Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(AQW) Destiny's Companion Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (AQW) Destiny's Companion Discussion
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/25/2013 7:53:01   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

If you want to read it, go to http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21246259&mpage=1&key=�

Discuss away, any thoughts or comments are welcome :)

< Message edited by Zereldo -- 5/10/2013 20:52:15 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
4/25/2013 23:37:53   
araxia

I don't know if you've noticed, but the link to discussion in your story just redirects you back to the story.

Anyways... found a few errors in your story.

quote:

All that can be certain is that he is destined for more then the village

All that we can be certain of is that he is destined for more than the village.

quote:

to avoid an opponents strength and Identify their weaknesses, when to strike, and when to be patient

to avoid an opponent's strength and identify their weaknesses, when to strike, and when to be patient

quote:

He learnt faster then most, but it was not easy work.

He learned faster than most, but it was not easy work.

quote:

The Neverglades were not without their charm, magic or wonder, but they were certainly more dangerous then the forest of Oaklore.

The Neverglades were not without their charm, magic, or wonder, but they were certainly more dangerous than the forest of Oaklore.

quote:

but they were certainly more dangerous then the forest of Oaklore. Adventure waited further from home. Luan

It's not very good transition here. Whenever you switch subjects, you have to start a new paragraph. There are a few exceptions, but the above jumps to different things far too quickly.

quote:

Luan needed a challenge, and although he was not aware of it his home on the edge of Oaklore no longer provided the challenge he needed to further hone his skills or quench his thirst for adventure

Luan needed a challenge, and although he was not aware of it, his home on the edge of Oaklore no longer provided the challenge he needed to further hone his skills, or quench his thirst for adventure

quote:

Until today he had been able to shrug those feelings off, but now the feeling was overpowering, as if a torrent of water pushed him forward.

Until today, he had been able to shrug those feelings off, abut now the feeling was overpowering, as if a torrent of water was pushing him forward.

quote:

He took his first step into the Netherglades and to his surprise felt no regret. Instead he felt free, relieved and ready for more. For the moment his thirst had been quenched.

He took his first step into the Netherglades, and to his surprise felt no regret. Instead he felt free, relieved, and ready for more. For the moment, his thirst had been quenched.

quote:

Luan was no fool, he walked cautiously an quietly, well aware that their could be hidden dangers in places unknown to him. As he walked he could see through a less densely packed line of trees that there was a path ahead and began to make his way towards it. While approaching he noticed that walking the path ahead of him was a small band of undead being directed by a necromancer.

Luan was no fool, he walked cautiously and quietly, well aware that there could be hidden dangers in places unknown to him. As he walked, he could see through a less densely packed line of trees that there was a path ahead and began to make his way towards it. While approaching, he noticed that walking the path ahead of him was a small band of undead being directed by a necromancer.

quote:

He waited till the cover was especially thick so that he would not be seen, before casting his light spell

The comma is unnecessary.

quote:

There was a quick flash of light, the necromancer was blinded and one of the four undead carrying the cage was slain.

There was a quick flash of light, the necromancer was blinded, and one of the four undead carrying the cage was slain.

quote:

The three undead were unable to manage the weight between them and the cage fell to the ground with a loud metallic clank.

There aren't really any grammatical errors here, but weren't there 6 total undead? I'm guessing you meant the three remaining undead holding the cage, so I would suggest adding that somewhere in there.

quote:

The moment Luan had been waiting for was here as one of the necromancer’s undead guards had to leave his side in order to take the place of the recently slain undead.

The moment Luan had been waiting for was here, as one of the necromancer’s undead guards had to leave his side in order to take the place of the recently slain undead.
OR
The moment Luan had been waiting for was here! One of the necromancer’s undead guards would have to leave his side in order to take the place of the recently slain undead.

quote:

As the undead bent over to lift up the cage Luan leapt into action and effortlessly dealt with the undead minion with a swift slash of his sword.

As the undead bent over to lift up the cage, Luan leapt into action and effortlessly dealt with the undead guard with a swift slash of his sword. Sorry, I just thought "guard" would describe who he was cutting better than "minion."

Your errors are mostly comma errors. Commas are really important :P An example of it would be something along the lines of, "Let's eat Grandma!" (eating your grandmother) and "Let's eat, Grandma!" (eating WITH your grandmother) Seriously, it's important.

And I'm too lazy to get the rest of the errors.

< Message edited by araxia -- 4/26/2013 0:16:36 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/26/2013 6:14:28   
Zereldo
AQW Class Designer

@araxia Well not exactly the discussion I was hoping for. The only word to that fits is thanks. gone through and have made most of the corrections. Living in New Zealand I use British spelling to "Learnt" Is correct for me. Comma's are just a part of my writing which I need to address, I had no idea about that weakness before so I can only thank you for pointing that out to me. Then and than is something I was never taught but am making some progress with (thank you school for not ever picking that one up). Typos are typos and I need to lean to proof read better.

So thanks once again for going through all that :) but thanks even more for actually reading it as both are really appreciated :)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
5/30/2014 18:59:31   
Serpine

It's an alright fanfiction and generally well written. However, you've perhaps unwittingly incorporated a few cliches such as the villain laughing which makes the story initially come off as a tad corny.

Lacking a better term, the introductory chapter was failing to hold my interest which is perhaps a dangerous thing as it is usualy te first few paragraphs which a reader uses to determine whether they want to carry on reading. I feel as though the second chapter was an improvement but I think you should have portrayed the Necromancer character as a more distant and cold character (btw, the necromancer instantly realising Luan has great abilities is one of the aforementioned cliches).

Perhaps to improve on this, you could expand on the inner monologue of Luan since it seems this story is based mainly on a first person account and don't write in too many other perspectives giving too much away.

Overall I feel as though this story has potential and with minor changes here and there, it could well develop into a more interesting read. Keep working at it. :)

Bear in mind that this is merely my opinion and will differ from the opinions of others greatly because I'm quite a nitpicky person. :)

If you do make any changes, I look forward to reading them. I usually prefer reading this genre of fiction.

Excuse any typos. On my phone and i'm not meticulous enough to go back and check all my grammar and punctuation. :)
AQW  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (AQW) Destiny's Companion Discussion
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition