Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Change energy damage to emotional damage

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Change energy damage to emotional damage
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/5/2013 2:29:14   
edwardvulture

Energy damage denotes that your energy is being taken. (like what depressed void said in his thread)
It makes perfect sense if energy damage got changed to emotional damage because:
-your health can decline for emotional reasons
-you can die from bad emotions
-resistance could easily be changed to address mental states
-it would fit in with all the aspects of the game ex. getting smashed by a blue hammer hurts your feelings
-this type of change would attract more players

What are your thoughts on this?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
12/5/2013 2:36:24   
Mother1

While this sounds interesting I have to ask how come you posted this in the balance section? It sound more like a suggestion to me TBH.
Epic  Post #: 2
12/5/2013 3:20:24   
Teserve

Seems cool.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
12/5/2013 6:43:36   
RageSoul

#swag so it's pretty neat :)
AQW Epic  Post #: 4
12/5/2013 7:42:40   
Remorse

Emotional sounds a bit sissy...

sounds like people take damaging from getting emotional....

How about calling it "Mental" damage

Mental also fits with the counter resistance as people mentally fit are more resistant to mental damage.

Epic  Post #: 5
12/5/2013 8:12:56   
Silver Sky Magician

So we have weapons that explicitly inflict psychological damage, without actual physical damage? This concept is absurd and needless. What I do think would be more interesting would be a core that inflicts Mental Crippling as a status condition, possibly, idk, preventing the opponent from using energy for one turn, though that sounds really overpowered.
Post #: 6
12/5/2013 9:35:11   
Stabilis

I hope you are not saying that I recommended "emotional damage".

( )

I recommended "electrical damage".

EDIT: I also recommended that "physical damage" be "kinetic damage". They make sense.

< Message edited by Depressed Void -- 12/5/2013 9:40:53 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 7
12/5/2013 9:48:28   
Remorse

few more ideas,

-surge
-power charge
-atomic
-thermal (a favorite)
-light
-solar
-power (already suggested before credit to whoever did)
-plasma (another favorite)
Epic  Post #: 8
12/5/2013 15:03:41   
  Exploding Penguin

Or we could keep them the same because right now they're very simple and not confusing at all. At first glance people really wouldn't notice anyways, and I feel it's way simpler this way then trying to mess it up with raw logical names.
Epic  Post #: 9
12/5/2013 15:27:03   
Stabilis

quote:

not confusing at all.

Debatable. Physical is not intrinsically wrong, but it is vague. Physical just means belonging to physics, and physics is just the study of nature in how and why things happen the way they do. Is this appropriate for the conventions of hitting someone over the head with steel? I would disagree.

Then we have energy... damage. And energy, too. So, if I take energy damage, do I lose energy? No, unless the skill specifies that. Energy damage removes health, and energy is very much exclusive. Also, taking the premise of physics, energy technically belongs to it. Energy is force in motion, and both of those articles are physical quantities.

You can probably see why someone might find them confusing. The general young audience might be... below the level of understanding thermodynamics or electromagnetics, but later on in life, they may certainly become aware of these basic concepts.
AQ Epic  Post #: 10
12/5/2013 15:36:29   
  Exploding Penguin

Generally people will think of something physical as something tangible. Is electricity physical? Logically, yes. You could touch a lightning bolt, and there is static electricity. However, people typically don't think of energy of any sorts as being tangible.

The point is right now the name is appealing to the general public who doesn't spend too much time thinking about it.
Epic  Post #: 11
12/5/2013 16:22:30   
Stabilis

quote:

Generally people will think of something physical as something tangible. Is electricity physical? Logically, yes. You could touch a lightning bolt, and there is static electricity.

I hate to rain on parades, but there is no tangibility involved in a lightning bolt. If there were, we would have heard about people touching lightning bolts. As it stands, electricity (lightning is static electricity jumping from the negatively charged clouds to the positive ground), is not solid, liquid, gas, but it includes plasma. The mere concept of lightning is an electron current generated by frictional clouds that form polar nodes (like north and south in a magnet), cold and positive at the top, warm and negative at the bottom. Lightning oft conducts between them as they cycle between positive and negative but can jump to the earth if the pathway is conductive enough and the ground is positive enough. This is why lightning usually strikes in rain as opposed to dry weather, as water is less resistant to electricity than air. Lightning will still occur in dry weather however, and we have seen this occur mid-west in America with forest fires. The lightning is not assumed to be the cause of fires, but the reverse. The extreme convection from wildfires simulates cloud-like friction, and the hot air and the cool air will generate enough charge to strike with lightning, all from a forest fire. But I feel as if I have rambled out of line and will address what I was first addressing. Lightning is not something you could touch, and if you completed its circuit into the ground, hope that those 10 to 120 mega volts do nothing. Lightning, is large-scale static electricity, and static electricity is a build up of charge by either friction, induction, or conduction. Electricity is just a jumping electron from atom to atom, and it releases quite a bit of energy in those jumps, and that electrical energy stimulates our nerves, causing pain... in lighter cases. Lightning is common because of common hydrogen atom involved, which has a single valence electron that is loosely attached to its orbit because of ionic bonding where hydrogen loses its electron to ionize positively.

Ultimately, lightning is action, not material, even if materials are involved. This could have been likened to touching clusters of electrons, but electrons do not cluster freely in nature, they are much too busy attracting to positive particles like protons to be forcing themselves together.

And this is the story of why I cannot sit idly by and hear of touching lightning.
AQ Epic  Post #: 12
12/8/2013 20:22:07   
ReinVI

emotional damage? then mages already have the upperhand since they can get a clown mask so anyone with a phobia of clowns will crack up immediately :P

but in all seriousness trying to simulate 'mental' conditioning in a game such as this while interesting in concept is in general a bad idea... plus it also makes zero sense as to why a
glowing blue sword would be inflicting 'mental' damage in any way as to physical harm.

also remorse I was the one who suggested power since you know "emp's" take out all electrical systems within there radius unless it's emp-shielded so 'power' would obviously make the most sense if replacing the name of energy with something else. If replacing the energy damage type I could support electrical damage as a possible replacement.

< Message edited by ReinVI -- 12/8/2013 20:24:39 >
Epic  Post #: 13
12/10/2013 19:10:46   
The Game
Pegasus Overlord

I'm going to lock this on the grounds that this is, in practical terms, an issue of semantics more so than balance itself. Additionally, people have gone off on tangents and have rudely dismissed the suggestion as detracting from their supposed masculinity. This confluence of factors leads me to believe that a large enough portion of this community is not mature enough to discuss the proposal.
AQ  Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> Change energy damage to emotional damage
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition