to become. This person, this thing was crushing him the way a dragon would a fly.

I am darkness itself-!

Faerdin gasped. The pressure upon his mind seemed to lift, the untamed might of Sepulchure's influence fading like thick, pungent smoke as something wonderous and beautiful began to flow through his tortured conscience. So relieved was Faerdin at the feel of light's soothing warmth that he hardly noticed as the ground momentarily slipped away from his fingers, lowering him down to some unfamiliar species of blessedly soft grass. An odd yet pleasantly delicious smell filled the air, not unlike that of hot tea.

Still trembling, Faerdin rose to his feet as the Sun's rays flowed through the emerald trees, painting his world a lovely and vibrant green. The silky strands of the broken warrior's hair, once a gorgeous yellow, had become blue like the perilous depths of the ocean's floor. His haunting, golden eyes weakly glanced about, thirsting for knowledge like a lame animal would for water. Faerdin's fragile mind was clouded by a sinister haze, all obscured by taunting and unceasing shadows. With a hint of panic, he struggled to produce a coherent thought.

My name is Faerdin.

Dragonflies whizzed blindly past the woeful crusader as he walked idly through the mysterious land alongside Destiny itself, who followed with intense interest. Vainly, Faerdin attempted to reach out for another thought, any other thought.

I am Faerdin.

The lost soul stumbled out onto a worn path that wove through the grassy forest floor like threads of auburn silk. Wearily shifting his gaze to his left, Faerdin spotted a rocky cliff, something aching in the back of his mind. Something was crumbling, deteriorating, breaking.

I'm Faerdin.

The man who was once Faerdin clung to his steel sword as he clumsily took a step forward. Then another. He smiled absentmindedly as though the hardship that he had faced was merely the dream of a long forgotten stranger. The ache within his mind began to grow stronger, forming fumbled words that did not seem to be his own.

I'm.. bored...

"It's the perfect day for adventure. Great things are coming my way.. I can feel it."

A titantic, winged terror let loose a savage roar that shook the very foundations of Faerdin's peace as Destiny allowed itself a satisfied smile. The Red Dragon landed before the befuddled warrior with a thunderous crash, the formerly pleasant, green world becoming an overpowering shade of red beneath the hungered, firey gaze of the beast.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 3/18/2012 20:12:45 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/23/2011 2:44:36   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter One: Child of Destiny
Terror bound the young man to his spot like chains of ice as he foolishly returned the gaze of a ferocious, crimson beast. An unfamiliar emotion glimmered within the auburn eyes of the dragon, giving Faerdin cause to shift nervously where he stood. Knowing that his demise was almost certainly at hand, he clutched stupidly to the handle of his useless blade. Of little help this will be. By the Lords! Silently yet harshly, Faerdin let loose a stream of curses under his breath.

With an almost mocking stare, the scarlet drake simply refused to finish him. A powerful presence overwhelmed the barriers of Faerdin's mind and forced its conceited thoughts into his own. How easily I could tear you, feast upon your succulent flesh... you would be an easy meal, young adventurer. Do feel lucky that She made me promise.

Confused, Faerdin abandoned his fear and managed to inquire, "Who are you talking about?"

Low, abrupt rumbles sounded from deep within the dragon's throat, grating teasingly upon the young adventurer's nerves. The intimidating, heartless monster who had seemed so close to devouring him a moment before was laughing at him. You shall see, little one.

Stung by the drake's hardly affectionate epithet, Faerdin prepared a vicious retort that was cut short by the drake, who lowered his magnificent head to the very edge of the cliff that he faced. Stunned, the adventurer noticed for the very first time that the crimson dragon had not been alone; upon his back rested a young woman and a small Moglin. Though she appeared to be in the prime of her youth, the woman wore unbound, silvery hair that only gleamed all the more impressively in the sunlight against the humble, white robes of a common priestess.

The young Moglin that stood proudly at the lady's side possessed fluffy fur of a vibrant red and wielded a rather simple staff. Clinging to the unyielding oak in his paws, the little Moglin clambered past the unnervingly sharp horns and onto the ground below. Glancing up at the mysterious man before him, the Moglin merely said, "Hiyas!" Whirling around, the Moglin cried, "The path is clear, priestess! Onward to Oaklore Keep!"

"Thank you, Twilly," murmured the priestess. Her voice was soothingly enchanting, warming Faerdin's heart like a half forgotten lullaby. After maneuvering past the red dragon's horns herself, the priestess cautiously readjusted her hood. "Please pardon us, friend. We are just passing through."

Allowing himself a small smile, Faerdin moved aside so that the kind priestess could advance. The low rumble sounded once again from behind Faerdin, sending malevolent chills up his spine. A peculiar mixture of relief and dread flooded through the young warrior's body and soul like foul, tainted water at the red drake's final words, See you later, my prey...

A savage roar echoed harshly from among the indifferent, emerald sentinels of the forest. The priestess.. wasn't she walking that way? Color drained from Faerdin's cheeks, leaving him pale as he hastily dashed toward the animal's intimidating cries with his sword in hand.

Almost immediately, Faerdin had found the source of the bestial cry.

The gorillaphant that towered darkly over the fallen priestess had knocked her companion unconscious with a vicious swipe of its hands. Now it gazed upon the priestess herself with its terrifying, golden eyes, the handsome, shining ivory of its tusks poised for their final strike.

Panicked, Faerdin glanced about him to see if there was something, anything that he could use to distract the beast. Choosing his weapon, the warrior hefted a moderately heavy stone the size of his palm. Faerdin aimed for the great gorillaphant's head and heaved the stone with all of his might.

An enraged cry was torn from the monster's throat as the unyielding rock shattered against its leathery hide. Whirling around to face its new combatant, the gorillaphant gave a primal shout that shook the very foundation of the land. Now was the priestess' only chance to escape. "Run, now!"

Determination glinted within the priestess' eyes like tempered steel as she quickly retrieved the fallen Twilly. With great reluctance, the priestess turned to sprint down the road with surprising speed, a small and dark object tumbling from deep within the folds of her robes and crashing to the unforgiving ground as it went. Yet Faerdin did not see this occur, as his sight was fixated upon the wild beast before him.

The gorillaphant's howl ravaged Faerdin's ears as it lunged for him, evoking a feral groan from the warrior as terrible pain painted his world crimson. Growling, Faerdin discouraged the monster's advance with a ferocious swipe of his sword. Hot blood coated the length of Faerdin's blade as steel tore flesh, rendering the gorillaphant's right arm irreversibly weakened. As the beast backed off, Faerdin examined his chest for evidence of damage caused by the ruthless tusks.

The shining plates that protected his breast had been completely smashed together, limiting the ease with which Faerdin could bend and breathe while wearing his armor until a blacksmith could repair it. Wincing, Faerdin glanced up just at the right moment. The warrior leaned back, narrowly evading a wrathful fist as it came. Finding the opportunity to make his move, Faerdin leaped up with his greatest war cry to grasp the gorillaphant's threatening tusks. He viciously forced the beast's outstretched arm to its side with his feet in a vain attempt to gain leverage. Hanging on for dear life, the warrior grunted as he brought the silver pommel of his sword down upon the gorillaphant's temple.

For only a moment, the monster lay still beneath Faerdin. With the faintest whisper of wind, the gorillaphant began to sway, crashing fantastically to the floor in a mighty heap as telltale snores of deep, unwaking slumber filled the air. Unable to truly slay the beast, Faerdin had merely knocked it unconscious.

Well, that went swimmingly, Faerdin thought gloomily. I pity the next person to walk down this road.

Sighing with discontent, Faerdin turned around only to find the finely crafted steel of pikes only inches from his face. All around him, heavily plated knights gazed warily upon the man who had singlehandedly taken down the mindless monster. Squinting, Faerdin managed to glean that these particular warriors were members of some strange order, as all of their chestplates were adorned with a lavish, golden insignia.

"Y-you there.. what is your name?"

Frowning slightly, Faerdin murmured, "My name...?" The terrible incident that had befallen him. The unbearable agony that preceded the fated meeting with the priestess and the dragon. His entire past, present, and future; all were lost to the unwavering shadows that still clouded Faerdin's mind like noxious fumes. Naturally, the warrior struggled with the question.

"T-that's enough," The knight stuttered. "O-our Captain wishes to speak with you."

No one could possibly predict the adventure that lay in wait for Faerdin to embark upon, the haunting sacrifices and overwhelming pleasure he would endure throughout the journey that would truly begin within the ornate yet pleasant stronghold called Oaklore Keep. Noticing the noble sanctuary among the lofty trees of the forest, Faerdin reluctantly obeyed the knight's command. Terrible confusion lingered within his mind like a foul toxin, rendering Faerdin able only to think about a single, disturbing question: What happens now?

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 3/22/2012 3:08:13 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
11/25/2011 22:23:22   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter Two: Where Malevolence Cannot Reach
"Are you well, man? We have water if you need it."

"No. All is well, thank you." With an exhausted yawn, Faerdin continued down along the worn dirt path. The unceasing grip of apprehension caused the young adventurer's throat to tighten unpleasantly.

They had begun the arduous trek back to Oaklore Keep (A knight had revealed the stronghold's name to him in good faith) not long after the silvery defenders had found him. Curiously, Faerdin had noticed that many of the self-proclaimed warriors that stood beside him had the faintest trace of fear within the dark depths of their eyes. Occasionally they would each glance past the green trees about them and shudder as though attempting to drive away a particularly irritating mosquito.

Witnessing another bout of shivers among the battalion, Faerdin gently asked, "Why does the forest frighten you so? It seems pleasant enough to me. Isn't this where you live?"

"It hasn't been so pleasant lately, traveler," growled the man who stood closest to him. "The forest of Oaklore has been unreasonable. The once friendly inhabitants tear apart anyone who dares to enter, and a wicked band of thieves called the Darkwolves steal the gold of people who pass through."

"I heard that they made a pact with Sepulchure," said one man. At the very name, all but Faerdin gave into shudders caused by the evils of the past as well as the mysteries of the future.

"Sepulchure?"

"Some things are better left unexplained," gravely muttered another knight.

Intending to press the others for more information, Faerdin began to utter the dreaded question as one of the knights cried out, "We're here!"

Faerdin was in such awe of what he saw that he simply couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Dragons of most fearsome strength would pale in comparison to the mighty oak tree that towered over all else in the land like a grand giant. Eternally the insignificant, stone dwellings of Oaklore Keep would be cast in the all-enveloping shadow of their ancient guardian, unaware that they would always be under the tree's watchful gaze.

Had it not been for the bothersome knights who quarreled in front of him, Faerdin would have failed to notice the impressive gates that proudly protected the Keep from outside invaders. Noting the strange, white stone that they were composed of with vague interest, Faerdin hesitantly shuffled past the heavy, wooden doors and followed the knights further into the stronghold.

Upon entering, a man bearing armor similar to the other knights stepped forward. "At ease, men. Is this the man that Lady Celestia spoke of? The man who rescued her and Twilly?" Golden hair shone like strands of sunlight upon the top of his head.

"Aye, Captain Rolith. We found him with the unconscious gorillaphant," reported the knight at the very front of the group.

"Well done! You may all return to your posts." With weary salutes the men scattered throughout Oaklore Keep, leaving Faerdin and Captain Rolith alone. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Rolith, Captain of Oaklore's Pactogonal Knights." His welcoming smile faltering for only a moment, Captain Rolith continued, "You look familiar.. I knew a man in Moonridge who looked like you, but his hair and eyes weren't unlike my own. How did they turn those colors, exactly? That surely can't be natural."

Embarrassment stung Faerdin's face as he noticed the ocean blue strands of hair that nearly hid his haunting, golden eyes from view. Sighing, he gave the only truthful answer that he could possibly give: "I don't know."

"Well, then. What is your name?"

Again came the embarrassment. "I do not know, Rolith."

Bewilderment subtly twinkled within the Captain's eyes, though he dared not show it. "Hmm.. are you Faerdin of the Moonridge Militia?"

"I don't know. The last thing I remember is waking up in the forest."

"Well, I'm not sure what to-"

"CAPTAIN! CAPTAIN!" Rolith and Faerdin both jolted at the unnerving hysteria within the messenger's voice before he had crumpled at their feet, clearly enervated from the fear-filled journey he just made. Horror contorted the boy's features until he was barely recognizable, sweat cascading pitifully down his broken face like rivers borne of untold terror.

Clearly disturbed by the intensity of the sentry's despair, Rolith knelt down to steady him and quietly murmured, "Calm yourself, man.. keep it together. Now, what is it that you have come to tell us?"

The revelation immediately burst from him. "It's the Darkwolf Bandits, Captain! They're trying to steal the Black Dragon Box! They've got Lady Celestia!"

Rolith's expression, originally one of compassion and kindness, had quickly become one of a previously untapped anger and frustration. Whirling around to face the adventurer, Rolith growled, "Faerdin! Go now and assist her! It is your duty and, from what she has told me, your very fate depends upon it."

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/7/2012 0:18:53 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
12/4/2011 22:05:32   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter Three: Clash of the Wills
"So, what's he doin' with tha' prisoner?"

"Eh, beats me. As long as we get some gold out of this, I'm not gonna ask any questions."

"Y'know wha's fer dinner?"

Determined not to give away his position, Faerdin crouched lower behind the thick bushes that concealed him from the view of the Darkwolf Bandits. Nearly an hour had passed as Faerdin patiently observed the leather-clad thieves. Surely they knew that the warriors of Oaklore Keep would attempt a counterattack, since they had kept watch over the entrance to their camp with admirable diligence. However, they did not know that the force they would have to confront had come in the form of a single man.

Scowling as the bandits' incessant chatter grew all the more boisterous, Faerdin instinctively reached down toward the top of his boot. The knight's eyes widened in genuine surprise as his fingers wrapped around the hardened leather of a knife's hilt. He previously had no idea of the blade's existence, nor could he truly remember anything before the events that took place in the forest. The dull throb caused by his damaged chestplate sent Captain Rolith's parting words rebounding against the walls of his skull once again.

Faerdin would not show these men mercy.. by the Gods, and nor will I.

Deftly, Faerdin drew the dagger from its battle-worn cage and hurled it at the nearest thief with all of his might. Caught mid-sentence by icy steel, the man crumpled like a marionette whose strings had been cut. The other bandit fell to his knees with a frightened gasp, cursing to himself as he desperately groped the ground for his weapon. Finally Faerdin raised his blade with a ferocious war-cry, pleased by how hard the scoundrel before him flinched. With a burst of speed, Faerdin leapt from his hiding place and brought his gleaming blade down upon the man.

At the very last moment, the thief swept aside the bloodthirsty bite of Faerdin's sword with an iron club, though it did not stay in his hands for long. With a few decisive strikes, Faerdin tore the clumsy weapon from the thief, sending him running back into the dark recesses of their camp for fear of his own life. A harsh chuckle escaped Faerdin's throat, clearly amused by his foe's lack of fortitude. Falling silent at the telltale patter of leather boots upon soil, Faerdin retreated into the shadows behind a nearby tree.

The man that Faerdin had attacked returned with at least a dozen of his adversaries, all of whom appeared dismayed to find one of their own useless upon the ground. Scarlet blood poured freely from the wound upon his throat, glittering like tainted rubies. Outrage and the slightest trace of fear was evident in their voices.

"Where's the snake wha' did this?"

"Where'd he go?"

"Quiet down! We're not accomplishing anything babbling like old ladies! Let's look for the filthy coward!"

Immediately, four of the men took off into the darkness of the forest, leaving in their wake a certain calm amongst the other bandits as their initial feelings of hopelessness faded. Finding the perfect opportunity to strike while the thieves talked among themselves, Faerdin truly began to take action. Gathering all of his strength, the warrior leapt from the shadows and wrapped his arm around the neck of an unaware bandit. Before the others could react, Faerdin ruthlessly tightened his grip and caved in his skull with the pommel of his sword.

Heaving the lifeless man to the ground, Faerdin drew his remaining dagger and viciously threw it at another man, impaling his right leg and leaving him immobilized. Brandishing his blade while the panicked bandits attempted to rally themselves, Faerdin shouted, "Come, cowards! Fight me like an honest man, else you shall taste the blood of your brothers upon my sword!" Satisfaction was Faerdin's as he noticed the bitter sting of his words upon the faces of his foes.

Attempting to flank him, two of the bandits leaped forth in order to answer his call. Ducking past one thief's iron club, Faerdin grasped his wrist and ferociously wrenched him toward his ally, sending them both falling to the ground in a confused heap. With a quiet grunt Faerdin kicked at their heads, leaving them unconscious upon the bloodied earth. Another thief boldly rushed forward to aim a powerful, two-handed strike at Faerdin, coaxing the slightest of smiles from him as he simply raised his hand.

With a dull clank of wood upon steel, the handle of the bandit's club collided harmlessly with Faerdin's plated forearm. In a movement so elegant and powerful it appeared practiced, Faerdin then ripped the club from the bandit's hands and struck him across the face, staining his gauntlets with the blood of a surely broken nose. Now only four of the men before Faerdin were capable of fighting and, at the sight of their fallen comrades, they appeared to be only all the more unwilling to confront him. "What is this? Won't any of you give me an actual challenge?"

"I can."

The poorly veiled virulence of those few words gave Faerdin cause to become completely still, like a ravenous wolf that had caught the scent of a rabbit. Tightening his grip upon his sword, Faerdin turned toward the entrance of the thieves' meager camp in order to face the man who dared to challenge him.

It wasn't a man. The boy couldn't be any older than seventeen, yet the others seemed to look up to him, awe glittering like starlight within their eyes. Though the violet cloak draped about his shoulders was the only possible sign of wealth, he carried himself as though he were the descendant of a great monarch. Strangely, the boy's raven-black hair refused to shine even in the glorious rays of a retreating sun.

"You came. Fancy meeting you here." Recognizing the voice, Faerdin glanced past the newcomer to find the sole reason for embarking upon such a dangerous quest; Lady Celestia. Despite the troublesome journey that lead her to such a place, her robes had remained white and pure like snow. Immediately she ran to Faerdin's side, the determination within her silver eyes and air of authority about her preventing even the most lawless of thieves from ordering her back.

With barely contained rage distorting his features, the boy growled, "Allow me to introduce myself, hero. My name is Drakath, and I am the leader of the Darkwolf Bandits and the rightful ruler of this land. Stand down or, like the trash you are, you will be blown away by the winds of my great destiny-!"

Faerdin had been utterly silent throughout "Drakath the rightful ruler's" introduction not because of the boy's speech, but the undeserved arrogance that poisoned his words like arsenic within water. Growing weary of such tactless and conceited words, he interrupted, "You talk big, but you don't look very tough, pipsqueak. I was only going to take Lady Celestia and leave you and your men to grovel, but you've just made this personal." The warrior then hooked his fingers around the edges of his helm, prying the worn steel away so that his sapphire hair was free to move with the scarce wind's influence. Casting down the gleaming metal that had imprisoned his sight, Faerdin murmured, "Let us see what you're made of, Drakath."

Incensed by the audacity of Faerdin's display, Drakath howled and prepared a brutal overhead strike. With a lazy flick of his wrist, Faerdin repelled the attack and leaped forward to slash across his chest. Pleasantly astounded to find his blade met by Drakath's, the knight simply began to flow from one ferocious attack to the next. Distress glimmered clearly within Drakath's eyes as he struggled to fend off the experienced duelist that continued to advance with each heartbeat, each stupefying clang of steel upon steel. Sensing two others coming from behind him, Faerdin aimed a spiteful kick at Drakath's chest, pulling a rough grunt from deep within his throat and sending him down onto his knee.

Endlessly delighted by the poor sportsmanship his opponents had resorted to, Faerdin whirled around to hew the throat of one bandit and force the other to flinch. Wishing to dispose of him whilst sparing his worthless life, the warrior mightily kicked in the fork of his legs, evoking a sharp cry from him before he too fell upon the ground. Then Faerdin returned his gaze to the would-be ruler of the land, narrowly evading the razor edge of Drakath's sword as it whistled past. He restricted Drakath's wrist with an unyielding grip and, with a burst of strength, Faerdin heaved him over his shoulder, throwing him ruthlessly down to the ground beside his comrades.

Before Drakath could recuperate, Faerdin ground the wrist of his sword-hand mercilessly into the forest floor beneath the heel of his boot, finally forcing him to relinquish his princely weapon. With the utmost resentment, Drakath mumbled, "You.. were lucky this time, peasant-!"

"Luck had absolutely nothing to do with this, kid." Reluctantly, Faerdin added, "And.. and my name is Faerdin. Remember it before you kidnap or get into any other nonsense again."

A smile so devious formed upon Drakath's face that he couldn't help but feel wary. "Oh I will.. and you can count on that." From nothingness came putrid smoke that stung Faerdin's eyes, leaving him no other choice but to retreat in an attempt to find fresh air. Once the acrid fumes had dissipated, the warrior found himself alone excluding the company of Lady Celestia, whose tender smile cleared all evidence of villainy and shadow from the worn and weary world of Lore.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 3/5/2012 5:55:27 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
2/3/2012 3:22:52   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter Four: Wrath of the Ocean

A soft sigh escaped Faerdin’s throat as he examined the dirt road ahead of him. For many miles more, the weary warrior would have to traverse the landscape that coated the world of Lore with gentle green. The lofty trees surrounding the path shielded his eyes from the rays of a dying sun. Little did Faerdin know that soon, he would have to confront the terror that stripped him of who he was and what he had fought to become. Blackest, vilest Doom would raise its head and test the might of the man who dared to challenge him.

Vividly could Faerdin recall the wise words of Lady Celestia before he embarked upon his journey. “It would be best for you to find refuge in Falconreach, hero. Captain Rolith will tell you where to find the city. Your fate awaits you there.”

My fate... Faerdin... is this really me? Faerdin made to continue moving forward, but pain stopped him in his tracks. An iron-clad hand instinctively traced the crushed plates that restricted his breathing, the cuts and bruises left by bandits who had ambushed him out of desperation, and a thin scratch left upon his cheek by the claws of a ravenous bear. Faerdin scowled. The cursed Moglin that woke it up will have to answer to me when I finally find him again, he thought bitterly. Never again will I travel in the Forest of Oaklore without company.

Unsheathing the battered hand-and-a-half sword at his hip, Faerdin walked onward, seeking out the town where adventurers gathered and where alliances, friendships, and betrayals were forged. Mere seconds were an eternity as the sun continued to fall, drenching Lore in shadow by the time he had finally noticed something out of the ordinary.

Ahead of Faerdin lay a grand bridge of wood and stone, clearly constructed by the citizens of Falconreach. He could tell that those of Falconreach had crafted it because the smoke of chimneys was clear even in the darkening sky; if he understood Rolith's directions correctly, the city couldn't be far. Noticing a knight similar to the ones who had escorted him to the stronghold in Oaklore, Faerdin called out, “Excuse me? Could you tell me if this bridge leads to Falconreach? I just want to be entirely sure.”

Turning to face him, the knight saluted and responded, “Yep! You’re on the right track. Just so you know, my name’s Sir Pent. I keep watch around here.” Sir Pent blinked as a droplet of water fell precisely into the visor of his helm, glancing up to see storm clouds brewing sinisterly above them. “Just be careful, won’t ya? This city isn't exactly known for its safety and luck.”

“I’ll do my best. Thank you!” Smiling gratefully, Faerdin returned the gesture and moved forward to approach the path ahead of him. The damp wood creaked beneath Faerdin’s boot as he stepped on it and a low growl, refusing to be masked by the pleasant patter of rain, reached the warrior’s ears.

Frowning, Faerdin took a step back. Perhaps I am imagining things, Faerdin thought. Chiding himself for being so foolish, he stepped forward once again.

With the deafening roar of thunder, splinters and shards of stone erupted as the very center of the bridge was torn asunder by a furious, unrelenting force. Shielding his eyes from the debris, Faerdin backpedalled and slipped on the floor beneath him. With golden eyes scrutinizing the area for the cause of such destruction, Faerdin gasped as he finally realized what was happening.

An ear-splitting cry of ancients past issued from the throat of the serpent that towered over the shattered bridge like a god of old. Hideous scales encrusted the beast before Faerdin like grotesque, green armor that were less terrible only than the serpent’s eyes. Its eyes, those of a mindless monster's, were horrible and yellow, filled with anger and malice of such depth that it chilled the very souls of its victims.

True horror paralyzed Faerdin as he saw two similar heads rise up along the sides of the beast, each of them as ugly as the one before. Restraining the urge to gag with all of his strength, the seasoned warrior recognized the monstrosity as a hydra. I thought they were only legends... legends told by parents to keep children from acting out... this cannot be...

“No! Back fiend!” Sir Pent had lunged forward to face the mighty creature, yet his attempts were in vain. With a cry that could freeze blood, the hydra released a jet of water from its jaws that flung the sword from the knight’s hand and, eventually, threw him back among the emerald sentinels of the forest.

Turning its attention to Faerdin, the serpent lunged forward with shocking swiftness before he had the opportunity to rise to his feet. Desperately, he swung his sword and clipped the hydra near its lip with the edge of the blade. With a savage roar, the beast swept its tail across the splintered remnants of the bridge, evoking a frightened gasp from Faerdin as the support failed and gave way beneath him.

Stretching out his arms, the warrior hooked his fingers on the slimy scales of the hydra even as he met its hide with a sickening crunch. The beast’s cries grew all the more furious as Faerdin clung for dear life, not even daring to slash at its exposed stomach from fear of it writhing more. At last, Faerdin could hold on no longer and was cast down into the frigid water beneath him. He struggled to keep up his lungs filled with precious air as the rain continued to fall with cold indifference, striving to bury him in the wrath of the ocean itself. Triumph and finality filled the hydra’s roars as it lowered its head in preparation to finish him. He knew it was the end, and not a single thought entered Faerdin’s mind except that of escape and survival.

But a power previously dormant began to stir in the tortured warrior’s spirit.

Strength flowed through Faerdin’s limbs as though divine nectar had replaced his blood, granting his mind clarity that it had not possessed in the past. Unintelligible whispers filled Faerdin’s ears, drowning out the cries of Poseidon’s children as the courage that had fled him was renewed and fortified. The force that influenced him was strange, unyielding... vaguely similar to the mind of the Red Dragon who had taunted him only hours before. When Faerdin felt that the energy within him had reached its peak, he simply raised his hand.

A shaft of crackling, golden energy leapt forth and smote the creature on its breast, tearing from it an anguished shriek that would have frightened Faerdin earlier. He was nearly as surprised as the hydra when delicate, silver wings burst from his back, coaxing him from the relentless ocean and raising him up to his opponent’s eyes with only a few effortless flaps. Using his newfound abilities to his advantage, Faerdin released the last of his strength and lashed out with his sword. From the tip of his blade came a swirling conflagration of deepest orange, flowing into the shape of dragon's head before brutally colliding with the hydra's jaw, completely singing its lesser heads and forcing it to collapse.

Yet Faerdin knew not where it had fallen. From the moment he had released that power, the only thing Faerdin had acknowledged was the distraught cry of an unknown woman. Plummeting back into the dark and unforgiving sea, Faerdin could only recede into the safety of his mind to keep confusion and exhaustion from overwhelming him.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/17/2012 12:37:11 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
2/6/2012 18:08:39   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter Five: The Beacon of Hope
“Where did you all find him?”

“I saw him falling out of the sky when that hydra destroyed the bridge... it was absolutely horrible.”

“But he defeated it, isn’t that what’s important here?

“Definitely not ordinary...”

For quite a while, Faerdin could only listen to the muffled murmurs as he failed to return to the pleasant shadows of unconsciousness. He never wanted such confusion, though he was never quite sure as to what he truly wanted in the first place. It was something... golden. Radiant and bright, yet the thought was simply beyond the reach of his muddled mind. The only thing he could think of was that blasted hydra and how he vanquished it. What am I?

Of Faerdin’s surroundings, the only thing he could glean in such a state was that he was lying in an oddly comfortable bed. Warmth came from the heavy quilts beneath which he lay, surprisingly ridding him of the chills that came from the cruel ocean and its denizens.

A bitter taste revitalized Faerdin as someone opened his mouth, pouring into it a strange, thick liquid. Coughing, he immediately lurched up to find that all of the injuries he had acquired were healed. He was disconcerted as he found that his face was only inches from that of a woman with azure hair, a shade of blue slightly lighter than his own.

“About time you’ve finally woken up! We thought you never would,” she said with a grin.

Face still contorted by the fluid’s taste, Faerdin mumbled, “What did you just give me?”

Reaching over to the endtable by Faerdin’s bed, the woman brandished an empty vial. Only a few drops of the red liquid she had given him remained. “I’m surprised one of your kind couldn’t recognize that taste instantly; it’s a healing potion!”

“... My kind?”

“Aye, stranger,” He glanced toward the opposite side of the room to find a man bearing an apron and hammer, immediately giving Faerdin the impression that he was a blacksmith. The gruff blacksmith scratched his beard as he continued, “We don’t know exactly what you are, but you have to be a hero. Not just any hero- a very powerful one!”

“Either way, we welcome you to Falconreach,” the lady kindly said. “Where are my manners? I am Alina, a potionmistress of the good King Alteon. This is Yulgar, our town’s blacksmith.”

“Konnan would be here to visit you as well,” growled Yulgar. “But he’s off running some errands. We’re out of leather, you see.”

Though he knew not what it was, something compelled Faerdin to throw off the blankets that had encompassed him moments before. The plated armor that had kept him safe from many an injury were gone, leaving only garments of a rather strange material; the royal blue fabric of his tunic and pants were softer yet more durable than any fabric known to man.

“You’re definitely not like the normal adventurers we get. If I had to guess, your clothing is of elven make,” Yulgar said with a frown. “Just who are you, anyway?”

Of elven make... what is going on? “It appears that I’ve long forgotten who I was, but others call me Faerdin.”

“Well, please make yourself at home... Serenity is aware of the situation and- hey, where are you going?” Alina appeared nearly as bewildered as Faerdin as he leapt up from the bed, dashing down the wooden stairs of what appeared to be an inn. Immediately, he darted for the front door despite the fact he had never visited the place previously, pulling a quiet gasp from Faerdin’s throat as he crossed the threshold.

Fireflies of loveliest yellow skipped across the town of Falconreach like stones across a lake, flowing gracefully and illuminating the city in the most beautiful way despite the darkness that came in the sun's absence. The welcoming light of fireplaces shone from every home, causing smoke to trickle from the chimneys like charmed adders. Various shades of brown and mahogany made the town easy to rest eyes upon, surely to comfort the weary souls of travelers whose hardships had nearly broken them. Though the most impressive sight was a stone tower that sat upon the city’s highest hill, bearing a petrified falcon upon its top that was eternally locked in what appeared to be a valiant shriek.

Faerdin fell to his knees out of relief the strength of which he had never known. Finally, he would be able to rest and think about what had befallen him. This was his home, he realized. A place to call my home...

It was during this breakdown that he failed to notice a shadowy figure clinging to the branches of a tree. A mere raven sat there, scrutinizing the warrior before him before ruffling its feathers and taking off toward the watchful, iridescent moon. At last, this particular bird had completed its goal; it found the Dragon Lord of the Prophecy.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 3/22/2012 3:09:43 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
3/11/2012 19:22:07   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Chapter Six: Despair's Face
Emotion had been clawing its way through the young prince's chest since the moment he met defeat. Now more than ever, failure mocked Drakath and loomed over him like that night-cloaked harbinger of fate. This he would not stand for. Faerdin, he thought, stupid knight, you've made my list. I don't care how strong you are. You ruined my plans and now I'm going to get it. His master did not appreciate failure. In fact, his master would surely be so displeased by this that he would resort to more harsh methods of punishment. Scowling, Drakath clutched at the white box within his hands and proceeded along the darkened hall of Sepulchure's fortress, ignoring the vehement whispers of the shadows around him.

Some eerie and unidentifiable presence attempted to worm its way through Drakath's mind as he journeyed further past the lofty granite walls. It was feeble and broken yet overwhelming, like a sea of lost souls. It was then that Drakath realized the lives claimed by his master's dread blade, the Necrotic Blade of Doom, were eternally condemned to wander that light-forsaken place. They moaned and begged for release even as his eyes wandered over the twisted columns and blackened archways that upheld the fortress, emanating a mysterious yet undeniable power. Gasping as a puddle soaked through the heel of his boot, Drakath glanced down and turned a faint green. Blood dyed the floor even as it dripped and dried upon the intricate carvings of a nearby wall. Steeling himself, he finally found the door he had been searching for and heaved it open. As the grey stone finally gave way, Drakath crossed the threshold.

Immediately, some terrible and all-consuming energy brought Drakath down to his knees. A maddened cackle forced the boy to glance up and cradle the lavish box all the more protectively to his chest. Sitting upon the perverted, crude throne of similarly dark stone was the Doom Knight, Sepulchure. His scarlet plates, clearly encrusted by blood and gore from previous battles and wars, clung to him even as he clutched at his foul sword. Beings of blackest shadow seemed to fill the room, keeping their distance yet refusing to remove their eyes from the fallen prince before them.

"My lord, Sepulchure," Drakath mumbled as he lifted up the pristine box. "I have returned with the White Dragon Box, as you demanded. The priests at the Temple of Four Winds were no match for your undead soldiers under my command." There was only silence. Glancing up warily, Drakath continued, "Please, grant me the power of the Necrotic Blade of Doom as you promised!"

Again, there was a savage uproar of laughter, nearly forcing the whole of the castle to tremble and wordlessly demanding silence from all present. It was then that Drakath realized the sound came not from Sepulchure, but from the sword itself. Never would he be able to comprehend the depth of the Necrotic Blade's power. "YOU ARE VERY EAGER TO EMBRACE THE DARKNESS, DRAKATH!"

"You are a fool." Sepulchure claimed all of his lowly servant's attention as he finally spoke.

"M-my lord?"

Haughtily, Sepulchure waved his hand. "The agreement was both Dragon Boxes. Black and white. I only see the White Dragon Box before me."

Now the time for Sepulchure's judgement had come. Drakath hesitated. "There were... complications with the Black Dragon Box. If you would just grant me the power, I'm certain I could-"

"I think, perhaps," Sepulchure cut him off with a disdainful frown. "That you are still focusing too much of your energy on taking King Alteon's throne."

Drakath finally lost control, growling, "My throne! The royal seat is mine by birthright!"

"BE SILENT." Before Sepulchure's might, Drakath withered. "As I have promised, bring me both boxes. Then the power, the throne... all will be yours. Do not interrupt me or return here without both Dragon Boxes ever again. Do not fail me a second time, Prince Drakath."

Gritting his teeth, Drakath managed to reply, "Yes, my lord."

As Drakath rose from his spot and turned to take his leave, the Necrotic Blade of Doom began to chuckle again. Its laughter, mocking and spiteful, continued to echo throughout the haunted halls of Sepulchure's fortress like a constant reminder of Drakath's failure. With each jarring note, hatred and envy pooled like sludge at the bottom of the prince's rotten heart. I will have my throne, and no one will be able to stop me. Power will be mine no matter the cost, and this cursed kingdom will be mine to rule. I don't care what I must do- I will NOT fail!

Faerdin paled at the sheer size of the fortress before him, unable to comprehend how much power the villain could hold that his very presence could coax the skies to turn blood red. "What is that thing?"

The castle rested upon the broad, crumbling shoulders of an ancient dragon. Its flesh had long since rotted away, leaving behind a cruel mask of cracked bones that rattled whenever it lifted its head to roar. Its wings, now leathery and bony, cast the land in shadows so dark that light itself seemed to shirk away from the sight. The necrotized beast before them embodied strength greater than the tallest mountains and fury beyond that of anything living. Forever would the dragon be a slave of Sepulchure, bearing the burden of a castle upon its back and drowning the world of Lore in darkness beneath it. Once again, Faerdin found himself at a loss of words.

A young man with auburn hair who appeared similarly disheartened by the dracolich said, "I was hoping you could tell me, adventurer. I saw it for the first time yesterday, but it's been circling the countryside for several days now. Reports were coming to Falconreach about a giant, undead dragon with a castle on his back, but I had to see it for myself. People are saying that it attacked the Temple of Four Winds just a few nights back... they say it belongs to the Doom Knight, Sepulchure."

Frowning, Faerdin inquired, "Sepulchure? Someone mentioned him back at Oaklore around a day ago. Who is he?"

Disbelief crossed the boy's face for a moment. "You don't know? He wields the Necrotic Blade of Doom... He has been searching the land for the Dragon Boxes of the Prophecy-"

"Wait," Faerdin interrupted. A chord had been struck somewhere within his mind. "Dragon Boxes... I saw one of them! The priestess, Lady Celestia, she had one of them!"

"The Black Dragon Box?"

"Yes... Yes, I distinctly remember that it had been black. It was nearly stolen from her only yesterday. This kid who lead the Darkwolf Bandits... he tried to steal them."

"Drakath Slugwrath? He... there have been rumors that he's been working with Sepulchure..." Sighing, the young man continued, "We'd best get a move on. A storm's brewing, and we should be prepared for it when it comes."

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 3/18/2012 20:15:51 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition