Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= August 30th Design Notes: Reimagined: The Book 1 Timeline is Here!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= August 30th Design Notes: Reimagined: The Book 1 Timeline is Here!
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/30/2019 21:02:34   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

quote:

Verlyrus
Exhausted Cat

Reimagined: The Book 1 Timeline is Here!

Hey there, heroes!

This week in DragonFable, we've added a timeline for Book 1! After spending days combing through quest texts and guides and forgotten documents and losing sleep writing and linking descriptions (Over 70 sections!), we're proud to release the Book 1 Timeline! While things may still be up for adjustment should we have messed anything up, this is the definitive timeline for DragonFable's often confusing Book 1.

Also, while the timeline does not include every quest or quest line in book 1 (by far!) we did our best to include anything that was highly relevant to the plot of Book 1 and future plots in Books 2 and 3.

Being a Reimagined release, we've also added some new functionality to the timelines (Book 1 AND 3!)
  • You can now use your mouse wheel to scroll through the timeline quickly, in addition to the existing click and drag functionality.
  • Book 3 has the BETA version of a timeline tracker to help you remember and quickly see where you are on each timeline. Currently, this is only functional for Book 3's The End of Magic main story, but I hope I can add this to the other storylines, as well as to Book 1.
There's been a bug fix as well that may impact the use of Book 1's timeline. Previously, the Wind Orb, Energy Orb, and Water Orb were considered "obtained" one quest too early. As a result, some of you may see some oddities when using the timeline or the Book of Lore until you actually complete those quests.

Also, Book 1's orbs can no longer be used to teleport to locations. This is to prevent storyline confusion, since, believe it or not, there is a rather solid order in which the orbs are done. These locations can all now be accessed from the new timeline.

That said, if you are determined, you can still access the storylines out of order from the travel map or just exploring. The timeline is a guide, and doesn't have to be followed if you do not want to.

Now is the perfect time to replay those ancient, punny, crazy, epic, (and possibly buggy) quests of Book 1: The Orb Saga!

Chaosweaver Update:

So it turns out untangling the web that is Book 1, coming up with and typing out descriptions for all 70+ story points, connecting things behind the scenes, setting up the timeline tracker, etc, took a lot of work. Unfortunately, since there is only one of me, that means no progress was made on Chaosweaver this week.

But do not fret! It's coming, and I'd rather do it well than rush it as a side project.

Other:

A button to purchase bag space has been added to the Boosts tab in the Book of Lore.

A button to open the purchase Dragon Coins page has been added to the Boosts tab in the Book of Lore.

Demnra's Deception will be sticking around for a final FINAL week. Be sure to get it before it leaves! It really will!

Have feedback about today's release, or the game? Have crazy theories about the story? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus

< Message edited by Jay -- 8/30/2019 21:10:26 >
DF  Post #: 1
8/31/2019 1:33:34   
Flabagast

Wowee, you guys really did it. The first Chaosweaver war, Wrath of Xan, Nythera's Saga, Bacon Origins... Even the Clashening. It's all there! This'll be invaluable to new players!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
8/31/2019 1:56:00   
lastspartan

This is going to keep me busy today. Cheers.
Post #: 3
8/31/2019 3:28:54   
HORRIOR

There is a minor graphical glitch that can happen when you get the 1 enemy encounter in the ice war.

It doesn't go away even in the character selection screen XD

< Message edited by HORRIOR -- 8/31/2019 3:29:29 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
8/31/2019 3:56:59   
Roxas45

I have a few questions about the timeline, surrounding the orb saga and the Nythera saga.

We managed to help Nythera get the elementals super angry, kill warlic, at the same time that we were simultaneously helping the pirates and ninjas with the wind orb? (I'm confused here actually. In game, I know that you do each line as its own story, not really affecting the other, as in if you help the Ninja's, then the Pirates aren't at a disadvantage or something, but then you need to do BOTH for the final 13? In which case canonically you deal with the wind orb twice? Slight confusion regarding the overlap/collapse of the timeline in this node)

Also, how are we starting another orb saga (especially at the END of one, before the conclusion of one) while another one is going on? In between finding out that Sek Duat is the true evil, and fighting him, we end up going to Dragesvard to start the ice orb saga? We also seem to be dealing with Vayle and the Darkness Orb during our run with Zhoom before discovering (an estimate) that he isnt the villain.
And before we face the ice queen, we also take a slight side trip to Popsprocket?
And we fight Drakonnan AFTER We get mind zapped by Cthulu, but before we conclude the fight?

All the while, randomly going and doing the quests of the Bacon Orb during the earlier orb quests?

I'm slightly concerned about our hero. We dont seem to get ANY rest...

If I'm wrong with this, please let me know where. I'm basing a lot of this off memory and glancing at thew wiki regarding order of events inside an orb saga quest line.

Otherwise, I am loving the map.
I really want to go redo the Ravenloss Quest now.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
8/31/2019 5:00:44   
TFS
Helpful!

Great release, this is something that's really been needed for a long time. Organizing Book 1 is an almost superhuman feat and I can't imagine this was at all simple to put together. There are still a few unavoidable yucky bits, of course, but they're much, much fewer in number than you'd expect from a story of Book 1's size, timeframe, number of writers/developers, and plot structure. Moreover they aren't the fault of the timeline's structure - older writers just didn't think ahead when making major plot points seasonal, rare, or based on an easily missable NPC in an obscure side quest (Or introducing characters that don't make any sense to players who didn't read that week's DNs. Or played while the game was in beta). Mad props to Verlyrus and Dove, this must have been insane to iron out - especially considering what they were given to work with.

quote:

We managed to help Nythera get the elementals super angry, kill warlic, at the same time that we were simultaneously helping the pirates and ninjas with the wind orb? (I'm confused here actually.

quote:

Also, how are we starting another orb saga (especially at the END of one, before the conclusion of one) while another one is going on? In between finding out that Sek Duat is the true evil, and fighting him, we end up going to Dragesvard to start the ice orb saga? We also seem to be dealing with Vayle and the Darkness Orb during our run with Zhoom before discovering (an estimate) that he isnt the villain.
And before we face the ice queen, we also take a slight side trip to Popsprocket?

quote:

All the while, randomly going and doing the quests of the Bacon Orb during the earlier orb quests?

The protagonist presumably isn't completing each quest back-to-back in a single short period of time - you help Nythera make a potion one day, then receive a request from Zeuster the next day, etc. Most of the story arcs take place over considerable periods of time and as such it wouldn't make sense for them not to overlap.

quote:

I know that you do each line as its own story, not really affecting the other, as in if you help the Ninja's, then the Pirates aren't at a disadvantage or something, but then you need to do BOTH for the final 13? In which case canonically you deal with the wind orb twice?

You were not required to complete both Wind Orb paths to access the Final 13th from Elysia or the old Book of Lore; if you are now, that's likely a bug/oversight.

quote:

And we fight Drakonnan AFTER We get mind zapped by Cthulu, but before we conclude the fight?

I kind of agree with this specific point, though, as 'Final Battle' is specifically noted as taking place in between 'Nightmare' and 'Risen.' While it doesn't make sense that we'd go and take a side trip to Drakonnan's lair while being controlled by Kathool, there's a line of dialogue in 'Risen' claiming that Kathool has been active for weeks despite it being very clear within the narrative that the last six Water Orb quests take place back-to-back. I'd argue that this fault lies with the writers of the Water Orb saga and not the organization of the timeline, though.

< Message edited by TFS -- 8/31/2019 6:19:05 >
DF  Post #: 6
8/31/2019 9:39:19   
Primate Murder

A pretty nice release, I must say, and surprisingly systematic. In my original playthrough I kinda jerked around, roughly following the DDG, so I had the rough idea of what goes after what, but not the greater story behind it. The trees, not the forest.

The timeline makes the reasoning much clearer, and when you see the events summarized, the story comes together in a cohesive manner, so kudos to the staff!

Oh, and using the mouse's scrolling is much more comfortable, so thanks for that!

P.S. Oh, and did the spy situation with Grams ever get resolved? The timeline kinda reminded me of that...

< Message edited by Primate Murder -- 8/31/2019 9:43:49 >
AQ DF  Post #: 7
8/31/2019 10:31:38   
gakorogirl

Hey uh, it seems like the Energy and Water orbs aren't showing up on my Orb Saga display, even though I definitely finished both of those sagas using this character? I got back into DF around five years ago and replayed all the major Book One stuff, so I think I should have them (and did, in the old Book of Lore.)

The timeline is fantastic and clarified a lot of things for me that I wasn't actually around for at release.
DF AQW  Post #: 8
8/31/2019 21:20:28   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

quote:

Hey uh, it seems like the Energy and Water orbs aren't showing up on my Orb Saga display, even though I definitely finished both of those sagas using this character? I got back into DF around five years ago and replayed all the major Book One stuff, so I think I should have them (and did, in the old Book of Lore.)

Per the Design Notes:
quote:

There's been a bug fix as well that may impact the use of Book 1's timeline. Previously, the Wind Orb, Energy Orb, and Water Orb were considered "obtained" one quest too early. As a result, some of you may see some oddities when using the timeline or the Book of Lore until you actually complete those quests.

quote:

I have a few questions about the timeline, surrounding the orb saga and the Nythera saga.

Regarding "parallel" storylines:
Each block is one continuous segment- the overlap just means that the order is not set in stone. So you could do the Bacon Origin, then Nythera saga, then Wind Orb, for example, OR any other order of them, and the story should still all line up.
AQ MQ  Post #: 9
9/1/2019 19:54:02   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

As verly stated, two sagas "overlaping" is how the timeline says the order between those sagas do not matter. It's not like doing Ravenloss part 2 before Part 1, but doing the Ice orb saga before the Darkness orb saga doesn't affect the flow of the story. There is a minimun continuity between each saga to make the order so important.
DF AQW  Post #: 10
9/4/2019 10:39:12   
blowthemandown

I gotta say, this really didn't feel necessary. The Book 1 content was pretty well organized before. And Book 1 is not like Book 3, where you actually need a flowchart to keep track of things.
DF  Post #: 11
9/4/2019 14:53:09   
Vikken101

@blowthemandown I completely disagree, while book 1 does not have the book 3 problem of huge carry overs between quest lines. The early stuff, including things that have gone rare, are a mess for people to parse through if you are a new player, an want a chronological telling of early game events. While the orbs were mostly straight forward, besides Ravenloss after fire war, and Vilmor after Iceorb. Like how would a player know that Undead Assault was your in-game introduction to Sepulcher for example? The stuff before the orbs, needed re-organizing so players can find it without going to the rare war statue. Also players that are going through the book 1 story, might just to the 8 orb sagas and think they are done, when important things like the Storm War and the introduction to the bacon element is easily skipable.

< Message edited by Vikken101 -- 9/4/2019 14:56:36 >
Post #: 12
9/5/2019 15:07:02   
Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

Is this based on the order of releases or the in-game chronological order of events?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 13
9/5/2019 18:43:27   
Vikken101

@DwellingDragonlord This is absolutely the chronological organization of events, not release order.

< Message edited by Vikken101 -- 9/5/2019 18:46:05 >
Post #: 14
9/5/2019 19:07:04   
blowthemandown

quote:

Also players that are going through the book 1 story, might just to the 8 orb sagas and think they are done, when important things like the Storm War and the introduction to the bacon element is easily skipable.

All that stuff was there, under another window. Bacon, the Nythera quests, the Falconreach spy, Ravenloss, Vilmor. Everything was covered.
DF  Post #: 15
9/6/2019 0:20:34   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

@blowthemandown: That (the 'More Stories' section) was actually removed during the latest Book of Lore revamp in June. The Timeline is the most logical way to reintroduce these events (and more, such as important war events and cutscenes which very easily could have been missed) in an orderly manner, rather than just having them appear as purely tangential optionals to the main story, when in many cases, they overlap.

I've been meaning to work on my alts for quite some time now, and this timeline really has given me the will to do that again. I've enjoyed replaying the Fire War already, and hope I can find time to replay the entire Orb Saga at some point.

< Message edited by Jay -- 9/6/2019 0:22:40 >
DF  Post #: 16
9/6/2019 16:22:23   
Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

If the events are to be chronological from an in-game perspective, then the "Ice Dragon War" needs to happen before "Sepulchure's Flying Fortress". I doubt that there's going to be an option to play Frostval 2006, but that is when the player character first learned of Sepulchure. During that event you already knew Dragonmaster Frostscythe (DA-only mission), so the "Ice Dragon War" would happen first.

quote:

ORIGINAL: https://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=7372838

<Character>: Yes, I overheard the name Sepulchure. I believe this person was attempting to use the moglins to make healing weapons.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 17
9/19/2019 21:55:23   
Paytonzane

Hey, I know this thread is a bit old but I'm having a small problem with the Book 1 Timeline. I just got back into the game a few days ago, rolled up a new Mage character, and have been using the timeline to go through the story again, but for some reason I can't do the Ice Dragon War? I've played every other quest up to it, and I've already gone past it and gotten my dragon egg, so far I'm at the point where I'm farming Elemental Essences for Warlic to unlock the Lymcrest chain. But I still can't use the timeline to do the Ice Dragon War right after "Gram's Missing Granddaughter", and I've already saved Aria. Any idea if I'm missing something, or is this a bug?
DF  Post #: 18
9/20/2019 10:58:19   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

Did you play through the Sepulchure's Flying Fortress quest set?
You need to complete that and the quest The Temple of the Four Winds from Ash in order to access the Ice Dragon War.
AQ MQ  Post #: 19
9/20/2019 20:15:18   
Paytonzane

Ohhh, that would explain it, I noticed that was locked until 10 and remembered it was a scene with the flying fortress, but figured the Temple of the Winds wasn't important. That would fill the gap. Thanks Verlyrus!
DF  Post #: 20
9/21/2019 12:41:12   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

Yep! I'm planning on going through and making the "locks" more descriptive soon to prevent such confusion.
AQ MQ  Post #: 21
9/22/2019 22:57:08   
AdmantCrow

I LOVE the new timeline. Picking up the game for the first time properly in years has been so much fun actually following the story and getting the bigger picture of things, rather then the most disconnected experience of before. Thanks heaps guys!
Post #: 22
9/24/2019 22:16:52   
Paytonzane

In response to a post earlier, I too seem to have issues going from the Wind Orb saga to the next saga (Darkness or Light), do we need to do both Ninjas and Pirates? Or do I need to do the Bacon and Nythera questlines to unlock the Darkness and Light orb sagas? (I know I'm not "unlocking" them per se but I'd like to see the timeline working in perfect order, it's a really handy tool for returning and new players!)
DF  Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= August 30th Design Notes: Reimagined: The Book 1 Timeline is Here!
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition