Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= March 7th, 2014 - Onward to War

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= March 7th, 2014 - Onward to War
Page 1 of 712345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/7/2014 14:58:17   
  WhiteTiger

Majestic Feline of AQ3D & ED

quote:

March 7, 2014
Onward to War

War is approaching. A better war. A faster war. A war that more fully captures to epic clash of Legion and Exile forces. Though this new war was not quite ready to be unveiled today, we're still hard at work and hope to have a finished feature ready to go early next week. This Design Note post will reveal some new and exciting elements from the new war system.

Server Stability
Before we get into the meat of the post, I'll briefly mention the absense of Legion and Doom from the server select. Today we did a small update to patch some exploits and improve server security. Due to recent erratic behavior, Legion and Doom were taken offline. We do not yet know if we will bring them back, but we do know that those servers were old and underperforming. Epic and Exile (we should probably change their names now, huh?) will soon be upgraded to faster, more modern servers to improve performance, making additional servers unnecessary for the time being.

Onward to WAR!
With the new war system, we wanted to emphasize accessibility. The current war has a lot of moving parts and can be quite difficult to grasp for a novice just learning the basics of dueling. Under the new system, the active war will be represented by a global war bar. This war bar provides general information about the conflict and quick-jump buttons to the main objectives.

When the war is over, the prize button will become active for the winning alignment! We'll get to that a bit later...

Some war objectives may be familiar with a few key changes -- you'll notice the Control Array now has a shield over it. It's up to the alignment on offense to bring down the shield and capture the Array, while the defenders must stop the aggressors at all costs!

To defend or attack, Legion and Exile warriors will receive PvP war drops. Defenders will receive Dread Bombs while the attackers will receive Dread Shells. These drops can be used at objectives to gain influence for yourself, your Faction, and your alignment. This is also the primary mechanism for driving the war. To discourage hoarding, you will only be able to hold a maximum of 10 of each type of war drop in your inventory. If you choose not to participate in the war, you will be able to sell the drops with no sellback.

War drops can be used at war objectives, which will be scattered throughout the active region.

Clicking a war objective brings up a menu to use your war drops. You can use your drops for free, or upgrade them to a more powerful form for Varium. The more powerful drops can also drop from PvP battles, but at a much lower rate.

The objectives will show realtime destruction as they are used and abused by warring alignments. Small notifications will appear to broadcast your feats of valor for all to see!

Each objective has a different attribute -- providing interesting tactical decisions for either side of the conflict.

Defend your objectives or see them burnt to the ground! When the war ends, the winning alignment, along with the most victorious player and Faction will be displayed prominently throughout the region!

Cores
With the changes to the war system, we'll be consolidating the existing regional influence-buffing cores into a sole War Commander core. This new limited-charge core will give 10 guaranteed war drops for battle victories.

This core will be available from prominent Legion and Exile NPCs in active war regions.

More Cheevos!
Since some are already very close to attaining the 10th tier of certain regional war achievements, we've decided to bump up the difficulty with 2 more tiers for each region. We're even planning a super-special acheivement for reaching tier 12 on ALL regions, including Frysteland and the Infernal Mines (coming soon)!

During the war, you'll also have a change to earn the prestigious War Hero achievement by earning the most influence in a single day!

Big Prizes!
Winng a war is an incredible task, so the victors should receive equally incredible rewards! Never-before-seen weapons, armors, vehicles and amazing currency bonuses await those who triumph!

If you're the picky type, you'll have a list of 6 items to choose from when claiming your reward. The prizes will rotate between war events so the list will be ever-changing and always interesting!

Expect an early release next week while we iron out the last of the bugs and polish the remaining features of our new war system! Thank you for your patience! We're confident the feature will be worth the wait!

Springtime Gear!
Last but not least, remember to check out the seasonal rare Springtime gear, available at Naomi and Xraal!

Grab this awesome gear before it disappears back into the database aether for another year!

Tags: Titan spring War Factions Weapons

Tagged! ~Mecha

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 3/7/2014 15:53:21 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 1
3/7/2014 15:46:55   
Scyze

I'll be trying to get the War Hero Achievement during the Easter break, but I don't know if I will be tempted to get it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/7/2014 16:42:03   
Mother1

That achievement will be claimed by just about all the hardcore players as well as those who choose to abuse the flavor of the week builds. But on another note hopefully this event will be a real war and not like this dreaded war which is nothing more than game play with cheevos.

But I hope the capture cheevo get a boost as well. If that gets boosted I might become active again.
Epic  Post #: 3
3/7/2014 17:43:15   
Noobatron x3000

noticed today seems new a bug or maybe im just noticing it after the reboot earliar

guys highest primary damage is 532 hes hitting me for 232 when my lowest res is 342 unless im missing something the highest he should be able to hit with a normal strike is 190
Post #: 4
3/7/2014 17:48:02   
Wootz

Seems good. ^^
AQW Epic  Post #: 5
3/7/2014 18:05:21   
Ranloth
Banned

@Noobatron x3000
Instead of posting it in General Discussion, there's the Bugs section... <.< Also, pictures or it didn't happen. Test it again to duplicate it, otherwise it was a mistake on your side by messing up the numbers.
AQ Epic  Post #: 6
3/7/2014 18:27:42   
Noobatron x3000

I know what I saw wodnt know how to go about proving it and why should I waste my time things should be tested correctly, it isn't an obligation of the consumer to test stuff , I'm perfectly within my rights to expect what I see to be accurate vs the maths.

please reword your response.
Post #: 7
3/7/2014 18:57:03   
Ranloth
Banned

Actually, as a player, your duty is to report bugs when possible. If you choose not to, well, it's either a false alarm, or you're just making the game worse for yourself - by playing the bugged version and refusing to get it fixed as soon as possible. Well, it's common sense at least. Without any proof, I've hit 500 damage at 100 Resistance, even though my total damage is 400, and I didn't crit nor rage - without any proof, I can also say it's bugged. Don't be so sure of your math, because you're likely in the wrong there.
AQ Epic  Post #: 8
3/7/2014 19:42:30   
edwardvulture

Please fix balance 1st...
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
3/7/2014 19:55:38   
Noobatron x3000

A quote for the devs I genuinely think will help.

quote:

Balancing and fairness[edit]

Balancing does not necessarily mean making a game fair. This is particularly true of action games: Jaime Griesemer, design lead at Bungie, said in a lecture to other designers that "every fight in Halo is unfair".[2] This potential for unfairness creates uncertainty, leading to the tension and excitement that action games seek to deliver.[3][4][1]

In these cases balancing is instead the management of unfair scenarios, with the ultimate goal of ensuring that all of the strategies which the game intends to support are viable.[2] The extent to which those strategies are equal to one another defines the character of the game in question.

Simulation games can be balanced unfairly in order to be true to life. A wargame may cast the player into the role of a general who was defeated by an overwhelming force, and it is common for the abilities of teams in sports games to mirror those of the real-world teams they represent regardless of the implications for players who pick them.

Difficulty level[edit]

Video games often allow players to influence their balance by offering a choice of "difficulty levels".[5] These affect how challenging the game is to play.

In addition to altering the game's rules, difficulty levels can be used to alter what content is presented to the player. This usually takes the form of adding or removing challenging location or events, but some games also change their narrative to reward players who play them on higher difficulty levels (Max Payne 2) or end early as punishment for playing on easy (Castlevania).

Difficulty selection is not always presented bluntly, particularly in competitive games where all players are affected equally and the standard "easy/hard" terminology no longer applies. Sometimes veiled language is used (Mario Kart offers "CC select"), while at other times there may be an array of granular settings instead of an overarching difficulty option.

An alternative approach to difficulty levels is catering to players of all abilities at the same time, a technique that has been called "subjective difficulty".[6] This requires a game to provide multiple solutions or routes, each offering challenges appropriate to players of different skill levels (Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Generations).

Difficulty can also be managed by a third party or the game itself; see the Gamemaster section below.

Pacing[edit]

Balancing goals shift dramatically when players are contending with the game's environment and/or non-player characters. Such player versus environment games are usually balanced to tread the fine line of regularly challenging players' abilities without ever producing insurmountable or unfair obstacles.[4] This turns balancing into the management of dramatic structure,[3] generally referred to by game designers as "pacing".

Pacing is also a consideration in competitive games, but the autonomy of players makes it harder to control.

Techniques[edit]

Symmetry[edit]

The simplest game balancing technique is giving each player identical resources. Most competitive games feature some level of symmetry; some (such as Pong) are completely symmetric, but those in which players alternate turns (such as Chess) can never achieve total symmetry as one player will always have a first-move advantage.

Symmetry can be undone by human psychology. The advantage of players wearing red over players wearing blue is a well-documented example of this.[7][8]

Statistical analysis[edit]

The brute force approach to balancing is the mathematical analysis of game session results. With enough data, it is possible to identify unbalanced areas of a game and make corrections.

Randomization[edit]

Randomization of starting conditions is a technique common in board games, card games, and also experimental research[9] which fights back against the human tendency to optimise patterns in one's favor.[2]

The downside of randomization is that it takes control away from the player, potentially leading to frustration. Methods of overcoming this include giving the player a selection of random results within which they can optimise (Scrabble, Magic: The Gathering) and making each game session short enough to encourage multiple attempts in one play session (Klondike (solitaire), Strange Adventures in Infinite Space).

Feedback loops[edit]

Many games become more challenging if the player is successful. For instance, real-time strategy games often feature "upkeep", a resource tax that scales with the number of units under a player's control.[10] Team games which challenge players to invade their opponents' territory (football, capture the flag) have a feedback loop by default: the further a player pushes, the more opponents they are likely to face.

Feedback loops can lead to frequent ties if enforced too strictly. See also Dynamic game difficulty balancing.

Gamemaster[edit]

A game can be balanced dynamically by a gamemaster who observes players and adjusts the game in response to their emotional state (Dungeons & Dragons, Left 4 Dead).

Although gamemasters have historically been humans, some videogames now feature AI systems that perform a similar role by monitoring player ability and inferring emotional state from input.[4] Research into biofeedback peripherals is set to greatly improve the accuracy of such systems.[11]

Slang[edit]

Gimp[edit]

In role-playing game slang, a "gimp" is a character, character class or character ability that is underpowered in the context of the game (e.g. A close range warrior class equipping a full healing boosting armour set, despite having no healing abilities.) . Gimped characters lack effectiveness compared to other characters at a similar level of experience.[12] A player may gimp a character by assigning skills and abilities that are inappropriate for the character class, or by developing the character inefficiently.[13] However, this is not always the case, as some characters are purposely "gimped" by the game's developers in order to provide an incentive for raising their level, or, conversely, to give the player an early head-start. An example of this is Final Fantasy's Mystic Knight class, which starts out weak, but is able to become the most powerful class if brought to a very high level. Gimps may also be accidental on the part of the developer, and may require a software patch to rebalance.

Sometimes, especially in MMORPGs, gimp is used as a synonym for nerf to describe a rule modification that weakens the affected target. Unlike the connotatively neutral term nerf[citation needed], gimp in this usage often implies that the rule change unfairly disadvantages the target.[14]

Nerf[edit]

Main article: Nerf (computer gaming)

A "nerf" is a change to a game that reduces the desirability or effectiveness of a particular game element. The term is also used as a verb for the act of making such a change.[15]

The first established use of the term was in Ultima Online, as a reference to the NERF brand of toys which are soft and less likely to cause serious injury.[16][17]

Among game developers, MMORPG designers are especially likely to nerf aspects of a game in order to maintain game balance. Occasionally a new feature (such as an item, class, or skill) may be made too powerful, too cheap, or too easily obtained to the extent that it unbalances the game system. This is sometimes due to an unforeseen bug or method of using or acquiring the object that was not considered by the developers.[16][18] The frequency of nerfing and the scale of nerfing vary widely from game to game but almost all massively multiplayer games have engaged in nerfing at some point.[18]

Nerfs in various online games, including Anarchy Online, have spurred in-world protests.[17] Since many items in virtual worlds are sold or traded among players, a nerf may have an outsized impact on the virtual economy. As players respond, the nerf may cause prices to fluctuate before settling down in a different equilibrium. This impact on the economy, along with the original impact of the nerf, can cause large player resentment for even a small change.[17][18] In particular, in the case of items or abilities which have been nerfed, players can become upset over the perceived wasted efforts in obtaining the now nerfed features.[17][18]

A well-known instance in which a nerf has caused many protests, but much more praise, is when Infinity Ward nerfed the Model 1887s in its video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Before the nerf, the Model 1887s were able to One Shot Kill from medium-long range when all other shotguns in game were limited to short-medium range. The nerfing of the Model 1887s reduced its range to short range.

For games where avatars and items represent significant economic value, this may bring up legal issues over the lost value.[19]

Overpowered[edit]

Overpowered (often abbreviated to OP) is a common term referring to a perceived lack of game balance. It is often used when describing a specific class in an RPG, a specific faction in strategic games, or a specific tactic, ability, weapon or unit in various games. For something to be deemed overpowered, it is either the best choice in a disproportionate number of situations (marginalising other choices) and/or excessively hard to counter by the opponent compared to the effort required to use it.

Revamp[edit]

A revamp is a term for improving or modifying the game's items, skills, abilities, or stats, opposite of nerfing or gimping

Underpowered[edit]

Underpowered, a common term, opposite of overpowered, is also a lack of game balance. However this weaker ability, item or skill shall need revamp.
Post #: 10
3/8/2014 4:53:57   
Remorse

The bad:
-Varium abuseable war system
-No mention of balance changes
-No mention of legendary ranks changes and or position for the future.
-No mention of the bugg eggzooka compensation

The good:
-Increase server stability.

Overall Not impressed.

Offerings of rewards, for possibly either spending a ton of varium or just being lucky enough to be on the side that wins is also not appealing to me.

If fact rewards in terms of items/achievements are not what they should be focusing on to keep players interested in their game.

My two cents.

Take care,
Remorse Less.

Off-topic post removed. ~Mecha

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 3/8/2014 13:13:30 >
Epic  Post #: 11
3/8/2014 9:32:00   
AQisFuN
Banned

Not going to play this game anymore. :/
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
3/8/2014 9:47:30   
DarkDevil

the fact that only the winning side gets the reward is depressing.

a better idea will be that all gets the rewards but is themed on the winning side , ie: exile or legion themed.

< Message edited by DarkDevil -- 3/8/2014 9:53:05 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 13
3/8/2014 10:33:28   
Noobatron x3000

Ed has become sickening to me now almost every single class is using 1400 - 1600 hp builds with 500-550 primary/secondary damage . EVERYONE is using the same build like omg. Do something fast
Post #: 14
3/8/2014 13:07:44   
LigerBeard

@ Noobatron: Thanks for the balance info thing, I didn't ever think about balance like that until reading it. And while I also agree with your point about almost every build being OP, I would go by a different approach then the one you're using. If it sounds like your complaining, it will only get your post deleted by staff, as it isn't allowed unless it is constructive.

@ DarkDevil: Well, IMO it just gives both sides more motivation. That way, there won't be a repeat of the massive leads that happened in the War's original release.

@ AQisFuN: If that's the case, then hopefully you don't regret it, considering the war overhall.

This new war system to me looks both easy and challenging at the same time. By that I mean that it's easier to learn than the past systems, but also will likely be a challenge. Cant wait for it to be released. If it's as good as I'm thinking, I just might get back into playing ED a lot more often.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
3/8/2014 13:33:52   
DunkThatOreo

/facepalm

Why can't they just see we don't want this crap? I don't care about getting never before seen prizes if pvp is still in the state its in.

I honestly don't blame players for switching to OP classes and abusing OP builds because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO. Players are bored out of their minds
and the only thing that sparks just a little enjoyment is winning, and even winning isn't enjoyable anymore imo.

Epic  Post #: 16
3/8/2014 13:44:45   
s0u1ja b0y

@dunkthatoreo
Obviously some people want this or they wouldn't do it. People will deal with the balance issues to get the items and achievements.
Epic  Post #: 17
3/8/2014 14:00:55   
Ranloth
Banned

Charfade mentioned that balance is actively worked on, during the last livestream. If you expect weekly or bi-weekly updates, then don't expect serious balance changes either. No mention of fixes doesn't mean there won't be any...

Would you rather they confirm everything in DNs, and then cancel some of it? Or just wait until last minute and then announce any additional changes?

Oh, by the way, players wanted the War gone or making it closer to the Infernal/Frysteland War, which this war has + new features. The war isn't meant to be one-off event, but rather ongoing one, alongside other events. Not everyone wants full-on balance changes, and no content. And vice versa.
AQ Epic  Post #: 18
3/8/2014 15:04:39   
edwardvulture

I think they are tackling balance incorrectly. They are making slight adjustments and usually nerfs to a system that players do not really find enjoyable in the long run. they should really be slamming it until it is fun again. What they said about passives being over-invested on could easily be fixed instead of changing all passives to actives(what we have now...). Passives used to define a class and that was a huge selling point for having fun with a class. And to be honest, agility was a good concept but they did not have the means to tweak it before the 10x update. High Health IS overpowered. We can clearly see that with the plethora of end-game legendary builds that generally higher HP goes hand in hand with higher win rate. Health has always been an overpowered stat to invest in. Even in the beginning of Omega when it scaled by 1's, I made a TLM poision build that had 110 HP that trumped most other builds.
They should really work on enjoyably of battles instead of incentives to battles.

EDIT: scrap what I said about it being easy. I have no experience in coding and/or balance testing.

< Message edited by edwardvulture -- 3/8/2014 15:06:16 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
3/8/2014 23:17:42   
Remorse

^ Agreed,

A complete overhaul might be needed.

Something to sort out the mess of energy looping and spam-able free costing skills.

It seems odd that they change passives to actives then completely forget about it, sure they did a few nerfs to some of the skills but they didn't even respond to the major issues that arose from free costing high powered energy drains and regains.

It would not be good of me to state all these issues without giving some sort of solution idea, so I will say it again, my stamina idea http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21537904.

< Message edited by Remorse -- 3/8/2014 23:19:37 >
Epic  Post #: 20
3/9/2014 3:26:38   
edwardvulture

quote:

Ed has become sickening to me now almost every single class is using 1400 - 1600 hp builds with 500-550 primary/secondary damage . EVERYONE is using the same build like omg. Do something fast

My Brainchild

< Message edited by edwardvulture -- 3/9/2014 13:15:18 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 21
3/9/2014 7:57:09   
One Winged Angel1357

Since everyone is talking about balance i will talk about the war. It looks like a mini infernal infiltration except it is a game capture the flag. Both sides fight for drops but then it takes a frostyland turn with consumables seeming to be the only means of advancement. So we potentially have another war were the side with the deepest pocket wins.

I hope there is a system in place to deal with varium abuse because the first war showed us no one wants to play once it is a battle of money
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 22
3/9/2014 8:47:35   
Noobatron x3000

Ok I just logged on my level 33 alt for a few hours today and devs I want you to understand something. Balance being completely broken is bad enough in itself. But I've been logged in a hour and playing 2v2 and 1v1 abit.

Every single 1v1 match has been me 33 vs a 36 - 38

And every single 2v2 match has had a 4-6 level gap against me. This is a pretty standard hour for me on a daily basis .

It cannot continue. You need to tackle balance and matchmaking fast . Please I want to see a ed where the servers can get above 3 figures maybe even largely above never going to happen in the state its in now.
Post #: 23
3/9/2014 9:04:06   
Ranloth
Banned

Same thing over and over again, and the same answer - some people care as much about search times, as you care about balanced matches. You cannot ignore one for the other, so it won't be done anytime soon. Small steps only, to not make it too long nor imbalanced, which means they can try going one level at the time, to reduce the level gap for PvP.

It's not this difficult to understand search times are just important, and that you cannot forgo one for the other. It's been rambled on for months. The answer is the same.
AQ Epic  Post #: 24
3/9/2014 9:10:35   
Noobatron x3000

Its ridiculous at 36 + stat wise it starts becoming feasible to make the high hp strength builds which most are using in that rng to stand a chance in hell against any of the 40s they may intercept . at 33 its impossible to put up a fight against these builds go strength hp you'll never hit anything and have no defence the build just isn't feasible at 33. Tank out enough to lower the builds strength to manageable levels you'll either have no offence without mana or base hp. Turning me into a free win to the build most people 3-6 levels higher then me are using no matter what build I use then pitting me against them in the majority of my fights is unacceptable.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= March 7th, 2014 - Onward to War
Page 1 of 712345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition