Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Unhidden; Book One: Ruined

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Unhidden; Book One: Ruined
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/22/2011 11:04:28   
Zaphira

PRELUDE
I lay stretched out on a limb of the old cherry tree in our backyard, my silky black hair fluttering in the cool night breeze. It was a perfect night; the golden stars twinkled, the moon shone, and a restless wind swept through, rustling the emerald green foliage. My bare feet, muddy and scarred, were entwined with the slender branches. I peered above me, scouring for ripe cherries. Picking one carefully, I popped it in my mouth and savored the sensation as the delicious fruit crunched beneath my pure white teeth and slipped down my throat, leaving only the stem. Tying a knot in it with my tongue and spitting it at the ground, I continued to enjoy my alone time. I'll... just... go.. to..sleeeepp...

"Dakota!"

I jolted awake and tumbled out of the tree with a yelp. Muttering under my breath as I dragged my pale, scraped body to a standing position, I asked, "What, Eric?" My twelve-year-old little brother just stared at me for a moment, as if not comprehending what I was saying.

"Nothing," he responded bluntly, smiling toothily. I glowered at him, growling curses. Hoisting myself back into the tree, I waved away his presence and settled back down. Occasionally, I'd inhale a few juicy cherries and spit the stems at the ground. Usually, I'd watch the fireflies flit through the backyard or gaze in wonderment at my dirty toenails my friend had insisted on painting silver.

Time and time again I had fallen asleep in my big old cherry tree and wake up to find the sun had risen to its fullest. Most nights when I did this, my mom would come out and cover me with a blanket (if she's in a good mood) or yell at me to come inside (if she's in a bad mood). I liked to ignore her bad moods. I was at peace during the tranquil night and I like to keep it that way.

But tonight, I stayed awake until one o-clock in the morning. And what I saw would scar me for life.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Comments

< Message edited by Zaphira -- 12/2/2011 19:09:59 >
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/23/2011 17:05:25   
Zaphira

CHAPTER ONE: MIDNIGHT
So there I was, naming random constellations and tying cherry stems with my tongue, my brother, Eric, sighing happily in the tent he had set up on the patio for as long as I could remember.

But then the strangest thing occurred.

A ghostly figure appeared out of no where. He was clothed in stainless, white robes. He wore no shoes, but his large feet were perfectly clean. His hair was thin and white, his skin pale and slightly wrinkled. A straight, white beard flowed from his chin and bushy white eyebrows lay like snowy squirrels on his forehead. He was what I imagined God to look like. But the strangest thing about him were his eyes; they were orbs of pure white and a large, black pupil pulsed inside them. But another weird thing about them were the fact that they didn't sparkle with understanding, like most eyes. They were dull and blank. Like a zombie. He hobbled along with his flabby arms out in front of him, like a zombie. I gulped and cleared away the thought. What I knew about zombies portrayed them as nasty creatures; covered in blood and dirt, clothes torn, and walking stiffly like a robot. This unusual man was nothing like that. When he finally approached me, I tugged on his arm just to make sure.

He was quiet for a moment, but finally spoke. "You," his voice was creaky and aged. "Go with JY, EW, NY. J-Journey."

And with that, the ancient man vanished into the breeze.

Eric crawled out of his tent, stumbling out of pure fright. His lip trembled with fear and his eyes swam with terror. "Wh-what was that?" he croaked in a shaky voice.

"I-I don't know. I truly don't know." And it was the truth.

Jay Why? EW...eww? En Why? I wondered. What is that supposed to mean?

< Message edited by Zaphira -- 12/2/2011 19:11:36 >
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
12/2/2011 21:36:20   
Zaphira

CHAPTER TWO: WAFFLES AND WORDS WITH FRIENDS
The next morning, I awoke to bright colors painting the sky and a rising sun that blazed in my sensitive eyes. Noticing a pink quilt sprawled across my body, I smiled and hoped my mom was still in a better mood. Carefully picking it up and placing it on my right arm, I leaped out of the tree and landed in the dirt.

"ERIC!" I yelled.

I heard a rustling in his tent as he groggily stumbled out, approaching me after an exaggerated, slow trudge across the patio. "What?" he groaned, blinking sleep out of his droopy blue eyes.

"I dunno," I responded blandly, my expression blank but my sly grin slightly visible. "I just wanted to wake you up."

He shrugged and began ambling oh-so-slowly towards the back door. Glaring, I rushed forward and swung it open, easing Eric and I inside before slamming it behind us. Tossing the bubblegum pink quilt on the back of the mahogany leather couch, I began making us some frozen waffles. I hummed a few rocks songs to pass the time as they toasted. As I began spreading on the creamy butter, Eric voiced his thoughts.

"We need to figure out what that strange man meant."

"I know," I agreed. "I hate mysterious prophecies."

"I'm calling Nick over to help me. He's an honor student." Eric proclaimed, punching his friend's number into his cell phone. "Nick? Hi, it's Eric. Can you come over? Yeah. Ok. Awesome--"

"Ask him to bring Jordan!" I cut in quickly.

"Oh, and bring Jordan, too." Eric added. "Ok. See you!"

By the time he ended the call, the waffles were done and we were devouring them in seconds, syrup dripping down our chins and butter coating our lips. Wiping his mouth and taking a sip of milk straight from the jug, Eric switched on the television and flipped to MTV. He stared at the screen for a few minutes, engrossed in the dramatic story that played before him. I joined him in watching the episode that was portrayed until the doorbell sang out. Jumping out of his seat on the comfy couch, he darted hastily for the front door and opened it, revealing Jordan and Nick Young. The siblings followed Eric into the family room where I was dwelling at the moment. We exchanged a "Hello," or two, but immediately got down to business.

"So, what's wrong?" Jordan asked. "Unless you really truly want to hang out, you'd never invite me over, especially if Eric said so."

I quickly explained our midnight experience.

"He must've been speaking alien." Nick laughed.

"And you said he was an honors student," I grumbled. "Well, anybody want some waffles?"

Multiple hands raised, so I set to work doing that. When they were finished, each friend took time to munch on theirs, thoughtfully sharing possible options and taking swigs of milk as they went.

"Maybe they're decoded. Perhaps they stand for something?" Jordan offered through a mouthful of waffle. Syrup stained her shirt and a delicious mixture of whipped cream, syrup and butter tricked down her messy chin.
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
12/11/2011 13:24:18   
Zaphira

CHAPTER THREE: INITIALS
"Now that's the answer I was looking for." I smiled.

"Perhaps they're initials?" Eric offered.

"NY, EW, JY." I recited. "New York, maybe? Perhaps I have to travel to New York?"

"All the way across the country?" Nick smirked. "NY, Nick Young."

"EW, Eric White." Eric decoded.

"JY, Jordan Young." Jordan put in.

"You guys are good!" I laughed.

"Don't mention it." Nick winked. We all exploded in laughter--the reason I do not know. I've always known that Nick liked me, so his reply was no surprise. All his flirting and jokes have made it quite evident. I always tell him I'm way to old for him, but he tells me of all the celebrities who are like fifty years old, but whose wives are twenty. I usually ignore this remark, telling him it's their choice; they're celebrities, anyways, and that I don't even like him.

"I guess this is it. We must journey to the unknown..." I remarked.

"But where?" Jordan asked.

"Where to, nobody knows."

AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
12/11/2011 13:43:02   
Zaphira

CHAPTER FOUR: NIGHTMARIC PROPHECIES
After dismissing my friends back to their houses, I decided to forget this whole mess. We figured out the initials. But we don't know where to journey, or why, and I thought we never would. I was wrong.
I still didn't want clues; I didn't like brain-wracking prophecies. But I still got them.

"The East, friend it is.
Travel and journey by plane or train,
The East, friend of his.
Friends lost, a horrible cost,
The East is for these lost.
Broken, in ruins, this is what you'll find,
In the East, follow your heart and your mind."

The prophecy echoed in my mind as I sat up in bed, bewildered. All I had wanted was a peaceful nap to help me forget my new destiny, but here I was, repeating the blind man's croaky voice as it filled my brain.

I was beginning to drift off to sleep, all visible to me under my eyelids: pitch black. Then my imaginative gears were turning and there I was, stretched in the tree, wolfing down cherries, Eric in his tent, a tranquil night stretched around us. The zombified old man was plodding towards me again, after materializing out of thin air. His chilling, poetic words were enough to make me go insane, and as he recited them clearly, I couldn't help but go cross-eyed as they boggled my frail head. And when he vanished, I was more than happy to let him. And of course, out crawls Eric.

"Wh-what was that?" He asked, his voice edged with fright and his eyes swimming with the craziness of a boggled mind.

"I don't know. I truly don't know."

AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Unhidden; Book One: Ruined
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition