Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: What will the plot be like?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> RE: What will the plot be like?
Page 6 of 7«<34567>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/21/2015 8:41:41   
megakyle777

I'd like to point out AE have NEVER been subtle with their names: Erebus, Sepulchure, The Mysterious Stranger... names are not thier strong point but each of those ones I mentioned are interesting in their respective games.
DF  Post #: 126
12/21/2015 9:40:01   
speedmeteor101

@LyRein

I wouldn't be surprised if Artix himself came up with that name. And I think you're right that he has less room to grow and develop based on the way the name sounds. Grimsbane; it seems to be on the same level of sepulchure: pure, unchanging, evil. I think it would work better if a side-kick or pupil of the main character had an extravagant name like this. I feel that the main should have a more mundane name like some medieval sounding name preceded by Lord or King... Lord ... uh lemme think of some stupid examples.... Lord Grimmor. The reason I'd like a name like that is because it is a more neutral name that can be influenced by his actions. That would make sense for him to call himself grimsbane or something. I'd like to see something like Drakonnan from dragonfable, going from Konan -> struggle in life -> Drakonan. I'd imagine he's once a hero named Grimmor or something then he goes through a family massacre or his best friend or wife or kid is killed something. Then he realizes it is someone else's fault and he sets out to kill in a rage. After he murders a whole bunch of people his inner evil instincts are awakened and he intends to kill everyone remotely related to the killers. Then he hates the world for some other stupid reason. He calls himself grimsbane, and then is constantly going through regrets of the people he killed and reconsidering killing more. Then in the final battle the hero tries to help him and he some how kills himself in a cutscene after being submitted to the power of the hero (and of course the hero would try to stop him). Then his force is disbanded and there are smaller villains who once accompanied him for the player to wipe out. To make the story good maybe some of the former force could become good and some of the remaining evil escape and flee and the rest of the evil are imprisoned. There ya go, a nice grimsbane saga. I'd say it's not good yet, but if you through a couple more plot twists in there it could make a really nice story (like "he's really artix's long lost uncle!!" [JK] but you know what I mean). That is the kinda thing I'd like to see from AE.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 127
12/21/2015 9:48:26   
Silver Sky Magician

Everyone has different tastes. Personally I think some of AE's best villains have just been pure simple evil fun. We don't need every villain to attempt to conquer everything or have a clichéd tragic backstory. Something silly yet serious like 'MOAR SKULLS' Vordred is great once in a while. It's that sort of thing that is AE's signature flavor. What we need is a diversity of villains and characters in general - and 1001 ways to tell a tragic backstory do not make diverse characters.

< Message edited by Silver Sky Magician -- 12/21/2015 9:49:42 >
Post #: 128
12/21/2015 10:35:35   
speedmeteor101

Very true. I agree with you. We just want, perhaps, the main villain of the saga to reaaally be multi-dimensional in character. It's okay to not have have one every other or every two main characters but the deeper characters should have a longer story, I feel, unless the story becomes deeper for someone else (like villain is a joke, but protagonists have more issues within themselves). I think it can still keep AE signature flavor on one side or with a some characters in a saga, whilst still having deeper stories for others. Really, it doesn't have to be the villain who should be deep. It can be anyone (though, it is nice if the villain is deeper). And as long as there is at least a small backstory [bigger than Vaxen's from aqw] it should be fine.

I don't want them to go over the top with every story, but I'm just trying to address the lack of depth and maturity in the stories with most of their other games. I think DragonFable's the closest thing, story-wise, to the diversity AQ3D needs.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 129
12/21/2015 10:56:51   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

Excuse me, but, where, exactly, was it stated that Grimsbane is intended to be AQ3D's main villain?
DF AQW  Post #: 130
12/21/2015 11:15:41   
LyRein

@Silver Sky

Artix said AQ3D will be more mature and for older audiences in terms of story (like DF).
Grimsbane sounds like a "I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME HERO"
that does not fit a mature story.
seriously if you want a good villain you know nothing about them, only tell through legends or old tales
cause it makes the villain, whether it be a masked man or force of nature, scary fearful and feel powerful.

i do agree about the tragic backstory part though

part of the reason i like game of thrones so much is that the Others are they are heartless, they raise the dead and they place bodies in alien-like formations for otherwordly purposes.

we don't need to know any tragic backstory as they are not human.
we already know they are the villain even though GRRM does not explain anything about them.

@David

taken from kickstarter page

quote:

▼ THE GUARDIANS OF LORE

The Guardians are an order of highly trained dragon knights tasked with keeping peace across the world. You will find Guardian Towers across the land. Each tower was placed to protect a different powerful & ancient artifact. What these artifacts are is now a mystery... knowledge lost 100 years ago when the order was wiped out by the Grimsbane's shadow creatures.

< Message edited by LyRein -- 12/21/2015 11:21:47 >
Post #: 131
12/21/2015 13:49:23   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

So, an ancient evil from a century ago, of which we know nothing and might not even be still alive, or not even be a single person (that article is quite suspicious, after all). How did we get from that to "The game's main villain"?
DF AQW  Post #: 132
12/21/2015 14:25:57   
LyRein

@above

He was mentioned to be the villain in the old AQ3D

If he no longer plays a part in the story, why even bother mentioning him in the kickstarter page like that, as if he could come back?

I'm pretty sure they're sticking with their plans, especially after you keep it for 4 years.
Post #: 133
12/21/2015 15:17:45   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

It's still a big assumption. Even in Legends of Lore, he might only have had a relatively small part to play, or serve as an introductory villain. Plus, he/she/it/them might still play a part in the story even if he isn't still alive; since it was his shadow creatures that wiped out the Guardians, it's obvious he was a powerful threat whose actions might still have repercussions on the world.
DF AQW  Post #: 134
12/21/2015 17:31:15   
speedmeteor101

Very true. We are only using the current knowledge we have as there isn't much to work with. We do know:

1. Vaxen may return

2. Carnax May Return

3. Artix once said in 2013 that the main villain is grimsbane (one of many, many references but probably most significant)

http://www.artix.com/designNotes/post/3414/AQ3D---Legend-of-LORE http://www.artix.com/designNotes/post/2650/adventurequest-3d-needs-a-name

What this means:

1. They would need to give big boy, here, a better story

2. This would have to come waaay in the future and the world, functionality, concepts for carnax himself, and general systems (for maps and such) must be pretty organised, first.

1/2. Vaxen and Carnax may or may not (as well as this grimsbane) come and Cysero, a couple of days ago, said these were just things some devs were thinking about and are no where near confirmed. Same applies for point 3, below.

3. Grimsbane has been periodically mentioned over these 4 years, which leads us to conclude that his plans haven't changed much. Also, you may notice that I keep bringing up Dragonfable and AQ3D's possible parallelism with art, story (?), and general feel [or possibly general feel if aqw contaminates this]. At least in the old aq3d DragonFable was the role model as a 3d and multiplayer version of it would be purely amazing.
Now, obviously, much has changed and is subject to change; especially based on mobile and other [soft and hard]ware limitations. We never knew anything of the story except of Grimsbane so, as of right now, it seems safe to assume that hasn't. As far as the perfect DF feel goes, the art/graphics and to take a step down engine-wise and now that is sort of in it's hazy own world; it is the newest AE style made for low-end 3d (meaning the art has to compensate for missing or lowered parts of the engine such as shading, overdraw, etc.).
Hoping that AE's intentions are still for "as DragonFable as possible" we can only hope that they can make cutscenes like/as well as the did in DragonFable, and the plot should be no problem.
The general feel is very dependent on how many changes this goes through. I like how it is kinda going so far because it is developing its own rather than biting off another game's feel, though I do feel that DF's was best. The UI has a lot of room and obviously isn't final, but things like the limited combat system and the current UI make it feel more like aqw. See look at this:

AQ3D- UI: Oldest
Second Oldest
newest
Potential Newest combat / no combat

DragonFable vs AQW UI:
DF- Out of Combat
In combat

AQW- UI [all same]

Now look at all these and study how much each feels like AQW or DF and then with the art thrown in, decide how it really feels. [The less DF like general feel makes me scared that the more detailed parts other elements (including the story) may be less DF like :( thus, less beautiful, relatable, and whatever else...
Though, I still would like to give AE credit for the skills they did make though, because Korin made niice animations for everything and we do know (from artix) that these are based off of DF. So yeah. AQ3D has a lot of different ways it can go. We have a good idea of the art and general feel right now: good and unique, but not as great as DF (Blame the Phones). The Story though, has literally no information on it other than Grimsbane which leads us to suspect it will be a (hopefully) pretty well written story, like those in DF especially, and It will feature a villain named Grimsbane who controls some sort of shadow creatures. That's what we have and all we can assume.

[hl]

after the update, my faith was restored. They changed some things and it feels a bit more like DF :) I think the Devs heard me in the suggestions too

< Message edited by speedmeteor101 -- 12/21/2015 22:40:32 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 135
12/21/2015 22:53:52   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

@LyRein/speedmeteor: It seems our feelings on the constitution of complex characters are fundamentally different, so we will have to agree to disagree here. We are unlikely to change any minds on either side of the conversation. That being said, I hope there is a way for recurring characters to be written that will appeal to everyone, players new and old. We can probably agree on that, at the very least.

@SSM: Wholeheartedly agree with that point on tragic backstories. There are always other methods to adding depth to a character, like their interactions with (And influence on) other characters -- or even how the world resonates with them. To bring up Avatar again for the sake of example, Fire Lord Ozai felt surprisingly deep in spite of his very flagrantly irredeemable personality.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 136
12/22/2015 9:06:27   
LyRein

@above

I was only using a becoming-nice Drakath as an example of character development.
What I really wanted to say was AE should develop characters, as if they were the characters themselves.

I think a nice way of doing this would be double perspective in the story.
One, ours the Hero, lala land go on an epic quest and kill a dragon, get the damsel in distress etc.
One, Drakath's, behind the scenes, the darker part of the story.

This way, you can get to know Drakath on the personal level, love him or hate him, his character develops, but his view will always be the opposite of the Hero.

For Example:

The Hero will see everyone have unlimited forgiveness, everyone can be good in the heart etc (though he/she will have to decide what true evil is)

Drakath will see everyone have the chance for forgiveness, but maybe someone takes advantage of this and tries to kill him from behind, after this his view changes to everyone has to earn the chance for forgiveness.

Basically, the Hero will be our reactions and decisions, we will see the world in black-and-white (hopefully NO but AE cannot resist the urge to have a white written King and Hero).

Drakath will be our rival' reactions and decisions, he will see the world in gray, dark or light.

He can still be an antagonist this way, but we will see the world from the rival antagonist's view which IMO is fine as he's not the true end boss.

Since your opinion is AQW Drakath is post-DF, this one can be post-AQW, who after the finale says he will no longer side with anyone or be someones puppet. He will be his own guy.
Post #: 137
12/22/2015 11:43:15   
Rezilia

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Artix himself came up with that name.

He most likely did.

quote:

Grimsbane; it seems to be on the same level of sepulchure: pure, unchanging, evil.

Lady Grimsbane, decorated Grandmistress Paladin and mentor of Artix in the ways of controlling spirit power, has been missing for the past seven months. Sources indicate that she was leading a mission deep into the underground caverns of Doomwood in pursuit of an ancient lich, one that has evaded her since her youth. Artix has asked for your help in tracking the search party down and finding his senior.

^ Successful Backstory ^
DF AQW  Post #: 138
12/22/2015 12:10:49   
LyRein

@above

Two problems

Lady Celestia fills that role
Liches are generally weak after a certain point in the story.

Hopefully AE makes Dage important to the story.
He's like Lich King Arthas mixed with Voldemort with the eeriness of the Night's King.

Post #: 139
12/22/2015 17:02:35   
speedmeteor101

tbh "lady grimsbane" sounds like an evil lunatic queen who just so happens to be fancy. Evil, yet neat.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 140
12/22/2015 18:39:08   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

@LyRein: I disagree. Liches are, essentially, undead mages: their strength and power depends on their magical prowess, not the fact they're liches.
DF AQW  Post #: 141
12/22/2015 20:59:07   
LyRein

@above

quote:

in the story.
Post #: 142
12/23/2015 7:51:13   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

@LyRein: I meant from a story perspective as well. A lich can be the first villain you face, or the Big Bad Behind Everything that you must fight at the end of the story. Being a lich doesn't put an arbitrary and universal limit on how strong a character can be.
DF AQW  Post #: 143
12/23/2015 12:15:22   
LyRein

@above

talking about AE.
i can't recall any major liches
Post #: 144
12/23/2015 12:55:33   
David the Wanderer
Legendary AK!

@LyRein: Sek-Duat, Noxus, the Necrotic Generals from the Final 13th War, WarLich... Lots of stuff. Plus, just because AE hasn't had any Big Bad Lich so far doesn't means it can't happen in AQ3D.
DF AQW  Post #: 145
12/23/2015 14:05:47   
LyRein

@above

I think a Big Bad Lich would only be good if it was executed properly.

I don't think a skeleton called Grimsbane being a typical evil mustache twirling villain would work

I think someone like Dage, that you don't know anything about would work.
Post #: 146
12/25/2015 2:02:20   
Darkonus

Each game to date has introduced many new villains. I am sure AQ3D will be no exception. After playing most of the newest update I think there are bigger issues with the plot than what villain we'll be fighting. The structure of the zones and the intent of the design to make the game accessible to play in "small doses" for mobile seems to be having a negative effect on the game's structure. The "quest chains" in place currently, granted this is alpha, have all been *kill the same two monsters 50 times*, interrupted by *search for 5 spots to click on* every once in a while. I am less concerned with what/who we will be fighting and more concerned that the game's lack of diverse mechanics will lead to kill/fetch quests and no variety whatsoever.

Anyway, I truly do have very high hopes for aq3d. I know that it is still very early on and there is a long way to go. A lot will change between now and release.

TL;DR: If the game is going to have a good plot or even good quests it needs more game mechanics.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 147
12/25/2015 9:56:40   
LyRein

@above

that's why we have the suggestion thread silly!

Though I do agree with you, that's what i've been saying ever since the game came out.

TIMELINE OF MY SADNESS

"I think you should focus on gameplay" > "If the gameplay was more focused on the game and the NPCs would be much more noticeable as-well" > "Oh great... are we going to update gameplay soon though?" <fanboys shouting IT'S ONLY ALPHA even though most games at alpha look better than this> "You guys aren't really going to improve the gameplay are you?"
Post #: 148
1/7/2016 17:20:34   
neutral22

What will the plot be like? I can answer that...

EPIC
AQ  Post #: 149
1/7/2016 17:23:53   
LyRein

@above

fanboying and nostalgia are two very bad things to have.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> RE: What will the plot be like?
Page 6 of 7«<34567>»
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition