Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Destiny's Companion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> Destiny's Companion
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/25/2013 7:51:30   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Here is a story I am working on called "Destiny's companion." Just trying out some new ideas and techniques with my writing. I'll update it semi regularly (I hope) with new segments of the story. This project should keep me busy for a while. I have more written then Is posted. I just don't want to give it all out in one night. I really hope you enjoy it.

The discussion thread is here http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21246260

Updates: 17th of May. Part 8 is now published and I have completed my first check over the spelling and grammar in chapter 1. Parts 1-8 on these forums have been updated with the more grammatically correct versions. I am very happy with how my story is shaping up. my planning for chapter 2 is now complete and I shall start writing it soon. To make up for not posting during the week parts 9 and 10 will be posted during the weekend :)

13th May 2013, At the moment I have finished the initial copy of the whole of chapter 1. At this moment only parts 1-7 are posted here, while parts 8-11 are written and waiting to be posted. Since in essence, chapter 1 is complete I am currently going over it, self evaluating my writing style, doing a grammar check, and being sure of the direction I want to take this story in. The corrected versions will be posted in place of the current versions. Aside from spelling and grammatical errors being corrected, and a few sentences being slightly changed there will not be many major differences. The word count for chapter 1 is roughly 9000 words. At the moment I have a rough plan for all the chapters and a more specific plan for chapter 2 which I will start writing once my evaluation of chapter 1 is complete. Parts 8-11 of chapter one should all be posted within the next two weeks.

Destiny’s Companion

Chapter 1 The Shaping of Destiny

Part 1: Destiny’s Bestowment

There was once a secluded village more or less on the border between the swamps of the Nether Glades and Oaklore forest. At this time there lived a recently widowed woman who was pregnant. Her husband had fallen victim to a marsh lurker attack, one that came as a complete shock as marsh lurkers had never previously ventured into waters so close to the village. She was of the age where she was free of grey hair, yet her youth was starting to leave her. She was ready for motherhood, but the absence of her husband, the father of her child, left her worried about herself and her child’s future. The child was born and he was a boy.

As was the custom of the small village, the boy was taken to the village seer, in order to see his fate, and how to best train him and put him to use for the village. No one expected what followed; all the candles within the room went out in a sudden blast of air .The room went silent and cold. Seemingly from nowhere the room was enveloped in flame, not a single object was left untouched by it. Then all of a sudden the room was back in order, the candles were lit, the room unharmed by flame. The seer took a step back. He was utterly stunned and confused by what he had beheld. “Your son is destined for greatness beyond what I have seen before. He will be one of the greatest heroes of our time. There is no telling exactly what future lies ahead for him, or where it will take him. All that can be certain is that he is destined for more than the village”. From that day forward all the adults in the village knew the boy. His name was Luan. The villagers filled the gap left by his dead father. They did not spoil him, nor did they leave him neglected. His needs were met, and as a result he grew to love them all. Seeing his gratitude and loyal heart, they all in turn grew to love him, and as he grew Luan became a source of unity in his village without really being aware of it. He was never made fully aware of his destiny, all he knew was what the villagers would tell him, that he was destined for great things.

While other children were taught the trades of their fathers, Luan was trained to be a hero in the best way the village could manage. This training for him began at age five, while other kids started their respective trades anywhere between ages five and ten. The village guard saw to his training first. He was taught how to wield a blade, how to defend himself and how to strike an opponent, to avoid an opponent’s strength and identify their weaknesses, when to strike, and when to be patient. He learnt faster than most, but it was not easy work. Perhaps it was a touch of destiny that aided him, or the fact that he started his training at such a young age, regardless he was soon more then competent with a blade. By the time he was thirteen, Luan and the guards that trained him were aware of magical abilities developing within him. He was sent to the seer, who was to teach him in the ways of magic, mostly combat spells with a few little tricks here and there. The discipline he had learnt from fighting with the blade helped him in his focus and allowed him to learn and master aspects of magic comparatively quickly. By age sixteen he was the best swordsman in the village and was a competent mage. He was allowed to wander outside the village, clearing dangers such as wild animals and rogue monsters. He would often train on marsh lurkers. Soon they never ventured within waters close to the village again. It was on one of these exploits that he took his first step to realizing his destiny.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:46:51 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
4/25/2013 19:30:18   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 2: Destiny’s Initiation

On windy days the stench of the Neverglades’ Marshes would drift into the edge of Oaklore forest. The Neverglades were not without their charm, magic, or wonder, but they were certainly more dangerous than the forest of Oaklore. Adventure waited in the Netherglades, further from home. Luan needed a challenge, and although he was not aware of it, his home on the edge of Oaklore no longer provided the challenge he needed to further hone his skills, or quench his thirst for adventure. Each day he had found himself being drawn closer and closer to the Netherglades, the urge becoming stronger and stronger. Until today, he had been able to shrug those feelings off, but now the feeling was overpowering, as if a torrent of water was pushing him forward.

He took his first step into the Netherglades, and to his surprise felt no regret. Instead he felt free, relieved, and ready for more. For the moment, his thirst had been quenched. Each subsequent step took him further into the Neverglades, where the trees closed in around him, and the light of day was obscured, and instead appeared to be the dim light of late evening. He could no longer see the open greenery of Oaklore Forests, and for the moment he had no desire to return to them. Luan was no fool, he walked cautiously and quietly, well aware that there could be hidden dangers in places unknown to him. As he walked, he could see through a less densely packed line of trees that there was a path ahead and began to make his way towards it. While approaching, he noticed that walking the path ahead of him was a small band of undead being directed by a necromancer. The undead numbered six in total, one on either side of the necromancer and the other four each helping to carry a cage with a single metal lock, containing a black baby dragon. Luan recognized this immediately. It was his chance for his first truly heroic act.

He hid behind the cover of trees and followed them for a distance. He waited till the cover was especially thick so that he would not be seen, before casting his light spell. There was a quick flash of light, the necromancer was blinded, and one of the four undead carrying the cage was slain. The three undead were unable to manage the weight between them and the cage fell to the ground with a loud metallic clank.
“You are going to be the death of me,” muttered the necromancer under his breath, while still partly blinded by Luan’s potent light spell. He managed to open his eyes. “Pick up that cage and get a move on, that dragon has been enough trouble already. I want it delivered to the necropolis as soon as possible.” The moment Luan had been waiting for was here, as one of the necromancer’s undead guards would have to leave his side in order to take the place of the recently slain one. This left the necromancer vulnerable, with only one undead minion to protect him. As the undead bent over to lift up the cage, Luan leapt into action and effortlessly dealt with the undead minion with a swift slash of his sword. In an instant the other four undead surrounded him. The necromancer had a smug look on his face. It had been a trap. The undead were not picking up the cage, but holding their weapons at the ready.
“You boy, you’ll cause me no more trouble,” he was confident as he said this, yet serious, as if his voice alone was a weapon that he held ready to attack with.
“I’m standing my ground, you don’t intimidate me.” Luan was lying. His first attempt at being a hero was off to a poor start. Panic and stress were building up within him.
“You have talent and power boy, and that is of value. You have a choice; you can be my apprentice or my undead minion. Either we both win, or I win alone”

The thought struck Luan with a lot of force; he was seemingly frozen in place, almost directionless. He did not want his fate to be decided for him. In a moment of inspiration he did something incredibly strange, but admittedly the best thing he could have done in that situation. He blasted the cage’s lock with a fireball, and the small dragon flew out in an instant. Even without a command from their master the undead knew exactly what their task was, recapture the dragon. The four of them ran off hastily leaving Luan to face his opponent one on one.
“You’ll pay for that boy, you have no idea what you’re meddling in.” At the conclusion of those words the necromancer was suddenly cloaked in an aura of darkness and shadow. This shadow quickly began to spread from the necromancer and encircled the two of them. Luan had his sword drawn and ready. The necromancer laughed, raised his staff, and in a blink of the eye was one with the shadows. The shadows began to close in, and as they did blasts of darkness were fired at Luan. He repelled them as they came, able to sense their magical energies before they hit him. The shadows were relentless; they approached Luan, coming closer and closer. In an act of desperation he encircled himself in light energy and let off as many orbs of light as he could. The shadows darted back in fear of the sudden presence of light. The necromancer re-appeared and fired a steady beam of darkness in Luan’s direction. Luan blocked the attack and held it at bay with his sword. He was locked in place, unable to counter the attack, as making an attack of his own would leave him vulnerable to the beam of darkness.

They had been locked in this state of attack and defense for almost a minute when something unexpected turned the tide of battle to Luan’s favour. A blast of fire from behind the necromancer set his robes on fire, and broke the beam. Luan fired as many light blast in the necromancer’s direction as he possibly could. Had the necromancer been any less swift, he may have been badly wounded or killed, however, he was able to flee, too fast to be pursued. The blast of fire that had been Luan’s saving grace was dragon fire, the breath of a dragon raised in his defense. He looked ahead and saw the dragon standing before him, as if to say thank you for its freedom. Luan did not know how to best respond, so he simply bowed his head and put the tip of his sword in the ground before him. He was aware that dragons were not just the wild and ferocious creatures that myths spoke of. Many were intelligent, some on rare occasions were friendly, but most were creatures of great majesty and power.

He stood there with his head bowed. The dragon moved slowly and gracefully towards Luan until it was standing by Luan’s side. As Luan turned to go home, the dragon turned to follow. As he began walking the young dragon walked beside him. When Luan ran, the dragon flew beside him matching his speed. The dragon and Luan were now companions and would forever remain linked to each other, seemingly by destiny, but also by choice.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:38:51 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/26/2013 8:34:50   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 3: A Dragon Called Morian

The dragon’s name was Morian. He was a young dragon only a few years of age, and had been born in the edges of Greenguard forest bordering Doomwood. His mother was a protective dragon, but she had been slain by undead for students of the necropolis. This was done to increase their power, as an undead dragon is a useful weapon for any necromancer, but also for the sake of research. The question that burnt at their hearts was something along the lines of “what would happen if your raised a baby dragon as an undead?” The undead attacked Morian’s mother. She was more fearsome then they thought, and she fought back with more strength and magic then even the most seasoned dragon hunter would have expected, and in doing so gave her son a chance to escape. He managed to flee quite some distance before being captured at the edge of the Neverglades.

Dragon-kind are incredibly intelligent. A five-year-old dragon, more often then not, will posses the same intelligence and sophistication as a young adult. While in the cage, Morian was made aware his mother was dead. He felt alone in the world, and unsure of the future. Being rescued by Luan was something different for him. It would be a stretch to say that the young dragon felt cared about again, but he certainly felt valued. He could not speak English, only Draconic, but he could understand it, and he liked the sound of this boy. At the least this boy was someone who could protect him, and that would do the right thing for the sake of justice, and not for personal gain. Morian planned to stay with the boy for the moment.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:39:15 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
4/27/2013 3:52:07   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 4: Destiny Clarified

The arrival of Luan with his young dragon companion was a source excitement for the youth, and of caution for the aged. Unsurprisingly both groups were united by their shared sense of amazement. It was the conversation of choice amongst those who had watched as Laun had grown up.
“Have you seen the dragon that the boy Luan has brought to the village with him?” One neighbor would ask.
“Yes indeed, this could just be the first steps in the boy’s destiny. He’ll bring himself glory, and coat our village in respect,” the other villager would respond. This feeling of greatness ran rampant over the next few days. Within hours of the dragon arriving a letter addressed to the Arch Mage Warlic was being hastily delivered to the town of Battleon. The elders waited in much anticipation.

In the days that followed Luan and Morian began to get to know each other. Luan had never had a best friend before this point. His training schedule had left him busy. He had plenty of friends, people he could pass the time with, share laughs and pleasures with, but no one who he could whole heartedly trust. He had not been entirely aware of this before meeting this dragon, as it was a gap that had always been present and considered by him to be normal. Morian also had a gap within, left by the death of his mother. He had no friends or family, but this one boy, Luan cared about him, not in the same way as his mother had. Rather then a directing force this boy was a protective equal and gave him the respect that Morian, along with the majority of dragon kind, believed no longer was capable by humans. There was a bond between them, a mutual understanding that allowed them to communicate by means other then words. As the days passed, their friendship grew. The two were happier then they had been in a long time, perhaps happier then they had ever been before. It was into this newly but firmly formed friendship that the Arch Mage arrived to set them on the course of their destinies.

Luan and his dragon were summoned to the Seer’s house on the edge of town. The town Seer, Warlic, the Mayor and Luan’s mother were all seated ready for him. The Mayor introduced Luan and Warlic to each other. Warlic gave his greetings, sat down, and said no more. Despite his white hair he still looked young. He sat there as if contemplating something, and indeed he was. The Mayor began to speak.
“Warlic says that you have indeed been touched by destiny. You were born to be a great hero Luan.”
“Thank you,” responded Luan in a sincere and thankful manner. The Mayor then continued.
“Warlic has also commented on your ability in battle. Very few heroes have the blessing of training. He says you are much better equipped then most heroes are when they begin their adventures.” As the Mayor finished Warlic began to speak. “Luan, I’d like you to list for me all your weapons and tools that will aid you in your adventures. There is something I have for you, but I must ensure that it goes to responsible, and capable hands.” Luan thought for a moment, and then began to speak.
“My skills with a blade, my magical abilities, and my sense of justice.” Warlic looked at him inquisitively, as if he was trying to peer inside Luan’s mind. His stare did not relent as he asked his next question.
“Is that all? What about your dragon?” Said Warlic as he looked down at Morian.
“He isn’t a tool,” said Luan slightly startled. Warlic further questioned Luan
“So he’s a pet then?”
“No,” said Luan. “This dragon is no pet, he is my friend. We look out for each other. I saved his life, and he saved mine.” As Luan concluded his explanation Warlic bent down and picked up a chest. From it, he withdrew a red amulet in the shape of a dragon. Warlic began to speak again.
“We have determined that your destiny is tied to that dragon. Your greatness is assured provided you and him remain together. Things will be easy as long as you and your dragon are united. I was reluctant to give this to you but you deserve it, and in truth need it. This is a dragon amulet, it will allow you to understand and speak Draconic so that you may talk to your dragon. It will also allow you to let your dragon grow to its full adult size.” Explained Warlic. Warlic handed the amulet to Luan. “I most be going now, I have many things that need attending to. I will be seeing you again in the near future Luan. After meeting you, and your dragon, I have a personal interest in you. Goodbye.” At the conclusion of these words Warlic was gone in a flash of light. Luan left with the dragon amulet in his hands.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:40:25 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
5/4/2013 21:54:40   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 5: Bonding

Luan stood in the woods with only the dragon. He had become aware of the power the dragon amulet held. He could feel it, but it could so easily be ignored. It contained the power to communicate with dragons, the power to command dragons, or even bend them to his will. However, here also was a power that could strengthen his dragon, empower him, and inspire him. He put the amulet around his neck and did the only thing he thought was right.
“Hello” Said Luan.
“Hello Luan, my name is Morian. Its nice to be able to talk and understand each other,” said Morian the dragon.
They talked for hours on end. Their friendship, which had been formed without words, was only made stronger with speech. From this moment on Luan and Morian saw each other as equals; they were a duo, a team. Their strength was in their friendship, a friendship without secrets, overflowing with trust, respect and companionship.

Morian was very aware of Luan’s destiny. As a gifted dragon his magic could identify those touched by destiny. He realised that Luan had a greater role to play in the world than he did himself. Rather then despair he counted himself blessed that he was linked to someone as great as Luan, and that at the end of the day he had a large and important role in it. So it came to be that in the duo Luan would direct the pair, and Morian would happily follow unless he was sufficiently concerned, in which case a compromise would be reached. Luan directed, not dictated. His word was not law, but it was respected. They had struck a balance, achieved a perfect harmony. They were happy together.

Training Morian was not something the village was well enough equipped to fully handle. As a sparring partner the men were afraid of him. They could not speak Draconic, and saw him more as a beast, rather than a person. Many fought either overzealously when sparring, or over defensively trying to prevent harm that would never befall them. It was due to many weeks of seeing Luan talk to the Morian day in and day out, and the fact that Morian caused no harm on any occasion, that they finally began to trust him. No guard ever befell even a scratch from the young, friendly dragon.

The seers and mages in the village had little difficulty refining Morian’s magical aptitude. Despite their inability to communicate they liked him, as they found Morian to be studious and applied, spending much time reading over old spells and putting them into practice. He was a fire dragon and so this was made his particular strength. Unlike Luan, Morian did not have such a strong grasp of the elements, but his mastery of fire was of great value. He was taught a few non-elemental spells and tricks, to aid his dragon magic. He had the luxury of human knowledge that many dragons never encounter, or learn to fully grasp.

Soon they were both venturing into the forests of Oaklore and the Netherglades, training and fighting monsters together. They grew accustomed to each other, and their methods of fighting. Morian knew when to fire a barrage of fireballs in order to cover Luan. Likewise, Luan knew when to shield Morian with a magical barrier, or when to raise his sword and attack head on so that Morian could attack from behind. Although there were two of them, being outnumbered posed no threat. Swarms of monsters stood no chance, as the two were organised, clever, and resourceful. They would halve the size of a group in a matter of moments. Larger monsters found their size to be a disadvantage, as the two friends were highly agile and would quickly discover whatever weakness the beast may have. Training continued in this way for a few months.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:40:50 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
5/10/2013 4:58:45   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 6: Warlic’s Summon

One day Luan and Morian returned to their village to find a letter waiting for them. It was from the Arch Mage Warlic, summoning them to his magic shop in the town of Battleon. The letter read as follows.

Dear Luan and companion.

I am sorry it has taken me this long to contact you again. I can only hope that you understand that the number of tasks an Arch Mage has never decreases. This leaves little time for what needs to be done, and even less time for what Swordhaven consider to be of no more importance than a “personal interest.” Never the less, I have been given permission to aid you in your training, and your capabilities as a hero. Regrettably, I have not been allowed the time take you on as my primary focus, however, I think you will find what I do have to offer you will be worth your while. A suit of Dragonlord armor awaits you, as well as some of the raw materials to forge you a blade worthy of your power.

I hope to see you both soon, and to learn the name of your companion.

Sincerely, Warlic.

It was clear that Luan and Morian had to depart to Battleon as soon as they were able to. The Mayor of the town knew the two were ready, and gave them consent to leave the next morning, provided they attended a banquet in their honour. It was hastily set up, but it was done with much love and care. The village was energised with excitement. Luan was taking his journey as a hero into his own hands. As the village was essentially extended family to Luan, they believed it was their duty to farewell him respectfully, after all, it was almost certain that he would return as a great hero.

At the feast there was no outward sadness or misery, only happiness. People talked about Luan, and even Morian, who, although people could not speak to, had learnt to respect, and to accept. Although they were saddened to see him go they were happy, not because of the glory Luan would bring back to the village, but because they genuinely wanted what was best for him.

The Mayor stood up, and as he stood, he pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket in preparation for his speech.
“I wouldn’t normally have a hard copy of my speech with me,” he began. “ But, it’s all happened at such short notice. I’ve not had time to learn it properly.” From there he talked about the destiny that Luan had been born into, about how he was raised by the entire village. He talked about the lack of a father figure in Luan’s life, and although the loss of Luan’s father was a great loss to the village, they could all by proud that they had stepped into his father’s place. The events of the last few months were also recounted, as they affirmed that Luan’s life as a hero was truly beginning. The Mayor opened the floor and many villagers came up and spoke of their own encounters of Luan, their favorite memories, their observations, anything that was worth sharing about the boy, and his dragon, was spoken. The Mayor concluded “Luan, Morian, the two of you make our village proud. We will happily sacrifice anything for the your good, and for the good of Lore.” These words were matched with a large round of applause, the feast continued for a few hours. Luan felt almost as if he did not deserve this treatment. To him, it was as if he was being rewarded for destiny, something beyond his control, not for who he was, or what he had achieved in his own right.

As he went to bed that night his mother came into his room.
“Luan,” she said, with as much parental care as one word could contain. “I made you some new clothes. They are light and good for traveling, flexible for fighting, and magically enchanted to be warm in the cold weather, and to cool you in hot weather.” She placed the garments by his bed. “You better wear them tomorrow, it may be summer, but there has been an unusually cold breeze blowing for the last few days,” she said concerned.
“Mom, I feel loved, but not because of who I am but because of what I am destined to do.” He said, doing his best to hold back frustration.
“Son,” she began. “I loved you before I knew about your destiny. All that knowing about your destiny has done to me is make my duty as a mother that much harder, and more important. You will be a hero one day, but you will always be my little boy.” Her answer was genuine and loving. She was a proud, yet sincere mother.
“Goodnight Mom, and thank you,” he said before going to sleep.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:41:17 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
5/12/2013 7:00:29   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 7: Departure

Luan said his final goodbyes to the village and his mother. She checked that he was wearing the new garments, as the breeze that day was even colder than the day before. He waved goodbye, and took his first step forwards, leaving the village behind, with Morian by his side. Battleon was a bit more then half a days walk away. Provided nothing unforeseen happened on the road, the pair would be there by sunset.

They walked at a solid pace. The road to Battleon was well traveled, and much more inviting then the back roads of the forests of Lore. Many carts and travelers passed them on both sides of the road. A gentle breeze swept warm air onto them as they made their way forwards. The pair welcomed it, as they had been used to the sharp chill brought by the cold breeze in their village the few days before hand.
It was just after noon when Luan and Morian decided to take a brief rest, and began eating. They sat in the shade of a tall tree on the side of the road, secluded and out of sight, watching the road as they ate. They saw a horse drawn carriage speed past them, and found it odd that a carriage should be traveling at such a pace so far from any village. As they stood up to investigate they realised the reason for such haste. Running at tremendous speed behind the cart was a group of barbarian raiders wearing animal skins, and armed with clubs and axes. They looked over to the carriage and saw that it was surrounded. The carriage had been chased by a group of barbarians into an ambush; the plan was well executed, but was about to take a sour turn. Luan and Morian were ready for combat, and the barbarians, despite their brute strength, were not adequately skilled to take on the two of them.

Morian flew into action, and blasted the barbarians that were still chasing the carriage, with a barrage of fireballs. In the midst of their pain and confusion Luan appeared with his sword drawn. Some barbarians ran from the flames, while others readied their axes and clubs. They had a spark of ferocity in their eyes, one that would not give way to fear. Luan’s sword was pointed directly at them, his steady grip and stance showed no sign of physical, or mental weakness. The first barbarian approached and swung his axe with speed and strength. Luan repelled it with his sword, and continued to stand his ground. A second barbarian attempted to over power Luan with his club, Luan blocked this second attack, and in a feat of agility and skill he managed to disarm the barbarian. A wave of surprise over took the barbarian raiders; they hesitated for a moment, and then continued their charge forward. Luan had no chance of taking them all on at one with a sword, but he knew he could hold them back. He lowered his sword and began to cast an energy blast. Small bolts of energy started radiating from his hand left hand. The barbarians once again paused in fear, and in their moment of hesitation Morian fired a relentless stream of fire from behind. The barbarians ran, and while running one pulled out a horn. He blew it, and as he did a resounding blast filled the nearby forest. The barbarians near the carriage heard it and instantly dispersed into the trees. It seemed that the pair posed too much of a risk, or a hassle to deal with.

They approached the carriage to see that the driver was ok. His eyes were wide from fear, and from shock. He was as still as one could be without being dead. Words failed to form on his lips. The pair stood there and waited, the imminent danger was now gone and they had no need to hurry. The man began to come to his senses, and realising that it was this boy, and the boy’s dragon that had saved him, he offered them a ride to Battleon. He spoke very little to them on the way to Battleon, as he was still in shock, but he felt more secure then he had ever felt on any other of his numerous journeys. Once they arrived in Battleon he thanked them again, and pointed them in the direction of Warlic’s magic shop. The two walked together, unsure of exactly what to expect.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:43:47 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
5/16/2013 22:44:52   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 8: The armor

Warlic stood waiting at his shops entrance. He seemed slightly more youthful and energetic then usual. Age had taught him composure, but it was hard to contain so much energy, so much excitement, without showing a slight hint, or sign of it. Warlic began to speak the moment he spotted them.
“I’ve been waiting for you two. Its good to see you’ve made it here safely.”
“What was with the sudden summon?” Enquired Luan.
“Your next level of training should begin sooner rather then later. I have plans for you two, to make you the best you can be. There never seems to be an over abundance of heroes when they are needed most. I believe you two may shift the balance one day.” There was a contemplative silence that followed. Warlic evidently had many plans for the pair, too many to make a reality. Luan and Morian, on the other hand were stunned by the amount of confidence and sureness the Arch Mage had in them.

Warlic was the first to break the silence. He did so softly and unobtrusively. He pointed to the side of the room.
“This armor now belongs to you Luan. I trust you’ll use it wisely.” Luan slowly turned his head to the side to see the armor of a dragon Lord. Its metallic surface gleamed and shined fiercely and proudly, even in the dim light of Warlic’s shop. It was sleek, elegant, and majestic, yet at the same time it held power, great strength, and had an undeniable presence to it. Warlic began to speak again, beginning to explain the armor.
“It is made of the strongest metals, by the greatest smiths in all of Lore. Forged in furnaces of dragons breath and shaped by enchanted hammers. The armor is enchanted with dragon magic. It holds great power, and as you grow it will grow with you, and learn how to serve you best.”

Luan was amazed at the Arch Mage’s generosity. Who knew how much such an armor could have cost him, or what price he could have fetched for it. The armor was given to him in trust, but also out of expectation. It was a treasure in its own right, and it was in this regard that Luan would always view it.
“Thank you,” Luan said. His simplicity mirrored his sincerity.
“It goes to where it is needed, but we have work to do. Rest up well, for tomorrow we begin the construction of your spell blade.”
Luan was too stunned to speak. Warlic told Morian to guide Luan away, and then returned to his work.

The pair walked over to the inn, where they found that accommodation had been provided for them. They were fed a good meal and given a small, but comfortable room. Luan was surprised that Morian was welcome to roam freely. The innkeeper, Yulgar, simply explained to him that the town of Battleon had seen many stranger, more menacing, and more dangerous creatures. A Dragonlord and his dragon were most welcome. The thought of being a Dragonlord excited Luan. He had considered himself and Morian to be equals, and although the idea of being a dragon lord did not alter this, it filled him with visions of power that he had not thought he would ever achieve. He slept better then most would have in his circumstance. Somehow, he was able to put his excitement for the future to the side, perhaps in acceptance that it took one step at a time, and to take the next step in the morning he needed to be well rested.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/17/2013 6:43:00 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
5/18/2013 3:05:37   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 9: Elemental Essence

Luan found it strange that Warlic was having a blade forged for him, an Arch Mage of all people was forging a blade for him. He walked into Warlic’s shop to find Yulgar the innkeeper, and Cysero the mad weapon smith.
“It’s a team effort,” explained Warlic. “And you have a part to play too. I am finishing the magical runes for your blade that will imbue it with great power, and magic. Cysero is the most capable of crafting the elemental essence into the metal, and Yulgar’s expertise will ensure a wonderfully, and skillfully crafted weapon.” Luan looked around the room, to see the three men working hard, tools in their hands, and sweat on their brows.
“How am I meant to contribute to this? Enquired Luan.
“I need you to venture into the elemental cave to battle the elemental creatures lurking within. If you defeat one in combat, bring back the elemental essence it leaves behind. Fusing the elemental essence with the metals of the blade will empower your spell blade, a weapon that allows you to spell cast while using your sword.” The prospect of such a weapon filled Luan with excitement. He remembered back to his battle with the necromancer, being unable to counter his spells while using his sword. Luan saw the use of such a weapon, the power it could provide him. He felt overwhelmed by all the gifts, and all the power he was taking on, and once again he felt burdened, as if being a hero would not be an achievement of his own, but of the mass amount of power and destiny that had been bestowed upon him.

What Warlic said next reassured Luan, and seemed very perceptive.
“Power and destiny are great things to have, but a sword like that in clever, capable hands is a very formidable weapon. Now head to the cave.” Morian flew out of the shop, heading in the direction of the caves. Luan began to run after him, but on the way out he gave Warlic a small wave good bye. The Arch Mage returned a small smile. The boy was an interest of his own, not a necessity. Forging the blade was hard work, but for the first time in a while, it was something Warlic had freely chosen to do.

The cave, which the elemental creatures inhabited, had a narrow entrance, yet surprisingly, the path was well illuminated. It felt more like walking inside a house, than walking into the earth. The thick mountain of rock well concealed the masses of magical energies held within the caverns. The further into the cave the pair walked, the stronger the magical energies felt. It was not a sinister, or unnatural energy. It felt like it was well established, as if the mountain was its rightful home.

They ventured onwards slowly, carefully. The energies may not have been sinister, but Luan and Morian were trespassing. Elementals could be highly aggressive when threated, and so the pair walked in silence as well as caution. The further into the cave they walked the stronger the energies began to feel. The narrow cave began to open up into a larger cavern where small mana crystals could be seen forming on the walls. These crystals reflected a small amount of light, not enough to illuminate the room, yet enough to dispel the darkness and uncertainty associated with most caves.

Perhaps lost, and dazed beyond sense, in the beauty of a mana crystal, Luan momentarily put caution aside and reached out to touch one of the larger mana crystals in the room. To one without magical prowess, the cavern would have seemed no different. However to Luan and Morian the surreal calm was gone in a moment and the magical energies became tense. They could feel some sort of elemental creature rushing towards them at a tremendous pace. Luan drew his sword, Morian stood poised, ready to unleash a barrage of fire.

As the arrival of the elemental creature became imminent Morian fired his barrage. The cavern was fully illuminated from the intensity of his fire, but it was to no avail. The creature itself was a fire elemental, a being composed purely of living flame. Morian’s barrage had served only to feed the flames. The being stretched to at least five times its usual size. The heat became intense, so much so that the rock of the cavern began to melt in some places. Luan drew his sword in an attempt to repel the fire elemental, but it was to no avail. His sword swung through the elemental as if it was swinging through air. The elemental took no notice of the ineffectual attempts of Luan, readying a blast of fire of its own. Morian saw this and shielded Luan with a barrier which blocked the flames. Morian’s fire may have been of no use, but he was not a one trick pony.

Strategy was the key to this battle. In a moment of brilliance Luan cast a spell sealing the cave behind the fire elemental in a layer of ice. It was not particularly thick, but it was sufficient. The fire elemental took no notice of this, consumed by the fires of battle, and lost in the smoke associated with it. Luan then began to spell cast offensively, a few small ice blasts here and there began to subdue the elemental’s wrath. As the battle turned in the pair’s favour, the elemental began to back away. Luan did not relent; shards of ice were propelled towards the elemental at a continuous pace. The elemental began to shrink in size and continued to back away, until it backed into the wall of ice behind it. The wall of ice melted, and the elemental was no more.

Luan gathered up the essence while Morian sat there reflectively. Morian had immense power, he realised he could be what would tip the scales of battle. His power was great, and he must use it properly. He had acted too rashly against the elemental, not knowing what he was charging into. The battle had turned against them, however briefly, because of it. Morian learnt two things, the importance of controlling his power, and the greatness of his companion in battle. There was a reason Luan was the leader of the duo.

They walked back to Battleon and delivered the elemental essence to Warlic. He was astonished when he heard their story, but proud of the outcome. It was noon when they had returned. The three men took a lunch break and let Luan and Morian join them. The town of Battleon was used to seeing strange things, but for whatever reason, seeing these three men work so hard for someone who seemed to be a stranger filled them with intrigue and excitement. Luan and Morian were the talk of the town.

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/18/2013 3:15:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
5/19/2013 3:23:47   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 10: The Blade

The makeshift forge set up within Warlic’s shop was an amazing sight. Warlic’s runes had been hand crafted, and enchanted, and lay ready to be installed in the blade. Cysero and Yulgar were mixing the metals and the elemental essence together; the glowing mixture of molten metal gave off an elemental energy. The molten mixture was poured into a mold. Cysero handed Yulgar his hammer, it was large, and could have as easily functioned as effectively as a weapon as it did for smithing. It had a strange green glow to it. Yulgar began pounding away as the metal began to solidify, the sound of metal hitting metal echoed throughout the town. As the blade began to take shape Warlic handed Yulgar the runes. Yulgar were worked with these much more delicately, and carefully installed them in the Centre of the blade.

Luan and Morian watched in silence, amazed and in awe of the expertise of these three men. There was, however, little silence between the three. Cysero and Yulgar constantly exchanged queries, concerns and comments about the blade and how best to craft it. One often asked the others opinion on how best to craft various aspects of the blade. Warlic and Cysero discussed how to keep the blade at its magical peak. Despite their somewhat different beliefs about magic, they were able to meet at a good comprise, ensuring the weapon was capable of great magic. Warlic monitored closely the way in which the runes were handled. Yulgar was aware of their importance, and took great care in crafting around them. Between the three of them, by the time the weapon was finished it was as majestic as it was strong and powerful. It was evening by the time the weapon was crafted, and so they retired for the night.
“Now that the weapon is crafted we’ll begin your training with it tomorrow,” said Warlic.

The next morning Luan and Morian woke and walked to Warlic’s shop. Warlic stood there waiting for them with the blade in his hand.
“It’s a fine weapon,” he said as he handed the blade to Luan. “For a great a hero,” he added. Luan took the blade and held it up high, carefully inspecting it, while at the same time, in awe of it. The look on his face said it all, but he voiced his thoughts regardless.
“Thank you Warlic,” he said.

Warlic took the duo into the east of the Greenguard forest. It was not a long walk, but they could see the landscape around them beginning to change. There were paths in many directions, as Battleon was a central town in the world of Lore, but the further they walked the more sparsely the paths were scattered. They began to head northeast, and the forest began to take on a darker feel.
“We are heading towards Darkovia, a land riddled with Werewolves, Vampires, and other creatures of darkness. We will not be entering it, however, dire wolves occasionally escape from its boundaries and make their way into Greenguard. They are a danger, and great to train on,” explained Warlic. As they progressed, they began to hear movement in the vegetation, and on the odd occasion a loud howl.

In a moment the noise was deafening. A wolf had appeared and was facing them. It was larger then a fully-grown man. Each of its claws was as long as a human hand. Its fangs were a little smaller then that, save for its two canines, which were more or less double the size of a human hand. It ran towards the group, and as it ran the ground shook beneath its paws. Its ragged and poorly kept fur barely moved in the wind, to weighed down by dirt and bits of vegetation that had become entangled in it.

In a flash Warlic was gone, but his voice boomed loudly.
“Use your sword to cast your magic, this is your battle to win,” he said commandingly. Luan saw the dire wolf charging at him and drew his sword. Morian waited, poised, ready for action, to follow Luan’s lead. Luan began to cast a fire spell, but this time, rather then from his hand, it came from his blade, and was a lot larger then previous fire spells he had cast. Morian, assured by Luan’s actions fired a steady stream of fire breath at the wolf. The smell of burnt fur spread rapidly. The dire wolf had an angered look in its eye, and in its anger the wolf seemed to swell in size.

With both magic and his sword at his disposal, potentially at the same time, Luan attacked relentlessly. A fireball matched every slash of Luan’s sword; the young dragon also attacked relentlessly, both effectively attacking the wolf. The wolf, too enraged by anger to deal with an attack on two fronts frantically attempted to attack both Luan and Morian at once. This was to no avail, and soon the wolf lay dead.

When the battle was won Warlic reappeared. He applauded them, congratulating them as best as he could. He seemed impressed as he spoke.
“Dire wolves are among the most dangerous creatures you’ll find in Greenguard forest, perhaps even in Lore. Your two have certainly proved yourselves today.”

Training continued in this way. Each day Warlic would send the pair out into the forest to hunt some sort of new animal or monster. The forests of Greenguard became a safer place for the inhabitants and trade become easier without all the dangers. Luan and Morian became much more experienced, and began to make a name for themselves, occasionally saving traders and travelers from barbarian raids. Their deeds became known in Battleon and people would greet them in the town. Training continued this way for a few months.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
5/24/2013 23:15:26   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

Part 11: The Dragon Unleashed

On one of these days of training, in the middle of summer, Luan and Morian found that the horcs Warlic had instructed them to battle and drive out of town were far more numerous than they had expected. They were wild and warlike, each horc was slightly larger then a man, their green skin bulged with muscle. They were clothed in a mixture of animal furs which they had hunted themselves and metal armor. These were renegade horcs, bloodthirsty and violent. Their weapons were large, too bulky for a human to wield effectively, but deadly in the hands of the horcs, who could wield them with brute strength.
Warlic had warned the pair that horcs normally traveled together in scouting parties numbering about five or so. There seemed to be at least ten of them wandering in Greenguard forest though. Luan signaled to Morian to creep up behind them. Morian did this stealthily and fired a large amount of fire at them. This was as much for show as it was to harm the horcs. In response to the flames the horcs ran, unbeknownst to them Luan was ready and waiting for them. He sprung out of the bushes and enveloped himself in flames. Confronted by a heavily armored warrior, surrounded by a wall of flames, and his dragon, the horcs chose to retreat rather then keep fighting.

The pair walked towards Battleon again, proud of the days efforts, having battled more horcs then they were expecting. They walked up a familiar hill and as they arrived at the top they were shocked at what they saw. The town of Battleon was overrun with horcs. The inhabitants of the town were doing their best to drive them off, but it seemed they were loosing ground. It was a truly desperate struggle, as Warlic himself was leading an assault, a sight only seen in dire times. Cysero and Yulgar were leading another charge. Cysero was now using the same hammer that had been used to craft Luan’s sword as a weapon. Yulgar was wielding a weapon he had clearly crafted for his personal use at some point; the two smiths seemed to make a good team in battle.

Luan reached for the dragon amulet around his neck. He knew it had great power, and that he could potentially turn the tide of this battle. Morian knew it too; he took a few steps back in anticipation. Luan pulled out the amulet by its chain and held it towards Morian. As if it could read his mind the amulet let out a blast of energy in Morian’s direction. In an instant, Morian was no longer a young dragon, but full adult size. His was taller then most of the buildings in the town, each of his claws were at least the size of Luan’s sword. Morian crouched down and Luan made his way onto Morian’s back. The moment Luan was properly o his back, Morian soared into the air above the town and rained down fire upon the masses of horcs.

Luan was amazed by the experience, the wind blowing all around him, the vast expanse he could see before him in every direction. He saw the whole of Battleon below him, and the battle as it continued. While Morian dealt with the masses, Luan saw an opportunity to help as best he could. From above he fired smaller blasts of fire of his own, assisting groups of warriors who were defending the town. Whenever a group of warriors was about to be surrounded, Luan’s fireballs would create an opening for them to escape. Whenever a group neglected to watch their back, Luan would deal with assault any horcs sneaking up behind them.

The horcs soon realised that they had no way of retaliating against an airborne dragon, and began to retreat. The town of Battleon soon peaceful again, no one had been killed; the town watch had spotted the horcs from a mile off as they were so loud. The town had been prepared and made ready to fight a defensive Battleon until a better strategy could be devised. Luan dismounted Morian and as he did the dragon amulet returned Morian to normal size. They helped with the clean up, and as they did, just about every warrior in the village thanked them. It was their first true battle, and everyone viewed them as heroes.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> Destiny's Companion
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition