Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2020= Fountain Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2020= Fountain Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/11/2020 22:57:14   
  Starflame13

The sun crested the horizon, its rays glinting off steel armor and silvered weapons as they wove through Bren’s congested streets. Shouts and laughter rose above the excited babble, growing louder along with the crowds as more and more people filtered into the city. From strangers to old friends, visiting dignitaries to lowly cutpurses, lone travelers to entire families, all kinds were drawn by the Arena’s call. Children ran about underfoot while city guards attempted to maintain some semblance of order. Coins changed hands as veterans and newcomers alike scouted out potential competitors, debating this one's skill or that one's survival.

No matter the verdict, the Arena drew all of them onwards. Through the wide city gates. Across the twisted streets lined with shops and inns. Past grimy alleyways and grand courtyards tucked amongst the houses. Up and over the final bridge, along the cobblestones of Supplicant’s Way - polished smooth by the footsteps of pilgrimages past. To the entrance of the complex itself - a looming gateway that swelled to grant access to the tide of hopefuls and spectators surging through it.

And here, the crowd parted. Many streamed towards the sands, shoving and jostling against each other in the hopes of better seating. But the entrants found themselves alone. Whether led by unseen officials or by magic itself, the Arena tugged them forwards toward their fate. A destiny of bloodshed and carnage. A chance for one to stand victorious. A hope, however slim, of earning a Boon.

All that stood in their way was the Arena itself, and the greatest combatants the world had to offer.

Faint curtains of mist separated these halls from the rest of the complex, trailing damp and delicate fingers over the competitors as they passed through to the cool air beyond. Light came from a series of glowing orbs suspended along the ceiling, casting an ephemeral glow about the corridor. Rivulets of water ran across stone walls, carving rough trails into the otherwise smooth expanse of quartz and granite. Trails that grew and fed into a seething wall of water that blocked the path forward.

Fragility. Fluidity. Wreck. Ruination. The waters can reshape all in Fountain.

With an ominous rumble, the deluge of water parted to allow passage to the room beyond. Before them was an expanse of dead coral, roughened and pockmarked with holes and crevices. Puddles formed in uneven dips as water dripped down the walls, ridges of bleached white stone that twisted about themselves like branches of some long dead tree. The scent of decay, of rotting wood and long forgotten bones, filled the dank air.

Dim light swirled about the room, refracting through the barrier of water that formed the ceiling above. It filtered down in sickly shades of teal and azure, weaving with the motion of distant waves and causing shadows to ripple across the uneven floor in grotesque patterns.

The waters above spiraled and then plunged downwards, silently forming a whirlpool that took root in the very center of the lifeless reef. It shredded through the coral, flecks of water and debris scouring the surrounding area as it picked up speed. Pulling all caught in its grasp to a watery grave.

A sinister whisper filled the room, winding its way through every crevice to reach the ears of all below. “And so begins the Trial of the Vortex! Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/12/2020 17:51:39   
nield
Creative!

Sledaristan gazed down at the bustling city before her, then turned to look down at her companion beside her. “Stafa, shterestil? (Sorceress, is this it?)” “Shterestil stai, Stalos. (This is it indeed, Berserker.)” People ran about every which way, doing all manner of things, getting ready for what was to come. “Kas taka… Esh tekke kesteran… (It all seems… So utterly boring from here…)” A derisive snort from behind her, and she turned to look at her other companions, lounging on the grass by the roadside.

“Shprekel certeran skai, Zperan? (Something I can help you with, Warrior?)” “Spras takai. (Not a thing.)” “Stalos, sketen. (Berserker, focus.)” “Stel sketen, Stafa, stel sketen. (I’m focused, Sorceress, I’m focused.)” she sighed, turning back around. Stafa pointed, beyond the city, to the arena complex. “Azh tekara shtelen, stekaras tal astakan sti. Shpekala asta tekara zeltirow, eshtera sketil. (That’s the arena complex, which is where you’ll be fighting. We don’t know right now what arena you’re going to be in, so be prepared for anything.)”

Sledaristan breathed in a large lungful of air, and expelled it in an exasperated groan. “Sparos tah, mester ittil shtakelen ztorr patara, Stafa? Shpesh alta kakaran estil? (Okay but, why did we have to get here a full month in advance, Sorceress? Won’t that make it easy for them to find us?)” Stafa shook her head. “Staras pekaral zet, staras mekaratel se seten ki. Kekarai sproll skentino steffa, levaran mamanos kark tekara, retaran estilla mof mey kark kel. (They’re not idiots, they’d be fully aware of where we’re going at this point. The good news is they’re unlikely to expect you to be able to win, so they’re more likely to wait and see if you die in the Arena, or ambush you once you come out exhausted to kill you.)”

“Meres pretaratan eskala matares entel mekai spraken tekara, ceres ketilero antaresta memaraten? (But if they know where we’re going to be and are content to jump me after I come out of the arena, why are we settling down here to wait and not roaming around having a bit more fun first?)” “Mestaka cannan eshtoikolo mefaran ekal zen tel tek ganna rey. (Because you’re an idiot woman who’d do something stupid that would make them deal with you there and then.)”

“Azh… Eshkel ekanna nekaro, Vyelar. (That’s… not quite how I would have put it, Ranger.)” “Pakaron shkell nekon, Stafa. Spark alos nekan, heh. (His point is made, Sorceress. We’re both aware he’s probably right, heh.)” “Shyek allel tekaran mekai, nezzantara kakalo merai connon stiyel, parap pokanno coroio. (The problem really isn’t so much that you’re stupid, as much as you get easily carried away, which causes problems.)”

“Keskie, skatan. Azh sheren skinan kai. (Thief, thank you. That’s definitely a better way to say it.)” Sledaristan stretched, giving the city below her one last once-over. “Speseran stanata kei parapan, skenish tek defaran zetai ken. (I won’t spend all my time in the city, but I’ll go in every now and then to see what fun there is to be had.) “Stalos…” Four voices raised up as one, but she just gave them all a grin. “Skan tatai? (What could go wrong?)”

As it turned out, there was not a great deal of trouble for Sledaristan to get herself into. The five spent the majority of their time on plains nearby the city, hunting animals for food and resting beneath the stars, with their occasional forays into Bren yielding no interesting encounters. One time they went into the city however, was dramatically different; “Skarr! Stafa, skarr skel tatenekai! (Shark! Sorceress, I swear I saw a shark’s fin!)” “Stalos… Skarr netai. Mekal kerang. (Berserker… that wasn’t a shark. Can’t have been.)” “Skaran lefai nawaros skarr mafal! (I’ll chase it down and show you it’s a shark!)”

So she ran down waterways, after a fin that occasionally broke the surface, down alleys, across main roads, even through buildings on occasion, always chasing the fin. After a particularly snaking set of alleyways, the fin was a decent distance in front of her when it paused briefly, before the creature it was attached to heaved itself out of the water. Stafa and the others were speechless, while a grin that threatened to cleave her head full in twain spread across Sledaristan’s face.

“Skarr! Fekaharan sjetoi, Stafa! (Shark! That is exactly what I’m talking about, Sorceress!)” She whooped, as she closed in on the creature. “Stalos, Skarr netai! Skarr tatenos skelar rafan! (Berserker, that’s not a shark! Sharks DO NOT look like that!)” The thing’s tail thrashed against the ground as it seemed to consider the woman before it. “Stalos, retaran kanai Tekkon Skil! (Berserker, at least activate your Iron Skin!)” came a panicked interjection from Keskie, but Sledaristan didn’t see the need; “Unkaron yefray skarr porlan dedai nezar, Keskie. (If the shark was going to attack me it’d have done so already, Thief.)” she said, reaching out a hand to touch the beast’s flesh, wondering what it felt like.

Seemingly threatened, the monstrous shark recoiled from her attempted contact, assuming what seemed to Sledaristan like a fighting stance. The thought of getting into a slugging match with a shark- normal or otherwise- was exciting, but she was able to take a few calm breaths and felt her body harden. Suddenly words thundered through her mind, different from the usual language, but just as indecipherable. But alongside the words was a feeling; of curiosity, some sort of bewilderment: It wanted to know why she was not afraid.

She glanced at Stafa, but she just raised her arms in a baffled shrug; she had no idea about the language the beast was using either. Sledaristan hesitated. For the first time she could recall, she had a desire to communicate with a being other than the four she had spent her entire life with. “Stakaral… Pfegalan skiosh. Rekjatoi nelas tarof… Sparen tek tarekan kai veran skitil. (I just… Don’t really fear anything. That’s just who I am… Though you probably can’t understand me any more than I can you.)”

More words she couldn’t understand roared through her head, but again the feeling of an idea followed; of understanding this time. That they needed not speak the same tongue to have comprehension. Then another question; This time it wanted to know who she was. “Zhgyetal Sledaristan. (I am Sledaristan.)” A slight pause, then a storm of images raged through her mind, the hunters and the hunted, war throughout years and the sense of unyielding rage against the enemy, from both sides.

And she was confused, as she always had been. Through her own mind flashed her own recollections of being hunted by people who hated her and her kind for things that had occurred long before she was born. “Skatana ra, skelef teran yenai rakar, verana senai maraf? Kaz… kerafan, magan kenei sterez ketol? (I don’t understand, if you all can communicate this well, why not ever try to stop the cycle of hatred? Or… did you try, but it worked about as well as when I tried?)”

The beast was still, no words or images raged into her mind and she glanced askew at Stafa. “Stalos, akerel teran skarr cetal kelei veran tetal. (Berserker, I don’t think this monster shark ever once considered peace as even an option.)” Suddenly the beast turned on the spot. Sledaristan only just then realised that it was floating above the ground. Words came into her mind, but not as fiercely as before, as if they had struggled to even get out. Words and a name; Shinjri'shakraphrjat'shu'Sinaken.

That final message imparted, the creature dove into the canal and sped off. Sledaristan relaxed and felt her body ease up and return to normal. She turned to her companions, a silly grin once more upon her face. “Skarr retal netai. Pfekan teran skarr skateral melaran katanakai. Zhgetal skeren mekala Shinjri. (Not just a shark. A sapient monster shark with a name and everything. Think I’ll shorten it to just Shinjri though.)”

“Shaklen shtel shakeren keraf, matanna hekai toko rell, Stalos. (That was incredibly dangerous, not to mention reckless, Berserker.)” “Keskie, fetaran kazal kekai karazan. (Thief, I didn’t think you cared about my wellbeing.)” “Gatel feraf relaz, frekai sketez, starel tanden. (I’m being pragmatic, if you die, that’s the end.)” “Prakai. Tal, tarefal pekan ketano styeref mekel zenzai, kileffel mekas teren. (That makes sense. Well, I think meeting a fun new friend is enough excitement for one day, let’s get out of the city.)”

The day had come, a month of general boredom punctuated with the odd bit of excitement passed and Sledaristan strode through Bren with purpose, Styoio Kar in her hands and Tekkon Skil activated. As she walked she saw them everywhere; their pale grey tones standing out amongst the seas of more vibrantly coloured races. “Keranatai, Stafa. Ferim ketael kalaf yerezdai kelafen tekara. (They’re here, Sorceress. Here to see the last of the monsters draw her last breath in the Arena.)” “Warenk yanaz lifar tetil. (Or to make sure you don’t get more than two steps out of it.)”

“Stalos, teraffen yiriz hahafen litai nekaz? (Berserker, are you sure you shouldn’t have gone and signed up?)” “Keskie. Keterel Tekko Marf klefai kitil. Praken teref kezai. Lerefen zkirez pekanai mekel; Ket Marf ka. (Thief. The Earth Lord knows I’m here to compete. He guides my steps to where I need to go. The people of this city and their registrations do not matter; The Lords do.)” “Shkitanai, stef- (I’m sorry, it’s just-)” Sledaristan whirled- though the movement was slow- and stared down her companions. “Kefel kitiz mehan plafai, zhgyetal koz netai (You all might forget it most of the time, but I’m not actually an idiot.)”

She turned back around and walked, one foot in front of the other, following a path only she could sense. It led her down Supplicant’s Way, but where the crowds all went one way she was drawn another. She and her companions walked in silence as they came to the entrance of a hallway, with mist lazily swirling about the portal. They strode into the cool air, Sledaristan taking a deep breath as the sound of water running along the walls touched her ears. “Stafa, kerekel teretel tirif Kezai, kol keren. (Sorceress, seems like this one will be Water based, your element.)” “Keren nerai, kafel mirii peraz tarel, Stalos. (It might be my element, but you’re the one who is here, Berserker.)”

They continued down the hall, a distant sound of rushing water growing louder the further they went. Soon enough the source was before them; a downrush of water blocking the way forward. With one hand by the axe’s head and the other halfway down the shaft, Stalos swung Styoio Kar lightly a few times, as she heard her heartbeat in her head. She grinned; “Kretai azan, tenei serel paraffa. (It’s been too long, I’m looking forward to having some fun.)” “Werez kiz karan. (You’re going to die here.)” came a dry intonation from Zperan, but Sledaristan just chuckled.

The barricade of water before her parted and she strode forth into the large expanse beyond, her feet finding copious purchase on the rough coral underfoot. She looked around for Shinjri, hoping her fun new friend would be in an environment so suited for him, but there was no sign and she sighed, affixing her sight dead ahead on the great vortex in the middle of the room. She could see Zperan there, sticking his arm into the vortex. “Lirai kenan mar, poroffoi (What would that feel like, I wonder.)” she muttered under her breath. Stafa and Keskie were either side of her while Vyelar was just… missing.

A whisper snaked its way into her ear in that language she had never bothered to learn, but for once could understand regardless; “And so begins the Trial of the Vortex! Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!” The voice had distracted her from what her companions were up to, but she couldn’t dwell on what they were doing at any rate, so she strode forth and called out; “Kara rei! Pefel paraffa! (Hello everyone! Let’s have some fun!)” her voice booming around the arena as she raised her axe above her, glancing to the left and right, deciding who she would engage in battle.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
7/12/2020 23:58:41   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

“You’re certain of this?”

Lunas Kal cinched the buckles on his pack, double-checking one of the straps; he had mended it less than a week ago, after snagging it on a branch during a hike through the swamp. It seemed to be holding up fine, but the distraction gave him an excuse to avoid his caretaker's gaze as he responded. The truth was that he wasn’t very certain at all, now that the day had arrived, and while Lady Surlissa was good at many things, she was particularly adept at seeing through him. Nerves. That’s all it is, just nerves. “It… It’s something I have to do.” To his own ears the words were unconvincing, but it was easier to pretend otherwise if he didn't have to hold her gaze while he said them.

And it wasn't their first time having this conversation either. But today, with the ceremony looming ever closer... He felt small again, anxious. There was some irony to the feeling. After all, the Hirii Zen were not known for their imposing stature. And while Lunas was dark of fur and a little bulkier than the norm for his people, it was perishingly rare for him to encounter someone he didn't have to look up to. The young man managed that well enough though, peering out at the world with gold-ringed eyes that were unique among his age-mates. More usual for his clan were the rounded ears that topped his angular head, the right missing a notch courtesy of a training mishap - Lunas was vain enough to find the scar rather dashing, though honest enough to admit the conceit for what it was - and the fur-covered tail that was nigh as long as he was tall. That tail curled slightly behind him before the Hirii relaxed it with an effort of will, and the young man let out a slow, focused breath as he hefted the pack up onto his shoulder and stood. "It's important."

Surlissa smiled, the expression touched with a hint of sadness. The Kaarme Oph was not only his foster-mother, but also the ruler of Rangaista Swamp, ancestral home of her Rotu. She was slender and serpentine, nearly ten feet long from the crown of her hooded head to the tip of her tail, and her scales were black as jet. She was not all of one color, however, for along her spine and flanks the darkness was broken up by interlocking diamond patterns of royal maroon, still brilliantly iridescent well into her fourth decade. At the moment she was relaxed, resting politely on her coils while she considered her charge. It was a far cry from the towering, straight-back posture she adopted in the great hall, but that didn’t mean she was any less formidable. “The truth often is, and dangerous to boot.”

The Hirii eyed her hesitantly. She had taken care of him for as long as he could remember - longer - and he loved the Kaarme as if she really was his mother. But… How could he explain, how could he make her understand? It wasn’t simply going out, taking a place, declaring himself to the world at large. He felt… incomplete in a way he couldn’t quite express. Restless. There was more, and he could be more. He was tired of waiting, of standing in the shadows and watching. There were times when the need to do was so strong it woke him breathless in the middle of the night, his mind buzzing in anticipation.

Sleep had been hard to come by all Lunas’ life though, and he much preferred that strange feeling of foreordination to the nightmares that usually haunted his evening hours: chilling visions of blood-soaked villages lit by fires that ravaged their hovels. Screams that rang into a smoke-clogged sky. Blades that flashed in the dark. The charnel stench of burnt meat and ashen decay, of places stained and defiled. And over them all... a winged figure, glittering in the flame-light red as blood, laughing, always laughing.

Old stories, dead stories.

Or were they? Lunas’ family knew better than anyone how long a shadow the past could cast.

He startled slightly, pulled from those grim thoughts by the touch of Surlissa's hand on his shoulder. "I just..." His own hands curled into fists as he lifted his head, surprised to find his voice steady. “He’s out there still.”

The sadness in the Lady’s eyes deepened. “Lunas…”

“No, ema. Someone has to find him. Justice must be done.”

She sighed. “Is it justice that you want, or vengeance?”

“He killed my mother,” the Hirii Zen shot back bitterly. The words were hard, heavy, a weight in his belly and a tingling tightness through his chest. “I never had a chance to know her - or my father. I never knew either of them.” Lunas looked away, struggling to lower his voice, to breathe. “Sometimes revenge is justice.”

Surlissa rose up from her relaxed position with all the speed of a striking serpent. Her eyes flashed as she towered over him, the hood about her head and neck flaring open in agitation as she changed from foster-mother to Lady of Rangaista in the space of a breath. “They are not the same. They are never the same.” The Kaarme ruler visibly restrained herself, taking a moment to calm and settle slowly back down. “Lunas, your mother was one of the best and bravest women that I have ever had the privilege to have known.” She sighed again, fighting some internal battle. “In his own way, your father was braver.” Her eyes, a maroon as rich as the markings on her scaled hide, sought out his. “For his sake, I ask you one last time: Reconsider. Do not do this.”

Lunas was silent for a long time, staring at her, struggling. He loved her, he did, but it was always like this. The half-answers, the implied truths, the not-quite evasions about who his father had been and what had happened to him. The Hirii’s voice was quiet, pleading. He hated himself, loathed how weak he sounded. “Tell me, ema. Please.”

It was Surlissa who looked away first. “I’m sorry, pieni, but I made him a promise.”

More than anything - in that moment - he wanted to hurt her. To say something cutting, devastating. Why shouldn’t she feel, even if just for an instant, a fraction of the helpless pain her refusal caused him? Hadn’t he done all he could to help her over the years? Hadn’t he… hadn’t he been a good son?

The Hirii Zen squeezed his eyes closed, walling the unworthy feeling away. It was hard, so very, very hard, and he was so tired. But the Kaarme Oph had given him so much, and she had asked for little in return. Swallowing the hurt, he nodded once, just once, and hugged her. “I… I don’t want to fight, ema, but I have to do this.” The words were easier to say when he didn’t have to meet her gaze.

Her arms went around him strong and steady. “I know, Lunas. You wouldn’t… You’re too much your mother’s son for anything else.”

He knelt at the foot of the Lady’s throne, less than an hour later. The audience hall was filled to bursting; it wasn’t every day the ward of one of the Seekers took a quest-oath of his own after all, and it was rarer still that the surviving trio were gathered in one place. The heat and clamor was enough to make Lunas wish his foster-mother had insisted on a private ceremony. The crowd needs their show. He smiled, shielded from the view of the multitude at his back, almost able to hear Chen Han’s basso rumble of complaint in his head. The big, broad Vastaa Ail stood to his left with ursine stolidity, projecting a stillness the young Hirii knew was a facade. Chen Han had never been comfortable in crowds. More than Surlissa and Ravel, his fellow Seekers, the Vastaa had withdrawn from public life. He had assured Lunas on several occasions that he was more than happy to spend the rest of his days cataloging books and manuscripts in the atheneum being built in the new Union capital.

“Your whiskers itch, lohik?” The faint rasp of the gruff voice to his right turned Lunas’ grin sheepish. Ravel was a distinguished old Koira - a distinguished rogue to hear him tell it - who now served as advisor to the Council struggling to bring the fractious Rotu together into the Union. Advisor, in his own words, was a polite substitute for spymaster, but Ravel was the nearest thing to an uncle the young Hirii Zen had ever had. Lunas’ mother had taught the Koira to read during their travels together, and Lunas had spent long hours in Ravel’s study discussing old books and philosophies with the spymaster on sleepy summer afternoons.

The gravity of his uncle’s tone was somewhat ruined by the wink he tipped the Hirii. Still, the young man fought to wipe the smile away. “No, sir. No problem here.”

If Ravel had a response to that it interrupted as Lady Surlissa, resplendent in the deep crimson and gold robes of her station, flowed forward. She favored Lunas with the briefest of nods before schooling her expression to one of regal neutrality as she addressed the crowd. “Welcome, friends and countrymen. You do us a great honor. Rangaista is no short trip from the capital, and we draw great heart from your presence. Together, you make the Union strong.”

The Kaarme Oph glanced down at her foster-son again and permitted herself a smile. “Today, Lunas Jocta is no longer a child. Today he becomes a man, and he has expressed to us that he wishes to do so by swearing the Oath of the Etsija. He would become Lunas Kal, following in the path of Footnit Kal, who laid down her life so that we - all of us - might build a better future for our children, for their children, and for all children yet to come.”

Lunas Kal… A shiver ran down the Hirii Zen’s spine, one that owed nothing to his prior bout of nerves. It was the great unspoken secret between the surviving Seekers and the young man. Lunas Kal, the name he would have had... if only his mother had lived, if his father had not gone… wherever he had gone. There was, Ravel had once commented, no better place to hide than in plain sight, and the Etsija - those who wished to follow in the line of the Seekers - often gave up their family names, symbolically joining the dead House of Kal. Not that Lunas had been forced to this choice. This was what he wanted, what he had always wanted.

“Now, Lunas,” Surlissa intoned, dragging his attention back to her as the hall fell into an expectant silence. “Have you come of your own free will, neither coerced, nor compelled by any other?”

The Hirii took a deep breath, steadying himself and raising his voice to answer. “I have.”

“What is it that you seek?”

His tail brushed lightly against his ankle beneath his traveling cloak, the contact nearly making him jump out of his own skin as he struggled to focus. Breathe. Just breathe. You can do this. Taking his own advice, Lunas let the silence grow, filling his lungs and slowly exhaling for several seconds before responding. “I wish to join the Order of Etsija.”

“The Etsija represent the best of us, those sworn to serve the people, to defend them. Will you bear this burden: to put the people first, before your own wishes, before the desires of your heart?”

Lunas lifted his head, meeting his foster-mother’s gaze. For a moment he was reminded of what they had spoken of that morning… What he desired, was that what was best for the Union, for its people?

He believed it was.

The Hirii’s voice was strong and steady, rising over the silent throng. “Gladly.”

He believed that with all his heart.

Perhaps the Lady saw something in his gaze, because for a moment she hesitated. It was just that - only an instant - but he saw a welter of emotions flash through her eyes. Anger, hurt, sadness… and acceptance. “So be it.” Her voice was quiet, but she squared her shoulders as if preparing to lift a heavy burden and let her voice ring through the hall. “Who then shall stand as witness on his behalf?”

“I shall,” rumbled Chen Han, his voice grumbling deep enough for Lunas to feel it in his bones.

“And I,” Ravel concurred, the faintest hint of amusement in his tone.

“Then by our right as Lady of Rangaista, recognized by the Union of Rotu, we say that Lunas Kal is recognized as Etsija, a Seeker.” Her amethyst gaze held Lunas as she spoke. “Be curious, that you might search out the truth wherever it may be found. Be brave, that you might defend the weak and helpless. Be honest, that all might know your word is your bond. Be just, that the people will turn to you for succor. Be merciful, that even your enemies may know you are a good man. That is your oath.” For several seconds, silence reigned over the hall, and then Surlissa struck, a lightning swift forehand slap delivered with enough force to rock the kneeling Hirii back.

“And that is so you remember it.”

Lunas reeled from the blow, ears ringing as his mouth filled with the salt-ferrous taste of blood. It wasn't that he had expected his caretaker to hold back, but he certainly hadn't been ready for quite so much commitment either. “I… I will,” the young man husked as his uncle helped him up and the crowd erupted into cheers. Then again, if what he suspected about what Surlissa suspected was true… perhaps he was lucky to still be conscious.

“See that you do, pieni,” the Lady returned tiredly. “But you’re not leaving just yet; we’ve guests to greet.”

“That was a good day,” Lunas reflected wearily, breaking a stick and tossing half of it into the campfire. Flame danced and crackled, spitting and sending up a faint gust of sparks that danced in the evening air, the only answer to his words. His companion, resting nearby on the log that formed his seat, said nothing in reply. “She was unhappy with me… but what could I do?” The Hirii Zen shook his head. “The warlords are the greatest threat to the existence of the Union. And the Red Butcher is the strongest of them.” With a flick of his wrist he sent the other half of the stick tumbling into the conflagration. “He betrayed the Seekers, everything they were fighting for, and he… he killed my mother.”

He let his golden gaze slide away from the dancing blaze to settle on his mute confederate, whose continued reticence was no great mystery. After all, it was only an empty thing of polished bone; its shadowed, empty sockets stared back at Lunas in inscrutable silence. The Lohikaarme skull had always fascinated him growing up. It was old - ancient - a relic of House Jocta from the fabled time of breaking known as the First Nightmare. A good listener the horned helm was - and an able defender - though it had little to offer in the way of advice. Sometimes it was enough to talk things through, to give voice to his frustrations and plans.

Lunas snapped another twig in half, sighing as he looked heavenward. Other times though… Other times there was no substitute for someone who could answer back. The problem was that there was no one he could trust - and not just because he was so very far from home. That sent the Hirii Zen’s gaze back to the silent skull, and he bounced one of the split pieces off it. There was no heat in his voice, only tired speculation. “I wonder if she gave you to me as an apology. A sort of advance ‘forgive me’ for delivering that letter.” The idea filled him with a formless sort of discomfort, a discontent that was hard to express in words.

“She knew. Of course she knew. Do you really think that Ravel kept secrets from her, after all they had been through? Or that she kept secrets from him?” The Etsija shook his head, discarding the other half of the stick and reaching into his pack. It was getting late, and he was in no mood to do more than gnaw through a trail bar before trying to get some sleep. His nightmares had become notably worse over the last week, and Lunas had spent near as much time laying and staring up at the dark heavens as he had sleeping. More probably.

In some ways, the insomnia was preferable to the troubled dreams, and the Hirii supposed if he was going to toss and turn all night he might as well get an early start on it. Perhaps tonight would be different. Maybe he would drift off to slumber and wake up refreshed, rather than jolting awake in the thin hours just before the sun rose, panicked and on the verge of screaming. “I should be so lucky,” he commented to the skull as it watched him rummage through his pack. “It’s getting to the point that I feel-”

He stopped, biting off the remainder of his words as his hand encountered a familiar wad of vellum crushed down at the bottom of his bag. Lunas slowly withdrew the crumpled missive, smoothing it over his thigh as he hunkered by the fire. There was enough light yet, between the flames and the distant stars overhead, for him to read by, not that he needed to peruse the letter again. The Hirii Zen knew every word of it; he had gone over it more times than he could count.

The epistle had come from his uncle, and it had provoked a meeting that had rocked his world, upsetting everything he had thought he had known. His fingers curled into the vellum, crushing it up once more as helpless fury welled through his chest.“Silmat auki, Etsija,” Lunas growled to himself. Eyes open, Seeker. It was almost a taunt coming from Ravel, from a man who had opened his nephew's eyes to so much.

If only his eyes had been open. If only he could have seen. But he had been young, for what such an excuse was worth. Young and trusting. Young and foolish. Young and - Enough. The Hirii pushed his self-loathing down, staring at the rumpled missive in his hand. His golden gaze shifted to the fire nearby and he lifted the note, about to cast it into the blaze.

Something stopped him, as it had so many times before. It was a hope dark and angry: the childish dream of one day seeing his uncle again, of throwing the epistle at the Koira’s feet and telling him - telling them all - what he had done.

Ravel and Surlissa had raised him, but the Hirii had spent long hours with Chen Han as well. The Seekers had their secrets, and the Etsija, hidden child of their assassinated companion, could understand that. Taking a deep breath, Lunas folded the vellum carefully and slipped it back into his pack, fingers touching lightly on the spine of a slender volume he had stolen from the Vastaa’s grand library.

They could keep their secrets. He had his own: A book from a land far, far away. A book about Bren, about a chance to change everything.

A chance to set things right.

Perhaps it was resolution that helped him find sleep that evening, or perhaps it was only an ironic twist. In slumber the dream found him just as swiftly, and as the banked fire snapped and popped near where the Hirii Zen lay, the nightmare took hold.

“He has your eyes.”

Lunas was laboring up a long, forested slope, his heart pumping hard as he gasped for breath.

“Better he didn’t, better he was-”

“There are stranger things he could have gotten.”

The Etsija’s ears twitched, swiveling back to track his pursuit. They were drawing closer, crashing through the heavy underbrush amid the braying of hunting horns.

“I would rather he took after you.”

“Funny… Of all things,
that is what you would change.”

Here the grade was more pronounced and he slipped, whimpering; fear galvanized his limbs as his fingers scrabbled frantically in the loam. Arrows sang through the air, slamming into the nearby boles with humming malignancy. Questing digits closed around a gnarled root overhead and Lunas almost sobbed in relief, hauling himself up and skittering forward.

“It isn’t… I wouldn’t…”

“Some choices, my love, are not ours to make.”

The summit loomed above. So close… so far. Behind, he could feel the hunters drawing closer, the noose tightening as he burst from the thinning trees, but the young man knew he could make it. Hope gave wings to his feet as Lunas leapt and clambered over the rocks erupting from the previously arboreal soil. Something - an arrow? - slammed against his back with bruising force, staggering him into a boulder. Hit a plate… Glanced off. Keep moving! The Hirii kept his feet, wheezing and panting, heart in his throat as he reeled toward the standing stones that marked the crown of the cliff.

“He’ll never be safe.”

This time… This time he would do it, this time he would reach the stones. The Etsija knew it with the certainty that only comes in dreams and visions, and so he climbed, slid, clawed up the precipice amid a hail of whistling darts.

“Is that so different from us? From anyone?”

Beneath his fingers the stone was coming apart, crumbling away like a sandcastle beneath a rising tide. “No… No, no!” Lunas hurled himself up, dragging himself onto the cliff by main, manic force. The Hirii Zen heaved himself upright, reeling over uneven ground that bucked like a fly-stung horse.

“I suppose that you’re right...”

With a cry of mingled fear and exertion, the young man leapt, throwing himself at the crumbling, widening gap between the path and the crown of standing stones.

“In the end we all fly… or we fall.”

Lunas’ fingers grasped futilely at empty air as he began to fall, tumbling head-first down into a red-dark chasm where fire flared amid screams and howls of frenzy and pain. Wings, black as night, slick with blood, beat about the Etsija’s head as his ears were dinned with raucous, sinister laughter.

“Can you hear them, rat? Can you hear their screams? Let it all burn!”

The Etsija jolted awake, hand clenched around the hilt of his estoc. It rang from its sheath as he whirled up to his feet, slashing blindly. “Telan!” Turning, seeking, eyes blazing wildly, Lunas cried out in the ashy light of dawn. “Curse you, Butcher, I know you’re out there!” His chest heaved with frantic effort, heart hammering as his gaze searched for a target, a foe, a glimpse of feathered wings.

But there was no one. Only the Hirii Zen himself, and his silently watchful companion. The estoc’s tip wavered, dipping slowly to the ground and biting into the turf as the young man went down to one knee, bracing himself on the weapon’s guard and panting. He stayed that way for several minutes: eyes closed, the tightness in his belly loosening as he struggled to keep down a wave of acidic bile. Focus. Breathe. Think.

Think. That was it. He had to focus. Letting out a slow, measured breath, Lunas opened his eyes. The Etsija stared at the Lohikaarme skull for a long moment, golden orbs riveted to the unspeaking bone. Reaching out with one hand, he lifted the relic from its resting place, bowing his head and pressing the horned helm's osseous forehead against his own. “It… It was just a dream. Only a dream. Nothing but a dream…”

“You strap on your helm…” The voice sent a cold finger of ice tracing down his spine. “And it hides you - the real you. You become someone else. A Stranger, someone who can do the things that all of us know - deep down in our bones - need to be done. The things we're all afraid to do because we worry about what everyone else would think. So you put on the mask, and do what must be done. And when you take it off..."

The Hirii lunged abruptly to one side and hurled the skull in the direction of the voice; he rolled on into a defensive crouch, aureate eyes searching frantically again. No one. Still no one. But he had heard Sootfeather…

No, Sootfeather was a lie, had always been a lie, would always be a lie.

Regaining his feet, the Etsija winced and pressed a hand to his temple; his head was throbbing - a lancing pain beating in time with his heart. He kneaded vainly at the ache, but it proved stubborn, and eventually he gave in and raked his fingers down the side of his furred neck. Motes of dancing dust rippled up from the motion, borne away on the morning breeze. “You can tell yourself it was worthwhile,” Lunas mumbled to himself, the rest of the words his instructor had spoken. “That the cost was worth the paying. That the Other is to blame.” Of course you could. Always easier letting others bear the cost.

Tugging his estoc free of the ground with a grunt of effort, the Etsija sheathed it, reclaimed his pack, and then crossed the clearing. His confederate lay mutely at an angle, peering reproachfully from one empty orbit at the young man as he lifted it by one horn from where it landed after the hasty throw. The Hirii Zen tenderly brushed a few stray stalks of broken grass from the bone, and then stared once more into the vacuous sockets. “Will you hide me, old friend, one more time?”

There was no answer as Lunas turned the helm, fitting it snugly over his head and carefully doing up the straps.

There never was an answer.

But some things should not be taken for granted.

It took hours to reach the complex.

The roads were busy, but something about Lunas’ bearing parted the crowds before him. Helmed and hooded, the Hirii’s aspect was surely sinister enough for the average traveler to make way despite his short stature. As such, it would have been a swift journey, but for the unnerving suggestions of half-seen familiarity: A flash of light off dark scales, a wind-blown rustling of wings, the inexplicable scent of pungent lime. Each intruded demandingly on his pilgrimage, leaving him standing in the street and looking about himself in exhausted confusion.

It was impossible. They couldn’t have known. His foster-mother, his uncle, his old master-of-arms… Only Chen Han might have been able to hazard a guess, and only then if the Vastaa had discovered Lunas’ theft. One book out of a thousand others? No. No, it was impossible.

And yet, he felt the creeping sensation of eyes on his back as he weaved through the crowds. He heard whispers mixed in with the rippling water passing beneath the arches of the bridge. He glimpsed tantalizingly familiar figures carried along with the crowd coursing Supplicant’s Way.

Nerves. It was nothing but nerves.

And there was no time for nerves, so Lunas blocked it out, all of it. He focused on his feet, on the cobbles directly in front of him. One step at a time. Just keep walking. One step at a time.

He startled slightly at the touch of cool mist curling about him, condensing into dewy pearls along the hem of his cloak. When had… When had he become separated from the crowd at large? The press, the noise, it had all fallen away, replaced by the quiet, soothing sound of trickling water. A soft sigh escaped the fevered Hirii as the light, dim and diffuse where it reflected gently from the stone walls of the hall, melded pleasantly with the distant plip of dripping moisture patiently working away at its stone landing. He could feel the tension in his shoulders easing, the pressure that had been pooling between his eyes draining away.

For a minute, two, that was enough, and the young man stood in the passage without caring where he was or how he had gotten there. The sound of flowing water grew louder, as though he was approaching it. No, as if it was approaching him. After all, Lunas wasn’t moving. But he could feel it now, the rumbling vibration of a heavy deluge, the source of the misty curtain he had passed through.

It occurred to him, suddenly and bizarrely, that his bag was gone, and for a moment the Etsija tried to remember what had happened to it. Yet it was a distant curiosity, a sort of academic question, like the ones he and Ravel had used to debate: What had happened to the Lohikaarme? Was a man’s nature dictated at his birth, or a consequence of his upbringing? Was there such a thing as an unredeemable sin?

Alone in the semi-hypnotic rumble of the waterfall corridor, Lunas smiled at the memory. It… It hadn’t all been bad. Most of it had been good really. And yet… There had always been something missing.

He pushed the thought away and let his hands fall to his waist, lightly passing over his belt as he took inventory of his armaments: estoc, dagger, flail head, orbs… He had what he needed, regardless of where his pack had gone off to. More than those things though, he had certainty, an ember of glowing surety he had felt since he had sworn his oath. “I’m ready…” In answer, the flow of brawling water attenuated, parting like a curtain and opening the way forward.

The Hirii Zen stepped through the mist, shaking his head from side to side as he tried to clear his first dizzying impression of being underwater. Assuredly he found himself under water; the domed ceiling above was a disorientingly placed sea, as if the liquid had been wrenched heavenward by some unimaginable force to expose the dead reef below. The light filtering down through the reservoir above was wan, tinted cerulean and made fickle by motion as the water was drawn into an unnervingly silent whirlpool that dominated the center of the arena.

Lunas’ fur bristled as a nightmare voice slithered into his ears, a tone as cruel and mocking as the Butcher in his dreams. He gulped down air tainted with brine and decay, fighting reflexive panic as the swirling vortex-borne breeze tugged at his cloak.

“I’m not afraid. I am not afraid.”

His right hand unsheathed his estoc. His left drew out the trident dagger as he slowly curled his tail about his waist.

“I am Lunas Kal,” the orphan whispered to himself, “and I will make my mother proud.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
7/14/2020 20:00:37   
  San Robin
Modzerella

“Are you in or are you not” those words echoed through Rocky’s mind.
Another chance to meet his bestest friend in the whole wide world, to be with him on his adventures and on top of that, the chance to get out of this watery prison! “OF COURSE!” Rocky thought.
“Then it is done!” the voice echoed as Rocky felt the water swirl around his body sucking him into a vortex of darkness.

As Rocky came to, he noticed 2 things:
1. He was still in a body of water.
2. It was a LITERAL body of water.
Dazed and confused, Rocky looked around. He had no idea where he was but he knew it wasn’t the place he had called “Home” for eons. Was this the location of the mysterious tournament?
No… this wasn’t it, he had to move and somehow he knew exactly where.

After a couple of days journeying and trying out his new-found powers, Rocky found his destination. There were so many people there! and yet, nobody seemed to be surprised about the rock floating in a 6ft tall body passing by and while they paused for a bit, they would just continue to talk and laugh afterwards.

“I wonder if these people are here for the tournament as well?” He hadn’t finished his thought or he felt the presence of an unfamiliar person behind him. “Are ye here to fight in the tourney?” the person asked.
Rocky nodded. “Then ye probably should make yer way to one of the arenas, mate! It’s about to start!”. A ripple went through Rocky’s body, he had to hurry! His chance to go back to Joe depended on it! With a quick thank you and goodbye, Rocky left the kind person and headed to the arena.

Minutes later, Rocky entered the place his miraculous sense of direction told him he needed to be at. Once there he was guided to the right place.
Setting his watery food in the arena made his non-existent heart stand still. It looked, felt and even SMELLED like the ocean! Another Ripple went through his body “Why did it have to be the ocean?!”

After the initial shock, Rocky started looking around. He noticed multiple other strong-looking, mysterious creatures standing around what seems to be a giant whirlpool. So these were the people he’s supposed to fight? They look strong! But if there’s anything his buddy Joe taught him, it was that the harder the battle was… the more fun!

““And so begins the Trial of the Vortex! Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!”” an unfamiliar whisper… “Time for some fun!”, thought Rocky.
As the creature closest to him yelled something in an unfamiliar language, Rocky gathered his strength, courage and determination, and waved at the other contestants.

“Let’s have a great battle! I’ll be sure to shell out some damage!”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 4
7/16/2020 1:45:35   
Apocalypse

It...is an odd experience, I think, to wake for the first time and find a piece of one’s self staring back.

Caverron checked his pocketwatch and wiped his brow. Less than fifteen minutes until Storm’s Blessing opened its doors and the tavern hardly seemed ready. Chairs still rested on the tops of tables, the pleasant breeze enchantment had yet to be activated, and he still did not have inventory of his stock. How many barrels of each delight? Bottles? Dishes? They would be hard-pressed to run out of a product midday with no forewarning. “Where’s Rab?” he bellowed out, fingers tugging at his thick mustache. The portly man dabbed at his brow again as one of the barkeeps for the day gave a shrug and went back to setting up glassware. Was it always this bloody hot in here? Where is that infernal ma-person?, Caverron corrected himself. Almost two years of working with aer, and he still tripped on that distinction. He could hardly be blamed - his master barkeep rarely kept the same name two days in a row. Some part of Caverron swore it was an ironic punishment for his changing the bar’s name and theme each and every year. Well, it was a punishment well worth it; his annual “re-opening” brought in a tidy sum after the travelers left Bren.

A musician stepped around the tavern owner carrying what could only be described as a misshapen fiddle with far too many strings. Caverron shuffled to get out of the way, bumping into a table and knocking a chair to the ground with a thunderous crash. All eyes turned on him. He wrung his hands as his gaze swept across the room. “Can somebody please tell me-”

“Three quarter casks of the best, six rundlets of the good, ten hogsheads of the passable, and a full twenty-three puncheons of the swill.” Caverron yelped at the sudden whispers in his ear. He whipped around, his broad shoulder passing within inches of the pale face waiting behind him. Unflinchingly, mismatched eyes of coal and snow bore into him. Rab continued unabated. “Fully stocked in bottles, with the reserves filled to your specifications. Do you wish me to list them, or shall your memory suffice?”

“No, no that is quite...that is quite, all right,” said Caverron, catching his breath. By the Creator, this one would be the end of him yet. His heart still pounded from that little fright. Did his, er, aer eyes have to be so blank? Surely Rab could do something to make those pools of black and white a bit more lively and welcoming? He did not understand how ae could be so popular with guests bearing such a visage.

Caverron shook his head. Perish the thought. Rab was an oddity, and oddities brought in profits. “No, please. That is well and good. Just run the new hands through their assignments and rotations today.” Caverron glanced over to a couple of his new hires behind the bar staring at the shelves of drinks behind them. Neither one seemed close to noticing the tankard among the bottles not two paces from them. “Lords know they need it.” Rab gave one of aer trademark smiles that was just a hair shy of sinister before striding over to the bar. If any of those hands decided to pursue working at Storm’s Blessing after a day with Rab, their nerve would be wasted on slinging drinks. “Pull up those banners, today’s a special occasion!” he called out to an idle worker. “Don’t be stingy with those placements - I’m not wasting space storing them in the off season.” He grabbed a cloth from a passing server and swabbed the sweat from his face.

“And for the love of the Wind Lord, someone activate that blasted enchantment!”

“Four flagons, downwind!” called Layna, her voice only just cutting through the din of the crowd. The place was bustling with life as patrons were damn near stacked atop one another. Layna herself was pushed against the bar as a wayward elbow caught her in the small of her back. She stiffened, taking in a long deep breath before plastering on a strained smile. The better part of a decade at this place and she had yet to fly off the handle at a guest. But lords, she was always close when the championship was taking place. A slight breeze tickled her neck, doing the bare minimum of alleviating the heat trapped within her skin. How much had that oaf spent on this abysmal enchantment? Layna huffed. At least it was better than all of the animal bone fixtures from last year. Place had been a living horror show.

Her fingers drummed against the countertop. None of the new hands appeared to have heard her order. Caverron may as well have only hired the deaf for all their awareness. Her gaze wandered to the stage where musicians played in the downwind section, their music failing to even reach the bar over the yammering of the guests. A thin girl was making her way to the stage, as if stepping up to it. Some rabble rouser who had too much liquid courage and thought herself a gift to all. Probably had the voice of a seagull. Perfect. She pushed a slick strand of brown hair around her ear. “Four flag-”

Layna flinched as four tankards slammed on the countertop before her. Her eyes jerked back to meet a pearl and an opal gazing back over the brew’s froth. The crinkles at their edges betrayed the smile hidden behind the vessels. “You little git,” Layna said with a laugh. She had not even noticed Traven behind the bar, much less seen aer approach. “I bet you think you’re right funny, don’t you?”

She turned the flagons to have all the handles facing her, exposing Traven’s visage in the process. Gods, ae looks so young today. A fresh face, hardly an adult by anyone’s standards. One very free of the wrinkles and gauntness when ae had introduced aerself as Traven to her. Layna had yet to discover the trick to aer youthful appearance. It would be useful in her line of work.
“Amusing to some, an annoyance to others.”

Layna blinked as her thought was interrupted. “...what?”

“You asked me if I thought I was funny,” Traven replied, aer voice calm and neutral in spite of the cacophony around them. “I don’t think I’m funny today. Today, I am amusing to some and annoying to others.” Traven tilted aer head to the side. “Which am I to you?”

“Right now, both.” Layna braced herself as she gripped two handles in each hand. Little bleeders, why did Roderick and his cronies have to order the biggest drink in the place? “But bad news - we’ve got a brave one near the stage. A copper to you if she doesn’t start cawing soon. I’ll handle her-”

“Actually,” Traven cut in, aer voice suddenly close to her ear. Layna’s hand flew to her chest. When had ae swept under the counter? And how? She swore there had not been standing room next to her a moment ago. Traven caught the flagon she had almost knocked over. “Allow me.” Taking the drinks from her, the pale figure disappeared into the masses. Despite not working a day on the floor since ae was hired, Traven weaved through the crowds as if born to do so.

Layna allowed herself to close her eyes and take a breath. Traven always had an extra pep in aer step when ae looked young, but also was a touch more brash. Was that part of aer gimmick, or did Traven actually feel younger when ae looked it?

Either way, she would have that trick of aers yet.

“Sing for us, birdie!” shouted Roderick, clapping his hands towards the girl approaching the stage. He and the rest of his trading partners had managed to nab a table just a short distance from the music. The four of them were able to drink to their hearts’ content with Layna serving them, and they were making good use of their fortune. Barty, the behemoth of a man that he was, let out a belch worthy of his size. Roderick laughed and gave his friend a slap on his meaty arm. He could always count on Barty to hold his own when they went out. Raising his own flagon to his lips, he met the disinterested gaze of the Perelle brothers across from him. They were not identical, but between their short orange hair, lanky frames, and freckled faces, one could not be blamed for thinking them twins. Drinks untouched, they managed to look uncomfortable in spite of being among the select few not standing. Roderick took a hearty swig. Paten and Deren were not the most entertaining of fellows, but his pelts benefitted too greatly from their caravans. Besides, what they lacked in shining personalities they made up for in listening skills.

Slamming his now empty flagon on the table, Roderick burped. Nothing to write home about - it was a poor follow-up to Barty’s display. But it was never bad to seem less barbaric than one’s companions. He wiped the froth from his mouth and craned his neck. Layna was truly a wonder on the floor, but it never hurt to look expectant. The first business trick to master was to always have employees think they could do better.

“Where’s the strange man?”

Roderick blinked as he turned to Paten. “Wha-”

“The strange man. You said quite the oddity worked here. I was hoping to meet him.”

Roderick gave a small shake of his head. “Ahh, right. Olmic! Or Omon. And probably a few other names, too - he changes them constantly. He works behind the bar.” He forced a smile. Did Paten honestly want to make a go at the bar right now? Roderick glanced at the throngs of people pushing against one another as politely as social etiquette allowed in order to gain a barkeep’s attention. Did he really want to risk losing their prized seats for that? “But I don’t see him. Perhaps he works a later shift.” Conveniently when the crowds clear a bit, Roderick thought to himself. Looking to lose the conversation, Roderick turned back to the stage where that thin girl stood facing the rest of the patrons. He cupped his hands together. “SING!”

And sing she did.

He had expected some sweet lullaby, perhaps even an operatic melody if she had some training. No - this harmony was something else entirely. It was quieter than the music from the previous players and yet reached his ears with far more ease. The cadence of her breath fell and rose with each of her words, fillings his senses completely and drowning out the dissonance surrounding him. The birdie really can sing. Roderick struggled for breath. When had it become so stuffy? That magical breeze had been doing him wonders but now seemed so insignificant. He tugged at his collar and turned back to his fellows. Barty had his head down on the table, his bald head glistening with sweat and fat fingers stuffed in his ears. A thick vein pulsed on his temple. “Hey Barty, you’re all right, you’re all right.” Water. Good ol’ fashioned water. Roderick turned back to the Perelle brothers, heart racing. “Have you seen....”

He trailed off as he saw their wide eyes, beady little pupils darting back and forth across the room. Deren’s knuckles were white as he gripped the table. A thin trickle of blood dripped from the corner of Paten’s mouth from where he was biting his lip. The two looked to be a hair’s breadth from fainting. “What is going on?” He tried to push his chair back, but the crowd was too dense - he barely moved an inch. “Help! Someone, help!”

Four flagons clanked in front of him, delivered by a man of devilish pale skin and a wicked smile.

What was that melody?

Ae had seen the wisp of a woman heading towards the stage. She looked so small, so timid, so fragile, and yet was heading for the single spot where all eyes could be on her. Little about this place intrigued aer anymore, but this whisper...she was worth at least a gander.

Oh, how ae had been rewarded.

The tightening in aer chest, the pulling on aer heartstrings...what a wonder to feel something in the midst of such drab mediocrity. Ae resisted the urge to launch aerself into the crowd, to bash patrons over the head with flagons and haul them by the hair out the door. Aer breath quickened of its own accord.

What was she? Ae twisted and slipped through the beginnings of a heated argument between a couple. A siren? A trickster? No, no could not be. Ae ducked beneath a half-hazardly thrown arm. Too simple, too obvious. Dancing between discordant shuffling, ae arrived at the table in the downwind section. The regular, Roderick, was screaming his lungs out and his companions did not seem any better. With a thud, ae dropped the flagons on the table and not on their heads as the melody tempted.

“Oh Omon!” Roderick clutched onto ae’s forearm, his nails biting into aer skin through the cloth. “Thank you thank you thank you!” He gestured to his companions around him. “Barty’s head ain’t so good, and the boys are shook! Something’s up and funny in here!” Ae looked over to the not twins, their eyes darting all around the room but taking nothing in. Ae did not see anything funny about this at all. What an odd turn of phrase that had become. “Barty needs water, and the boys need some air.”

Ae looked over the sorry lads, scratching aer chin. That doesn’t seem right. No, that would not fit today.

“Omon!”

Ae met Roderick’s gaze, and the rowdy man shrunk in his chair. Ae clicked aer tongue. “Micol.”

“I...what?”

“Micol today.” Yes, Micol Dhon will do. Ae tapped aer fingers on the table to an unheard tempo. The woesong was surely reaching its end. “But I do have an answer.” Expectant eyes stared up at aer in gratitude for deliverance from this melody. Imagine wanting this to come to an end.

“Well? What is it?”

A smile spread across aer face. Micol leaned forward. “Give in.”

A furrowed brow, a mouth agape. Micol smiled as ae swept aer arm across the table. The flagons clattered onto their sides, the foamy brew dousing Roderick and Barty’s ruffled shirts a deep red. They rolled across the wood and disappeared off the far end of the table. Roderick stumbled to a half-standing position, balancing awkwardly with a leg on either side of his chair. “Omon, have you gone bleedin’ mad?”

“Oh Roderick” Micol put a hand on his now soaked chest. “If I have, wouldn’t I be the worst person to ask?” Feeling the sway of the melody, Micol pushed. Roderick tumbled backward, feet high in the air as chair and man tumbled over one another. Micol sighed in content. How delightful. Ae cut towards the stage, this time making aer presence known. The melody had faded but that burning in aer chest was still bright. One patron was tripped, a second given a forceful shove in the back, and a third had the misfortune of being pulled to the ground by her hair. Striking as a storm but moving as the wind, Micol was gone before the guests could catch sight of their silent assailant, smile beaming on aer face.

The crowd broke as Micol neared the stage, where the woesinger had been joined by another. Orange eyes seemed to glow from beneath the newcomer’s cowl. She was busy binding an apparent wound on the woesinger. This one was far more plain in both appearance and dress, allowing her to all too easily disappear into the crowd. Which begged the question: why was someone, who so painstakingly tried to look ordinary, causing such a scene?

“I must congratulate you!” Micol said with a flourish of aer hands to the ceiling. “You have granted this wayward soul the most excitement ae has seen in aer time here!” Micol gave an exaggerated bow before looking up with that unnerving smile of aers.

“Now tell me,” Micol continued as ae stood up. “What purpose did that melody serve?”

The woesinger seemed to shrink with the sudden attention, her face blushing as she mumbled a response. A hundred pairs of eyes upon her and she breathed beauty into the air itself. A solitary direct question and she was but a shrunken violet. What drives you, little one? What vexed emotion spurs you to spin chaos yet retreat from a gentle word? Micol dropped to a knee to level aer gaze with hers. Absolutely unremarkable in appearance...except for those eyes of silver. A rarity, though not unheard of. Micol was sure ae had seen eyes like those before. Then again, Micol was certain ae had witnessed most of what this land had to offer.

The orange-eyed woman spoke next, bestowing reassurance to their now mutual companion. And what of this one? She who had been immune to the woesinger’s seduction, plunging forward instead of drowning in the chaos beholding the hearts of all those around her? Micol watched her wrap the wound with upmost care and perfection. But something else besides good will lingered in those eyes. A hunger held at bay, like a wolf denying itself a meal. Was this the work of the woesong, or something that lurked deeper in the woman?

Such fascinating creatures. So simple, yet so intricate. Perhaps Micol had already met others like them in aer previous lives, but that did not diminish the excitement now pounding within aer chest. Perhaps the woesong had not purged itself from aer heart, but if this was the song’s will then so be it. Ae would dance to its beat this day.

“Tell me,” Micol said, inching closer until ae could feel the girl’s breath brush aer cheek. “I came to this city on the promise of splendor. Of a battlefield where warriors from across the land sought to impress the gods themselves for the honor of a single wish.” Micol licked aer lips. “I watched. I witnessed. I was left wanting. A bloodbath where most survived and the winner walked away with some faint flowing hair. A parlor trick when I was promised wonder.

“For the last year, I’ve been waiting. Back then, I did not know for what, but today your song gave me an answer as to what I seek.” What I can hope to find in this den of believers. “Where shall you next perform? A voice such as yours deserves to be heard by all.” Micol stared into that scared little face, those eyes of silver daring to stare back. Do not disappoint, little woesinger.

And lo, she did not. She fumbled through her words, gushing forth far more answers than she had been asked. Yet in the midst of her clamor, the woesinger gave the one answer Micol sought.

Ae grinned.

“Then it is settled. If I am to hear you again,“ Ae stood up, “I shall have to join you. Farewell, and may whatever gods you worship take pity on you.” Micol turned to leave when the orange-eyed one addressed aer, asking what name she should use. What name indeed. Ae looked over her shoulder. “You may call me whatever you see fit. But today, I choose to call myself Micol Dhon.”

Without a second glance back, ae departed into the crowds. The inclinations did not burn in aer chest this time - the woesong had long since ended. Micol slipped through arguing patrons and more than one scuffle. Such matters were beyond aer now. How blind ae was to have almost wasted another year here. The city changed but its people were the same. Every cycle of the seasons only brought in one fluctuating factor: the contenders themselves. Micol had been foolish to try to understand the Elemental Championships by living among the residents of Bren. To truly understand something, one must live it.

Micol could hear Layna’s voice calling for aer, cursing as ae made it to the door. Ae did not look back. Ae was quite done with this tavern already.

Besides, Death might finally catch up to aer this day.

The waters parted as Micol passed through the portal to the fountain. A nice little detail, though such a phenomenon could be the work of an enchantment and not the arena’s supposed consciousness. Ae let the thought slip from aer mind. Better not to dwell on what had no bearing on the fight to come.

The brine was the first to catch aer attention. Micol froze as the all too familiar beckoning of the ocean wafted over aer. Only saltwater to be sure, but that did not settle the swelling in aer chest. Micol had been away from the ocean too long. Perhaps once this was over, ae would return, if not for a short while.

Assuming ae lived long enough to do so.

Only after the longing passed did Micol notice the fountain’s most extravagant manifestation. A column of water swirled in the center of the arena, daring any to challenge its might. Aer gaze trailed its body upwards to the ceiling where it spread out to coat all in its grasp. Or did it? Micol’s sight did not penetrate the deep blue to see what lay on the other side. The corner of aer lips pulled up into a smirk. So much water at aer immediate disposal...perhaps providence was to thank for this day.

Others joined aer now, a motley array of gathered warriors and wishbound adventurers. Among them stood a giantess with a crown of rock, a draconian with broad wings, an elemental, a scarred elder, a silver-haired human, and an anthropomorphic vermin. A skaven? No, the skaven were from a continent long since drowned. Was that my doing? Micol bit aer lip. Ae was certain ae had been called Landsinker once upon a time. Funny how some details, now matter how great, eroded away in the flow of eons.

No matter. That knowledge would hardly save aer in the fight to come.

The supposed voice of the arena rumbled its command, and a select few of the other combatants shouted their desire for combat but made no movement. Micol sighed. There were few constants that passed the test of time, but there was one that faired better than it had any right to: demand bloodshed, and suddenly everyone minded their manners.

“The downtrodden and the desperate,” Micol shouted, throwing aer spear straight up towards the watery ceiling. A moment’s focus and Micol could feel the stone weapon as clear as ae could feel aer own arms and legs. Exerting aer grasp, the spear and the wielder pushed against one another as the force binding them together ripped them apart. Micol’s knees shuddered under the impact, but the Burden of Heaven was far lighter. It launched even higher upwards and slipped into the pools of blue beyond. No resistance. Finally - a detail that could save aer life later. Spinning on aer heel, Micol reached into aer robe and produced a strange sai weapon imbedded with a blunt wedge on the end. “The lost and the lonely!” Ae hurled Wane at the scarred elder and extended aer hand. With a thought Micol pushed the weapon against aer, accelerating the blade in its flight. “The forlorn and the forgotten!” Micol continued aer fluid motion, producing the twin to the thrown sai. The white Wax mirrored its partner, thrown and pushed at the vermin combatant on Micol’s other side.

“Tell me your stories!” A jagged smile split the pale face. Micol held out aer hand and caught the Burden of Heaven, twirling it over aer head before slamming the tip against the coral ground.

“Show me why you fight!”

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
7/16/2020 17:34:40   
Starstruck

She was upside down. She was upside down and she was falling, falling, from a height that only seemed more dizzying the longer she fell. Her wings flailed uselessly. Her claw-tips slid smoothly across the membrane of her furled wings as she fell, finding huge ragged gaps between each and every webbed finger. Tears streamed from her eyes as she hurtled, end over end, praying that she could right herself and glide for just a second. All the while an endless stream of names forced themselves through numb lips, all WRONG. They were all wrong, and she couldn't remember the names. She couldn't remember their names. She couldn't remember their names. She couldn't rememb-

Agiara sat up with a yelp that startled the guard on watch duty. She heard his foot scrape against earth as he jumped, and then the flaps of canvas moved as he entered her tent. "My lady, Agiara, priestess - do you have need of assistance?"

She held a palm to her pounding temple. "I am unharmed, Hiboko, I was simply...I had a horrible nightmare." She offered a wan smile. "But all nightmares end. My mind has weathered the North Wind's evil storm, and come out stronger for it."

The guard's weight shifted, skeptically, but his feed slid together with a soft clank. "I see. Thank you, Agiara. Your wisdom is as great and expansive as the skies above. Our tribe is blessed to have your direction." He bowed, leather shifting, and turned to depart, heedless of the tightening of the skin around the priestess' jaw. The young lack subtlety, she reminded herself. Her guard meant no insult. Idly, she felt about for her file, and began to test and resharpen her talons. The rasping of the file rang out inside the hot tent, and in just a few short minutes she had tossed it aside. Her mind rambled again in song, as if to prove that she knew the names of the Winds perfectly. Was the nightmare a portent? Or simply strung nerves on the eve of battle? Her head bowed in prayer. She had no choice. She would have her sight, or she would die.

The tent rustled. A maid-servant, carrying a clattering tray. Agiara smiled pleasantly, banishing the heavy thoughts from her mind, and tasted the air. "Thank you, sweet one. The tea that is brewed from gathered mushrooms from the wide forests beneath the mountain; as you know, it is my favorite. Your kindness is surpassed only by that of the wind that blows from the West."

Her caravan was brilliantly adorned and made of nothing but the most expensive materials, but, as was customary for the kin of dragons, exceedingly private. Their path wound through the streets of Bren like a forest-viper, the heavy silk sheets of her palanquin rustling softly with each step. At last, the priestess had arrived at her destination. As she stepped out, claws meticulously groomed and encrusted with crystals, iridescent scales gleaming in the sun, she held her head high, censer dangling low across the ground, and made her entrance. Alone.

Agiara could feel the transition from sun to shade, from shade to rain. Her left hand stretched out and cupped the air. The brazier in her right hand tasted the ground as she stalked through the short corridor, rasping over smooth stone flooring with gentle, easy swings. A few times, the marble cracked against wall, and she steered her course appropriately. Her head lifted, and she inhaled deeply. Water. The ocean? A barest hint of salt spray. Foul scents of men and beasts. A part of her relaxed. There could be no more than a few competitors here. Killing one would mean something; allying with another would mean still more. Another part of her tensed. There would be no hiding, no skulking, no waiting. The atmosphere was clear enough proof of that. Whatever mind lived within the Arena walls desired lives to end, and for all the power of the Winds, there could be no denying its request.

Water splashed against her censer and rang through her ears, and the marble scraped against rough and lumpy stone. Agiara groaned, audibly, and halted in front of the waterfall. The censer dropped from her hands. She crouched, and wrapped her hands around her face, and began to weep. It's not fair. It's not fair. It's notfair notfair notfairnotfair NOT FAIR. Her fist pounded against the rough, pitted stone.

A whisper wound its way into her head, provoking some thought she knew she hadn't come up with herself. She snorted. Trial of the Vortex? No. This is the Trial of Fear. The Trial of Falling. I fear no current. I fear the cracks and crevices beneath the surface of the water.

All at once, the tears stopped. Her hand found the chain of the censer, and her thumb brushed over its polished marble. Two fingers rubbed the edge of her silk robe. Her beautiful things. They would protect her. Unbidden, her mind began to sing the names of the winds. She rose to her feet, and took three unsteady steps through the waterfall, taking care to preserve the tiny flame within her censer. Her tongue flicked out. Some acrid scent came to her from the right. Vermin, and a pungent tang like sun-bleached jerky that had been forgotten. The priestess' tongue rasped unpleasantly off her teeth. Disgusting. Voices rose, and calls to battle were heard; Agiara took a faltering step forward into the center of the arena and immediately tripped, one toe-claw caught in some awful hole, her wings flaring to keep her upright. I curse this rotten floor! I curse it in the name of KHAAI, THE ONE WHO STEALS THE TAIL-SHADOWS OF UNREPENTANT THIEVES. Her nerves grew sharper, her eyes tightened, and her censer scraped across the floor once more, sloshing through the shallow pool of water. She found its movement hypnotic and comforting as it swayed back and forth like a pendulum.

Her next steps were careful and slow, but far more stable. Shifting her weight with each stride, she made her way a few feet to the center of the arena, where the sounds of rushing water intensified. Her wings, half-furled, began to rise, her lips pulled back into a snarl, and her ears strained to pick up the sounds of an oncoming attacker. All the while, back and forth, the censer swung.
DF MQ  Post #: 6
7/16/2020 19:39:14   
Sylphe

It was a long, long time since the Witch has last had a companion. It had always been just her and Thu. No one but the waves and the men foolish enough to ask her for a favor. For a potion to make women fall for them. For luck, for money. They always asked something of her, even if it was just that she might leave them alone.
But this child was different.
She had met her not too long before reaching Bren, maybe a day’s worth of travel on foot, but much less on a flying shark. Though she found out quickly that she was more than willing to sacrifice the comfort of her back and bones for a partner, if only for a couple of hours and exchanged words and jokes.
She had enjoyed this little fox’s gentle nature and view on the world, the way the air seemed to feel just a little friendlier than the scorching summer heat when she was around. Mia asked no questions. Where they were going, was a place many never came back from. It was a difficult choice, and she understood the need of others to not speak of what brought them here, at the edge of their limits.
It was Taria who asked first.
“So, what brings you to Bren in the first place?”
It was obvious, was it not? There was no other reason to come to Bren than the championships themselves. No, the question was deeper than that.
“If you haven’t been to Bren, haven’t really been anywhere!”
Mia gave that one a light giggle, which seemed to be enough for the little fox. Besides, she was right. It was a saying. It was a place she hasn’t been to, one of the very few places on the map left untouched.
“And me and Thu have been travelling for our whole lives, it would really be a shame if, at the end of the day, we haven’t been anywhere at all.” That was… because there was no reason to visit Bren. No reason until you had a wish so desperate you’d give your life for it. It was why she sounded concerned when she spoke again, despite already knowing Taria’s answer.
“What about you? Don’t tell me you’re here to join the championship, dear,”
She was so young. Too young to already suffer through so much. Or have suffered through so much to entertain fighting here.
“I intend to go places, too,” Taria started, her tone less tranquil than what Mia had been used to. “And besides, it’s not as if I’m going there to watch.” Mia nodded, watching her companion turn to the sky. She didn’t join, instead going over the question Taria had asked.
What do you think it will be like?
She remembered battles. The rain, the slippery wood reeking of decay, Helia dancing in a deadly whirl against swords of ungrateful men who thought themselves to be in the right.
She remembered light, blasting and brilliant, searing through her skin as she was unable to defend herself.
She sighed.
“Well, to be fair? Blood, pain, and death. Tales of champions reaching their wish are a lot different from up close.”
She did her best to smile as she met Taria’s gaze again, a frown shifting into a smile and even a grin.
“Though, If you’re here, you know all the risks, don’t you? Who am I to patronize. I hope it’s at least fun.”
The battle hungry grin softened as she heard Taria spak again, her voice soft and ringing almost like distant chimes.
“You’re free to answer as you wish. I was the one who asked you, after all. Though yes, I do know the risks. I’ve had my own few exposures to death and- well it’s far too late for me to turn back now.”
Her companion’s breath seemed to go uneven for a second.
“I just want to understand, I suppose. War for sport is such a foreign idea to me. Especially when each death is a wish unfulfilled.”
Mia let her thoughts trail. She understood the little one’s viewpoint. After all, she has had it for quite a while, though… she had since learned that the wishes of others were oftentimes foolish, and that others barely knew what they truly wanted. It was an angry chain of thoughts. Many times a potion or a blessing from her had turned on its head after being misused. Many times a true wish worth of listening to had been silenced, and never listened to.
Perhaps she should listen. Perhaps…
Taria’s question threw her out of her thoughts, stunning her.
“Is it alright if I ask what your wish would be?”
No. That was the short answer.
“It is, of course it is. I wish…”
This time it was her who looked up. Her voice suddenly losing its warmth. It was cold, and as much as it sounded what it should have sounded like, the excitement of devotion, it was something else. It was uncertain, and it was hollow, though the smile and cheery, sing song tone never left.
“Well, I’ve been here for a long time, dear. I wish to show my appreciation of Lady Celeritas, and all that she’s done for me in my years.”
What she’d done… Mia looked back at Taria, with a smile that was just a little too polite.
“Do not worry about me, I’ve lived a good life, though…”
Her eyes finally got out of their haze as she looked over the young girl in front of her, feet planted in the chilly spring rushing under them. Many years to live, just as much to lose. Opportunities to live her life better than she did.
“You have all of your years ahead of you, what wish brings you to risk them all?”
She was not sure if she had broken a boundary she could not see, as her ward flinched, seeming to recoil at her own words, before steeling herself. Mia did not like it the tiniest bit, though she was not sure what to do. Not having lived with people, young or old, she understood sharks, but not when it was a good time to offer a comforting hand. Thu did, however, and the huge whale shark stopped in their tracks of playing in the spring to sail behind Taria, their movement whipping up the tiniest breeze as they did. They hovered there, not touching, as they too, were not used to people and didn’t want to cause discomfort. They hoped their presence was enough.
“There are people that I haven’t seen in a long time. I really miss them, and I was hoping- I was hoping that maybe if I won, that I could see them again.”
Taria finally said into the quieted atmosphere.

The evening before the start of the Championships had always been busy with celebration. Pubs were full, and you could hear both their residents‘ yelling and music in the busy streets, all the way to late night, or perhaps early morning, when the fireworks finally ceased their roar and gave way to the vast, glittering stars above.
But it wasn’t till sunset when some residents would notice that the stars that should have been hidden by the sun are still there, falling to the ground like sparkling snow. Many early birds in Bren (mostly those who weren’t sleeping away the worst headaches of their lives) opened their windows to this sight, as well as a shadow looming above. And then a breeze as it rushed past, leaving only the liquid bits of starlight on their roofs and windowsills, making their plants shine with sparkly dew they have never seen before.
They would bloom in different colours and shapes than their owners were used to next year.
Mia knew this. Just like she knew about dramatic entrances, her countless bags and bottles ringing as Thu, the shadow, the menacing whale shark, slid through the air like a fish through water, swimming over Bren’s rooftops and diving into the cobbled streets just above the people’s heads, catching gasps of awe as well as those of surprise and fear. The witch poked her head out from the shark’s back, grinning at the pedestrians below, and giving them a wave. Even though it was the early morning, Mia was far from being the first to be registered, she realized, as Thu zoomed over the thickening crowds. That wasn’t a problem, she had prepared something nice for the occasion. After all, the more people to see her alchemy, the better, no?
“Let’s make a splash, old man!” She said, hurrying to the shark’s fin, giving those walking through the busy city quite the sight of a short, old granny running around on a flying whale. She knelt, and in one swift motion, untangled the beaded ropes holding Thu’s saddle bags closed. And as the shark danced and rolled barrels in the air, he carried behind him a trail of light blue fog, glittering with golden shimmer not different from the sun hitting the waves of seas far, far away from Bren.
Mia held on to her familiar’s fin with the courage of a lion as they made certain they reached the limit in shark speed aerodynamics allowed, laughing all the while, perhaps even yelling. Only when they finally decided that they have circled the crowd enough times and started gracefully descending, had Mia revealed another little trick, and reached into one of the bags for a bottle, releasing little bubbles of vibrant cerulean, who soon formed fish ghosts swimming in the remaining glitter, which dispersed into the crowd, giving the queue for registration something to pass the time, and perhaps even luring some potential opponents out of the area entirely.
After all, it is many times that a witch’s work has more meanings than just one. Just like the entrance that allowed for an easy passing through the waiting crowd once she jumped from Thu’s back in a way just a little too graceful for someone of her age. She waded through the line like a pike in a river, showing those unwilling to let her through a glare that easily let them know that moving aside is just their better option if they do not want to end up bitten. She had no such glare for children and the like, though, grinning at those and patting their heads, and even reaching into her pocket to pull out sea glass marbles to pour into their little hands. It was just then she reached the registration counter. She smiled gently when the person at the counter, old and undoubtedly wise, but younger than the witch, asked her for her name.
“Mia, the witch of the Lighthouse, dear.” There was a certain amount of drama involved in her saying the title. She had to make sure it was heard by everyone in the immediate surroundings of course. That will send the whispers going, and no matter how much she had always claimed to be happier alone, with just Thu and the sea and the sky, attention sure felt nice.
“I’m assuming-” The man began, before Mia cut him off, the smile growing sharper.
“Oh, no. I’m not a fan of assuming.”
He grew pale under the strange spark behind the sea glass glasses, the golden eyes appearing much more like the spattered gold of a sunken ship than the usual warm bronze shade.
“Light, darling. Come on. Write it down.” She watched the shaking hand scribble on the paper before quickly going over it, finding it to her approval, and giving the man her brightest of smiles.
“Thank you!”

Thousand’s flight was becoming heavier and quieter. Even though the shark had never been able to utter a sound, the silence now was heavy, and noticeable. It was when they finally reached the outer reaches of the arena where Mia wordlessly asked for a descent, and they provided.
Just as springy as before, she left her friend’s back. She had never travelled with a saddle, no matter how rough the travels got. She had no time for comfort, she always thought.
Though, now, she would appreciate it. In a way different than a padded saddle.
“This is where we part, dearest of my heart.” She said, a hand brushing on the familiar’s rough, star speckled skin. She scratched them behind their gills. It was just their gaze, staring right into hers, deeper than any sea she ever sailed. And there’s been a lot. With them. With her partner.
They decided to break this moment by bopping her forehead with their snoot. She laughed, quietly, and pressed her head into it.
“Oh, don’t think about it so grimly. Do you think I’m going to die?”
She lifted her head, and quickly wiped a single tear rolling down her cheek, before throwing her arms out. “Now THAT is an insult, Thu! Do you think I asked myself that when fighting the southern kraken? Huh? Do you think I had time for that? No! I was getting tentacled!”
The shark shook, a fluid motion that she understood as a laugh. The sadness was there, she knew. Thu did not want her to enter. Thu always knew better.
Thu always knew better.
They always knew better.
No. She was not going to be burdened with memories. Thick line. Behind all of that. Years ago. Ages, even.
“Thu.”
She asked, to anchor herself back in reality, and the shark understood, touching her hand with a fin. Like always.
“I’m gonna want you to cheer me on, alright? You get out in there, and you make sure they leave at least fifteen seats open for you! And!”
She raised her finger.
“Don’t eat the snacks stand. Not the seller either. They’re nice people and need to provide for their family!”
Thousand made a disconcerted tail flap, as if to remind her that whale sharks didn’t eat snacks, nor nice snack sellers that needed to provide for their family. And half-spirit flying sharks even less.
„I know, I know. You fall for it every time.“
She grinned before pressing a gentle kiss into Thousand’s forehead.
„I’ll be sure to give them a show, so you better watch!“
And with that, Thu was off. As gracefully as before, they soared high, though they turned around at least once to look. She was already gone.

Something had caught her eye, not too far from the grassy plain she left Thousand in. The familiar glint and feeling of rushing water, and as she approached, she could even feel it in the air. It had always been different around waterfalls. Cleaner, clearer, with more energy. And just like she had suspected, not even that long down the rocky path leading from the plain, she found one.
How much time was there before the competition? She did not know. She lost track of time. Just like she remembered she never asked for directions. It was not a habit of hers after all. But one word stuck out to her as she trailed her hand in the chilly curtain of water, letting it chill her hands hot from the summer day.
Fountain.
It was there, in her mind, as clear as the strange tug, a strange feeling, telling her that there was something beyond the waterfall. Whether her own thousand tested intuition or fate she’d asked her bones about, it didn’t matter to her. There was something beyond, and she wanted to see it. If it called, it had to be something important.
Beckoning with her hand, she asked the water to part for her, and it did, allowing her to enter without getting too wet, though she did get lightly drizzled. And as she walked out into the open, and reached the space that was undoubtedly the arena, it was made clear that it didn’t matter. She was going to end up wet anyway.
The scent of salt and decay reached her as soon as she left the waterfall’s air. Even before reaching the arena itself, she laughed at how cruel fate had been. Home. Her mind filled with beaches, her cave, the salty brine of her seas. The light of the lighthouse she loved to steal to lead travellers astray…
...To crash onto the seafloor with their ships and lives.
A seafloor much like this one. Her eyes studied the sandy floor with the puddles, lips wide in a smile of seeing an old friend in the corals and the shadows dancing on the ground. Her eyes trailed up towards the ceiling, a sea trapped above. Her heart ached for something she couldn’t name, for something she was missing.
She stomped the feeling to the ground.
Mia reached for Helia as she eyed her competitors. She grinned as she heard the calls for battle, straightening her posture in anticipation. She hooked a beautiful bottle with an ornate bronze guard, and twirled its handle in her fingers as the voice as deep as the sea began its call. In a quick motion, she had the bottle opened, and Helia’s shining blade formed out of colours similar to those of the dawn, sparkling under the sea’s shade. She zeroed in on one competitor who was foolish enough to draw attention to themselves - and not a moment too soon.
Her eyes noticed something. A flash, an arrow, a blade. And in a swift slash no old ordinary old woman would be able to match, her cutlass had blocked the sai and flung it aside.
“My, my.”
She cocked her head to the side.
“Seems to me we have a loudmouth on deck.”
She twirled Helia in her hand much like at the start, oblivious to the fact she was being as dramatic as the competitor she had scolded for it. It was then she quickly reached, and pulled out a glass ball, throwing it at the other just as fast. The silver light in it swirled, almost as if eager.
“I’d like to see if you have the bite for the bark first.”
DF  Post #: 7
7/16/2020 19:53:00   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

A greeting, high and mirthful, boomed through the arena. Lunas could make neither heads nor tails of the words themselves, but he heard their challenge clear as day. He inched a half-step forward, hands tightening to a white-knuckle grip on his weapons while he drew breath to answer, only to be interrupted when a second whisper reached his ears.

Indistinct as it was, it took the Hiiri a second to recognize the trill of the wind. You... want me to follow? The gust tugged almost playfully at the hem of his cloak, heavy with the promise of a distant gale.

“There’s a storm coming, Surlissa. You have to understand that… that I can do something. I can stop this. Or at the very least, undermine it.”

The Etsija winced and shook his head. “Who… ema?” There was no answer to his query, only the silent, impersonal whirl of the vortex. Within, light flickered and shifted in blending azure hues, but the water....

There was something in the water.

Eddies purled and wavelets rippled, disclosing a leonine form that stalked closer to the edge of the whirlpool. Its scales were pale sapphires trimmed in jade, and its mouth bore teal fangs that put Lunas’ dagger to shame. Spines bristled around its neck, flexing easily in the flood of churning turbulence as it peered back at the Hirii Zen with the cat-pupil gaze of a stalking beast. But that was impossible. There couldn’t be a Makis here. Water lions were a rare sight even back home, and how could-

As if to mock his doubt, the great beast yawned, and yawned, and yawned. Its shaggy head split apart, segments peeling away like skin from the flesh of a rancid fruit, fragmenting into layers of scale, flesh, bone... From its skull a village grew, one of a thousand nameless nowheres, the backbone of the Union.

“Everything burns. You need only light the spark.”

"You will not!" the young man cried out. But his defiant fury proved useless; arrows, their flaming tips glowing like fireflies, climbed high into the night. Topping their arcs, they slashed down into the unsuspecting hamlet below in a storm of whistling fire. He could hear the crack of impact, the meaty thud of points sinking into flesh, and the cries of desperation as the meager handful of defenders flitted back and forth in a vain effort to organize. Their shouts were drowned out by the howl of the warlord’s forces breaking from the trees, naked steel glittering with fell hunger.

“As if you could stop me, rat.”

The Etsija snarled and started forward, only to stagger as his foot caught an overlooked divot in the coral floor.

It was a beginner's error, a scrap of fool's luck that saved his life.

Lunas stumbled and gagged as something yanked at his cloak, jerking it back hard enough to jab the clasp into his furred throat. A second later, cloth ripped near his hip as something punched through the fabric, releasing him from the sudden sideways pull. “There's always a price to pay for vanity.” He quick-stepped to recover his balance and snapped a look to his right as he hunched his shoulders and dislodged his hood. The Hirii's rounded ears slipped loose of the fabric, perked up, and joined his golden eyes in a wild scan for his assailant back along the path the projectile must have traveled.

What had just happened? The village, Lady Surlissa… But there had been a Makis, and the Butcher. For a moment he could have sworn that-

Focus! The young man thrust the questions away. There would be time for questions, to puzzle over just what had happened later - if he survived. His fight was here - now - and another lapse of attention would make all the queries in the world moot. A little less luck, and there would be a hole in his sternum instead of his cloak.

The Etsija drew in a deep, swift breath, dropping his own mouth open to bare the fangs of the Lohikaarme helm. Aureate eyes flashed over the ground again; that initial stumble was one he had no intention of repeating. The footing here was tenuous, but there was a path to tread. His notched ear twitched in the moment of silence following the woman’s challenge, still listening less to her than to the faint wind that blew through the battlefield.

"Do you truly believe you have what it takes, rat?"

Lunas winced as tension pulsed through his skull and the faint zephyr, almost apologetic, filtered across his fur. It carried away faint motes, nigh invisible in the dimness, that danced on the breeze away from the coming confrontation. The pale one was... she had... Wings. Dim, phantom things that limned her arms in sheathes of mottled feathers. Her spear slammed to the dead ground, sending rippling shocks through the plumage along her limbs as she awaited an answer.

Did he have a story? Oh yes... Oh yes, there was a tale for him to tell. Hate and hurt and perfidy, played out in blood and steel. He charged, estoc low and dagger high, angled toward the center as he roared his reply.

"Yhdessä! War-Mistress favor us this day!"
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
7/16/2020 23:06:01   
nield
Creative!

Others had appeared, entering from various entrances. An elemental just to her right and a dragon lady a fair distance beyond, off to her left, someone’s granny deflecting a projectile from someone who really needed more sun in their life. The entrance immediately to her left was currently without a combatant. Were they late? Still, this meant that the only person close enough to engage immediately was to her right, and that was… “Farakai… Kenekel faraz talai. Shparas meral tiriz to kerazen me kar jo uggggggh. (Oh well that’s… I dislike fighting elementals. Most of them won’t go down from just hitting them so you have to fight them smart and uggggggh.)”

She took a brief second and felt her body de-harden and then broke out into a sprint, closing on the elemental in a heartbeat, readying her axe to swing flatways to spread its water as much as she could. Then Vyelar apparated in front of her, swinging his bow at her legs. Reflexes kicked in and she jumped over the bow strike, but landed awkwardly in a divet in the ground and lost her footing, causing her to swing early, missing the elemental by a good foot and collapsing on her face in front of it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
7/16/2020 23:57:00   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

"It's... not what I was expecting," Abbi Pryzumn admits to herself aloud as she approaches the outskirts of a bustling Bren, a trait resultant of her rather isolated upbringing in Beinn Aotrom. Abbi's childhood primarily consisted of exploring her mountainous homescape—sometimes for days on end—alone, learning adaptability and preserving her agility with the protectors of Beinn Aotrom, or being taught how to focus and utilize the light magic that flows deep within her by the village's elders; also proving to be educational was the occasional journal or spellbook recovered by one of the village's protectors during the many assaults on Beinn Aotrom by adventurers attempting to retrieve the mountains' prized possession, illumite.

Many moons ago, Abbi's mother, Dove Céleste, was exiled from the Paladin Order back in Smocha Gwova due to her affinity for dark magic and its juxtaposed relationship with light magic. Upon fleeing to Lhe'Shyiac with her then partner Sal Uhaldari—a Soulkeeper; a similarly outcast and lesser-known subset of Spirit Wardens—the duo soon realised their shared fixation with hybrid magics would not echo far across this land either.

Faced with this reality, Dove and Sal began their adventure northward after hearing whispers of "veins of light" defiling the mountains that cast many of Lhe'Shyiac's cities in a glorious eternal shadow. Intrinsically drawn to this enticing description, the pair headed onward, and after a six-day journey, found the source of light not to be the result of some natural phenomenon, but rather an act of defense from a small group of villagers nestled within the mountains...

Abbi's expectations of Bren are exceeded tenfold, and her mental depiction pales in comparison to the reality of her newfound surroundings; the streets are longer, busier, and decorated with far more taverns and trinket merchants than her eyes can follow with each twist and turn resembling wisps of lightning. Granted, everything she had learned of Bren was pieced together from various journals or maps unwillingly recovered from threats to Beinn Aotrom. However, one thing Abbi has learned in her recent travels from her home village was that no amount of misshapen pieces will ever complete a puzzle as well as one's own exploration; while learning from others' exploits may be educational, you never truly know if what you are learning is reality, or simply their version of it.

"It matters not," Abbi tells herself as she ignores the temptation of exploring this new land and learning all about its lore firsthand. Truthfully, the taverns and trinkets matter little to Abbi, her steadfast focus affixed on finding the Arena of the Elemental Championships. However, even with her clawed illumite gauntlet and shield, it appears the bustling bodies brimming the boundaries of Bren care not for Abbi or her intentions, for she is perceived as just another one of the crowd.

...the mountains that extend along Lhe'Shyiac's northern coast were already an impressive display of natural design, but the "veins of light" that defiled them—or decorated them, as Dove would be inclined to say—illuminated the caves and crevices, resulting in an impressive display of natural darkness and light magic. Upon approaching the foot of the mountains, Dove drew her starapier—a rapier magically-infused with starlight—striking the ground at the foot of the largest mountain, sending a twinkling wave of light from the base to its peak. This extravagant display of light magic—an apparent rarity in Lhe'Shyiac—could be interpreted as nothing other than a show of solidarity by the mountain villagers, while simultaneously being considered another natural anomaly amongst the city folk further south... or so they thought.

With no response, Dove and Sal set up camp a short way from the base of the largest mountain. Considering this journey unfruitful, they had planned to venture eastward in hopes of discovering an allegedly "lost" Order of Light Priests and Priestesses. Even the brightest of lights eventually burn out, however; in the thick of night—a band of bandits attempting to pillage the mountain villagers stumbled upon Dove and Sal's campsite; while competent fighters, the bandits had many advantages at their disposal; the element of surprise, knowledge of the surrounding terrain, and strength in numbers.

Having been unassuming most of her life, Abbi is more than accustomed to being perceived as non-threatening. However, these are the Elemental Championships, not just another tribe of egotistical adventurers simply trying to scavenge some stones for resale. Perception is important—no, perception is reality, and with a whole new world at her disposal, Abbi knows her own reality is in her hands.

"Do you, Abbi Pryzumn, want to be perceived as just another one of the crowd, or do you finally want to be seen for who you really are?" Abbi asks herself, although she already knows the answer.

Abbi stops trying to force herself through the horde of hecklers and focuses her light magic internally—not too intently, she doesn't want to injure the passersby or make a scene—she just wants to be seen. Abbi's light magic flows through her body and into her illumite pendant, radiating a glorious spectrum of iridescence that now surrounds her body. Gatherers gasp and shield their vision, while others point and appreciate in awe for as long as their eyes will allow; one thing is mutual however, everyone is aware of the presence of Abbi Pryzumn. As if consumed by the shadows themselves, the masses of merchants and sea of spectators seemingly separate to illuminate the path which Abbi must follow.

Dove drew her starapier, while Sal empowered his soulsphere. The battle was long, its difficulty increased by the couple's exhaustion, lack of sleep, and unfamiliarity with the area, however the bandits were not particularly skilled, nor well-equipped sans a pair of common daggers each. Dove disarmed the first of the bandits, while dodging a dagger throw from the second; Sal handled the third and fourth by channeling the magic of a Necromancer he'd bested and had trapped the soul of in his soulsphere. The fifth bandit was possibly the most skilled and landed his dagger in Dove's left shoulder, but a combination magic involving Dove's starapier striking Sal's soulsphere sent a moonbeam blast that defeated the remaining three bandits.

Attempting to recover from the unexpected assault, Sal tended to Dove's shoulder injury with what little resources they still had. Unbeknownst to the duo, however, Sal's necrotic spell failed to fatally wound one of the two bandits it struck; the bandit managed to target an unsuspecting Sal, throwing his dagger directly into Sal's back. In a moment of combined shock, rage, and agony, Dove screamed and extracted the dagger from her shoulder, throwing it at Sal's murderer with vicious accuracy, and enchanted it mid-air with her starapier for good measure; the enchanted dagger pierced right through the bandit's heart, continuing on through his body and into the bedrock behind him.

The altercation seemed to awaken some of the mountain villagers, who were now standing at the foot of the largest mountain. Dove, still in shock and pain, collapsed.

Despite never having set foot in Bren—or even on this continent—Abbi feels a sense of familiarity while pursuing the path on her way to the Arena of the Elemental Championships with her newfound purpose. Passersby continue to marvel at her radiance as she continues down Supplicant's Way and into the Arena.

After a short while of exploration, Abbi stops, "This is it."

Her illumite powder encrusted boots have taken her to what appears to be a waterfall, "Perfect," Abbi thinks, "I love refraction through water."

The curtain of aqua parts to reveal the battleground itself; an array of coral and damp, the sight and smell one might imagine an undead captain of a vessel long shipwrecked at the bottom of an ocean might rejoice in. At its center, an impressive albeit intimidating whirlpool, ominously alluring...

"Don't succumb to the whirlpool..." Abbi persuades herself, "...although utilizing it might make for some interesting refraction blasts..." Abbi trails off, deep in thought... thinking... planning... observing...

"And so begins the Trial of the Vortex! Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!" a sinister whisper cuts off Abbi's train of thought. Abbi looks left and right, and studies her potential allies... and her potential competition.

"Interesting..." Abbi readies her illumite shield and refocuses her light magic, ready for battle. "Remember why you're here," she reassures herself.

"For Prismancy, and for Beinn Aotrom!"
DF  Post #: 10
7/18/2020 16:28:20   
  San Robin
Modzerella

As Rocky proclaims his idea to have a great battle he checked his surroundings some more.
The creature, speaking in mysterious tongues, on closer inspection is a tall muscular woman, even taller than Joe! Rocky’s sure Joe would love to spar with her!

Further away to his right is a creature he knows! That’s a dragonborn! he saw a couple of those during his travels with Joe, though this one seemed slightly off from the ones he’s used to… This one had wings, that’s not something you see in his world! It’s amazing, that after eons of living he had yet so many “firsts” to see!

Further away from the tall woman was a shorter, human woman. She didn’t seem like much, but Rocky knew from experience that looks were deceiving. After all his bestest friend in the world was only human as well, until he started raging that is…

Sad ripples went through Rocky’s body, no matter where he was or who he looked at, Joe was on his mind at all times, he dearly hoped he would see that big gentle giant again…
He contemplated this as a jolt went through his body. The tall woman next to him started running towards him! She was agile for a lady that tall!

Rocky started preparing for a move, hoping he’d be in time! when suddenly…
She tripped.
She fell flat on her face in front of Rocky.
It took a few seconds for this fact to sink in as Rocky looked at her.
“Are…. are you ok?” Rocky asked her, “Here let me help you up, it’s not a fun battle if I beat you while you’re sleeping!”
As he said that he used control water to extend his arms to try and pick her up...
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
7/19/2020 20:12:02   
Apocalypse

That same night I learned who I was. Or rather, received the only clue I ever would. For when I cried out in the darkness...it was the tides that answered.

With a flash of silver and clang of steel, the black sai skittered across the coral floor towards the arena’s wall. The elder flourished her blade and replied with naught but mockery. How amusing, Micol thought, to squander what might be one’s last chance to be remembered. Ae took in the words but held aer tongue. This one did not have aer sole attention yet. On the other side, the rat had managed to step at just the right moment to evade Wane’s twin. Micol’s eyes flicked back and forth between aer opponents: one poised with grace while the other fumbled about in its confusion. Ae tightened aer grip on Burden of Heaven. Trapped between two enemies was a far cry from ideal positioning, not to mention that drawing the aggression of both had been a hazardous choice.

But it did make for a compelling story. And how else was Micol supposed to please this god?

The spear grew heavy in aer hands as the elder spoke. Micol let it fall to the ground. It slammed fast against the coral with its unnatural heft. Unsurprising as it now bore the majority of aer weight. Micol rolled aer shoulders and swayed foot to foot. The loosening of aer shackles to the earth was always an exhilarating one. Nails dug into aer palm as Micol fought the urge to exert aer grasp and fling aerself through the air. How could ae not when the very ground itself yearned to cast aer into the skies above? The beating of aer heart intensified with the newfound freedom at aer fingertips, a welcome antithesis to the lethargy of the droll affair around aer. To the left charged the non-skaven with steel in hand and a prayer to the divine upon its lips. To the right continued the elder’s slew of predictable japes. The pious warrior and the irreverent rogue; heroes played out in history a thousand times over. Were the gods of this world so easily entertained? To be satisfied by the shroud masking their champions’ true selves?

No.

“This will not do!”, Micol cried out, extending an open palm towards the devoted one. The fallen Wax shuddered to life and hurled itself end over end towards its owner. Micol hid clenched teeth behind sealed lips. The strain of the grasp intensified with aer lowered weight but was a small price to pay for the freedom it entailed.

The vermin proved quick on its feet, leaping to the side and tucking itself into a roll to avoid the airborne sai. Passions burns within you. Your mistress? Or what she promises you? Micol dismissed the thought as ae plucked Wax from the air as easily as a child picked flowers. Whirling on aer heel, Micol turned to face the elder. “You now have my full attention. Don’t waste it.” The elder slipped a hand inside her tattered robe to produce a sphere of glimmering silver. With form that displayed a profound familiarity with the act, she hurled the orb. It twinkled, a shooting star in the dim light of this sunken battleground.

Micol leapt towards the incoming projectile. And flew.

Exerting aer grasp upon Burden of Heaven, the force that tethered them propelled Micol even higher in aer lightened state. Ae laughed as the sense of weightlessness came over aer. Spinning head over heels, ae fought the temptation to close aer eyes and enjoy the liberation. In defiance of the earth itself was where aer belonged. This truth ae knew.

But the gods of Lore cared not for the dead, and thus Micol’s eyes remained open. The sphere passed harmlessly below, and ae stowed away Wax as aer reflection emerged from the depths in the ceiling above. Mirrored eyes of black and white locked gazes and shared a cheshire smile before falling away from one another. Micol gripped the handle of Blooming Crescent.

“I thought I told you,” Micol called out. The white stone blade hummed as ae drew it from its sheath. Micol sucked in a breath, the surrounding waters binding themselves to aer. The raging vortex demanded violence, the tranquil ceiling beseeched for peace...even the staggering mass of the elemental called for something in its fight with the giantess. Their beckonings sent the blood rushing in aer veins. Micol buried their callings deep within aer as ae pinpointed the spot of water upon the ceiling directly in line with the elder and aerself.

Tightening aer grip on the blade, Micol exerted a push against the water. The ceiling betrayed a single ripple as ae was sent hurtling towards the elder. Briny air whipped across Micol’s face and set aer skin alight with vigor. Blooming Crescent tore through the air, its howl joined by Micol's own. “Not to waste it!”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
7/19/2020 23:31:20   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

“Lyth’s favor is granted to those who help themselves, kid.”

Lunas had heard that refrain - a time or six - as he sampled the dirt near Sootfeather’s feet at the end of their practice bouts. The weapon master had never cared much for appeals to the divine. That was no great surprise. It was easy to dismiss the gods when you believed in nothing but yourself. “Impress me first. Then worry about the Lady of War.” Those memories needled the young man, spurred him forward as he rushed the pale-skinned rogue. Dusty motes spun from the Etsija's fur, borne on the wind that rippled his cloak out, banner-like, behind his charge. And his foe responded... by dropping her spear?

His golden eyes narrowed as she lifted a hand, palm out as if to show him she bore no ill-intent. But the Etsija had read enough of Chen Han's old tomes and scrolls - not to mention the pilfered volume on Bren and the Championships - to know that an empty hand was by no means unthreatening. No, this was another attack, some manner of magical assault; the Hirii Zen hurled himself in the direction of the wall, tucking and rolling out of line with his opponent’s expected blow. Metal whickered through the air as something - a dagger? - flashed back to the pallid hand. How interesting-

“Hakkaa päälle!”

Lunas jerked as his feet came back under his body, crow-hopping to one side instinctively. A longsword flashed down where he had stood the instant before and struck sparks from the coral as it scraped back up into a guard position. He knew that warcry. “Butcher!” the Etsija snarled, hate spilling from the epithet as he spun and whipped a whistling cut at the hand bearing the blade.

A disdainful flourish carried the Kotka warlord's sword up into a high guard position, out of line with the Hirii's stroke. The beast, tawny wings spattered with blood, inclined his head in mocking acknowledgement of the title. “Two months on the trail, rat. You should have moved faster. It might have let you save Willow Knot.”

“I’ll kill you. I’ll kill you for what you did to them!” Lunas lunged, stabbing the dagger in his off-hand up in a brutal, gutting strike.

“Oh, save me the prating.” The Butcher slid back from the blow and leapt, wings pumping hard to launch himself into the air. “The strong live, the weak die. Your ema did you a great disservice if she never told you that."

The Kotka's laughter scraped at his ears like breaking glass, a splintering lance that pierced the young man's skull with enough force to blur his vision. The warlord ascended, each blood-scattering beat of his pinions carrying him farther and farther from the Hirii's reach. Until, with a final derisive salute of his blade, the Kotka heeled over backwards and dove. He streaked down in a swift, tight spiral and splashed apart in spangles of light and color that patterned themselves across the pale woman's flesh.

Lunas flipped his dagger into the air, tail unfurling from around his waist as he threw himself forward. “It was you, all of it. You killed my mother. You stole my father!” His heart hammered, pounding in his ears as he slammed a foot down and spun. His free hand, deft and practiced despite his fury, plucked a ceramic orb from his belt and hurled it. The sphere whistled over the coral with the full-force of his body's momentum, aimed not at the ashen one, but at the ground where she would land.

He followed, paw-like feet racing nimbly over the uneven floor. A switch of his tail caught the falling dagger, curling about its hilt as though the maneuver was one he practiced every day - instead of a mad gambit Sootfeather would have boxed his ears for trying. Which allowed his open left hand to grip the estoc's hilt, drawing the weapon back for a powerful thrust as he closed with the wing-cursed woman and her aged target.

“For his sake... Reconsider."

The Hirii Zen brushed the words aside. Surlissa was wrong. This might be revenge. But it was also justice.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
7/20/2020 9:19:00   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

"Let the Elemental Championships begin!"

These words echo through Abbi Pryzumn's mind, seemingly unable to escape, as if trapped at the bottom of a long-forsaken well; futile cries ricocheting off unmoving walls that only serve to amplify the impending misery.

"Remember why you're here," Abbi reiterates to herself, "Now is not a time for reflection."

Abbi shifts her focus back to the matter at hand; the Arena. Like a rainbow after a rainstorm, Abbi understands she's the last to enter this particular arena; and she's determined to be the last to leave.

Looking to her left, Abbi sees a short, elderly lady adorned with battle scars and a pair of... reading glasses? "They must be magical," she concludes, "Absolutely not a chance in this world a visually-impared little old lady would enter the Elemental Championships with a pair of reading glasses that could so easily be obliterated. She's one to watch."

To her right, Abbi finds seemingly the polar opposite of her aforementioned opponent; a well-tanned woman almost twice her height with an absolutely colossal weapon who has already begun making her way further into the arena. "Thank goodness, I don't think she's noticed me..." Abbi admits, "...yet."

Hours—perhaps days—must have passed before Dove came to. Physically exhausted, unslept, injured, and traumatized by her partner's sudden death, Dove awoke to find herself not alone at the foot of the mountains where she had been rendered unconscious, but in a seemingly normal cabin, albeit unknown to her.

"Inform Sir Nicolas the one of Light has awoken." Dove heard a faint woman's voice, but couldn't make out where it was coming from exactly, or see the source of the mysterious voice. Dove reached with her right hand to her left shoulder, which was bandaged but still badly wounded. Dove tried to sit upright, but could feel herself fading out of consciousness again...

Abbi turns to her left again and notices the elderly woman's attention has already been acquired by her leftmost opponent, having already deflected some kind of dagger from an opponent Abbi can't quite see well enough to describe. "Impressive," she admits to herself. Abbi watches as the surprisingly agile old-timer launches some kind of spherical, magical glass grenade, filled with... "Light magic," Abbi gulps, "No question about it." Any chance of potentially working with this well-experienced adversary instantly perishes in a glorious supernova, reflected in a single iridescent tear that manages to escape onto Abbi's cheek. "In another life, I would have loved to hear your experiences with light magic," Abbi thinks to herself.

But it's not another life. And if she didn't maintain her composure, Abbi would soon lose hers.

To her right again, the mammoth of a woman appears to have been heading in the direction of a man... or what appears to be a man, made of... water? From what Abbi can tell, at least. "I will have to calculate the refractive index of this opponent in comparison with the whirlpool..." Abbi considers, "Are they the same, or could they be different?" Abbi's train of thought is interrupted by the woman's surprising collapse; she hadn't even been attacked! "Perhaps she's not as intimidating as first glance would have led me to believe..." Abbi ponders, knowing all too well that first impressions can be misleading. Even more startling, however, the man of water—who she now notices has a "heart" of stone, appears to be offering the fallen competitor his assistance? "A heart of stone... or a heart of gold?" a perplexed Abbi observed.

The second time Dove came to, she was met not by silence and mystery, but by three silhouettes looming in the doorway adjacent to the improvised hospital bed on which she had been recovering. Startled, Dove again attempted to sit upright, at which point one of the silhouettes made themselves known to her, "I wouldn't move too much if I were you; I don't know if you remember what happened, but you were badly inj-"

"Sal is dead, isn't he?" Dove cut off the silhouette, now revealed as belonging to a woman presumably not much older than her with dark chestnut hair and olive skin.

"Was he your husband?" the woman asks, subconsciously revealing the answer with her use of tense.

"No..." Dove reveals, "But if the light of love and the darkness of desire had their way, he would have been."

"I'm sorry for your loss," a second silhouette—a man this time—steps forward, his radiant blonde curls curiously mismatched with his perfectly groomed beard of immaculate ebony.

In an instant, Dove flashes back to the moments leading up to and following Sal's death—the dagger, her enchantment, and the people from the mountains... Dove knew exactly where she was, and who she was in company of; the mountain villagers of Lhe'Shyiac.

With all of her immediate adversaries preoccupied, Abbi considers it a perfect time to lay low and learn. Already she had witnessed several of her competitors' skills, strengths, and—surprisingly—weaknesses, but of equal importance is learning the ebb and flow of the Arena itself; working with it rather than working against it.

Without a target on her back as of yet, Abbi decides she must make her move. "I'm going to have to try this sooner or later, and I'd rather it be sooner, because who knows how much later I'll get..." Abbi takes a deep breath, focuses her energy, and begins to charge directly for the whirlpool at the center of the Arena...
DF  Post #: 14
7/20/2020 12:22:32   
nield
Creative!

“Stalos, perel telek net terei ma. (Berserker, now’s not the time to be lazing about.) “Stafa! Kata af- aten. Kereil koroz. (Sorceress! You’re alri- oh right. I keep forgetting.)” “Parai teres tiaral pol meret kian lerai tal, Stalos. (You’re going to have to get used to the fact that we’re dead at some point, Berserker.)” Sledaristan stretched and sat up. “Peiya, shtei wirek yaral potoi, tamen perace kirek nikel tefai. (Honestly, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it fully, no matter how many years I spend in this existence.)”

“Pakal talaz denai beref varal. Pak kez nenan porol. (I just wish the others would stop blaming you. It’s not your sole fault that we’re dead.)” She chuckled as she regarded the forlorn looking Stafa. “Dadal po dadal. Yitez mo renarz. Kalal pan mel. Keskie… ko, Keskie pal tiret taz. Dal, kat kefaral. (The boys are boys. Petty and aggressive. That’s just how they are. Thief is… well Thief can do their own thing. Again, just by nature.)” Stafa looked discomforted, “Yekal man tek nerei porol ken diretel, Stalos. (It’s real easy to forget just how much insight you have, Berserker.)”

Sledaristan grinned, “Tal, kel Stalos ma tel poron haraz jened ken malal yoruf mawal zanac caxal gurafoi. (Right, because Berserker is just the stupid woman who likes to hit things hard and has no more brain activity than the minimum needed for such tactics.)” A look of pure horror crossed Stafa’s face but she defused it with a hearty chuckle. “Mal, Stafa. Renal tiger haran gez, go dadal kei. (Easy, Sorceress. I know you don’t think of me that way, but the boys do.)” She flexed her arm. “Zez, torol kelafai. Parasel tanan. (Well, my wounds are healed. Time to move on.)”

Sledaristan was stunned for a few brief moments, ashamed of the fact that she had tripped, even if Vyelar had manipulated her into doing so. Then she heard words from above her and Stafa quickly translated. “To, kekerei til te heraf. (Ah, an elemental after my own heart.)” she muttered to herself and rolled over. When she saw its arms of water extending down to her however, her mind briefly went blank, falling back on another time she’d had a water elemental reach down to her with arms. That one had attempted to drown her in its hands.

Her body sprung into action, curling her legs up her body and rolling backwards, landing on her feet in a crouch. From there, she sprang forward to where she had dropped her axe when she fell, picking it up swiftly and turning on the spot to face the elemental. No point using Iron Skin here, because a strong body doesn’t actually help against an entity that can drown you if it gets its hands on your face. “Magaraz per yatai, de rakalaz, kekerei. (You’re certainly not my first choice, but let’s play, elemental.)” she said, as she swung Styoio Kar as hard as she could.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
7/20/2020 14:19:09   
Sylphe

And she missed.

Not that that was an inconvenience. It was a test of sorts, to see if this pale looking fellow knew when to shut their mouth and start dodging, or they’d soon wind up with no mouth at all. Even the weakest of her little toys were imbued with the power of distant starfire, enough to change one’s face forever. It was never a pretty sight, even with silver speckles of light covering the burns. It would be a shame if this one ended up that way, though. No matter how dramatic and flippant her opponent was, there was a sense of familiarity. They reminded her of the deep sea mermaids she came to know, with their ashen skin, eyes either too empty or too deep, and with the speed they moved, just like this one when they had leapt. Undoubtedly very dangerous, too.
All that was missing was the luminosity.

That, she could provide.

Eyes on her speeding target, Mia reached into her coat, paying no mind to the ceramic ball that landed under her legs meanwhile. She did catch the rodent man in her peripherals, yes, but that was for later.

She reached for a Barrier flask, to block the attack, and then, she’d turn around to fight the other, once safe.

Once safe.

The walls of the closet were made out of the white wood of the faraway Tkaanian birch, pristine and without a single stain. Just like the coats and robes she was huddling under, eyes closed in fear, as they saw scary figures and shapes in the darkness. Her breathing choked, she put her hands together, whispering.

“Lady Celeritas… she who reigns above, the blaze of the sun, the hum of the stars, the perfect brilliant light, please, I…”

She jerked backwards, struggling to keep quiet upon hearing a voice.

“Where are you, sister?” Asklepia’s voice was accented with venom. “The training’s not over! You’ll never find your light if you keep running!”

She stuck to the wall, her whispers frantic, wracked with sobs.

“Please, please, please, just a little spark, please-”

A sudden flash of light leaked into the closet through a thin line between its doors.

Laughter, as the steps closed in.

“You don’t want to disappoint Mother again, do you?”

It came to her then, as the world almost slowed down for her. A fragment of a memory, all that could get to her in such a fast time. A child, struggling to defend themselves. A child, running and hiding, praying to her god. The god that didn’t listen. The god that forgot about her. The god that didn’t care.

The god whose favor she was trying to win here.

The grip on the flask in her pocket changed as the glass shifted in her fingers, the light, clear glass melding into heavy and thick. With a grunt, she pulled out the Bottle of Noon, edges smoothed by years in the waves.

Eyes locked on the mermaid, as she dubbed them, she spoke.

“Oh, I heard you, sweetie. I won’t.”

And just then, with a mighty motion a thousand times trained, she threw the bottle in their direction, the light eager to burst out, dancing under the green glass not too differently than the sunbeams illuminating the ceiling.

How do you make the gods listen?

You shake the heavens under their feet.

DF  Post #: 16
7/21/2020 0:39:49   
Starstruck

One time, when the Priestess was a little girl, a tornado struck the plains where the dragon-kin raised their livestock.

"Are the birds alright, Mummy?" she asked, securely underground and safe from the vicious reach of the tornado.

Her mother sighed. "Little one who I love so much, the birds are very afraid of the North Wind's mighty power. If they do not hide, they will be crushed to death in the air." And so it was.

Falling, falling, falling. Never to hit the ground. Her dreams were always the same. Falling, falling...

Her steps were growing more confident now, although every instinct within the Priestess urged for her to reconsider, to turn and flee. The Arena's ambience itself seemed hostile to her presence. Agiara felt as though the air she breathed was choking her. Beneath her feet, water burbled, threatening to upend her balance and pull her towards the fearsome roar of whatever lay within the vortex to her left. Voices rang out from the area before her.

"I'll kill you!"

"Magaraz per yetai!"

"Not to waste it!"

I have no choice, she realized. I have already entered the heart of the tempest. I am dragon-born, storm-eyes, she who speaks to the weather. I am no bird, to be crushed by the pressure of the air.

As her shuffling steps grew more confident, Agiara raised her hands, swinging the smoking censer through the air. As the sounds of battle became clearer and closer, she felt the cloud of incensed smoke settle on her limbs, on the hems of her robe, on her tail and settling on her nostrils.

Indomitable is the wind from the South
That wind named ARTIMA, LIFE-GIVING MOTHER
Her breath brings the fertile silt from ancient volcanic lands
ARTIMA, LIFE-GIVING MOTHER, I call upon the unstoppable power of life itself to defeat my enemies!

The priestess swung savagely with her censer, coral cracking and giving way to marble.

"I am Agiara, the caller of the Four Winds!"

Her step was sure and confident. The censer cracked against coral once more, a soothing sound like a clean haymaker.

"I am the voice that speaks the sacred names! Storm-Eyes, the one who speaks to GODS."

Strength suffused her. Every single particle of her being felt powerful. The South Wind's blessing carries more than simply the physical strength to empower my blows, she realized. It is strength itself. Confidence and courage in the face of doubt.

Another step. The sounds of battle grew louder still. She could feel the water beneath her feet urging her along as the vortex drew it in with an inescapable pull. The censer felt light, but the cracking of hard marble against fragile coral was anything but.

"Come to me and DIE."
DF MQ  Post #: 17
7/22/2020 14:03:19   
  San Robin
Modzerella

Rocky reached out to the tall woman, a look of terror shadowed her otherwise fierce face as she rolled away and grabbed her axe. Rocky slightly tilted his rock, what a strange creature this i-SLASH!

The woman had regained her stance and was now slashing and splashing away at Rocky. waves of Rocky’s body splashing away and zooming back to the main body of water like angry bees honing in on a target, the ocean water that was both his body and his prison would always reform...
Slash, splash, slash, splash… while it didn’t hurt it was certainly an… uncomfortable feeling

Yet, he had to make sure she didn’t hit his rock body so it was time to retaliate!
He had practiced his moves during his travel here. at first he had shaped part of his body into a blade, one that looked a lot like his buddy Joe used to carry around. But after finding out that water really isn’t sharp... at all. He had thought of something else! Using his control over water Rocky made the blade flow at a rapid pace, this was starting to function more like a sword! Then he added little bits and pieces of condensed salt in this flow for extra destructive power! This way, Rocky had felled a couple of trees for practice, so it was certainly an effective weapon!

Rocky bubbled (Due to a lack of an actual mouth, it was the closest he could do to smiling), time to try it out on a worthy enemy!
In a second, Rocky had formed his blade and started his attack. “RIP AND TIIIIIIIIDE!”
He swung!
The tall woman looked shocked at the fast moving rapids and dodged! another swing! But she had already fled in the opposite direction! Towards the shorter woman Rocky saw earlier.

He had not expected this. Did she not come here to fight after all? Then why did she slash him so often? Slightly tilting his Rock at this happening, Rocky undid his blade and looked around. Maybe another contestant was more interested in a battle?

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
7/23/2020 1:18:31   
Apocalypse

”No, I don’t know how long I was alone. I hadn’t learned to speak, much less count.”

Once again the elder relied not on her blade but another concoction. This one was larger and gleamed with a faint golden light that dwarved the silver of its sister. Micol’s face split into an even wider smile as ae hurtled towards aer foe. The best for me? You shouldn’t have. With a grunt, the elder heaved it into Micol’s path. Mismatched eyes followed its arc through the air. The thought of exerting a grasp upon the ceiling to avoid the flask entered aer mind but Blooming Crescent was already in motion. The sword curved from its initial trajectory, its alabaster form slicing through the gloom of the arena. Ivory stone crashed upon glowing glass-

An explosion of light.

A flash of fire.

A world of pain.

Micol gasped as the concussive force of the blast slammed into aer chest and drove the breath from aer lungs. All over aer jaw, arms, and torso burrowed the white hot needles of the light’s wrath. Ae squeezed aer eyes shut but could not block out the sunspots dancing across aer vision. Tumbling through the air with strands of aer now scorched robe rippling behind aer, Micol exerted a grasp upon the ceiling. The strings of that invisible marionette seized aer by the middle and yanked aer upwards several feet. The sudden change of momentum jerked aer head back and forth, triggering a pressure in aer skull that ballooned and pounded against aer temple. Micol spiraled in a twisted pirouette before landing on aer feet a short distance away from the tumultuous vortex.

Blinking rapidly to dispel the spots of light that still swam within aer sight, Micol drew in a sharp breath and looked down. Exposed skin was burned black and marred with red blisters, and even the cool breeze given life by the whirlpool was enough to sting aer smoldering flesh. A desperate measure. Micol exhaled with a shudder before looking up to view aer enemy. But perhaps too much so. The elder had not fared any better, her clothes alight with flame as she rolled around in one of the scattered puddles across the coral floor. From aer peripherary came the vermin, charging once more towards the fray. Had it not been shouting a moment ago? Micol winced as ae shook aer head. Another detail that did not matter: only the present would decide their fates.

“Alchemy. A welcome change from the mundane,” Micol said, dropping into a low stance. Ae fought the urge to tremble at the twinge of pain. The first wave of agony was wearing off, but the ache of it was settling in for the long haul. Blooming Crescent reached over aer head in a defensive position. To show hesitation in the face of pain was to admit weakness. That would not do. Not today, at least. “A marvelous new skill harvested in this age. But that is what you are, not who.” Micol pivoted to stare down the approaching vermin. “I am only interested in the latter.”

The stone sword seemed to vibrate in the dim light of the arena. Micol let out a breath. The blade began to shrink, growing ever smaller as it was swallowed by the handle. To others, it would appear that the pale figure by the vortex now stood weaponless in the vortex's shadow. But those with the appropriate perception or paranoia could see a shimmering distortion in its place; an outline of the same blade absorbing the surrounding light. Though in the bleak atmosphere of Fountain, even Micol struggled to see its phantom silhouette. Ae glanced first at the alchemist and back to the vermin barreling towards aer. Two of the trio had already bled for their supposed wish. It was only fair to level the playing field.

“You! Believer!” As the rat neared the fallen Burden of Heaven, Micol sprinted forward and pulled upon the spear. The grasp wrenched aer forwards, aer feet skimming across the coral to keep aerself upright. Wind bit at aer raw flesh but Micol hid the pain behind a bellowing cry. “What is hidden in your faith to your goddess?” The ethereal form of Beneath the Shadow’s Mask lashed out, striking at the believer’s waist.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
7/23/2020 8:20:32   
nield
Creative!

The elemental proffered no immediate response and her axe pushed through its form with ease, sloughing off a decent chunk of its mass. Sledaristan’s eyes widened as the water simply floated through the air back to whence it had come. Cheating. That’s cheating. She swung again and again, but the result was the same. She could splash as much of its form away as she wanted, it just came back. “Pekay kerr tiyel nikratz, pel fen terah. (No wonder it just stands there uncaring, I’m doing nothing to it.)” she muttered under her breath.

Then it started to move, a blade of water forming, held in its hand. The blade’s edges began flowing slowly, then faster and faster until it was practically a maelstrom all its own. If that’s anything like Sorceress’ favourite little cast, I DON’T want to be hit by that at all! The thing yelled as it swung and Sledaristan jumped back. Okay, so on the one hand, it's cheating and I can’t do anything to hurt it. On the other, it can easily tear my body to shreds. That’s a definite Nope. So she turned on her heel and beat feet.

As she ran from the elemental, looking for someone she could actually PLAY with, she noticed that the entrance to her left that had been empty earlier now had someone in it. Silver hair and unbearably short; She looks like she’s barely much more than half my height… She looks like a literal pushover. Sledaristan grinned. Thief looks like a complete pushover if you catch them in the full of day too. Should be a good fight.

The girl was focusing on the vortex that dominated the center of the arena, having not yet noticed the massive woman who was bearing down on her and as she still had some ground to cover she mused on if she should launch her attack immediately. “Stalos, kepei ner. Zperan mo Vyelar zak teken nekei tefar, pyiref tol neres iltik keren kakel kol. Vyelar mat tand kolf nenei paralf kekerei daral gerand. (Berserker, be patient a second. Warrior and Ranger are going to constantly interfere with you, using the fact you have trouble remembering we’re dead against you. Ranger already got you to trip and you were lucky that elemental didn’t just kill you on the ground.)”

Sledaristan slowed her pace and regarded Keskie. “Vak vul? Panal kinis difai janf karal, pyerald kanz mentarei tlei skoret? (What about you? They know you blame me for all your deaths as well, did they not try to rope you into their petty little vengeance scheme?)” “Kyerel. Drifan thenai koltu. Hyafel konol hegai ras. Jyeral kont, bavar shter mokol. Kawal hek kijet. (They tried. But I understand what you’re here for. I know what you’re willing to do. And more importantly, what you’re willing to sacrifice. I have no reason to get in your way.)”

Sledaristan looked down at her hands, gripping her axe. “Darf foroi nak. Menal bavad sek. (It’ll all be worth it. I just have to get there.)” Closer to the girl, she noticed that she was holding a shield about as big as she was. “Hintal kav denjai? Skenel tik koros tafan niji thirei kar mot mekel. (This is a good matchup right? She’s got a shield near as big as herself and I use an axe that IS larger than myself.)” Sledaristan took a few breaths, activating Tekkon Skil again as she stalked closer to her target.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
7/23/2020 20:50:50   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

There was no turning back, not when he knew that he was right.

The orb cracked at the old woman's feet, bursting apart in a cloud of half-seen motes. Ignorant to the danger, she reached into a pocket and produced a hefty bottle. That was no threat to him - the feathered woman was the closer target, and so Lunas paid the projectile little mind.

His tail rippled out low and to one side, dagger at the ready as his grip on the estoc tightened. He would drive the weapon into the wing-cursed's back, then strike low at her ankles.

“Never expect your opponent to fall neatly into any trap you lay.” Sootfeather had always wanted the last word. No matter how well Lunas had done, no matter how impressed his other instructors had been. "Real enemies are rarely so accommodating." The pale woman struck out with her blade and Lunas inhaled sharply, eyes widening as the weapon arced down at the aged one's phial - the glowing phial. Glass shattered, and the young man learned something equal parts astonishing and terrifying.

It was possible to bottle sunlight.

The Etsija staggered as radiance flared, chewing hungrily through his vision. His ears swiveled wildly back and forth, catching the grumbling snap of fire, a cry of challenge, and the slap of some heavy object impacting the water. But he couldn’t see. “No… No, no, no…” His weapon dipped, its tip ringing faintly off the coral before he whipped it back up into a guard position. They were coming. He could almost feel the noose tightening around him. The pallid woman, the lightcaster, the-

“You’re getting old for night terrors, pieni... But we all have bad dreams sometimes. Climb up, tell me about it.”

He squeezed his eyes closed against the beat of wings, against the slow, shuddering sound of steel scraping bone. "I'm not... You're not... E-Ema..."

“You have to breathe, Lunas. It was a nightmare. But it's over now. Breathe.”

Breathe; she taught you how. Just breathe. A breath, taken, slow and deep to draw the world in: brine and coral, decay and sweat, leather and steel. A breath, held, to ground and center, while his pulse slowed and the pounding in his head receded. A breath, exhaled, to blow out fear and panic, exile anxiety. That was the idea anyway. In truth, fear hated to be bottled, and panic never wanted to be locked away. But his eyes opened, and though his vision was still scraps and shreds in nauseating motion, he could function. Seeing wasn't everything. Surlissa had taught him that too. The Hirii’s notched ear twitched as it picked up the sound of the pale woman’s voice. North and a little east, the direction of the vortex - more or less.

Lunas turned to face his opponent, the quiet, sad smile on his lips invisible beneath his masking helm. Thank you, ema. I only wish you could have found it in your heart to tell me what he was. The young man took a careful step forward, and then another. Could he have changed that? His right hand released the estoc and rose to the clasp of his cloak. If he had been wiser, if he had been more attentive… Could he have convinced her - somehow - to part with the secret?

“Worry about what's right in front of your nose, lohik. What's in your head can wait.”

Perhaps his uncle was correct; the pallid one’s call certainly demanded his attention. But what if? He loved Surlissa still, but he had never felt… worthy of her. The Lady of Rangaista was a hero, one the Etsija had seen up close and personal. Ruler, leader, guide, she had done so much for her people and the Union... What if she had been right? Surlissa, Ravel, Chen Han, what if they all had been right? They had done their best to protect him, and the instant he had learned the truth-

“What is hidden in your faith to your goddess?”

Both question and challenge, the cry cut across Lunas' thoughts as the pale woman surged forward, blurry and indistinct in his slow-returning vision. The Hirii strained to pick out the sounds of her approach, to gauge distance and intent. Fabric bunched between his fingers as he waited, waited, waited… And then burst into motion at what he judged was the last possible moment. The Etsija launched himself backward, tumbling ears over tail as he whipped the cloak from his back and cast it up into the air between them. A strange tingle danced along his fur, and for a moment he thought she had clipped his tail. But he could still feel the dagger’s hilt in his grasp, and his feet found purchase on the coral a moment later.

From that steady landing he shifted his weight forward and lunged, half-grinning again at old memories. Ravel had told him on more than one occasion that the truth always came out in the end, and what was hidden could not stay that way forever. His foe seemed desperate for a glimpse behind the veil. The Hirii had no argument against giving it to her.

The Etsija's empty hand gripped the estoc's blade half-sword and thrust into the obscuring cloak. Fabric shuddered as the weapon's lethal tip pierced the veil to seek pallid flesh. "The chance to make it right - to erase him!"
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 21
7/24/2020 2:56:39   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

As she charges in a direct line towards the center of the Arena—towards the forbidding whirlpool—Abbi monitors her rivals' placements via her Infrared ability; the presumed giantkind now aimlessly slashes at the water elemental, while the other Light contender appears fixated on a much younger, human combatant... no, almost human? Even with her Infrared ability, she can't quite tell what is off about this particular individual, and would need to discover for herself face to face. Close to them, Abbi spots a dagger-wielding human-mouse hybrid creature, tail and all. "Heh, they might be some fun," she thinks as she continues onward. Elsewhere, another very large competitor (albeit not quite as large as the woman Abbi had first seen) appears to be readying for battle, her immaculate wings proving to intimidate.

"There was nothing we could do to save him," the man with radiant blonde curls and perfectly groomed ebony beard continued, "May his soul be with Celeritas now."

"Why... why am I here? Why did you save me?" Dove thought aloud, "Why, when you didn't answer our call... Sal might have—" Dove trailed off.

"You must understand, we don't let just anyone among our community," the third individual, a shorter man with pale skin, wavy, sandy brown hair, and an interesting pair of glasses, chimed in, "We are very sorry about Sal's loss, and are sure he meant a lot—"

"Means," Dove interrupted, unable to refer to his memory in past tense.

"—are sure he means a lot to you, but we have reason to be cautious."

"Valo is right," the blonde agrees. "But there is time for that later... much later. In the present, we must focus on your wounds, both physical and emotional."

"And of what concern is my physical and emotional state to you, Sir Nicolas?" Dove retorts, causing the chestnut-haired woman to gasp, "That is you, I presume?"

Without her sense of hearing during this Infrared state, Abbi can feel the pull of the vortex much clearer... smell the salt of the water through the overwhelming damp and decay... taste it in the air. Her heightened senses allow her to get as close as she feels she can without succumbing to its pull and becoming the first victim of the Trial of the Vortex. Just as she kneels by the whirlpool and prepares to return to her Fundamental state, a flash of light in the distance to her left demands her attention; the other Light contender had seemingly achieved something of a victory over the pale human(?), who lands not quite on the opposite side of the whirlpool. She can see now this individual has pulsing, purple veins visible all up and down its body. Back turned to her, Abbi continues to watch silently as their weapon seemingly vanishes, leaving behind a faint, distorted outline she would only be able to observe via her Infrared ability. "Interesting... I'll keep that in mind," Abbi tells herself, unwilling to draw attention away from the human-mouse hybrid they now appear to be in pursuit of.

"You are an observant one," Sir Nicolas confirms, "But please, just call me Nicolas... I've told Lysa here the same one hundred times, but she insists..." Nicolas gestures toward the chestnut-haired, olive-skinned woman beside him.

"It's a sign of respect, Sir Nicolas," Lysa emphasises, glaring at Dove.

"The amount of light magic you displayed before, at the base of the mountain... it was impressive, Miss... I'm sorry, what was your name?" Valo, the most serious of the trio, asked.

"Dove. My name is Dove."

"Right, Miss Dove... your display of light magic did impress our people, but we had to be certain it wasn't some kind of threat, or trap. It would not be the first time dark sorcerers from further South had attempted to use illusions, or a bandit group had imprisoned a light mage and tasked them with luring us out of the mountains in fear of being sent to the Capital of Lhe'Shyiac." Valo revealed, causing Lysa to appear dejected with his last statement.

"Your battle with the bandits was particularly enlightening, however," Nicolas explained, "When we spotted the bandits—"

"You saw them coming right for us, and did nothing? You just let them attack? Sal DIED bec—" Dove attempted to sit up again, gasping in pain.

"Please, Madam Dove, you are still recovering..." Lysa rushed to assist her.

"We could not have intervened, Dove. As I was saying, when we spotted the bandits, at first we weren't sure if they were your reinforcements. The number of potential invasions we face here far outweighs the number of requests for allegiance. However, as soon as we saw them attack, we began to make our way down towards you. Unfortunately, we were simply too late for Sal..." with Nicolas' words, the sinister sound of silence filled the room.

"I understand," Dove accepted Nicolas' reasoning, reflected in a single iridescent tear that managed to escape onto Dove's cheek. "In another life, he would have loved to hear your experiences with light magic."

Having obtained the information she desired—that is, now knowing the proximity of the whirlpool she can safely travel without spending too much of her focus—as well as some clues about her opposition—Abbi returns to her Fundamental state. The sudden rush from the sense of hearing returning to her almost overcomes her, as even the sounds of battlecries, weapons crashing into coral, and exploding magical spheres are drowned out by the swirling mass of water of the vortex before her. One sound does ring through, however; footsteps—approaching, resonant footsteps.

Abbi glances down at her illumite shield, and in its reflection she spots the tall, sunbrowned woman heading directly for her. "I guess she couldn't go with the flow of the water elemental!" Abbi chuckles to herself.

"Let's see if you're light on your feet... or should I say, can handle light on your feet!"

Abbi, still kneeling, turns around on her left knee, refocusing her light magic and entering a Prismatic state; feeling the magic reflect and shine through her clawed illumite gauntlet, converging into a single orange beam as it refracts from her gauntlet into her illumite shield, transforming it into a large, ornate cannon. Despite this process taking three seconds—a rather long time in the thick of battle—the speed at which the woman appears to be approaching doesn't seem too menacing, and often the sight of illumite reforging for the first time is surprising enough to temporarily bewilder even the most seasoned adventurer.

"Not so little now, huh?" Abbi smiles as she fires a single 'cannonball' of light directly at the giant's legs, "Have fun dodging that, titan!" Projectile en route, Abbi begins to return to her Fundamental state in order to better defend herself in the impending brawl...
DF  Post #: 22
7/24/2020 19:18:02   
Sylphe

Ah, the joy of them doing the work for me, she thought. If only she knew that the same would apply to her in just about a second. That’s all the time it took for the pale one to swing their weapon into the bottle.

That’s all it took for the bottle to catch alight and erupt in a burst of deadly heat she had spent so much time preparing.

That’s all it took for a second explosion to chain off of hers, resulting in a gout of flame and burning hot ceramics lashing at her from under her feet. She gasped, and her arms flew out on instinct, away from the face they were supposed to be protecting. Even through her protective glasses, it was like staring at the sun.

It left a burning afterimage in her vision as she stumbled backwards, and threw herself to the ground in an attempt to douse the flames.

...Not the most elegant maneuver she ever had.

She saw sunspots dancing as she rolled, flickering in and out.

“This, would be so much easier if you just admitted it! If it wasn’t for your own, stubborn pride!”

She had chosen a hiding spot so, so wrongly this time. Behind a curtain in her Mother’s room, she thought she’d be safe. After all, no one ever expected her to be there, yes? She did not have a plan on how to get out. She recognised the light steps of her Father, and his voice. She was always told it rung like bells of silver, though most often when talking to her, and now, it sounded like many of those bells have been chiming over one another, in a cacophony.

Mia could feel it, like frost climbing up her back, the silhouette standing just short of the curtain. It entered the room as silently as it could, unmoving.

Mother.

“Well, let me tell you something, Phrysci,” She knew the nickname, although she knew it from the scattered letters and picture frames she sometimes got to read, if her brother was too busy with something to tell her off. But now, it sounded like Father spat venom with the name, the silver bells’ sound reduced to a rumble.

“Sooner or later, they’ll find out. What will your pride of the family name be after it’s broken? What sense does it make for a child of mine to not be able to harness Light?”

There was grave silence as he stormed out, his silhouette seeming - and feeling much lighter to her than hers.

His words did not.

“I have not…”

She heard Mother whisper, hand reaching out.

By all means, she must have tumbled into a puddle.

The salt of the water dug into Mia’s new wounds, the sheer burn of it making her cry out. Her old fingers dug in the wet sand, balling into fists. She opened her eyes, her thoughts cleared by the pain.

Mia groaned and straightened back up, her skin burning with every movement. New scars, she thought. There were prices to be paid, both for her hubris and for being saved. She knew this. She had been working under this law for way too long.

Her eyes stopped on Helia - her blade lay spilled along the coral floor, making a puddle of glistening liquid, yet refusing to sink into the sand. Little balls sitting on the sand and water, repelling it. Like mercury, she thought. She reached for the handle lying not too far away from her, on the ground…

… and paused.

The all too familiar flash of light caught her attention. Not far from her, near the furious vortex, a Light contender fought. Without a shadow of a doubt. She could sense it, their energy. Maybe she could reach out to it. Maybe she could help.

No. They were an enemy here. They were a competitor. With a hardened frown, the witch tore her gaze away. In another time, perhaps, she’d love to hear about the young gal’s light technique. But not here. Not now. Mia grasped Helia in hand, and the pearls of light rose and coalesced into the beautiful blade, just for a second, before sinking into the glass.

Mia strode forward, Helia now safely resting by her belt. Her trot quickened, each step silent on the coral floor as she avoided the puddles and spikes with the skill of someone who has walked the depths before.

“Darling,”

Her voice rung out, sickly sweet like the fruit of an orange just a little too ripe, possibly full of bugs.

Each of her hands dug into her pockets, producing balls full of swirling, eager silver liquid.

“I don’t believe it’s polite to turn away from me… I wasn’t done speaking to you.

Her words ran cold as she pelted Micol’s backside with said starlight bombs, her hand already pulling down a pocket again, fingers closing around an actual bottle next, not too heavy in the hand, its reflective gleam apparent before she even pulled it out, making spots on her coat. Reflection flask.

“Did they not teach you to respect your elders?”

DF  Post #: 23
7/24/2020 22:46:51   
Starstruck

The rushing water flowed over Agiara's toe-claws. Her confident words rang out in the midst of a violent melee of sounds and scents. This strange new world of battle was so different from her pampered life before, as blind priestess. She had not realized how much fear would rule her actions in combat. She had not anticipated that the greatest threat to her would not be the blade that struck her, but the blade that didn't. She was now, keenly and cruelly Once again, her fingers strayed to her diadem. I could draw their attention, she mused. I could draw their attention, and I would immediately be set upon and destroyed. Her nostrils flared.

I am Dragon-Kin, she thought, fiercely. I am the Priestess Who Would Fly. I am a huntress by birth but the words hung hollow in her mind she had not ever killed she pushed the thought back down and I will have victory. I must have it. There is no other way.

She strode forward, but it wasn't forward. Something had changed. The current underfoot felt different, somehow. Stronger. She turned, searching with her ears. Behind her, the sounds of combat. To her right, the sounds of alchemy. But there was something odd about the space in between them. The sound felt half-muffled, somehow, clear but distant. She took a cautious step forward, and felt the current underfoot increase, suddenly. Her foot nearly gave way, and she stumbled, fighting her balance, and slipped again. Falling to her knees, Agiara dropped her chain and felt about, searching for something solid. The rough coral tore at the skin on her palms, and the deeper water rushed violently. It threatened to pull her, to destabilize her.
FALLING. She was falling, there was no way to know how far
"Help me!"

Her mouth opened and she yelled, caught in the throes of panic. Her senses flung out desperately, searching for a servant, a parent, a friend - someone who would come to her aid. The strength of the South Wind that had suffused her limbs was beginning to fade, and she crawled, angling desperately to her left, feeling the great void that lay to her right and knowing, somehow, that it meant certain death.
falling endlessly
Her silk robe scratched and tore beneath her knees, and her wings flared once again, and beat, once, propelling her forward. She landed with a crash, nearly skidding, barely noticing that her left hand clutched the chain of her brazier close. She lay there, battered and scared, for a breath. And then, summoning the last of her strength, she crawled to a kneeling position.

The scent of salt hung heavy in the air, now, close to her. She looked up and around, searching for its source. Whoever it is, I should be prepared to fight. I cannot afford to meet my end here.
DF MQ  Post #: 24
7/26/2020 13:30:11   
  San Robin
Modzerella

He looked around, who was still there to fight? All other contestants seemingly were engaged in battle. They looked like they were having fun. That. That’s what he wanted as well! A good battle against a worthy opponent!

Wait… there was the winged dragonborn! She was moving around but not as assured as other beings would, it was more...careful? Rocky watched as the dragonborn struggled to move around, nearly missing the giant whirlpool.

Could it be that she was blind? Rocky knew he didn’t have eyes either but he could still sea quite well. As Rocky bubbled at his “Clever” pun, he saw the Dragonborn make a leap right at him! His battle instincts kicked in and without a second thought he summoned his water whip and took a battle stance! And then she fell before she got close.

Rocky paused… why do people keep doing this? He knew he was pretty handsome for rock-standards, but why was it that all these other beings fell for him?!
Rocky rippled, an opponent on their knees is no challenge, but the previous one tried to attack him the second he reached out.
Perhaps this one could understand him? “I’ve met several dragonborn, but none with wings… Are you here for a good battle?” he asked as he readied himself for anything.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2020= Fountain Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition