Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing
Page 2 of 7«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/14/2019 2:33:19   
Brandazzle

I'm still trying to figure out why the Hero looks so suspicious when Uaanta mentions learning human ways from "a hermit living in the deepest glades of the Endless Marsh."
DF MQ  Post #: 26
9/14/2019 2:52:20   
HORRIOR

Another monthly energy weapon? I feel like the monthly weapons have been repeating elements for a while now.

Could we not get a bit rarer damage type? Like poison, disease, or ebil?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 27
9/14/2019 3:38:48   
dragon_master

I was actually expecting a war in Doomwood, following Out of Control, but I guess not.

The Chaosweaver is actually very fun (because all offense classes are fun). The Gambit is a nice, I suppose, gamble.
DF  Post #: 28
9/14/2019 3:45:28   
Alpha Centipede

Y'know, I'm actually kinda relieved there isn't a war, since school's been pretty rough on my sleep lately. But man, this kind of enemies are often the hardest to bring down. It's Kathool all over again, darn.

On the topic of Chaosweaver, I do have one very minor gripe with the class. No, not mechanically, but the running animation.
I can't seem to put my finger on what I don't really like about it. I mean, the teleport-ish movement is really cool, don't get me wrong. But doesn't it feel a tad bit... slow and jerky?
I'm not sure how Danyel's running animation compares to Chaosweaver's though, since I haven't got the time to compare yet.
DF  Post #: 29
9/14/2019 3:50:10   
Greldracion

Coding seems to be a little off on the Female chaosweaver. charges aren't being gained and no charges are needed to perform the defensive skills.
AQ  Post #: 30
9/14/2019 3:55:35   
moe

Hi guys. What's the best course of action to take, skill wise, against bosses?
AQW  Post #: 31
9/14/2019 4:25:37   
Primate Murder

The quest was short, but nice and interesting. I loved the callback to Kathool (Water Orb was my favorite in the Orb Saga), and mind-twisty dreamscape fights have always been done well in DF.

@ Moe

Which ones? Different bosses usually require different tactics. This week's fight needs you to have high accuracy (or DoT), so something like Technomancer or Necromancer would be a good choice.

< Message edited by Primate Murder -- 9/14/2019 4:26:05 >
AQ DF  Post #: 32
9/14/2019 4:37:44   
Alpha Centipede

@Greldracion: Soulthreads mechanic has been taken out. Design Notes have been updated a while ago.
DF  Post #: 33
9/14/2019 4:43:40   
Necromencer

As much as I like that run, the flashing becomes hard to look at after a while. Is it possible to have it toned down?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 34
9/14/2019 5:10:03   
Roxas45

I love the new quest. :D
I feel the same as my main character, It seems that I was looking forward to the war, even though its going to be a massive pain in the neck.

One thing with the Chaosweaver though.
The movement. Even though its supposed to look that way, it still causes problems when you move towards characters with their text boxes. Roaming around Falconreach, you tend to find yourself unable to leave a certain area only while wearing the chaosweaver.
And only when engaging with NPCs with dialogue text boxes.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 35
9/14/2019 5:20:39   
TFS
Helpful!

Okay, wow, new class. I have a lot of thoughts to get out.

I think Rebuke is really really silly lol. In order to use it properly you have to use a bunch of accessory setup that the class isn't equipped with on its own (weapon specials, trinkets, pets, food, etc) but then once you do set it up it does nearly 3x as much damage as the skill that's supposed to be the class's big nuke. When I first saw the DNs I assumed 250% was a typo, but it isn't; if you clown around enough with the proper preparations rebuke can do upward of 10,000 damage only two or three turns into the battle.
Gambit is also interesting; it offers insane amounts of offensive power that the class's other skills are clearly balanced around (ignoring Rebuke your highest base power skill is 300%), but you can get around this (read: abuse it) with accessory skills.

Ignoring these two dirty little tricks that the class clearly wasn't built around, Chaosweaver feels a lot like Doompoch in terms of both playstyle and underwhelming power; you can either set up moderate burst damage and then die right afterward or set up some fast, janky defenses and then die right afterward. I don't feel like Chaosweaver quite measures up to prior DC classes power-wise without degenerate accessory setup or abusing obscure Rolith trinkets, though I may just be spoiled by how atrociously strong Kathool Adept and (to a lesser degree) Entropy are lol. But that's what testing is for!
New version rolled out while I was typing up this post, must say I like the current version a LOT more. You've got a berserker-type playstyle that there isn't a lot of in DF; the synergy between Gambit, Aegis, Assault, and Siphon is really rewarding to play around with. I still feel like Rebuke is a problem for the reasons listed above and the extensive duration of the -200 All is a bit too punishing. I'd definitely be in favor of Rebuke's cap being lowered by a LOT, some sort of mitigation for Gambit's extended debuff, and some reward for using Untangle now that threads are gone. Maybe Untangle could give you a get-out-of-jail free on Gambit (purge, maybe?) and have its cooldown raised in return? Nonetheless I still feel like current ChW is much better-designed than the initial version was.

This class's art and animations are amazing. Soul Rip in particular is really cool, though it would be remiss not to note how incredibly sinister the death animation is as well. I also really like the amount of detail work put into each animation; try zooming in and see your character put on an evil smirk while attacking! I'm definitely also going to start using Poison weapons where I can, just because of how cool the Poison claw is. I could also go on and on about how much I love attacking with an evil laugh, though that's more of a thematic thing. Definitely loving this class's aesthetic.

< Message edited by TFS -- 9/14/2019 5:22:37 >
DF  Post #: 36
9/14/2019 5:32:40   
EST OverLord

anyone going to mention the cuteness of the moglin cleaning our screen?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 37
9/14/2019 6:35:30   
Alm Nullamors

I was in no position to really take on a war anyways. Much as I enjoy those social events, my dad was admitted to hospital on Wednesday and I'd like to visit him often. This way just works out best for me.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 38
9/14/2019 7:57:00   
CorkSulker

not really good at judging when it comes to skill and application, and integration into the lore of the game, but one problem i keep having is the running animation is a bit graphic heavy on most areas i go to. it kind of feels like Ascended Chicken Cow running animation(have they fixed the ACCs running bug where it gets stuck and cannot go to one direction?). that's all for me now. gonna test more and wait for further updates.
Post #: 39
9/14/2019 8:10:38   
Flabagast

@EST OverLord Don't mind Spruce, just doing her job! :P

We may not have gotten a war this week, but we certainly got some good info.

Firstly, it was cool to get to know Uaanta and where she's from a little better. Those names were fun too. Uaanta's maiden name being Dens? A cleric named Don Fayt? A guy called Pulin Stryngs who happens to a Ranger? That's next-level wordplay right there. Jokes aside, Remthalas gave us a date. This Frostval ought to be an interesting one. I have a hunch I know who his "colleagues" are too.
spoiler:

I've speculated that Lock and Key were actually part of the Malerous, but hearing him talk about Frostval, and knowing that they've been a reoccurring thing in a few seasonal events has confirmed it for me.

Something else that interested me was the "they'' Remthalas mentioned. Looks to me like the Malerous may give us some very deep lore.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 40
9/14/2019 9:27:46   
Eragon Dragus

Haha Spruce is both awesome and cute.
Post #: 41
9/14/2019 10:52:18   
mds2006

So I got super annoyed in this quest.
spoiler:

The scenes and dialogue that happened for one or two frames angered me a bit so I recorded a second playthrough to go frame-by-frame to see them. <_<

spoiler:

1) When the Hero predicts Uaanta's next thing about her grandkids, Remthalas (with "???" where his name goes) says "Let's try a little bit of this."

2) Right before they're about to battle, Remthalas (again with the "???" instead of his name) says "And... action!"

3) After the battle, when the Hero is saying they want to know why the Avatars want the Maleurous gone so badly, a negative-color frame appears where the Hero and Remthalas have switched positions, with Remthalas saying that dialogue box instead.

4) When Remthalas is saying "My Dream." then it's the Hero(?) saying "Or is it your dream?", the negative-frame is just the characters being switched as it is during that bit of the cutscene.

5) Right after Remthalas says "Time to wake up." he appears right behind the Hero and says, with italicized text in the dialogue box, "Or are you going to sleep?"

< Message edited by mds2006 -- 9/14/2019 11:01:29 >
Post #: 42
9/14/2019 11:24:37   
Paryas

@mds2006 You're the real MVP.
DF AQW  Post #: 43
9/14/2019 11:34:15   
s_venom

I forgot how much I disliked Uaanta....
And the Avatars are killing me, just be straight forward with the hero and you can avoid what is going to be a massive conflict.
Unless it's one of those if you tell the truth you are doomed things, but still...
AQ DF  Post #: 44
9/14/2019 11:42:49   
Jet Silver

Anyone else find it somewhat interesting that in a group of Friday the 13th villains there's 7 spots for them in Uaanta's book, which is generally considered a lucky number.

This questline seems to be dealing with the duality of light and darkness, good and evil, with our character attempting to understand these "villains" more, and I wonder if the fact there's 7 spots for the Malerous villains also reflects that in some sense. Maybe they're not so "unlucky" or "dark" or "evil" as the avatars attempt to make them out to be.

Or maybe I'm just reading too far into the number 7
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 45
9/14/2019 12:00:41   
Tr4pD00r

My only gripes with Chaosweaver right now are mainly to do with Soul Gambit. While I understand its a gambit, the gambit is TOO much that it makes me not want to use it at all... We do get powered up for 4 turns but taking a -200 All for 8 whole turns against any boss is a death sentence. It sounds almost unfair if I say to you you do twice the damage in the next three turns but the catch is in exchange you have to take three times increased damage for the next eight turns from all sources. Is that a satisfactory trade off? I will argue that the big powerful bosses in the game have higher hp than you, usually resist stun, and can hurt you more relative to your hp% in the same turn than you can do damage to them - Your own HP is more precious, so Soul Gambit is not worth using at all.

I tend not to use Soul Gambit in general questing either as it does nothing on the current turn. Meaning I have to waste a turn to activate it when I could've used a skill like Hexing Wheel or Soul Assault instead to put out some immediate damage without having to accept the -All penalty for the rest of the battle and take unnecessary damage.

I really like the concept of Soul Aegis' 'resisting death' ability, but its a bit unfortunate that it is too niche to get a chance to shine in day to day questing.

I hope that Soul Gambit and Soul Aegis can still be tweaked to make them both a bit more robust. It wouldn't be outrageous for Soul Aegis to be a shield has well, 2 turns of shield is not a lot given that you missed doing damage in the first turn of your protection from activating the shield. For Soul Gambit, it would feel natural if the debuff length was at least shortened to (or made the same as) the same length as it buffs you. Soul Gambit would also be more fair and workable if after you use the skill it lets you go again (like what Epoch and Avatar of Time does).

Mechanics aside, the appearance and animations is great! The cackling and facial expressions are a nice touch. I don't mind the flashing walking animation myself.
Post #: 46
9/14/2019 13:03:11   
brotherinlaw

Quite impressed with Chaosweaver. I used it once, not reading the class overview, and almost beat the event on the first try.

Also, for whoever's asking, Chaosweaver and Fleshweaver WILL be canon. Chaosweaver is not inherently evil (so yes, ai think Aegis should't be used in the shield like that. I also think we should get a different, corrupt Elemental Spirit). Fleshweaver, however, is twisted and evil, and will give serious consequences later in the story for those who choose thar path. No spoilers, but lets just say this choice is one I, as an avid Shadowscythe enthusiast, Doomknight connesuor, and evil Rper extrodenair, have not the stomach for what this choice entails.

Also, the source of this information courtesy of Tomix's Twitter.

Now, about the event:
spoiler:

About the Maleurous, I think I may have gathered, borrowing from other sources, what they are, what they may want, and why they make the Avatars act the way they do. Now, I understand that all non-Dragonfable lore is non-canon untill made otherwise, but it does make for good theory-fodder unless directly contradicted by established fact. THerefore, if anyone has information that does contradict or change anything of this theory, feel free to chime in.

To begin with, the Avatars are unable to manifest themselves on lore without the risk of damaging the very fabric of reality. This is important, as Dragonfable was the first game to suggest this, as in AQ they and other dieties have manifested themselves on a regular basis. In a Design Notes post made by Alina for AQW, we get what might be background. She states that the Elemental Wars involved the Elemental Avatars and compromised their ability to manifest on this plane. It's worth bringing up that this war was mentioned in AQ during the Devourer saga, but it was stated that the Lords and avatars were never involved, and it was purely enacted by their respective churches.

I believe that the Maleurous may be the "agents of chaos" that started this war. Of the two we've seen so far, they seem defined by being elemental in nature, as well as possessing elements of corruption. Such beings, if powerfull enough, could have convinced the Avatars to turn on each other, when their single go al and purpose in life is to maintain a balance which war would destroy. It's even said in the aforementioned Design note that, in repentance for their actions, the Avatars of Fire and Ice crafted a weapon from the other's essence, enchanted them, and gave them to the other. Such is the story of the scythe which would become the Frozen Claymore.

I think this is also why they began to act eratic, almost insane, when they were freed. The Avatars were as gods, even worshipped as such. They were all powerfull, and few could even match their might, let alone challenge them. Then came the Maleurous, and the Avatars were brought to their lowest. Tricked into fighting a vicous battle against those they loved most, the Avatars went from all-mighty and all-important to weak and abused. Being born as gods, it makes sense that they feel like scared, panicking children when they think it cohld happen again

As to what they want, I think the Avatars are right. They each want their own thing from the ensueing chaos. For the one we've met, he strikes me as the mastermind. He seems like the one who engineered the war, manipulating the others of his group to do their part. As to what he wants, we may have to look at AQ again. The one who instituted the war was a Drakel and follower of The'Galin. He believed that hw was doing The Devourer's will by readying the world for Uncreation. Perhapse the one we met Friday is trying to do the same thing: ready the world for The'Galin. I don't believe he is a follower or a member of the Network, however. Perhapse the ones he wants to invade the dreams of are The'Galin and Lorithia, but their manipulation of what they know (see the Devourer saga finale) keeps them from dreaming. Perhapse,.once all is set right, they will dream of each other, and he can gain the power he seeks from that.

< Message edited by brotherinlaw -- 9/14/2019 13:05:35 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 47
9/14/2019 14:02:05   
moe

What're the correct chain of attacks/skills that I should use with the new armor?
AQW  Post #: 48
9/14/2019 14:13:32   
Paryas

quote:

It gets hung up on walls. What I mean by this, take chaosweaver, go to the inn, walk up to the patrons sitting on the right-most side. You will get stuck against it, unable to turn around, and the only fix for this is to teleport away by going to your hometown, house, or opening a quest from the timeline. Then.... there's when this happens in quests. It's a complete hard-stop.

I have had the same problem happen a couple of times as well now, might have something to do with the animation?
DF AQW  Post #: 49
9/14/2019 14:30:49   
Sakurai the Cursed

quote:

Also, for whoever's asking, Chaosweaver and Fleshweaver WILL be canon.

Oh really? Nice, I'll be sure to tell Dove he was wrong about CW not being canon, thanks for letting us know.

But the actual answer is, the reason CW is non-canon is that real ChaosWeaving (using a corrupted soul ally, not the technical ChaosWeaving definition of Edelia that's just "using weaving in battle") is unambiguously and unavoidably morally corrupting. Being linked with a corrupt ally corrupts the weaver over time, and so far as we know the only way to avoid that is to purify said ally (i.e., rip their soul apart like Pandora) in which case you wouldn't be a CW any more.

FW is canon because it's not necessarily morally corrupting, and in fact consuming pure spirits makes the weaver more pure. Certainly there's the question of the morality of eating things in the first place, however since Tomix said that eating Aegis won't be murder I think we can safely assume that there's a way to go about it that's not "pure evil."
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing
Page 2 of 7«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition