Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: When Heroes Fail - OOC

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RP OOC >> RE: When Heroes Fail - OOC
Page 2 of 9«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/4/2016 22:53:22   
Caststarter

...You know, I knew SOMEONE would react to my avvy but not in that way. But a swordbreaker is not exactly a main gauche. Yes, it is a defensive dagger. However, the difference is that there are, how should I put this... "teeth" to catch the blade itself forcing a lock. Though it does make me wonder what a cross-section-sword-club-thing would look like now. Though your character is interesting as well so I am looking forward for to you as well. Thank you, by the way...
DF  Post #: 26
1/4/2016 23:03:11   
Remaint

Gotcha (I know Marisa's is small, but this looks too cool(bloody weird) to not share)

Cold Steel reproduction "Sword Breaker"

< Message edited by Remaint -- 1/4/2016 23:05:45 >
AQW  Post #: 27
1/4/2016 23:09:57   
Draycos777

quote:

it is not so much that assassins are right out as the fact that your character is written in a way that implies a guild or clan organized in such a way as to be a strong factor in Palora's political landscape. A contract killer would be acceptable, but they would have to be a lone operator.

Oh, I see, if this was the impression that you got them I sorry, it wasn't meant to be like that at all tho. The clan is quite small and there would be only a few left during this time.

I'm still feeling the spider theme tho so I think I'll stick with that for my next bio.

AQ  Post #: 28
1/4/2016 23:52:44   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Apoc, Hendrick is accepted with your clarifications; thank you.

Caststarter, I have to call it a night, but I'll dig into your application tomorrow.

Draycos, if you'd like to try and rewrite you have that option. Otherwise I await your next submission.

As a general note, Ryu Viranesh has informed me he'll most likely be submitting an application tomorrow.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 29
1/5/2016 16:27:00   
Bastet

Hello again. I attemped fixing Nilch'i and giving her a story, so I hope it's ok with you Kell. Feel free to push me back again if there are any issues. I edited the mind control and telepathy out and made telekinesis her only active trick (with a bump in power that could be cancelled if you'd like me to), with an emotional aura on the side that gives her no particular advantages.

Name: Nilch’i

Race: Human

Appearance: Nilch’i is rarely seen without her usual apparel, which consists of a hooded black leather coat with deep pockets and a deep-blue half-mask with no apparent features other than two slits that allow her to see through it. The mask ends just above her nostrils, allowing her to breathe through her nose with no obstructions and leaving facial features below it uncovered. Under all the layers that Nilch’i puts between herself and the real world, she appears as a fairly lithe girl with pale skin and messy, dark red waist length hair. Some of her unkempt hair pokes out of the front of her hood, though she prefers to hide it when she can: it is mostly due to the fact that it would be an annoyance to constantly keep it in check. Boots and gloves the same material and colour as her coat cover the rest of her features. While she isn’t particularly tall, she definitely isn’t too short, standing at 5’4.

Nilch’i rarely removes any clothing that would expose her to the outside world, therefore allowing most external observers to only pick up her hair and skin colour. Her voice is delicate, but rarely sweetens into compliments or other such examples of friendly conversation: harsh words and stern observations are the only thoughts she allows to leave her mouth, if she talks at all. Her half-mask is tied to the back of her head through a firm lace, knotted in such a careful way that it is impossible for it to fall off by accident. Six sheathes for throwing daggers appear on the outside of her coat, in the chest area, each containing an example of such weapons. A curious fact, however, is that none of these blades have handles, or anything that might let someone grasp them safely: these are merely shards of sharp metal, threatening to cut on any edge they are approached from.

Personality: A person of few words, molded by her past and abilities into somewhat of an outcast that, much for the same reason, is forced against her will to spend most of her time in a city she feels she doesn’t belong in. Nilch’i knows she wouldn’t survive well by herself in the wilderness, and makes no attempt to, rather living through theft, charities and simple work.

Living this way, after she managed to free herself, she grew up seeing others as little more than tools to further her own purposes. Deprived of the affection or care granted to those who were raised in normal familiar nuclei, she treats others much the same way she was treated while her abilities were still developing. The fact that she was left to find a place for herself in the world meant that she had no shoulders to cry on when she needed to, where the only support she had was her own. Her history leaves her as knowing little of standard etiquette or even the normal gestures that are used in the various sides of regular social life, besides what little she learned while spending her time making a living in Palora. Afraid to open up on one side and bearing a great hate on the other, to those who incur her wrath she’d come across as nigh-sadistic, finding satisfaction in inflicting torment on those who give her a reason to.

Abilities: Nilch’i is able to move objects around her with sheer force of thought. The speed at which an object can be thrown depends on its mass, and so does the range at which it can be done. As a rule of thumb, this ability is limited to the point that only small objects can be pushed at a speed at which they have any hope of damaging other beings. Also, objects that are heavier than one-and-a-half times Nilch’i’s weight, which would be about 75 kilograms, can’t be moved at all. To use this ability, Nilch’i has to maintain eye contact with the targeted object, though one that is already in motion obviously stays in motion. This ability has a myriad of uses, from utilitarian ones to serving both as her offense and defense during combat.

The next important fact is that Nilch’i’s mask doubles as an object that dampens the full potential of her telekinesis. Without it, she is able to even lift heavy objects or hurl people off their feet and send them flying a few yards, but she loses every control over its precision. She may be able to give the attack a vague sense of direction, but nothing more than that. It also leaves her exhausted whenever she makes use of this extra power, and stops her from using telekinesis at all for a day or more depending on usage.

Another trait she possesses is that she is particularly empathic, and easily influenced by the emotions of those around her. A cheery atmosphere inside a tavern might bring her to be a bit more talkative, while spending time close to someone who harbors great hate towards others would amplify her own. Since acquiring the mark, unfortunate events began happening to those around her, as if she carried an aura of bad luck. Nilch’i herself, however, is not aware of these abilities.

Nilch'i's physical condition isn't particularly impressive: possessing a lithe figure, she would never hold a candle in any kind of melee with someone stronger than a child. This is why she always avoids direct confrontation, working behind the backs of others or attacking from a distance.

History & Broken Oath: Not much is known about Nilch’i’s early years, and she couldn’t tell you much herself if she wanted to. Her earliest memory brings her back to the cell where she spent most of her life, being experimented upon by some cult she has only hazy memories of. Her days were simple cycles of being allowed to sleep a few hours, only being fed minimal amounts of food when she completed tests that pushed her telekinetic abilities further and further. She wasn’t allowed to pursue her own interests, the only distraction she was provided with being some kind of chanting that she occasionally heard. Never knowing what the incomprehensible words in the distance meant, she didn’t think much of it, especially after being subjected to it for so long that she stopped paying attention to it.

She had no memories of being anywhere else than the facility she lived in, being able to observe the outside only when she was taken through certain parts of the building. Nilch’i only knew her name because it was hung on a plaque outside her prison, but she had never seen anybody that wasn’t dressed in the same black robe that she herself wore. The mask she constantly wears was forced on her when she utterly lost control of her abilities during an event she barely holds any memory of, waking days later to find it tied to her with a knot that she had no hope of being able to untie herself. A man stood in front of her, explaining what it was for and threatening punishment should she ever remove it. The girl didn’t think much of it, taking it as one order like the others, but she remained as clueless as the day she was born as to why she had the abilities that made her interesting to those who took care of her.

Then, one day, she sat expecting her usual routine of being tossed around between various people who wanted to see how her abilities would fare against certain obstacles, but nobody came. The chanting in the background was silent. Nilch’i waited an amount of time that could’ve well just been a few minutes, but it felt like an eternity in a place where measuring time was impossible. Eventually, she took advantage of her telekinesis to open the rusty door that separated her from one of the many hallways of the building, and adventured alone into rooms that she had only walked when accompanied by the robed figures.

As she walked, she eventually began finding corpses. Brutally mangled corpses. She didn’t think much of it, besides gaining a tendency to jump every time she heard a noise, rather distracted by the thought that she might’ve found a way to the outside world. The corpses never stopped appearing, rather increasing in number the closer she got to the exit she eventually discovered. Nilch’i remembers little of the rooms she passed, because she was so focused on finding a way out. Eventually, a door led her to a rather anonymous exit in the side of a peripherical building to a settlement she would come to know as Palora.

Many years later, Nilch’i had become used to living in the city that eventually became her home: most of her resources went to granting herself a meal and a warm bed, taking advantage of any charitable operations around town. In the souther part of the town, she became somewhat known by tavern keepers as a frequent visitor: not for alcohol, but for work that would allow her to continue living as comfortably as she could for another day. She wasn’t immediately trusted because of her attire, but she spent years building helpful relationships with those who were willing to give her a chance.

One day, she found herself travelling to a small temple close to the Ram’s gate. She was curious to understand the religions of those around her, because she was never allowed to gather any knowledge about them. This meant that she generally regarded gods as being little more than superstition, mostly becauswe such culture was entirely left out of her upbringing. She had previously visited the location because of the help the green-robed ones would hand out with little discrimination, but never with the intent of learning more about the spiritual words that many of the denizens of Palora were so invested in. Observing from a corner of the building, she found a rather small amount of people in it, and they were mostly located close to a central altar from which one of the priests seemed to be dispensing blessings to the faithful. Not thinking much of it, she waited until she would be alone with the holy man before making her move and approaching him.

That was the day her life changed, because she immediately recognized the voice of the man who faked ignorance when he saw her wearing the robes he had once worn himself. The two stared at each other for a very brief moment before a frown appeared on Nilch’i’s forehead: it was the man who had been in her cell so many times before; the same one who explained to her what the mask she still donned was for. She felt no anger, but it wasn’t long before she hurled a blade at him without even raising a hand. Murdered in cold blood, though Nilch’i herself didn’t think much of it. What forced her to face the consequences of her actions, however, is the strange mark that appeared on her left hand as she leaved the building before someone could uncover the murder. She had broken the oath of sanctity that is accepted by those who entered religious buildings, violating one of the most central rules of such safe havens. She still didn’t think much of it, or understand why it happened, but all those she knews quickly began refusing to even speak with her. Considering that her comfort of life depended on the favors of others, she “borrowed” a set of gloves and moved away from those who had already observed the mark. Being unable to ask about it left her in a hard spot, but she attempted her own research as best as she could, even occasionally venturing into the Northern quarter in her pursuit for knowledge.
Post #: 30
1/5/2016 20:30:22   
Draycos777

Of course I have no intention of breaking said infestation:P

Name: Selene
Alias: Black Recluse(more commonly known), Arachnid 

Appearance:

A true blue-blood witch, Selene looks like she came straight out of a fairy tail. Her clothes consist of a black long-sleeved cloth top and a black skirt bottom. The sleeves look detachable, though they aren't, and have small triangles going around the edge of the opening, while red lines criss cross the sleeve in the pattern of a web. The bottom of the skirt ends just past her knees and the last few inches of the skirt end in elongated triangles. In the middle of each triangle is a red or white circle.

For shoes, Selene wears ankle-high dark purple boots that leave the top section of the tongue untied while the bottom end is tied tight keeping the shoe from becoming loose and falling off her foot.

On the top of her head, which boost shoulder-length silver hair and black eyes, is a large witch's hat that has three small pouches tied to the left and right sides. Selene is 5'5.

Gear: For battlegear, Selene has many vials that are held within the pouches, tied to her hat, that contain poisons. She uses these vials along with her magic to make clouds of poison.

Other than that, the only other piece of gear is the rather large broomstick she is always carrying with her. Said to be an ancient treasure of some long-gone wind witch, Selene uses the broomstick as a staff and as a beast of burden, though it is more the latter than the former. Attached to the front and backsides of the broom are two large pouches that she keeps everything else she might need.

The broom has an old spell cast on it. So, while she can't fly, per-say, she can hover when she puts some of her magic into it. So she can easily use it as a rest when her feet get tired or when she just doesn't feel like walking. Although, this does happen to get stares and it gets hard to turn properly when it's crowded due to the broom being a good seven feet, so she tends to walk when in the city or other highly populated areas.

Abilities: Selene's magic is interesting as it isn't like a normal witch's. Where one would normally find curses or elemental mastery, Selene's magic is based around the abilities of spiders.

Charlotte's web: passive- Selene uses her magic to spin a magical spider's web that she can control. Selene's magic empowers the web's natural stickiness and strength and the largest web is can spin at once is about 25meters. Webs spun also don't have to take on the traditional web shape.

Arachnid affinity: passive- Selene is constantly followed by spiders and has some level of understanding with them. She can tell if they are happy, sad, angry, scared, ect. Also has tendencies to act like a spider, such as, seeing a corner as a comfortable place to rest, hanging upside down and using her webs to see through vibrations.

Web master: passive- Selene can move about freely within her webs and even feels at home hanging upside down on one for long periods of time. Now if only she could find a way to keep her hat from falling off her head like that without having to get spider silk in her hair.

Poison craft: passive- Self explaining.

Silk maker: passive- Self explaining.

Gas cloud: aggressive- Selene uses one of her poison vials to create a toxic cloud. The cloud will either be a necrotic type, a paralytic type or a hallucinogenic. Selene can tell which by the color of the liquid inside the vial and by the smell. The gas cloud only last for a short time before it fades. The necrotic and hallucinogenic work by breathing it in, while the paralytic works by contact of bare skin.

Silk shot: aggressive- As the name suggests, Selene fires a sticky glob of spider's silk. Careful when stepping if this is used, even if it misses one can still get trapped if they step on it.

Arachnophobia: aggressive/toggle- Selene releases pheromones that slowly fill those around her with dread, hopefully making them less likely to attack her. Also makes nearby spiders more aggressive.

Oath:  Since it wasn't specifically said that this was the history of the char, I'll leave that to the IC for the others to find out and just right the broken oath part.

Selene's oath was to never kill a living person with her magic and for years she kept that promise. That all changed in a flash one day. The day started off normally, with Selene sitting behind the desk of her silks and herbal shop when he showed up. A known magic hater, Selene assumed that he was simply going to bothered her and then break some stuff when she didn't give him any ground, much like he always did. However, this time he took a much more physical approach. As he was about to leave, he acted much like he always did, shouting and cursing at the girl, but, instead of breaking something, the man pulled out a knife, turned and charged at Selene. Out of mild surprise and automatic reflex, Selene fired a bolt of sticky silk at the man, causing him to fall over and land on-top of a shelf. Of course this wasn't the problem. The cause of the man's death was the contents of the glass he shattered; a pair of six-eyed sand spiders. Unconsciously Selene had toggled Arachnophobia causing the already startled spiders to go into a frenzy, biting the man constantly upon the neck and face. It wasn't long before the man died from hemorrhaging due to toxic injection.

Just like that, Selene's magic, without a word uttered or even an intent to, broke the oath she had held for so long. She was soon branded a murder and ran out of her shop. Was this the man's plan from the start or just a lucky happenstance for him? She never knew and anger burned inside of her everytime she though of it. It's not like she ever cared for any of her costumers, but she had been there long enough for them to know that she wasn't a killer. With her magic restricting her from wearing gloves, Selene wandered outside of the city, where her mark didn't matter, from place to place selling silks and poisons to make money. Finding that life outside the city was much harder and much darker. She also learned that from that darkness comes a type of people that are willing to trade with someone cursed like her to meet there own ends. During these travels, her poisons and odd magic gave her the nickname Black Recluse, a name she had come to accept.

Personality: Quiet, aloof and uncaring. The only room in her heart, it would seem, is for herself, her magic, and her spiders.

< Message edited by Draycos777 -- 1/5/2016 20:32:13 >
AQ  Post #: 31
1/5/2016 21:04:58   
Remaint

Selene: Prepare for a witching!

Seiserna: It’ll certainly get you bytching!

Selene: To spread discord throughout every nation!

Seiserna: To liberate the world from divine domination!

Selene: To protect all spiders and reverse the unfair orders!

Seiserna: To persevere through time and shatter all borders!

Selene: Selene!

Seiserna: Seiserna!

Selene: The Twin Witches soar to the highest heights!

Seiserna: Accept your fate, or face our mights!

Talking Spider: Squeak squeak, be in frights!

< Message edited by Remaint -- 1/5/2016 21:25:16 >
AQW  Post #: 32
1/5/2016 21:30:08   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Caststarter, everything appears to be in order here. I'll add Marisa to the list.

Bastet, I would argue 5'4" is pretty short, but let's not split the hair too finely.

I am afraid, however, that I must decline this application again. The edits are good, but there are some issues that remain. I want to address my hesitancy regarding Nilch'i's background first.

I can understand what you're going for here, but it seems to me a like Nilch'i doesn't want to be saved. Yes, she is Blighted, but that doesn't mean anything to her. While Palorans would shun her, she is already anti-social. She operates on the margins of society, perhaps not totally by choice, but because of a total lack of familiarity with societal norms. Nilch'i was never part of society, and thus her estrangement from it means very little. She has never had anything but the clothes on her back, and thus there seems to be nothing for her to fight for. I get the impression that Blighted or not, Nilch'i's existence would change very little.

Second, the Oath: While Nilch'i's actions are regrettable, they do not meet the requirements inherent in the Oath itself. Taking the Oath the decision of a rational and committed mind. You must choose to take the Oath. There are no implied or inherent Oaths. In much the same fashion, the oath-bound much choose to break the Oath. Leeway is not permitted for bad choices or hopeless situations; if you break the Oath, you do so knowingly, even if breaking the Oath was your only means of surviving. The Oath does not have degrees, it is a simple yes or no. You say, "I will do X," and then you do it or you do not. The main thrust here is that the Oath is, in fact, a spoken contract. It must be known and understood. Someone who is insane could not take the Oath any more than a child could, or someone speaking in jest (In fact, "swear to Baan" is an oft-misused and abused phrase to indicate the speaker is serious, though it is more often used in jest now).

I like the change you made regarding the empathic reception. It is interesting, and can work in both directions, allowing Nilch'i to get an idea of how other characters might be feeling without being overpowering like telepathy.

A final note: I'm still a little iffy on the wardrobe choice. Given what the Blight is, Palorans tend to look askance and people who conceal their identities. Going around wearing a hood is one thing, but being masked means you have something to hide.

If you want to try another rewrite, be my guest. There is still the option of an alternate character though.

Draycos, I am honestly a little sick of short female characters just the now. I am intending to run a very serious game. I can appreciate the humor in another setting, but deliberate lampshading does not amuse me.

I am going to take some heat for this after stating the above, but I cannot accept Selene. This decision is not based upon the gender and stature of the character, but upon her Oath. For reasons outlined above regarding Nilch'i, Selene's Oath is not acceptable. I apologize, because I see now that I was not clear about the Oath in my initial write-up. I will edit the details into my second post for future reference.

As a matter aside, the abilities laid out here are fine with me. I do have some issue with the vials. My main issue is that I don't know how many vials we're talking about in total or how large the area of effect for a single vial is. I also have to wonder what the vials are made of and how they are packed. If we're talking about glass vials you run into one of two issues: either the vials are thin enough to shatter when thrown against a hard surface and thus must be packed carefully to ensure they do not break while stored in Selene's various pouches, or they are thick enough for resilience and must be poured out or magically spread which is a much slower process. Additionally, how much control does Selene have over the gas cloud after it is unleashed? Is it then subject to prevailing winds, or can she hold it in place against natural dissipation for a period of time?

If you would like to rework Selene's Oath, provide some clarification on the vials, and resubmit, please do so. Otherwise, I will accept an alternate submission.

Remaint, please refrain from the use of profanity, even self-censored. While some such utterances are allowable within the RP IC context (when used carefully and sparingly), they have no place in the OOC.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 33
1/5/2016 21:41:55   
Remaint

-Hangs head-

Yes, sir.

It's just...I was just itching to put that particular cursing in regards to witching. I don't mean to be missing the reasonable policing....yeah, I'll stop.
AQW  Post #: 34
1/5/2016 21:50:46   
Apocalypse

Not just short females but females in general. Hendrik is the only dude so far (not that he would be complaining).
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 35
1/5/2016 22:04:56   
Vanir

Here's a dude!
Name: Flannagon the Blind, sometimes known as Flagon

Appearance and Gear:
Were he cleaner and without injury, Flannagon would appear to be a strong 40 year old man, but his grime and burns give him an older, decrepit look. His hair is a ragged patchwork of dark brown and grey splotches, cut with a dull razor and a shaking hand. His face from the base of his neck to his forehead are covered with burn scars. His eyes are sunken, desolate, glossy, and without color, but they are always moving. His entire head, except around his eyes, is wrapped in linen bandages which have become stained with blood, pus, oil, and mud.

His chest and back are also afflicted with burn scars, though less severely than his face. There are some bandages wrapping around his upper torso to cover the burns. The skin that is exposed is pale and sickly. His entire left arm is wrapped tightly in bandages. The fingers of his left hand are wound together by a mitten of bandages. His build is generally muscular, except for his left leg which is slightly shorter than his right. He walks with a limp, which has caused a slight arch in his back making him stand below his normal height of six feet.

His trousers and tunic are ragged and muddy. They are in need of repair and feature holes and tears. Flannagon is accepting donations.

He carries a rucksack on his shoulders which has been patched and repaired much better than his clothing. Inside are a few bare necessities and his only possessions. Namely, a little pouch for storage of a few choice pieces of copper he’s picked up on the streets, a waterskin which may sometimes be used for other liquids, a frazzled blanket for the cold nights, emergency bandages, a small scrap of bread wrapped in emergency bandages, and an oddly ornate dagger which was probably stolen.

His final item is a knotted shepherd’s crook about as tall as he is which supports his weight while walking and also makes a great bludgeon.

Abilities:
His greatest asset and worst curse is that he looks like a leper! Few people try to rough him up, although city guards have a habit of preventing him access to most of the city. Those that have tried to rob him are taken by surprise by the agility with which he wields his staff. If given the opportunity to take the dagger out of his bag, the crook is a great tool for forcing assailants off their feet and into stabbing proximity. His primary fighting style is focused on keeping enemies’ weapons away from him until he has the opportunity to disarm them or knock them down. He does everything he can to stand his ground; his limp makes mobile battles extremely challenging.

The Sight: Flannagon is blind. Under normal circumstances his eyes do not function. He employs a magical technique to bypass his disability. The Sight grants him unimpaired vision in both darkness and light. If another experienced his vision, they would see a monochromatic world covered with a wispy blue filter. And light would always appear to originate from the viewer’s eyes, casting a spotlight on the landscape around him. The viewer also experiences slight flickering as if a torch is being held up behind one’s own eyes. Flannagon can sustain The Sight for several hours before developing a headache and needing to rest. Another unique ability of the The Sight is with the addition of an incantation, Flannagon can see through objects immediately blocking the thing he wishes to see. This extension of his sight can only be sustained for mere seconds, just long enough to get a glimpse. If he overexerts his eyes they become bloodshot, painful, and swollen and his blind resting time is increased.

Purification: A fire cloak spell. After a brief incantation his body is surrounded by intense flame for thirty seconds. His body and articles are immune to the magical flames.

Firebolt: After a brief incantation, a ball of fire is launched from either Flannagon’s hand or his staff. It is a low damage magical bolt, but the projectile is launched with accuracy.

Hot Iron: He is able to channel magical fire through his dagger to make any stabs and cuts also burn.

Reborn in Ash: Defensive passive ability. Flannagon’s body is extremely resistant to damage from heat and flame. His body is characterized by an unusually warm temperature and exhibits a strong resistance to infection and disease. Although he does not smoke, he is often coughing and sometimes wisps of smoke trickle out with his breath.

History and Broken Oath:
That is restricted to Kell’s eyes only for the time being. Being sent in a PM.

Edit: Removed "plasma" from list of bandage stains. Lowered active time of Purification to 30 seconds.

< Message edited by Vanir -- 1/6/2016 23:14:33 >
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 36
1/5/2016 22:30:01   
Remaint

Not trying to disprove anything this time, but a quick search nets 5'5'' being the average female height in America, and 5'10'' being the male's average. If we assume WHF takes place in an age resembling Renaissance Europe, these figures could probably be optimistic, which puts 5'4'' in the category of 'not short' for females. Unless, the world which Palora exists in possesses lower than Earthly gravity.

Simple food for thought.

< Message edited by Remaint -- 1/5/2016 22:31:55 >
AQW  Post #: 37
1/5/2016 22:39:27   
Draycos777

Name: Selene
Alias: Black Recluse(more commonly known), Arachnid

Appearance:

A true blue-blood witch, Selene looks like she came straight out of a fairy tail. Her clothes consist of a black long-sleeved cloth top and a black skirt bottom. The sleeves look detachable, though they aren't, and have small triangles going around the edge of the opening, while red lines criss cross the sleeve in the pattern of a web. The bottom of the skirt ends just past her knees and the last few inches of the skirt end in elongated triangles. In the middle of each triangle is a red or white circle.

For shoes, Selene wears ankle-high dark purple boots that leave the top section of the tongue untied while the bottom end is tied tight keeping the shoe from becoming loose and falling off her foot.

On the top of her head, which boost shoulder-length silver hair and black eyes, is a large witch's hat that has three small pouches tied to the left and right sides. Selene is 5'5.

Gear: For battlegear, Selene carries fourteen vials that are held within the pouches, tied to her hat, that contain poisons. She uses these vials along with her magic to make clouds of poison.

Other than that, the only other piece of gear is the rather large broomstick she is always carrying with her. Said to be an ancient treasure of some long-gone wind witch, Selene uses the broomstick as a staff and as a beast of burden, though it is more the latter than the former. Attached to the front and backsides of the broom are two large pouches that she keeps everything else she might need.

The broom has an old spell cast on it. So, while she can't fly, per-say, she can hover when she puts some of her magic into it. So she can easily use it as a rest when her feet get tired or when she just doesn't feel like walking. Although, this does happen to get stares and it gets hard to turn properly when it's crowded due to the broom being a good seven feet, so she tends to walk when in the city or other highly populated areas.

Abilities: Selene's magic is interesting as it isn't like a normal witch's. Where one would normally find curses or elemental mastery, Selene's magic is based around the abilities of spiders.

Charlotte's web: passive- Selene uses her magic to spin a magical spider's web that she can control. Selene's magic empowers the web's natural stickiness and strength and the largest web she can spin at once is about 25meters. Webs spun also don't have to take on the traditional web shape.

Arachnid affinity: passive- Selene is constantly followed by spiders and has some level of understanding with them. She can tell if they are happy, sad, angry, scared, ect. Also has tendencies to act like a spider, such as, seeing a corner as a comfortable place to rest, hanging upside down and using her webs to see through vibrations.

Web master: passive- Selene can move about freely within her webs and even feels at home hanging upside down on one for long periods of time. Now if only she could find a way to keep her hat from falling off her head like that without having to get spider silk in her hair.

Poison craft: passive- Self explaining.

Silk maker: passive- Self explaining.

Gas cloud: aggressive- Selene uses one of her poison vials to create a toxic cloud. The cloud will either be a necrotic type, a paralytic type or a hallucinogenic. Selene can tell which by the color of the liquid inside the vial and by the smell. The gas cloud only last for a short time before it fades. The necrotic and hallucinogenic work by breathing it in, while the paralytic works by contact of bare skin.

Silk shot: aggressive- As the name suggests, Selene fires a sticky glob of spider's silk. Careful when stepping if this is used, even if it misses one can still get trapped if they step on it.

Arachnophobia: aggressive/toggle- Selene releases pheromones that slowly fill those around her with dread, hopefully making them less likely to attack her. Also makes nearby spiders more aggressive.

Oath:
Since it wasn't specifically said that this was the history of the char, I'll leave that to the IC for the others to find out and just right the broken oath part.

Selene's oath was to never kill a living person with her magic, most commercial magic users take such a vow if they want to get anywhere within social standing and for years she kept that promise. That all changed in a flash one day. The day started off normally, with Selene sitting behind the desk of her silks and herbal shop when he showed up. A known magic hater, Selene assumed that he was simply going to bothered her and then break some stuff when she didn't give him any ground, much like he always did. However, this time he took a much more physical approach. As he was about to leave, he acted much like he always did, shouting and cursing at the girl, but, instead of breaking something, the man pulled out a knife, turned and charged at Selene. Out of mild surprise and automatic reflex, Selene fired a bolt of sticky silk at the man, causing him to fall over and land on-top of a shelf. Of course this wasn't the problem. The cause of the man's death was the contents of the glass he shattered; a pair of six-eyed sand spiders. Selene had toggled Arachnophobia causing the already startled spiders to go into a frenzy, biting the man constantly upon the neck and face. The man begged for her mercy, but rage burned inside of Selene. It was only now that the man, his life in danger, did he call out a humble himself before her. Selene knew his kind, even if she was to help him, once he got better he wouldn't be thankful nor would he change his ways. he'd simply go after some other magic user, if he didn't come back for revenge that was. Sealing his mouth shut with her webs, Selene let her spiders end the man's existence.

Just like that, Selene's magic, broke the oath she had held for so long. She was soon branded a murder and ran out of her shop. Was this the man's plan from the start or just a lucky happenstance for him? She never knew and anger burned inside of her everytime she though of it. It's not like she ever cared for any of her costumers, but she had been there long enough for them to know that she wasn't a killer. So then why? Why was the man, a know magic hater and thug, glorified, while she was hated for breaking her oath in self-defense? With her magic restricting her from wearing gloves, Selene wandered outside of the city, where her mark didn't matter, from place to place selling silks and poisons to make money. Finding that life outside the city was much harder and much darker. She also learned that from that darkness comes a type of people that are willing to trade with someone cursed like her to meet there own ends. During these travels, her poisons and odd magic gave her the nickname Black Recluse, a name she had come to accept.

Personality: Quiet, aloof and uncaring. The only room in her heart, it would seem, is for herself, her magic, and her spiders.

About the vials, Kell, I had in mind for it to be much like your latter guess. Selene would turn the liquid into gas while it was inside the vial. It is a slower process, yes, but it gives Selene more control over where the cloud heads to instead of throwing the vial and hoping for the best. She has no control over natural forces such as high winds and the likes. So she must be careful not to involve those the cloud isn't meant for, like team mates(unless, of course, they are meant to be involved). While she is careful with them, the vials are think enough to be bumped a bit, since not only is the contents are dangerous but she also sells them, and she has no interest of getting into trouble because her buyers hurt themselves cause they couldn't handle a thin glass vial properly.

As for the amount of vials, each of the six small pouches are filled to the max amount that she can safely store. If we were to assume that the space in the bags to hold vials big enough to make a decent sized cloud would be around four if Selene manages space correctly, then in total she would have 18 vial on her person. Also I'd say the decent sized cloud is about the size of a guest room in a normal two-story house, so it's not too big, but it can cover enough room to take out three to four people, maybe even five if Selene gets lucky.
Was there any thing else that needed to be clarified?

< Message edited by Draycos777 -- 1/6/2016 23:43:40 >
AQ  Post #: 38
1/6/2016 22:28:43   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Vanir, I'm guessing the plasma staining things in your description is the blood component, not the superheated gas, as that would just vaporize things. Forgive the comment on a random element of the bio, but I'm rather tired today and the inclusion struck me odd. Plasma couldn't real produce a stain unless separated from blood proper, but as I said previously, let us not split the hair too finely. I do like the overall description though.

I would like a moderate reduction in power on Purification, probably in the form of a lessened duration. A minute is a long time. In combat it is the next best thing to forever, unless we're talking about a pitched battle between two armies. I'd be looking for a trade on either end. Either it takes longer to cast, or the duration is shorter.

This aside, I like what I see here. I returned your PM regarding the Oath. If we can clear up those two bits, we should be good.

Draycos, two notes: First, I'm just a little iffy about Selene's motivations here. The Oath is acceptable, but somewhat in the same manner as Nilch'i, I'm not seeing a lot of motivation for Selene to want the redemption that the Magister is offering. I'll leave it to you to determine if you want to do something about that. Characters have a way of loosening up a bit IC, so maybe that is something that will come naturally.

Second, 18 is a touch high. Can we compromise on 14?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 39
1/6/2016 23:31:46   
Draycos777

Hmm, I don't have a problem with 14, though is it too much to ask if there is a reason to this? As it is not as though she will be using all 18(she also sells her poisons).
AQ  Post #: 40
1/6/2016 23:39:07   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Vanir, with edits the submission is approved.

Draycos, honestly I don't expect Selene to use all her vials, or really the majority. That being said, I find 18 to be high. I would probably go for 10-12, but I felt 14 was a good compromise point.

In either event, with edits the submission is approved.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 41
1/6/2016 23:39:17   
Vanir

I removed plasma from the list of stains for you. I suppose it doesn't make sense to list as it is a component of blood. Were it the other kind of plasma, Flannagon would have worse injuries than second and third degree burns. :p

I took Purification down to 30 seconds.

And I replied to your PM about his Oath, and it should be clearer now.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 42
1/7/2016 2:31:50   
Ryu Viranesh

Evening everyone! This took a bit longer than I'd have liked to put together (accursed rust), but I'm ultimately rather happy with the result. To preface what lies below: all aspects of this character and her relationships to others have been pre-approved by Kell. Now then, let's get down to business.

Name: Jana Bhayan
Alias: Jana Keller

Appearance and Gear:

Years of toil and thrift have done little to diminish Jana’s rather striking appearance, merely masking it beneath layer upon layer of grime. Though once a pale white, her skin has darkened several shades following her eight-year long stint working beneath the sweltering sun in Kingsport’s fields. This same labor has served to keep Jana in excellent physical condition, perhaps even more so than her time with the Saints; she’d always been a ‘big-boned’ girl, but now her physique might very well border on imposing. Such an illusion is dispelled the instant one meets her eyes, however, their warm hazel depths property of a soul far too kind to abuse the advantages she had physically - or so it would seem.

Yet the girl’s most distinguishable characteristic is undoubtedly her hair, a veritable flood of fiery fibers that cascade down to the center of her back (though it is often tied off in a pony-tail). This auburn mane shimmers in the sunlight and manages to retain some of its otherworldly luster even away from the lifegiving luminescence. However the same cannot be said for Jana’s freckles, fewer and fewer of the flecks appearing against her darker complexion, though they have not yet abandoned her entirely.

Fortunately for Jana, she had been nearly full-grown by the time she was forced out onto the streets, saving her the small fortune in clothing costs that her parents had been forced to bear. Between 13 and 15 the girl had put on over a foot of height, taking her from a squat 4’10” to a statuesque 5’11”, filling out to an extent that no one in their right mind would ever call her “small” again. While certainly tall for someone of her sex, Jana was thankfully left with plenty of recourses through which she could acquire clothes, contenting herself with a far simpler wardrobe than she’d enjoyed in her younger years. A simple cloth shirt and work pants, both long since faded to dull greys and blues, coupled with a pair of heavy brown boots and black gloves, the latter a necessity given her occupation. However, the girl has also continued to maintain the set of armor she received from the Saints, despite no longer being in their service. The reinforced-leather mail had been too good to her for Jana to let it fall into disrepair; that said, she did take care to scrub the Saints’ symbol from the chestpiece. Better to be safe than sorry.

As far as other equipment goes, Jana possesses only what she can carry on her back: a pack, complete with waterskin, rope, and a single roll of bandages; her lucerne, the steel-forged polearm another holdover from her time spent among Palora’s guardians; and lastly, a rondel dagger that she had acquired in the intervening years, her preferred weapon often too ostentatious to parade through the streets of Kingsport.

Abilities:

Jana’s use of the lucerne hammer combines a solid knowledge of the basics with the penchant for improvisation that she acquired while fighting in the streets of her newfound ‘home’. Though the core of her technique still relies primarily upon her strength and the accuracy of her strikes, the young woman has increasingly chosen to take advantage of her stature and the reach that it affords her. Though far from a master, Jana has proven herself to be more than capable with the poleaxe, as perhaps best evinced by her sterling record towards the end of the Roshon War.

Whatever skill the girl does lack is offset by her ability to shift her weight around her body as needed. More specifically, Jana is able to re-balance the weight from one section of her form, say a leg, to an entirely different part of her body, say one of her arms. In practice, this power allows her to do things such as increase the amount of force behind her swings (via the previously described transfer); move over a patch of ground more quietly than would be normal by temporarily draining the weight from her legs; and making herself more difficult to force from her feet by centering the weight on her torso. Though more limited than some other forms of magic in the world, Jana’s talents enable a wide range of tricks that would not otherwise be possible.

However, following her corruption by the Blight this power no longer functions as it should when used in conjunction with Jana’s left forearm. Rather than simply increase its weight, the blackened skin noticeably bulks up and her fingers become progressively more claw-like, the limb coming to resemble that of the demons that the Blighted are often considered to be. While under the influence of this ability her left arm gains notably increased strength, but at the cost of her ability to properly wield her lucerne, as the weapon requires two human hands. Still, in some cases the trade-off might well be worth it.

History & Oath:

Already in Kell's possession as of this post.

< Message edited by Ryu Viranesh -- 1/7/2016 2:41:16 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 43
1/7/2016 3:06:13   
Remaint

Do you, Viranesh, have an interest in 14th century European arms by any chance? I find it rare that people mention polearms and daggers to the specifics of lucerne pollaxes and rondels. Especially, together. Does Fiore dei Liberi ring a bell?

So we have an Amazon who's not messing around when it comes to melee combat~

The pollaxe. Arguably the safest choice when armour is in bountiful access. Well, when one is armoured themselves as well anyway. Already one of the hardest melee hitting weapons in terms of sheer kinetic force, yet augmented to in-humane levels by magic.

< Message edited by Remaint -- 1/7/2016 3:30:29 >
AQW  Post #: 44
1/7/2016 17:05:50   
Bastet

Here goes again. There are a few things I'd like to say, but I'll limit myself to apologising for any typos because I had to rewrite this bio on a phone. The rest can wait.

I think I like this Nilch'i more than the original one, so I hope she sticks.

Name: Nilch’i

Race: Human

Appearance: Nilch’i is rarely seen without her usual apparel, which consists of a golden robe worn by those dedicated to Greva. Another part typical of her attire is a blue half mask, worn whenever she needs to put her skills to use or if she can get away with it without being questioned. The mask ends just above her nostrils, allowing her to breathe through her nose with no obstructions and leaving facial features below it uncovered. Underneath the robe and mask Nilch’i puts between herself and the world, she appears as a fairly lithe girl with pale skin and flowing, dark red waist length hair. Simple brown shoes cover her feet, carrying her wherever she goes. While bearing the marks of constant use, much like her coat, they never fail in shielding her from cold. While she isn’t particularly tall, she definitely isn’t too short, standing at 5’4.

Nilch’i rarely wears anything above her robe, as a symbol of thankfulness, carrying a shirt and plain pants underneath it. Her voice is delicate, but rarely sweetens into friendly conversation, characterising her as a quiet fellow who breaks silence only when needed. Her half-mask, if worn, is tied to the back of her head through a firm lace, knotted in such a careful way that it is impossible for it to fall off by accident.

Personality: Nilch’i still carries the scars of her past, meaning that most of her free time is dedicated to study or any other activity that would allow her to keep to herself. Her composure has been trained thoroughly by the way she survived after escaping her prison, but those who manage to break through it might find her smiling, or even chuckling. She would also find it hard to maintain during battle, letting the darker side of her personality out, the one which bears most of the hate acquired through her many years of imprisonment. Far from quiet and composed, when facing someone she doesn't like she often revels in sadistic and taunting behaviour.

Abilities: Nilch’i is able to move objects around her with sheer force of thought. The speed at which an object can be thrown depends on its mass, and so does the range at which it can be done. As a rule of thumb, this ability is limited to the point that only small objects can be pushed at a speed at which they have any hope of damaging other beings. Also, objects that are heavier than one-and-a-half times Nilch’i’s weight, which would be about 75 kilograms, can’t be moved at all. To use this ability, Nilch’i has to maintain eye contact with the targeted object, though one that is already in motion obviously stays in motion. This ability has a myriad of uses, from utilitarian ones to serving both as her offense and defense during combat.

The next important fact is that Nilch’i’s mask doubles as an object that dampens the full potential of her telekinesis. Without it, she is able to even lift heavy objects or hurl people off their feet and send them flying a few yards, but she loses every control over its precision. She may be able to give the attack a vague sense of direction, but nothing more than that. It also leaves her exhausted whenever she makes use of this extra power, and stops her from using telekinesis at all for a day or more depending on usage.

Another trait she possesses is that she is particularly empathic, and easily influenced by the emotions of those around her. A cheery atmosphere inside a tavern might bring her to be a bit more talkative, while spending time close to someone who harbors great hate towards others would amplify her own. Since acquiring the mark, unfortunate events began happening to those around her, as if she carried an aura of bad luck. Nilch’i herself, however, is not aware of these abilities.

Nilch'i's physical condition isn't particularly impressive: possessing a lithe figure, she would never hold a candle in any kind of melee with someone stronger than a child. This is why she always avoids direct confrontation, working behind the backs of others or attacking from a distance.

History & Broken Oath: Not much is known about Nilch’i’s early years, and she couldn’t tell you much herself if she wanted to. Her earliest memory brings her back to the cell where she spent most of her life, being experimented upon by some cult she has only hazy memories of. Her days were simple cycles of being allowed to sleep a few hours, only being fed minimal amounts of food when she completed tests that pushed her telekinetic abilities further and further. She wasn’t allowed to pursue her own interests, the only distraction she was provided with being some kind of chanting that she occasionally heard. Never knowing what the incomprehensible words in the distance meant, she didn’t think much of it, especially after being subjected to it for so long that she stopped paying attention to it.

She had no memories of being anywhere else than the facility she lived in, being able to observe the outside only when she was taken through certain parts of the building. Nilch’i only knew her name because it was hung on a plaque outside her prison, but she had never seen anybody that wasn’t dressed in the same black robe that she herself wore at the time. The mask she carries was forced on her when she utterly lost control of her abilities during an event she barely holds any memory of, waking days later to find it tied to her with a knot that she had no hope of being able to untie herself. A man stood in front of her, explaining what it was for and threatening punishment should she ever remove it. The girl didn’t think much of it, taking it as one order like the others, but she remained as clueless as the day she was born as to why she had the abilities that made her interesting to those who took care of her.

Then, one day, she sat expecting her usual routine of being tossed around between various people who wanted to see how her abilities would fare against certain obstacles, but nobody came. The chanting in the background was silent. Nilch’i waited an amount of time that could’ve well just been a few minutes, but it felt like an eternity in a place where measuring time was impossible. Eventually, she took advantage of her telekinesis to open the rusty door that separated her from one of the many hallways of the building, and adventured alone into rooms that she had only walked when accompanied by the robed figures.

As she walked, she eventually began finding corpses. Brutally mangled corpses. She didn’t think much of it, besides gaining a tendency to jump every time she heard a noise, rather distracted by the thought that she might’ve found a way to the outside world. The corpses never stopped appearing, rather increasing in number the closer she got to the exit she eventually discovered. Nilch’i remembers little of the rooms she passed, because she was so focused on finding a way out. Eventually, a door led her to a rather anonymous exit in the side of a peripheral building to a settlement she would come to know as Palora.

Nilch’i wandered in the city aimlessly, passing out not long after the surreal experience. The little sleep, combined with suddenly being set free in a world that was almost entirely foreign to her, were far too much for the young girl to bear. She woke to find herself in the house of a priestess of Greva, with little idea of who Greva even was until she was given given a proper explanation. The girl was extremely interested in what she never had a chance , though, inciting the priestess to satisfy her thirst for knowledge. Understanding that Nilch’i would likely not survive on her own, she took her in her own house as a pupil. One book at a time, Nilch’i was slowly taught social etiquette and induced into the religious functions that characterised the worship of Greva. The girls always showed herself thankful, recognising the opportunity that had been given ever even through the limited understanding she had of the society around her. One of the greatest rewards for the priestess, other than being able to spread knowledge itself, was the ability to study the girl’s telekinesis, which couldn't be considered entirely common.

The day came, however, that further hospitality would come at a price: now that the priestess estimated that Nilch’i would be able to fend for herself in the streets, she would be required to take an important oath of loyalty. She would be allowed to live with the priestess as if she was her own daughter and have access to as much of the knowledge she held in her library as she was interested in, in exchange for her promising to fully embracing Greva and never using her powers for a purpose that would cause direct harm to someone. The same day she took the oath, Nilch’i burned the black coat that she still carried and donned the golden robes that distinguished her as part of one of the many cults of Palora.

It wasn't until many years later that Nilch’i would find herself breaking that same oath while travelling alone through the Southern Quarter as part of the task of spreading as much knowledge as possible. Due to this task requiring her to linger in one of the dangerous parts of the quarter as to grant everyone an equal chance to learn from the teachings of Greva, she almost wasn't surprised when she was cornered by those she would quickly learn were less than well intentioned individuals. The situation quickly escalated, forcing Nilch'i to defend herself. Such a use of her powers was not prohibited, but she purposely let her emotions take control of her actions and struck out against one of her assailants by causing unnecessary injuries. It was more than she was allowed in such cases, and she paid the price dearly by having the mark appear on her hand by the time she was back home. The priestess understood her actions, forgiving her immediately even, but it was far beyond her authority to absolve Nilch’i for her actions. She was given a few supplies, and mercifully not stripped of her robes, and cast out into the streets of Palora until she could find a way to redeem herself by removing the mark. Nilch’i fully understood and accepted what had happened, but the lack of any remorse for her first murder left her wondering if she could ever find redemption and rejoin her community. The encounter with the Magister followed soon after.

< Message edited by Bastet -- 1/8/2016 1:28:49 >
Post #: 45
1/7/2016 19:34:24   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Ryu, I still love that avvie. The submission is accepted.

This puts us in a somewhat awkward position, Bastet. I intended for this to be a small game for reasons I think are clear, and I was only looking for six players max. While you did submit prior to Ryu initially, the adjustments required to Nilch'i have resulted in you being pipped to the post.

That being said, I have read through the resubmit... and I like it. You have addressed my concerns as regards Nilch'i, and I appreciate the effort that you have put into the character's various incarnations to fit her into the setting I have presented. As such, the submission is accepted.

The RP is now closed to new submissions.

So I welcome each of you to the Blackguard. We are not quite done with the preparation however. In order to fine-tune the coming trials I need some additional information from each of you. I would like the answers to the following questions sent to me via PM at your earliest convenience. Expect to see the IC go up Sunday (1/10)

What is your character's deepest fear?

Who is their greatest enemy? Who was (is) their greatest ally?

What is the worst thing they have ever done (If the answer is the action taken to break their Oath, what is the second worst thing)?

There are seven deadly sins (Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride). Of which is your character the most guilty?

What is their deepest regret (again, disregarding the breaking of the Oath)?

Has your character ever been in love? How did it end?

Growing up, was there someone your character looked up to? Why?

What is your character's greatest triumph?

What would your character be doing now if they had not broken their Oath?

If there had never been an Oath, would your character still regret what he or she had done?

< Message edited by Kellehendros -- 1/7/2016 19:38:54 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 46
1/7/2016 19:58:49   
Draycos777

"Who is their greatest enemy?"

Is it alright if we make an enemy here? Or is this like their overall enemy?
AQ  Post #: 47
1/7/2016 20:10:24   
Vanir

Does their greatest enemy have to necessarily be a person?
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 48
1/7/2016 20:22:18   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Draycos, as noted, you are free to craft NPCs to your needs. If you have a particularly powerful NPC (either in terms of combat ability or social standing) in mind, I'll need to approve.

Vanir, it does not.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 49
1/7/2016 20:44:52   
Draycos777

K, tkz Kell, pm with answered questions sent.

As a side note, I think that I'll find the interactions between or character will be quite interesting. Especially if someone happens to get caught in one of Selene's websXD How to save face while hanging upside down while a blank-looking witch stares at you with the expression of: How to serve this as dinner for everyone?

AQ  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RP OOC >> RE: When Heroes Fail - OOC
Page 2 of 9«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition