Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: QuadForce: A second look.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> RE: QuadForce: A second look.
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/24/2021 14:07:01   
Sir Cloud

quote:

I think quadforce is fine for what it is. Honestly I haven’t been using it much since released. It’s nice to boost cha for booster pets but I still find myself using blood contract more as it has no cost.

^I agree with this. I'm pretty much not using this Misc. at all due to it's rather high SP cost drain and have it in storage across most of my 6 Characters on the main account. Opting for less SP costing Misc. Items instead.

< Message edited by Sir Cloud -- 3/24/2021 14:10:24 >
AQ  Post #: 26
3/24/2021 14:58:27   
J9408

I don't use for the same reason as yours.

From what I've been reading so far, it seems the problem with the misc is how well it works with other items.

Would the misc be powerful if items such as Essence Orb and Dragonlord weapons were not around? How well does it stand on it's own?

< Message edited by J9408 -- 3/24/2021 15:42:13 >
Post #: 27
3/25/2021 12:55:21   
lolerster

I have a different position on QuadForce compared to the majority of people do here. I will try to present and support my argument through this massive wall of text, for those who care to read it. Please note that I am speaking from the perspective of someone with access to most of the items in the game (barring some rares) - both premium and non-premium. I am therefore looking at QuadForce in the context of using it in more optimized builds. As such, what I say below may not hold true for everyone.

I believe that, with the tools currently available to players in-game even when not accounting for the upcoming nerfs to items like Purple Rain and Essence Orb, QuadForce is not overpowered relative to other extremely powerful items like Windter Crown, Prime Chaos Orb, Dragonlord Shields, Book of Burns, Bag of Mixed Nut, etc...

Before you take out those pitchforks and torches, there are a few clarifications that I would like to make. First, I would like to emphasize that I believe it is not overpowered in the current state of the game. With an item like this, it is very possible that future items/mechanics will interact with this item to produce an overpowered result. Second, while I believe it is not overpowered (again, relative to other extremely powerful items), I also believed it is still a very strong item competitive for BiS for some builds. The light resistance and omni-damage boost alone are sufficient to make it a highly coveted misc. and the active effects are just icing on the cake.

A final note before we get to the meat of all this - when I evaluate a character build in the context of QuadForce, I am making an assumption that you have access to the top 8 of of your inventory slots and but not storage. The reason I make this assumption in general is that if you always have access to storage/plan to constantly swap for content, you can always customize your character to perfectly optimize any quest/boss/challenge you are currently doing. You would be, by definition, always overpowered and every challenge in the game would be, by definition, easy. There is no need to discuss any kind of character build. Even the "impossible" bosses can easily be defeated with 100% success.

With that out of the way, my primary reasons for believing it is not overpowered in the current state of the game are as follows:

• It is not possible to simultaneously use so many different stats effectively. Even though you are receiving an increase to your stat total, you are never truly using all of those stats while still paying the cost of those stats.
  • To the best of my knowledge, the power that QuadForce provides to the player does not overshadow the many other powerful effects that the player is able to receive currently, even when accounting for the future upcoming nerfs to items like Purple Rain/Essence Orb and discounting any bugs currently in the game.
  • With the previous 2 points in mind, the primary benefit of QuadForce is the versatility it provides. In order to take advantage of this versatility, you must customize your inventory and stats to benefit form it. I believe the versatility it brings does not justify the combination of the SP cost and the compromise to your inventory and stats.

Now, let's examine some possible use cases for QuadForce's and some interactions that the community believes makes the item overpowered to see if the above 3 points are true. Please keep in mind while reading that while under QuadForce's effect, you are not able to swap to other miscs without losing QuadForce's benefits along with a loss in SP and most of what I talk about refers to the active effects, as there is no doubt that the passive effects are very powerful (but absolutely not unprecedented).

1. Mage Receiving 250 STR: This is by far, the most useless application of this item. Let's see what you are getting for the price of 234 SP/turn. From a spell/skill usage perspective, it offers no benefits. You do not do more damage (in fact, you do less in some cases when using old standard miscs. like Blood Contract) and you are not spending less resources. If you plan to use it with regular attacks, you must replace your entire inventory with melee/range weapons and, if you are a 0 CHA build, run Therndas/Dunamis/possibly Buffalot in additional to Poelala/Arcane Amp. You are indeed doing more damage on your regular attacks. In exchange, you can never use your regular attacks again without QuadForce, possibly giving up some spellboosting weapons, spending 236 sp/turn to do what warriors/rangers do for free. You are paying the SP for 250 points of stats, but you are effectively not using your INT at all, so it's the same as having 0 INT here. Also, keep in mind that the only reason to not nuke in the current meta is to improve your resource efficiency. I don't care if you are running 16th Anniversary Cupcake, EO, PR, FT, Infinita Staff, Cometoid, DL set and Soul Gauntlet all in the same build. There is 0 efficiency to be found here. I will note that Werepyre forms can be used here to mitigate many of the downsides, but I will discuss in a later point.

2. Warrior Receiving 250 INT: This does have some uses. The reason you would want to have the INT in this case is to be able to use the Mage's utility spells or Mage's nukes, both cases will require the usage of Poelala/Arcane Amp in addition to Dunamis/Buffalot. The main utility spells that are worthy of note are pretty much just Mana Shields (I will use Book of Burns here as an example). From an efficiency perspective, this is much, much, much weaker than what mages are able to achieve. Mana Shields are realistically only good in long fights, and mages can achieve the same result without the additional SP cost every turn/restriction on items you can use to sustain that SP cost. In addition, you will also lose HP based on your remaining MP once you unequip QuadForce. However, this is still useful in certain fights, as it is possible to easily get absurdly powerful Mana Shields especially with the way that Dragonlord Shields are stacking with mana shields right now (10k+ in 1-2 turns of setup with under 0.1 MP to HP conversion rate). The other possible use of this extra INT is for the nukes. If you are planning to use mage nukes on your QuadForce warrior because you read on the armour skill ranking list that mage nukes hit harder, you can throw those blueprints into the trash bin right now. Aside from Elemental Wizard Robes + Burst spells, mage and warrior nukes are still neck to neck, at least until old standard armours are nerfed and the usage of imbues allows you to cover every element except for Wind (which I assume should be taken up by Dragonlord if you are using QuadForce). And if you plan to run Elemental Wizard Robes + Burst spells, my suggestion is to open your character page, look at your armour, spell and weapon slots, ask yourself which spells/armour/weapons you would like to replace for Elemental Wizard/4 x Burst Spells/2x Poelala/Arcane Amp/Cutlasses and then discard the idea after coming to the realization that such a build is terrible, whether you are a mage or a QuadForce warrior. The real reason you want to run mage nukes on a QuadForce warrior is the interaction between between mana regeneration effects (Mind Gauntlet, Pixel Ether, etc...) and increase in total mana pool from increased INT (this can be done with mana shield too, but I'm not sure how you may be depleting mana from just the mana shield when your base mana pool at 250 INT can sustain some 10s of thousands of damage with mana shields). Ideally, this is to be paired up with Bloodmage. This actually IS very good, as it allows you to constantly nuke without running out of mana, which is certainly worth the 236 sp/turn, especially with all the SP regen we have in the game. This is potentially very strong for activities like warring quickly, but doesn't have too many applications outside of it (it had some possible broken interactions with Invincible Star until it was changed to 1 use every 3 turns). Just keep in mind that once you unequip QuadForce to regenerate mana, you will be paying for all of that mana spent in HP. I believe after 4 casts of a blood mage spell and paying the HP cost for your mana, you actually won't have enough HP to lose at 0 END without regaining some HP (through for example, Bell Shell, in exchange for some damage) - somebody needs to confirm this for me as I'm too lazy to untrain my stats to test this. If you are able to sustain yours SP without using Miscs. or get a full restore using something like Dragonlord, you can skip the HP cost altogether. However, I do not consider this interaction to be strong enough to be broken (more about Dragonlord below).

3. Improving Status Rolls: This is on paper quite strong, especially in conjunction with Purple Rain and Essence Orb. In reality, it is far weaker. The majority of useful status effects are applied via quickcast (Love Potion, SFP, Mesmerize, Snarl, PCO, etc...) and the majority of those are on misc. items. Those are incompatible with QuadForce to improve status rolls. Only a handful of the remaining statuses require a stat that you normally wouldn't have 250 points in. The only relevant effect I can think of from the top of my head are Mesmerize and the Backlash package. The boost to mesmerize is quite strong with Purple Rain and Backlash. It's not worth 234 SP just for Mesmerize potency without PR, but you are still getting the 250 Charisma which can be very useful (I will have a separate section for Charisma/Backlash).

4. Interaction with Purple Rain/Essence Orb: There are some very strong interactions with these items. However, this is not a problem with QuadForce and more of a problem with 2 items that should never have existed (in my opinion). Let's not pretend QuadForce's interaction with these items is anywhere near as broken as some of the other interactions they allow. The usual nuke setups aside, these are items that allow for complete damage immunity, permanent celerity, permanent control, damage in the 10s of thousands in a single turn and much more. If you believe QuadForce's interaction is broken with these items, then the items to look at are these items, not really QuadForce.

5. Boosting Charisma on 0 Charisma Builds: This is likely the best stat that you can take advantage of with QuadForce. Unlike STR and INT cannot be used simultaneously and effectively, Charisma can indeed be used alongside both STR and INT, for an expected increase in power of ~50% melee. There is no stat wastage so to speak when using QuadForce to boost Charisma. We have also been getting a lot of powerful contract-type of pets/guests, which are excellent with Charisma, providing more than just the +50% melee. This gives 0 Charisma builds the option of running beastmaster pets. The problem is that even this advantage is not as strong as it initially seems, for the same reason that FO builds are perfectly comfortable with running 0 charisma - why wouldn't they just run booster pets/guests like they normally do (both the omni boosters and the elemental-specific ones), another set of items that, in my opinion, should never have been created in their current state. Aside from Lepre-chan/Manifestation, all of the them scale with INT/CHA (75/25 for elemental and and 50/50 for omni). While CHA technically improves their boost, it is important to keep in mind that these things have their boosts capped at x1.1 of their expected boost. What this means is that when using Arcane Amp+ Celtic Wheel/Buffalot + CIT, the elemental boosters will actually not gain ANY benefit from CHA and the omni boosters can gain at most +4% melee worth of damage. And while omni boosters suffer from a *0.6 modifier due to their compression, the elemental versions suffer no such disadvantage. Even when not boosting your INT through other items and these pets/guests are benefiting from CHA, the value of your own CHA stat is substantially diminished, as their damage is far less dependent on CHA than traditional pets/guests and their accuracy is not dependent at all on CHA. To add to it, booster pets/guests are simply more optimal when nuking and for offensive builds, as unlike traditional pets/guests, they have multiplicative scaling with armour lean/elecomp/lore imbue/etc. They are simply better numerically. If your goal is to boost damage with a misc, there are miscs. specifically designed for that and are far better when used with boosters. With all of this considered, with maybe a few outlier cases like FGM and Pig Drake, why would someone go through the trouble of paying for a Charisma boost to run pets/guests that are worse than what you were using before? Also remember that in order to fully take advantage of Charisma, you need to dedicate quite a few spell slots to summon guests (otherwise it will only give you +20% melee worth of damage instead of +50% melee).

6. Interaction with Resource Loopers: There is a lot of talk here about being able to infinitely sustain QuadForce with items like Infinita Staff, Dragonlord, etc. Yes, this is absolutely possible. However, one of the ideas I have been trying to get across in the previous 5 points is that centralizing your build around QuadForce will do you more harm than good. Currently, you are much better off using it as a general damage booster/light resist misc. and then use one of the actives if it happens to be useful than trying to force a build around it by compromising your inventory set-up. The resource loop is available to you with or without QuadForce, so there is no reason to force yourself to use it with QuadForce is there? Trying to use them to sustain QuadForce is a waste of their potential. They can be used to achieve much greater results. Remember, these items also have a damage penalty in exchange for their regen effects. Using them to sustain QuadForce is reducing your damage to sustain an effect that gives very minor benefits.

7. QuadForce-Specific Builds: Up to this point, I have mostly talked about common meta builds or slight variations of such builds. But what of stat/off-meta builds centred around QuadForce that is able to benefit a lot more from QuadForce? Let me start off by saying that these builds are less popular simply because they are weaker. I don't think giving these builds a boost is a bad thing at all. On the contrary, items that improve the power and hopefully popularity of such builds are needed in the game. As much as I like seeing Zerking Blood Mage Blade of Elemental Empowerment #420, we need more items like Dreadfiend, Dreamweaver's Inisght and Foam Finger to promote some of those less popular builds. But popularity aside, I need to present an actual argument for why these builds are not imbalanced. I think they key idea with using QuadForce in these builds is to compensate their weakness using QuadForce by imitating a more meta build, but at a reduced effectiveness (fewer available slots, misc. locked, SP cost). An example is a backlash build running 250 END/250 LUK/250 CHA. They gain full benefit of these stats for their backlash builds package, but as the backlash package is fairly compact, they can round out the rest of their build using the standard warrior/mage items and use QuadForce to boost their DEX/INT/STR to play as a mage/warrior. This sounds REALLY strong as you seem to be getting full benefit of 1250 points of stats. But again remember, you are just playing a gimped version of a meta build in those situations. And what is a quality of these meta builds that I said in point 5? They don't care about Charisma. And remember what I said in point 4 about massive mana shields/unlimited celerity/unlimited control/damage immunity in the game? Most of them don't really care about health total either (i.e. the philosophy of any HP number is the same as long as it is not 0). Another idea that have been floating around is using QuadForce to boost a Werepyre's DEX to play like a mage. But again, you are just playing a Mage with extra restrictions (werepyre actually have to run both Buffalot AND Arcane Amp to gain the same benefit that Warrior/Mages do with 1 spell), the trade-off for making your regular attacks quite a bit better. Also remember that when you are playing as a mage, your strength becomes a wasted 250 points of stats. Can you really call that broken? I wouldn't at least. You can even run Werepyre on a build with 0 STR/0 DEX/250 INT/250 CHA/250 LUK, boosting strength in Werepyre when you need to use normal/beast form attack and boosting DEX outside of those armours, but you still run into many of the same problems as I discussed above. Finally, I would like to make the remark that creating a build centred around QuadForce is going to substantially reduce your effectiveness outside of QuadForce. This is not something a lot of people seems to be thinking about, but it is actually VERY substantial. Take resistance miscs for example. They literally half your opponent's damage. Mathematically, that basically makes you twice as strong. Some of the recent bosses that I see people on forums/Reddit are having trouble with, especially the longer endurance battles, can literally be as easy as clicking SFP until you are out of SP, equipping the armour/shield with the most appropriate resistance, putting on your pet/guest of choice, equipping that random resistance misc. you are running (e.g. Zfinity Gauntlets, Cyclop Eye), move your mouse over the attack button and click the left mouse button until the target is dead. Forcing you to pick between using a misc. outside of TriForce but reduce the effectiveness of your build or using QuadForce for an SP cost while substantially reducing your effectiveness of the enemy in front of you can be very disadvantageous against many of the modern bosses. You can make your "secondary build" an FD build by receiving CHA, but remember that the point of FD build is resource/damage taken to damage dealt ratio efficiency, and that SP cost is not doing you favours in that department. You can use Jelly to sustain the cost, but at that point, you are paying SP to improve your pet which you are using to sustain the SP cost on the effect that was used to boost the pet in the first place. Does that make any sense to you?

In conclusion, QuadForce is not currently overpowered. I would compare it to an item like Windter Crown, maybe a bit stronger - a very strong item but nowhere near game-breaking in comparison with existing mechanics. While it seemingly provides massive benefits, next to a pure warrior/mage's peak and lack of restrictions, most of those benefits are too superficial or insignificant for the compromises that you need to make to truly take advantage of these benefits. However, QuadForce COULD one day become overpowered with future items due to the nature of its active effects. In the long term, it may become a restriction for newer and more creative item/mechanic design. If we were to nerf QuadForce, it should be for the sake of its possible impact on the game balance combined with future content, rather than its impact on the current game balance.

Thank you for coming to my TED talks.

< Message edited by lolerster -- 3/25/2021 15:58:53 >
  • AQ  Post #: 28
    3/25/2021 15:51:35   
    Caecus

Edit: Lol Ninja'd. Looks like lolerster has a similar POV to me.

IMO, Quadforce isn't as OP as it would initially seem, for reasons that have been elucidated. It certainly interacts with other OP items but enough has been said about that. The reason I think it is balanced (on its own) for me comes down to a simple binary.

Option 1: Having 250 in a stat is "good/mandatory" for your build.

In this case you're going to have to put 250 points into it anyway otherwise you'll always need QF active and miss out on any other misc. That is a huge penalty both in SP and opportunity cost and thus QF isn't a true benefit.

Option 2. Having 250 in a stat isn't "good/mandatory" for your build.

In this case, it is certainly nice to have the option to boost the stat when necessary and leave it uninvested otherwise. Quadforce gives you that versatility. However, it's not terribly powerful because it means you're not doing what the rest of your inventory is built for. You're using QF for versatility and forgoing a misc and SP that would normally be used for power. Ex. mages gain charisma (for use with boosters) but lose out on much cheaper damage boosts, a burn build is foregoing stacking with the oni mask, backlashers lose out on chaos orb. You get raw stats but lose out on the "special effects" that tend to make the most optimized misc items useful.

Essentially, quadforce lets you do "everything" which seems really powerful on the surface. But in the majority of cases it doesn't let you do anything more than a player would usually be able to do if they chose to invest their stats that way. It is matter of increased, on demand, versatility not power. It actually ends up feeling similar to werepyre wherein, yes you can be a hybrid but there's no massive benefit to it. There's a reason the most OP build are pure builds. We lack items that make hybridization an actual value add to optimized builds. At the end of the day QF lets you play a blander, less powerful, version of any given build on demand. That's certainly not nothing but I don't think it's OP given the cost.

All that said, I do worry that QF constrains future item design and is likely to be problematic down the road. It messes with so many assumptions that are intrinsic to the models in the game that there is very likely to be an OP scenario that develops. And finally, while the "builds" enabled by QF are actually significantly weaker than their "standard" equivalents, there is no denying that the item make it feel like build identity is decreased. The math doesn't actually bear this out for optimized inventories but at the end of the day, perception is an important thing to consider. For some, it doesn't feel right that they are the "most optimal" beast ranger but another build can get 85% of the way there at the click of a button. For me, that final 15% makes all the difference in the world but that's always going to come down to personal preference.

I am intrigued by the idea of it just swapping stats around. If that could be done, like a modern (and hopefully not bugged) version of the astramorph items, I think that would go a long way towards mitigating the concerns that others seem to have.

< Message edited by Caecus -- 3/25/2021 15:54:32 >
    Post #: 29
    3/28/2021 21:33:18   
    Legendary Ash

From the start, Quadforce had been inconsistent with balance standards due to four conflicting characteristics: surpasses the 50 Stat boost cap of a misc, that would designate it as a skill whose power is unrestricted and proportional to cost, yet it has characteristics of a misc that isn't skill compression, which are Stat toggles with a MC bonus and is a per turn upkeep, an update where its Stat boost cost was changed from misc to skill-level.

Foam Finger's release set the precedent that equipment could simultaneously have a Power MC and compress modes where upkeep is paid like a skill as additional power tacked onto the MC as long as its a toggle.
    Spacefarer's Frost Cannon was a more recent product of this newer standard.

Taken from Quadforce (Charisma boost) + Double Poelala vs. Blood Contract + Double Poelala
    quote:

Quadforce's Stat boost was initially at a discounted 2/3 upkeep and an +1/3 update made it standard skill cost -10% always useful and +5% MC at a 45.1%*4/3 melee upkeep, 250 Mainstat is +48.125% melee in damage and +22.06% melee in BtH.

A Warrior with Quadforce's Wisdom toggled after it was updated to increase mana has two full mana bars to claim through the Rewind abilities of Purple Rain and (Mystic) Father Time each, worth 1000% melee, but for an Sp cost instead of an Hp cost.
    With a resistance scrambler like Prime Chaos Orb, one can afford to exchange a few Bloodzerker Armors for Bloodmages to utilize the mana.

A Mage with Quadforce's Power toggled has changed their Armor skills to a Warrior's cost, which is 80% of a Mage's, gains are produced past the equivalence point of an Overcharged skill whose Melee/Ranged Sp cost is worth 255% melee.

Devs should decide on one of two equipment standard identities of Quadforce and change it to be entirely consistent with that of a skill or misc.

The setting of a stat to 250 with the assumption that the character has zero investment in it previously for its cost, produces inefficiencies for the infinite number of positive stat values that are allowed to exist within the limits of the engine, it invites mixed feelings for players with such builds who want to include it as part of their equipment.
    A cost that reflects the actual benefits of an effect, whether that means its current stat boost mechanism for a scaled cost of 250-Investedstat or an additive boost for a static cost, is most preferable.

Devs may be feeling generous to reward Guardians for their financial contributions to AE, they may decide to have it on skill standards, the MC will be spent on compression instead of being used to lower upkeep, thus it will be of lower efficiency than Buffalot/Grace/Arcane/Poca giving it one negative aspect while it provides a competitive 250 Stat boost, additionally it will reduce its cost to reflect actual stats gained through a (Boost-StatTrained)/Boost modifier.

Otherwise Devs may decide to have it on misc standards the most effective choice and safe choice to tone it down, the Power MC remains on the Stat boosts and it adheres to the cap of 50 for a single stat, the unique flavor of Quadforce's manual activation of toggles, to never have unproductive stat boosts is retained, however standard misc practices of a lower individual maximum a -5% per additional stat type will be in effect, for example 47.5 for two, 45 for three, 42.5 for four and 40 for five.
    AQ  Post #: 30
    3/31/2021 13:16:10   
    GwenMay

Some of my feedback I already gave on Discord, but I will just put a few of my thoughts here too.

I think the problem with Quadforce is the ability to set any stat, much less four, to 250. This just breaks every balance standard we have; with all four toggled, a level 150 character can effectively have the stats of a level 350 character. I frankly do not think there is any way to keep the "set to 250" functionality and have the misc be in standards; best to just fix it right the first time.

The question is, how do we change Quadforce while still retaining its identity and some of its functionality? I think a great example of a change like this is the CiT change; it went from being the best damage shield period to being the best damage shield for warriors and in-line with the Celtic Wheel/Fujin/Pie toggle shields.

I think the core "aspect" or functionality of Quadforce is 1) having four toggles and 2) impacting four stats. With that in mind, the best way to change Quadforce is just to make the toggles +50 for each stat with a toggle akin to celtic wheel/CiT (maybe a little more expensive). This would keep the base functionality while removing the balance breaking aspect. This would also frankly probably be the easiest way to change the misc without taking up a lot of staff time or making everyone mad by nerfing one of the best miscs in the game to being unusable.

I think the other acceptable change would be to give it four different effects a la Bag of Mixed Nuts (which I think is a great example of a powerful misc that does four things without breaking the game). If this route is taken, I think staff should make a separate thread to ask for ideas (or just use the unused ideas in the Bag of Mixed Nuts thread).

AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 31
    4/2/2021 12:54:39   
    rai0kakashi

I fully support the suggestion of toggling +50 for each stat!

It is balanced and it is an easy fix to the Quadforce problem of being too OP.

< Message edited by rai0kakashi -- 4/5/2021 0:41:13 >
    Post #: 32
    4/13/2021 0:23:21   
    Ninjaty

quote:

We're aware that the item is overpowered. Nerfs that increased its toggle costs haven't effectively contained the issue, in no small part because of the broken interactions with such items as Essence Orb, Purple Rain, Essence Orb, Haunted/Eclipsed Dragonlord weapons, and Essence Orb. (My wit is truly boundless) Particularly when the stats to make said weapons effective can be gained from Quadforce in the firstplace.

If the ability to consistently and/or instantly generate one's available resources, in this case SP, makes abilities like that of the QuadForce, which consumes the resource for their functionality, seem stronger than intended, then I think the look should be in the abilities to generate the resource, rather than those consuming it.

There is a huge potential for creative items that could be created and balanced solely on the fact that resources are not easily renewable, or at least takes a fixed (with some variability) amount of time. But many such items would suddenly not be okay, simply because of how easy it is to generate the resource at will. If items that generate SP can make those that use it suddenly be "OP", then surely they are the real problem, as those items consuming it would have been fine otherwise.

Being able to generate the amount of SP one wants at any time, effectively is the same as printing money; it undermines the very resource itself, and as a result, prices paid with that resource are no longer sufficient to justify what you get for those prices. How long would the mighty US dollar retain its value, if the US government allowed people to freely print their own copies? How long until other forms of payment would need to compensate? That is the very issues we see here, in my view. It is not that the QuadForce is inherently unbalanced, but rather that it has been placed into a game, in which the currency spent to allow for its existence has been devalued. No wonder it seems overly cheap, when the renewable resource paying for it is now no longer a gentle stream, but instead has turned into a waterfall.

So what is more important to fix? The limited items that currently exist, which can generate and thus undermine SP? Or all potentially future and interesting items which consumes it?
    Sure, you could make the QuadForce worse and have interesting concepts never see the light of day, just because they don't go well with the ever increasing desire to generate (what may as well be) infinite SP in a very short time. Or you could reclaim the value that this resource has lost, so that it may continue to pay for interesting things in the future.

The QuadForce is a powerful item. Very powerful indeed. But that should not distract from the fact that power can be justified for the right price, and any price is difficult to pay if the currency is no good anymore. The longer the problem of SP generaters continues to be ignored and the more of them comes into existence, the more difficult and time consuming it will be to fix.

I rarely make use of SP generators, so I mostly have to spend a fight saving up for using QuadForce, and it might not last me long, depending on how I use it. Even if the QuadForce will need to be changed in some way, I still believe the biggest change should come to the generators responsible for devaluing the resources that was used to justify the QuadForce in the first place.

That is just my take on it. Ninjaty awaaaaaay.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 4/13/2021 0:27:28 >
    Post #: 33
    4/14/2021 0:37:14   
    Korriban Gaming

quote:

I think the core "aspect" or functionality of Quadforce is 1) having four toggles and 2) impacting four stats. With that in mind, the best way to change Quadforce is just to make the toggles +50 for each stat with a toggle akin to celtic wheel/CiT (maybe a little more expensive). This would keep the base functionality while removing the balance breaking aspect. This would also frankly probably be the easiest way to change the misc without taking up a lot of staff time or making everyone mad by nerfing one of the best miscs in the game to being unusable.

I agree with this point. You can still toggle 4 stats on if you wish but capping it at 50 would not make it gamebreakingly OP.

quote:

Being able to generate the amount of SP one wants at any time, effectively is the same as printing money; it undermines the very resource itself, and as a result, prices paid with that resource are no longer sufficient to justify what you get for those prices. How long would the mighty US dollar retain its value, if the US government allowed people to freely print their own copies? How long until other forms of payment would need to compensate? That is the very issues we see here, in my view. It is not that the QuadForce is inherently unbalanced, but rather that it has been placed into a game, in which the currency spent to allow for its existence has been devalued. No wonder it seems overly cheap, when the renewable resource paying for it is now no longer a gentle stream, but instead has turned into a waterfall.

This is also the main source of the problem for many of the broken items in the game if you ask me. It's really the synergy with certain items like PR and resource trading items like EO that makes many items as OP as they are. If HP/MP/SP weren't such a large pool (to the point of being infinite) of resources that we can tap into, it would not be such a big problem. Not saying that SP healing stuff should be removed but all similar items should be toned down along with PR. Resource trading items like candy bag or EO also wouldn't be that effective anymore if our resources are more "limited"
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 34
    5/13/2021 1:39:00   
    Mr. Roguish
    Banned

I agree with Lolester and Korriban gaming.

1. The misc creates whole new non meta build opportunities that are balanced in the sense that you give up so much relying on the misc that it only barely reaches competitiveness with the more mainstream and/or pure builds. Unrestricted liberty in customization help players create unique characters to effectively roleplay and feasibly competitively use nigh any equipment; meeting the intent to not objectively have 1 best set for each element and lean. These kinds of things only promote self-expression, a sense of belonging and accomplishment, and satisfying game play especially for those that dont play vanilla. Ultimately, the only people who really get out of the misc are the people who center their builds around the misc entirely which has very high tolls not only in maintenance if SP, but the difficulty in the specification of the equipment in your inventory. I don't think the misc should be changed.

2. As Kerrigan mentioned, I think the real issue at hand are the nigh infinite resources players have at their disposal, however I will go deeper than that. Ultimately what are players doing with these resources? People are gonna hate me for this but: Nukes *audiences hisses*, yes nukes are the issue or nigh invincibility with the Dragonlord shields. It seems like a lot of the balance issue with today's meta is stunlocking your opponent and doing a few nukes to obliterate your opponent in less than half the intended time.
    I think a very rational solution to this would be to treat nukes like the assist, Purple Rain, or Charge skills/spells, that they either have a set number of times they can be used per battle and/or they have a set number of turns you have to wait inbetween. This should obviously be relative to the power of the skill.
    Have the armor skills (even the ones that cost MP, be completely separated from MP and SP and put a limit per turn and/or battle. Regular (non armor related, spell menu) spells will use MP (even those nukes can have a cap like Invincible Star). The players that have to take the time to create 200 IQ set ups shouldn't be punished when they're already having to do so much just to be competitive versus the people who just celerity and nuke.

< Message edited by Mr. Roguish -- 5/13/2021 1:48:10 >
    Post #: 35
    5/13/2021 19:02:01   
    Aura Knight

I don't think quadforce is anything that amazing. The only benefit would be an optional though additional 250 stats in something you have set at 0 and if you kept that stat at 0 you were already likely used to not having any points in it anyway so what exactly does quadforce add for you? Simplest thing would be to restrict its use to only a stat that started at 0 but maybe have the boost only last a few turns only and be once per battle.

The absurdity in this lies in the interaction with the intellect boost. For a warrior to equip quadforce and activate the intellect boost to get the same mana amount as a mage makes no sense. This would then allow the warrior to take advantage of mana shields to the point they likely won't get hit at all unless some monster can crush through the shield effect. If you can additionally use purple rain with this to save your boosted mp then turn off quadforce effect, purple rain back to the full mp you had with quad being active, turn on quad a second time and get 2x the mana at a stat of 0, that's just insane. I don't really use the misc but if it does work that way, that's a bit much.

A misc that could be considered as a means of how to change quad would be something like the astramorph which grants use of the shearhide form. That one changes your stats by taking existing ones and adding them to other which could have otherwise been 0. Maybe quadforce can do that instead of simply adding a free 250 stats where there were none for no cost at all. SP regen effects are too powerful. For example you can be a mage with 0 endurance but 250 charisma. Using quad you can swap your charisma stat for endurance and maybe in return you lose access to your pet slot or something.

I doubt I'd use quadforce much because I can't see a reason to need it. It's good but feel it's a bit overhyped when at best it could be a +50 booster for some stats while being 250 for a stat you would otherwise not even need at all in your strategy.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 36
    5/14/2021 7:32:55   
    Sapphire

Quadforce is overpowered compared to most miscs, but in my opinion the old guard on what miscs can and should do is boring, constrictive, and repetitive. I am all for using miscs as a way to give a player favor in battle. They're probably the most difficult item class to balance and have standards for, and unless you unbound these restrictive chains it all just becomes bland.

That said, the problem is not quadforce and the other problems isnt the new item. Its what happens when you combine it with other things....ie SP regen. Quick cast utility, purple rain type rollbacks that keep statuses.

You could greatly increase SP cost on quadforce, but with potential SP regen this does nothing. The problem is essence orb, new SP regen options. This all have to be addressed. If essence orb was nerfed, if these SP regen items were nerfed (there some MP regen that need it, too) then you wouldn't be claiming how OP quadforce is because you'd use it for only 5 turns (1 stat) or 2-3 turns (2 stats). That's not game breaking, and if thats all youd use it for you would also not have actively using gear that takes advantage. It just becomes the occasional utility like I think it was intended.

I do think the "extra" stuff it does needs to go way, like damage boost and luck increase etc. It does need adjusted.

But even if it wasnt, a major adjustment to these other synergistic things also fixes other OP stuff that ALSO utilizes the SAME items .

"Quadforce is OP" is a distraction.

And really, I believe the SP system needs swept. Staff is literally having different SP costs at times for "magic" and "melee".

The SP bar maxes at 1470 based on level. It should have an add-on based on STR. Warriors and hybrids should get more SP than mage builds, and then no more different SP coding based on weapon type. OR, SP regen gives you Str/2 added per round.

Then nerf all these SP regen items back to planet earth.

< Message edited by SapphireCatalyst2021 -- 5/14/2021 7:39:46 >
    Post #: 37
    12/5/2021 2:02:16   
    roobee

quote:

But more importantly, the booster pet users get to nullify, for a some SP cost, the nerf to the booster pets. The nerf I am mentioning was that INT/STR/DEX no longer gave 100% of the boost, rather only 75% of the old boost comes from the primary stat while the other 25% would come from the CHA stats. And anybody can correct on this one if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell at lvl 150, the poelala pet + guest 25% CHA based damage boost should be equivalent to a total of +21%(ish) dmg for weapon dmg.

Later on, CHA became 50% instead of 25% for omni boosters. I don't know if there any other changes besides that not mentioned in the encyclopedia entry. lolerster mentions something about a *.6 modifier.

quote:

What this means is that when using Arcane Amp+ Celtic Wheel/Buffalot + CIT, the elemental boosters will actually not gain ANY benefit from CHA and the omni boosters can gain at most +4% melee worth of damage

I don't know the current formulas for booster pets. But why do you say +4% melee here but +9.3% damage in another thread?
    quote:

A whopping +3.7% damage boost on the pet and +5.6% on the guest

edit: Another consideration is that Arcane Amp/Buffalot are premium items. How much of a boost would QuadForce give to boosters if only using Celtic/CIT?

quote:

The resource loop is available to you with or without QuadForce, so there is no reason to force yourself to use it with QuadForce is there?

Isn't QuadForce what enables mages to use melee weapon SP regeneration? Such as infinita staff since DL got changed.

quote:

A Mage with Quadforce's Power toggled has changed their Armor skills to a Warrior's cost, which is 80% of a Mage's, gains are produced past the equivalence point of an Overcharged skill whose Melee/Ranged Sp cost is worth 255% melee.

Doesn't the SP cost of Quadforce + Power toggle cancel out the SP savings from melee/ranged skills?
    Post #: 38
    12/5/2021 8:45:15   
      Lorekeeper
    And Pun-isher

Magic items having different SP costs is the opposite of a balance problem, it is itself a counterbalance and directly based on the 25% lower melee value of a turn spent attacking with a magic weapon. Equalizing SP costs would be an extensive effort on the scale of the old sweep that would severely set back both balance and build identity -- Neither plausible nor good.

By the same token, boosting SP capacity based on any main stat would be arbitrary and overpowered in a different direction. SP is specifically meant to be a build-agnostic resource, even if the constraints of the resource's recovery rate were felt more quickly by other builds for the longest time.
    Post #: 39
    12/6/2021 2:30:33   
    Dr Disrespect
    Helpful!

@Cray
    As you said, EO and PR are the main culprits. Once they are balanced, Quadforce will automatically fall in line. The item itself doesn't need to be nerfed, it's perfectly fine as it is. Fixing the bugged SP regen on the Dragonlord weapons was a step in the right direction.
    Post #: 40
    12/6/2021 8:08:20   
    Sapphire

Quadforce has already been reigned in with the dragonlord change. I was actually running the werepyre hybrid build using dragonlord weapons, testing both pure hybrid and a mage build with the quadforce hybridization via strength toggle at the time of the change.

The 4 hit beast mode was full healing SP, and you could keep quadforce out, even using TWO stats, indefinitely. Now, you can't do that. That setup made werepyre hybrid overpowered, tbh. And it allowed a pure mage to heal SP fully, as well, if he chose to be a werepyre.

A pure mage can use infinita staff with strength toggle from quadforce and the damage versus 100% darkness pretty much washes out the high SP cost of quadforce, and with increased darkness, along with a few damage buffs it will outheal the SP cost, but it isnt crazy significant.

I know I have mentioned the notion of better SP regen for warriors, to utilize skills more often to have them catch up to mages. I do think SP regenning weapons (Id love to see a misc similar to rejuvenating necklace that did this) Basicly SP regenning weapons IS faster regen since warriors will be doing more damage. But I guess I kind of don't like it when people refer to issues as "modern X means the following" or "the intent is the following" because I think the argument divorces itself from reality. And to be specific, Sp amounts, it's regen, etc I'm sure is based on "the turn model" that's a million years old now, where we assume 2 battles @ 10 turns each.

IDK about anyone else, but WHAT FIGHTS ARE LASTING 10 TURNS? There are so many effects now, and continued power creep, that the "model" either needs MASSIVELY adjusted, or items/monsters/effects, etc need to be reigned in to match the model. So IMO, continued outlook based on a model that long hasn't been in place is simply not recognizing things. I'm not saying this to have the thought process of SP changed per say, as much as I think people should understand if you're going to use arguments based on how things are supposed to be in theory, without acknowledging potential reality that perhaps things may not actually BE that way, it defeats the point of going there. For the SP argument, it's probably fine as-is, even if I still do think warriors may need a *touch* more help someplace.

For Purple Rain, IMO, just have it only reset HP. It would be more like a heal. No more quick cast abuse.

< Message edited by SapphireCatalyst2021 -- 12/6/2021 8:39:00 >
    Post #: 41
    12/6/2021 10:18:41   
    Zennistrad

quote:

IDK about anyone else, but WHAT FIGHTS ARE LASTING 10 TURNS? There are so many effects now, and continued power creep, that the "model" either needs MASSIVELY adjusted, or items/monsters/effects, etc need to be reigned in to match the model.

Models aren't generally meant to be 100% accurate to the effects that they simulate. In the case of the 10-turn model in AQ, it's intended to simulate what the average battle looks like when equipped with nothing but un-MC'd gear.

While I can't know the developers' exact intentions here, I think it's pretty obvious that players were always supposed to be able to cut down the actual number of turns spent in battle to less than ten. The model is the most basic level of capability that a player is expected to have in terms of equipment and abilities; it represents a floor, not a ceiling.
    AQ  Post #: 42
    12/6/2021 10:43:44   
      Lorekeeper
    And Pun-isher

To balance around both minimum capabilities and the skill ceiling is a functional necessity of game design and not, as it has been overtly stated a frankly excessive amount of times, divorced from reality. Balancing exclusively around minimum capabilities results in an utter absence of difficulty, while forming a model around peak performance makes said performance necessary to get by for every fight, leaving everyone else in the dust. The former would drastically reduce design space for interesting items or lead to a forced performance ceiling, while the latter would make things even worse for new and returning players. Either would run directly, and extremely, counter to both reason and ongoing improvement efforts.
    Post #: 43
    12/6/2021 14:42:24   
    Sapphire

Understood. A middle ground is always best. It's another form of compromise.
    Post #: 44
    12/6/2021 16:49:11   
    OG Ranger

quote:

As you said, EO and PR are the main culprits. Once they are balanced, Quadforce will automatically fall in line. The item itself doesn't need to be nerfed, it's perfectly fine as it is. Fixing the bugged SP regen on the Dragonlord weapons was a step in the right direction.

This. It's such an overrated misc.
    AQ  Post #: 45
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> RE: QuadForce: A second look.
    Page 2 of 2<12
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition