Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

A Simple Man's War Machine

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest/WarpForce >> A Simple Man's War Machine
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/21/2012 20:41:50   
Phrixus

Chapter One

~Discussion Here~

"I hope you boys like a little kick with your meal.' Pesmerga picked up a haunch of meat from his fresh kill and threw it to one of the younger orcs. 'I was up high in the mountains today and this was all I had time to get." "A Dragoo?" I could eat this thing by myself!" A young one said, trying to sound as impressive as possible.

"Hey now, don't forget this Wyvern. I hear Wyvern tail is some of the best eating this side of the Dragonspine Mountains." Pesmerga said smirking. He understood most the camp's defensive nature; he was but a newcomer- and intruder even. It would take time to gain everyone's respect. He had just moved down from the North to take a temporary hiatus from his home at the Frozen Halls and needed to find some valuable information, as well as allies, among the forests of Greenguard and Augerthorne. So far he was loving his new way of life. It had been ages since he was able to enjoy a good forest. He pondered at how peculiar that sounded, and then at all of the meanings that thought held...

An old one, a former warrior judging by the abstract work of art that was his face, broke Pesmerga's daze by thanking him. The look of gratitude was always in the eyes of this one, never fleeting; and Pesmerga had never expected to find such a thing in an orc.

"The meat is good. The young know little of these things. There is much to be used from each beast and the Wyverns rattle is especially valuable." "Well this isn't a charity you old codger. Pesmerga laughed. 'You know what I want. I'd kill a hundred of those oversize bats for those fruits of yours. Meat's fine and its rarely absent in my diet but up North a body's likely to get protein poisoning if he isn't careful. Even the juices you make from them are unusually tasty. How do these fruits taste so good?"

"The blood of arrogant humans." One orc said, growing annoyed by old Noruk's acceptance of this outsider. Pesmerga let out a hearty unrestrained laugh, observing the orc's ignorance, but said nothing. "If he only knew..."

Soon two orcs came over with two full crates of various fruits of Augerthorne and a few herbs of which he did not yet know their value. This is how it had been for the last few weeks. Pesmerga would bring them meat while they tended their camp and in exchange he'd acquire some fruit and sometimes, some knowledge.

There was something Pesmerga had wanted and knew it would be a sensitive matter, going by the disappearances of members from some of the other camps, but it had to be brought up. "I'd like to buy some flarinium from you." With that the camp stood still and everyone had their eyes on the outsider. "Look I know what this sounds like but I have reason to believe it is being used to gain an offensive advantage over this territory by whoever is murdering your people for it. They aren't just selling it to the highest bidder. I wan't to understand it, but I also want some of it for myself. From what I've heard it has many useful qualities.

"Did you hear that? Yelnus screamed. 'That's what he wants! He's behind all these killings! I knew you were wrong in trusting him" What could he do? He did look rather suspicious now. Quickly he tried to appease some of the orcs that had gotten up to make an attack but they had only one thing on their minds-bloodshed. Of course most of these would-be warriors were inexperience and leaped before they looked. Pesmerga went on the offensive and his hands begin to darken as if clouds were blocking the light over these alone. His speed was far too much for the young brutes and his power lived up to his old title of Praetor. With little trouble at all he beat the three of them within an inch of their lives restricting his weapon of choice to only his sheathed sword. He did not want to kill these foolish, but now wiser assailants, though he was not without a few cuts and scratches himself.

"I did not want to harm them, but they can be healed. This is a land of many mysterious ways...I was speaking earlier of flarinium. I'm a buyer and you need the gold. I think we can do business. In turn I'll even help you raise a wall around this camp, you know as well as I do how bad you are in need of fortification. "

While some of the camp's inhabitants still weren't sold on Pesmerga's current integrity, the more influential ones were still behind him and that was all he needed for now. The respect of the rest would come. In the forest he had time...

< Message edited by Phrixus -- 5/19/2013 23:22:28 >
AQ MQ Epic  Post #: 1
7/22/2012 2:09:07   
Phrixus

Chapter Two: The Mines or Other Means?

As Koruk and Drond lead him to the mine, Pesmerga couldn't help but recall to how he had found this people. He had always had such a strong distaste for orcs and looked down on them devoid of any scruples. He supposed there were some good ones. That was always true with any group of people. How had they crossed paths? The answer was simple enough. He was passing through the forest and the moment they had seen him it was a frontal assault. The mindless ones of the group charged him head on and when he had bested the majority of them, he had gained their respect. Or had he? He should remember well the favor of Drond.

Drond had been drawn to the noise and came upon their battle. Being one that held much authority of the group he put a stop to it before any more of his men were harmed or otherwise embarrassed. Drond had known him only by reputation and indirect acquaintance. He was the uncle of Brontus and had not only seen Pesmerga at the ceremony of Brontus' death but knew of his act to avenge his nephew and he thanked him for it at that very moment. Yes, it was he who stopped the fight and not the initial respect Pesmerga thought he had so quickly won.

"Here it is, but only Ulgathi are to enter. We cannot violate one of our most sacred places." Koruk said matter-of-factly. I completely understand, I just need this to study and to harness. I know why they kill for it. It doesn't take much to move a being to take life from another. The real question is what it can be used for. " And on the tail of his sentence came-

"What it can be used for is none of your concern." Behind them stood a man with the insignia that meant Slayer. He belonged to a following that preyed upon the living. Anything that walked or breathe at any time or another was fair game to them and could be poached accordingly. He stood poised for action yet still tall in that stance. He was facing Pesmerga yet preoccupied, and it wasn't by the mine he had just been led to.

"Poacher trash blown all the way from Skraeling I see." Pesmerga retorted. I knew I smelt something a little too gritty for these woods, but I admit I was foolish to let my company and I be tracked. " He was trying to distract the slayer, or keep him stalled long enough to figure what he was up to. "I know you want to utilize this mineral for yourself but it just can't happen. Everything about you screams "coward" and that annoys me. The biggest mistake of your life was coming alone. First you will tell me what I want and then you will expire. That is how this will go. Are you ready for your d-"

With that the worms were upon him. Not slow and cumbersome pudgy worms, but the hard plated voracious burrowers. The idiot! This whole time he had been distracting himself, not his adversary. He had been very careless these past few days. Perhaps it was the jewel hanging from the slayer's neck. Was it emitting some type of psionic energy? Noruk and Drond were no pushovers, and they knew the forest better than any others. How did he manage to get the slip on any of us? No more distractions. He must concentrate. The burrowers were rolling into his armor like eels on a drowning lamb. Thankfully his armor would hold, but they were slowly entrapping him in a constricting motion.

He would make a note to brush up on his Geomancy from Blight when he returned home. Had he known the spell he could have made the ground like steel, impassible to these overgrown maggots. Still, that wasn't a bad idea per say. No time. Noruk and Drond had been knocked down, worms approaching their vulnerable state, and The Slayer was coming quickly. To make things worse Pesmerga was bolted to the ground. "Not a problem" he thought. "I'll just let him come a bit closer." He unsheathed his guthook blade and began ripping through the burrowers.

To use darkness was not necessarily the best option. If this hunter was any good, he was almost as at home in it as Pesmerga was. The assailant was steps away when Pesmerga began to summon a secondary forest before his feet. Well this took care of the current worm problem but would it deter his foe? Ah, a few minor scrapes maybe, except now the enemy had another place to hide.

"If you intend to lengthen your stay in my lovely miniature forest, I can accommodate you." At that instant Pesmerga began to will all manner of branches and vines to writhe together in a cyclonic motion. Of course, he didn't execute the spell very smoothly but was able to crush the poacher's left foot before he completely escaped the death trap. Pesmerga leaped at the hunter to end it, sword aimed at his throat. In mid air he was blind-sided by what must have been a cart of waterlogged pearapploes. While hidden in the small clump of trees Pesmerga had wrought up, Sefo had managed to summon a worm of legend. "Rootbreaker...it's name hardly does it justice." he thought. He had to get up. He could feel and hear the ground letting out one continuous breath as the worm sped toward him- this time with jaws fully open.

It is natural for worms to daze or immobilize their prey before delivering the death blow and devouring them, as most do not possess venom. Working quickly Pesmerga enveloped a considerable amount of mana over his blade and aimed at the leviathan's jaws. With all his might he only managed to create a sizable gash. It drove Rootbreaker into a frenzy. Pesmerga knew he could not defeat this creature as easily as he had hoped. He had heard of the carnage it brought to a battlefield not far from here. For Augerthorne was its home. Coincidentally the army that had managed to summon is years ago had emerged victorious from that battle with few casualties of their own, but that is another story. A worm master often had to work with the terrain and native creatures given to that area. Needless to say none of them travel much without being accomplished geographers.

This beast was not to be trifled with and to defeat him he would have to reveal far too many secrets infront of the orc cheiftans. Sefo would be a much easier target. He would destroy him now. Pesmerga's hands turned black and leathery, his nails formed into talons. He beckoned chains of the Red Bluffs and soon the creature was completely wrapped up in their awful weight. Being made completely of mana, these would be nearly impossible to escape from. As soon as the spell had solidified Pesmerga was weaving his sad miniature forest in and out of the chains to increase the weight and hold. Sefo, seeing that the tides may be turning, decided to join back into the fight with his father's sword drawn towards Pesmerga's back.

The Praetor would have none of this, and not wanting to damage Sifu's sword, did not draw his own. Instead he came at the young worm master with talon-like hands flashing through the spots of escaped canopy light. Pesmerga swept Sefo's armed hand away and dealt the death blow with his right hand only to feel a sharp pain in his stomach. The master's last line of defense, his parasite, had thrust itself into Pesmergas side, and was wrecking havoc until he cut the worm in half and pulled it out.

"I wasn't going to eat the heart of a coward but I'm afraid you've left me no choice. I'll need the strength to heal and be rid of this great worm. I know it won't grant me too much power. You didn't use your own ability to summon the Rootbreaker, it took many of your own soldiers' lives. Your heart will be a bitter pill to swallow Sefo. Your father was a good man, and perhaps the greatest master there'll ever be. You and I both know you've failed miserably and have brought shame to Sifu. You would think a Master's son would amount to more than a common thug. I'll send his sword back to Kaley's lair the next time I see her. He deserves to have it back at his grave. "

With that the knight consumed what strength Sefo had and healed himself to the point of being functional. He had to add more weight to the mana chains and seal the worm underground for now. Rootbreaker would escape no doubt, but perhaps this would offer the creature time to cool down.

After the worm had plummeted underground by means of concussive force and the rest of Pesmerga's mana, he went over to see to the two old orc chieftains who were nowhere to be found. He would sort this out tomorrow. But for now, he needed sleep. He had hardly found a safe place to bed down for the night when he conked out in the ferns.

< Message edited by Phrixus -- 10/13/2012 2:38:38 >
AQ MQ Epic  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest/WarpForce >> A Simple Man's War Machine
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition