Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Working on a new system, need a quick opinion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Working on a new system, need a quick opinion
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/10/2012 1:17:02   
Xendran

How would you feel if you were forced to pick only two of these three:

Stun Skill
Energy Draining Skill
Low Tier Passive Skill
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 1
5/10/2012 1:31:37   
Mr. Black OP

Energy Draining and Low Tier Passive skill. Easy enough.
Epic  Post #: 2
5/10/2012 1:34:55   
Xendran

I don't mean what would you pick, i mean would being forced to make the choice to give one up be upsetting to you. I'm working on a loadout system that allows you to customize your skill tree based on what class you are.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 3
5/10/2012 1:45:45   
Goony
Constructive!

Well, as a mercenary I like to have all 3 as an option depending on the class/build I am facing! So if I was forced to pick just 2 it would effect my ability to play and probably not be something that I would like... With those skills being so different for all classes wouldn't it be sort of predetermined what each class would avoid training.
Epic  Post #: 4
5/10/2012 1:54:03   
Mr. Black OP

I wouldn't be upset. I don't even use stun.
Epic  Post #: 5
5/10/2012 1:56:27   
Xendran

Each stun and energy drainer would be balanced out in a way that makes them equally useful for all skills, as well as equally useful as the passive skill if you pick the two actives. Mainly this is more of a choice between stun or energy drain, because i personally feel that having them both available at the same time is an overkill in a 1v1 situation.

EDIT: Actually, i should point out that if you pick PAssive + stun, you also have the option to pick an energy DoT in tier 4, in exchange for an HP dot.

Basically your main options:

Stun, EP Drainer, Passive, pick two

EP DoT, HP DoT, pick one.

Meaning you'd still have the ability to drain energy if you pick the stuna nd passive, just not in the way that you would if you pick the energy drainer.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 5/10/2012 1:59:27 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 6
5/10/2012 2:13:42   
King FrostLich

Stun Skill and Energy Drainer. Having a stun move would at least skip an enemy's turn to do something and I can do high damage in a single round without getting hit and with energy drain, forces a player to use their primary and unblockables.

< Message edited by King FrostLich -- 5/10/2012 2:45:47 >
Epic  Post #: 7
5/10/2012 4:28:42   
PivotalDisorder

I like the idea of certain skills becoming unavailable when you chose another skill, if it is done to avoid OP builds, while still allowing the class to keep all their skills but
it's likely to cause as many problems as it solves, plus stifle creativity. I support a complete change to skill tree layouts though thats for sure. Tech Mages especially.
Post #: 8
5/10/2012 4:42:34   
Xendran

Actually this new system involves a total of 66 skills, each tree having 31 of 66 skills available and 13 places to slot them based on their class. There are limitations though, as every skill is broken into a tier and category.
Also, some existing skills have changed classes and been heavily modified (ex: deadly aim)

< Message edited by Xendran -- 5/10/2012 4:43:39 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 9
5/10/2012 4:54:56   
SouL Prisoner

Energy Draining Skill
Low Tier Passive Skill

Skills, that stun is totally, not trust worthy...i mean, they dont much stun and plus they do less damage then others....so stun is not my choice, i rather kill the opponent, then stun him...

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
5/10/2012 4:58:26   
PivotalDisorder

@Xendran: do Plasma and Stun grenade get a buff in your new system?
cause right now, Stuns are overlooked by CH and BH for the most part.
Post #: 11
5/10/2012 5:04:06   
SouL Prisoner

@xen, wat do you mean by "Your System" ?? :S are you a "MOD" ??? wait a sec....are you ...Daimyo ???
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
5/10/2012 5:04:20   
Xendran

Skill numbers havent been changed, just functions. Numbers can come later if i feel like it. Currently im trying to find a way to display the skill system in a way that doesn't seem complicated.
Here's the current skill list separated into tiers, and categories within the tiers. Class specific skills have been labelled.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7725/listcc.png

Skills that are universal are assigned to a specific slot, meaning you HAVE to pick one of them. Every other slot is free to be filled with any skills from the correct header. Heavy classes are the merc based classes, medium are hunters and light are mages.

So for example, if you're picking your bounty hunter skills and are on your second row of skills, you could pick: Bloodlust, Defence Matrix, EMP Grenade. You could also pick something like Shadow Arts, Blood Shield, Stun Grenade.

EDIT: By my system, i mean that i did the work on it. This isn't official or anything, i just tend to do ED related projects now and again. No, i'm not a mod.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 5/10/2012 5:05:53 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 13
5/10/2012 5:07:11   
SouL Prisoner

O_o WOW

(no Offense)You must be pretty jobless or a ultra crazy fan of ED :S
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
5/10/2012 5:09:12   
Xendran

Actually i despise a lot of the practices that ED partakes in. Also. this took very little time to do, i threw this together today. I'm into video game design, and ED is a game i have a lot of experience with, so designing systems for it is good experience.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 15
5/10/2012 5:17:11   
SouL Prisoner

Hmmm. well i think you should design a online game like ED,l i bet you will make tons of cash
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
5/10/2012 5:33:01   
King FrostLich

So literally, we can choose at least any skill but the "heavy" set we can only get 2 or is there any difference when it comes to the tiers?
Epic  Post #: 17
5/10/2012 5:35:02   
Xendran

Only merc and tlm can use heavy skills, bh and ch can use medium skills and tm and bm can use light skills. Every class can use universal skills.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 18
5/10/2012 7:06:39   
midnight santa

let titan do his job he is best program and we just need to balance some skills.
Ur system is weird and hard to understand for new players, so NO...
Epic  Post #: 19
5/10/2012 7:43:45   
King FrostLich

And do you think Titan's idea was always the best? When agility was introduced, all of us got mad and we never even asked for it. When they made promo items avavilable in-game, they made it cost 2200 varium now they just cost 1200 or 1500. It's not like you can do a better job than Xendran does midnight.
Epic  Post #: 20
5/10/2012 8:48:01   
Xendran

While titan is a great programmer and nightwraith is a a great artist, theyre severely limited by systems that are currently in place, and still need sone experience with the actual game design outside of the basiscs (as well as optimizing the basics).

Also, you're viewing the backend of this part. To the user, you'd simply have a skill tree, but you get to pick from a few skills instead of being locked to one set.

Either way, this isn't about "support", it's about the specific question i asked in the OP.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 5/10/2012 8:49:49 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 21
5/10/2012 15:19:55   
Psycho Slayer

midnight , if anyone knows what their doing in this game , it would probably be xendran.
titan used loads of his ideas and despite him being strange and maybe just a little hard to understand , he is very smart and will help in balancing things out.
Post #: 22
5/10/2012 18:08:55   
Psycho Slayer

how's it going xen ?

Post #: 23
5/10/2012 20:39:15   
rej

Lower tier passive skill and energy drain. No-brainer.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Working on a new system, need a quick opinion
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition