Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= April 16th Design Notes: Book 3: The Royal Resistance: The Spark of the Soul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= April 16th Design Notes: Book 3: The Royal Resistance: The Spark of the Soul
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/16/2021 22:20:17   
  Peachii
Clairvoyant!

quote:

Verlyrus:
Book 3: The Royal Resistance: The Spark of the Soul

Hey there, heroes!

This week, we return to Book 3's main story! Last time, as the Greenguard Alliance made their way deeper into the ruins under the guidance of Ostromir, Jaania decided on a new path of action, Warlic and Alexander provide sanctuary to a fleeing former foe, and Amadeus' plans take one more step closer to fruition.

Now, as the Greenguard Alliance approaches the Lagohm stronghold defending the Doomwood rift, Jaania buries herself in her work... and formulates a world-changing new theory.

Head over to Queen Victoria in Book 3 Swordhaven, then the Royal Resistance Doomwood camps to play this week's release: The Spark of the Soul!

Also this week, some balance changes and bugfixes! (These may require cache clear to properly show up)
  • Red Fruit: Removed Block, applied Crit down to +100 from +200, 'Stuffed' applied for 20 turns, down from 30.
  • Yellow Fruit: Removed Dodge, Stuffed applied for 20 turns, down from 30. (+10 All unchanged)
  • Green Fruit: Removeed Parry, applied Health resist up to -25, up from -10, Stuffed applied for 20 turns, down from 30.
  • Quest 'Direct Current': Added automatic heals before the third and sixth gauntlet battles.
  • Fixed a bug where the Nythera and Warlic challenges could progress the Baleful Brothers challenge.
  • Fixed a bug where the Yalla and Braytes San challenges could progress the Escherion challenge.
  • Fixed a bug where paying to skip potion training could progress past the character level limit (resulting in potions incorrectly healing only 100 HP or MP).
  • DEX now increases all damage by DEX/4000% (down from 3*DEX/8000%), and no longer requires a DoT to be appliedd to gain the damage bonus.
    • In other words, DEX now adds 5% more damage at 200 DEX (down from 7.5% damage at 200 DEX), as well as 50% more damage on DoTs.

Finally, we're beginning the search for new testers!

Details about the position:
  • This is an unpaid volunteer position.
  • You will be required to sign an NDA. (since testers get some peeks at things that are not to be shared)
  • You must be 18 or older.
  • You will be expected to explore, test, and diagnose new releases and potential changes to the game.
Position obligations:
  • While we're not strict about scheduling, and we very much encourage an "irl comes first" mindset, the more you're able to show up and help, the better. Unfortunately, this means that if you can only show up "sometimes", this may not be for you.
  • Most testing is done on Friday afternoons.
  • A good attitude and good communication skills are necessary.
  • Of course, you must have a DragonFable character and account.
  • As DragonFable has a wide spread of types of content, you must be willing to test outside your comfort zone. For example, you will be expected to test challenges, as well as story content. This doesn't mean you must be optimal, but at least willing to try and give your best.
Applications will close on Friday, April 30th. We're looking to bring on five new testers, although that may change depending on the quality of applicants.

Please do not contact staff or testers about your application status.

Also, one application per person, please.

If you are accepted, we will send you an e-mail to the address you provide in the application.

Please understand that due to the expected volume of applications, we will not be able to reply to all applications, but all will be manually reviewed.

Apply here using this this Google form application!

Having trouble with any fights? Have feedback about recent releases? Have any crazy theories or ideas? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus
DF AQW  Post #: 1
4/16/2021 23:17:22   
Khoifish25

Interesting, if not straight forward quest whose main purpose is the ending cutscene. Though fighting the boss with my Ascended Chickencow Lord was quite a challenge, though I did succeed in the end.

Heaven have mercy on the soul that tried this quest with NORMAL Chickencow Lord XD

Post #: 2
4/16/2021 23:22:06   
AstralCodex

I really liked this quest a lot. The boss had two cool mechanics while not being super challenging, lightning trap spam was really cool, and the new character introduced is super cute! I also thought the inclusion of the heal option before the boss was great, especially for those of us who have a habit of running into lightning traps. :)

I also like the new DEX change - this tones down the damage a bit, while making DEX classes a bit easier to use, since you no longer have to fret about if you have a DoT up before clicking your damaging skill.
DF  Post #: 3
4/17/2021 0:34:05   
Primo_

What a really great release! I'm more hyped for future main story releases now that we're really nearing the arc's close and potentially opening a very anticipated one :)
The DEX change is very welcome. Having the DEX boost not tied to having a dot/hot to the opponent + a damage bonus to your DoTs is pretty epic.

Oh and goodluck to all the applicants!
DF  Post #: 4
4/17/2021 0:47:55   
Laeon val Observis

Now that I’ve cleared the most recent story, lemme give my takes…
On combat:
spoiler:

1. CW can trounce without much issue, but classes with smaller hit counts and decent shielding are a must.
2. You’ll find it much easier to clear if you pay attention to quest dialogues.
3. Whatever tactics you used against the previous quest will work fine here.
4. Looking forward to what we’ll get in this arc (no pun intended. Looking more like a cape in the making).

As per the story:
spoiler:

Where did Jaania even get a copy of that book? Last one I know that’s on our side of Lore is in Falconreach Libraseum, and Falconreach isn’t too welcoming to Rose members.

< Message edited by Laeon val Observis -- 4/17/2021 0:48:13 >
DF AQW  Post #: 5
4/17/2021 1:42:10   
Primate Murder

spoiler:

Eulin tries to pull a Sally, but rolls a natural 1 on the diplomacy save!
AQ DF  Post #: 6
4/17/2021 4:16:37   
Dratomos
Helpful!

I really liked this quest. Once again, the main story doesn't disappoint. And the main boss being challenging was a welcome bonus.
DF AQW  Post #: 7
4/17/2021 5:31:37   
Vaalirus

spoiler:

Lupin straight up wasn't having any talk-no-jutsu today

Also I'm now sad we don't have a carrying animation for our dragon

I'm also curious as to where Jaania was able to acquire the forbidden magic book because the only way I can see her getting it is if she somehow was able to request it from the library in Falconreach as the only other copies, that we know of, are located in Azayver. In addition, it would seem that Jaania is now going to try her hand at soul weaving or fleshweaving which if so we might have a better idea now of what Secundus might be after beyond ensuring his own creation, what he does after sending Roirr and Vaal back in time, the mana core.

I might be, and probably am, way off base here but if Jaania is planning to use weaving abilities to interact with the mana core then her best bet would be to search for people that are capable of teaching her the essentials in the time she has as well as an elemental spirit companion in order to weave. Her only options then would be either us, which we certainly aren't going to do, Edelia, which I doubt will help her, Belle and Khrovost, which Avatars help us if she finds out Belle is still alive, and lastly Piotr/Secundus.

The latter of which are just waiting in Ravenloss doing who knows what. What I'm thinking here is that in addition to what's being planned with Aegis, Secundus is also planning to use Jaania in order to have a direct link with the Mana core as something that might serve as a pseudo ignominious, a puppet on very tight strings. It might be possible that he'll send Piotr as a potential advisor to her or find other ways to lead her to him in order to bond with her as an elemental spirit companion and he'll either immediately teach her fleshweaving or ease her into it after teaching her soul weaving techniques. Either scenario would depend on how desparate Jaania is on influencing the Mana Core while the Proclomations are still active.

The question is then is why Secundus would want the Mana core? I believe the reason would be here is that while Vaal and Roirr ceased to exist once Secundus was formed that Secundus still ultimately at his core still desires power like his previous selves did and not just power but godlike power, the kind of power that allows one to shape the very fabric of the world. That's just my crazy theory though on what little we just learned.
DF  Post #: 8
4/17/2021 8:35:13   
Flabagast

spoiler:

And so we get know Eulin's quirky little family a bit better. Can't wait to meet Dad!

Also, aren't these the same revelations that Jaania explained to Akanthus and Zadd in the previous quest? I'm a little unsure as to how the last part of the cutscene gives us anything new concerning her theory of Mana. Unless she somehow missed that Soulweaving would be the key to performing the spell she plans to use. I don't mean to pick holes in the story, but to me it seems that this realisation ought to take place before what we saw in Direct Current.

I really hope I don't sound too demeaning; I really do love this story and I only feel the need to point these things out because of how much I appreciate it's quality and consistency.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
4/17/2021 11:54:02   
moe

Is the backpiece used for something? I merged all the pieces into it. Now what?
AQW  Post #: 10
4/17/2021 13:58:27   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

^Now you must wait until the completion of the Doomwood Rift.

spoiler:

Forbidden magic means no good, especially for Jaania and the events surrounding the First Weaver. I'm starting to think that Akanthus picked up the Forbidden Magicks book and give it to her, so that he can put her on a path on no return...
DF  Post #: 11
4/17/2021 16:20:07   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

spoiler:

Oh god, when Jaania started thinking about that book, I had some mild Tanislav's last will PTSD! But I wonder if she will either find/trick a Soulweaver to help her or we will cross the Rose and Ravenloss storylines and put Secundus into it. Its also a fair reminder that:

1 - The First Weaver saga, a.k.a. Vaal and Roirr's murderous roadtrip and bloody boogaloo, is set in the future, by how much? We do not know, but since it ended up with the complete ANIHILATION of the entire magister council and total havok on the citadel as the shapeless was released rampant, which means there would be no Magesters to manage those rifts so they open and close around. Safe to assume while the doomwood rift happens, Roirr haven't arrived at the citadel yet.

2 - That also means Secundus is pre-occupied, as his most important task is completing the timeloop of his own existance by sending what was left of Roirr back in time to become Secundus. So until he kicks that psychotic bum down the timey-wimey hole, he is sorta bound to a perfect timing less he wants to become an inconsistent PARADOX! He sure is gonna get an earful from Doctor When sometime soon... Pity the Avatar of Time is a non-canon class and not an NPC, he would slap everyone across the head for these temporal shenanigans xD

3 - Also, Jaania is not a moron, the moment she looks at Secundus's four-eyed, flaming and stringy frame, she is gonna turn around and say "NOPE!"
DF AQW  Post #: 12
4/17/2021 17:35:21   
Laeon val Observis

@Flabagast
spoiler:

Based on her tone, I won’t be surprised that this is approaching the same vibe as to when Danyel used Baltael’s words as a possible means to take down Roirr. Even so, with how the Magesterium got their hands on a core fragment, I don’t look at the mana core as something like how Yu-Gi-Oh’s World Legacy card lore describes World Gears of Theurlogical Demiurgy. That is, a device that allows mortals to manipulate powers that make them god-like.

@moe, patience. At the earliest, we should be getting the final product next week. And I already dropped my suspicions on my own spoiler just by looking at shop name alone.
DF AQW  Post #: 13
4/18/2021 2:53:57   
dragoonanime

The automatic heals on Direct Current are not working. I will get to the 4th battle in a row and there will be no healing.
Post #: 14
4/18/2021 11:42:28   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

Ah, that didn't go live for some reason. Should be working now. Thanks for the heads up.
AQ MQ  Post #: 15
4/18/2021 11:49:27   
Roc

@Verlyrus

For the next Reimagined, how about making monsters/enemies cost mana on themselves to make mana targeting skills (like DoomKnight's Necrotic Strike) functional?
Post #: 16
4/18/2021 14:18:37   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

@roc
or maybe a mechanic where targeting mana rewards you somehow, like straight-out regens YOUR mana. I believe most mana-stealing classes don't have any way to regen mana, and since monsters usualy have little mana like 100 or so (I think just to not leave a 0 mana bar everytime), it wouldn't be broken. It would be essentialy a one-time per battle ~100 mana regen.
DF AQW  Post #: 17
4/18/2021 17:46:27   
Laeon val Observis

You two do realize that there is practically no application for anti-MP mechanics in this game. The last time we ever got an MP using foe in story mode were ice dragons, but it was just a proof of concept that didn't fly. The most recent even discourages disrupting his mana as you’ll want him to lose his buffs and get stunned for a turn for overloading. Even the reimagine done to the dragon base classes, which includes the replacement of their mana strike skills with something more cohesive to their playstyle, accentuate this. There’s really no sense trying to waste a turn to deal damage to MP which could have been for HP.
DF AQW  Post #: 18
4/18/2021 21:52:26   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

Which is why there should be something WORTH targeting enemy's Mana! Like recovering your own! Recovering health, debuffing the enemy, etc. The idea given is that the effect is crazy powerful, but it won't work if the enemy have 0 mana, essentialy giving something really strong a balanced limitation thats new to the game.
DF AQW  Post #: 19
4/18/2021 22:32:40   
dragoonanime

Any tips on defeating the boss? It seems like almost every turn my attacks miss.
Post #: 20
4/18/2021 22:38:51   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

^This boss have a reactive +300 MPM shield that triggers after you hit it 3 times during your turn as well as a -Energy debuff that stacks that happens 3 times in his rotation along with a powerful attacks that happens in his sixth turn. This pedia entry covers it: https://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=22391231. You want a strong class that have low hitcount and strong defenses like Techno or Necro for it.

< Message edited by DemonicDarkwraith -- 4/18/2021 22:40:57 >
DF  Post #: 21
4/18/2021 23:15:10   
stratuscone

quote:

Which is why there should be something WORTH targeting enemy's Mana! Like recovering your own! Recovering health, debuffing the enemy, etc. The idea given is that the effect is crazy powerful, but it won't work if the enemy have 0 mana, essentialy giving something really strong a balanced limitation thats new to the game.

I agree with the above. Enemies, bosses such as in the Inn, actually have pretty good gimmicks that it would make sense for them to use their mana. Such as raising shields, vampiric attacks, applying buffs/debuffs, etc. Making them cost mana actually opens up a lot more dynamics when approaching these fights. Im sure if this will be implemented, cheese tactics will still be used, but i think that is unavoidable and will just have to be addressed when we get there.

Though im also sure Jaania will be stressed to know that more and more monsters are using the mana core hahaha

Time is of the Essence--- except for us.

AQ DF  Post #: 22
4/19/2021 15:01:46   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

I thinik it would be easy to just give mana-draining skills some rewarding effects, so the devs don't have to think of how the MANY monsters will use mana, but how the much fewer classes will benefit from it. And maybe stretch their imagination for future classes. Imagine one that manipuilates mana by constantly draining and regenerating mana from the targets and it's own! Would be fun to play with.
DF AQW  Post #: 23
4/22/2021 23:52:37   
Roxas45

Question.. What are the Lagohm pieces going to be used for? I've already got the incomplete backpack for now.
But this has been somewhat of a slow burn in coming.

As for Jaania.. I'm concerned that she's delving into forbidden magic, and is aiming to come out of it in the shape of an omniscient and omnipotent messiah.
I'm also finding the interference of the Avatars... lacking and in so, surprising. Wouldn't this basically mess with the Maleurous storyline that they've got us running around for? She's essentially trying to disrupt the flow of magic entirely.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 24
4/23/2021 1:31:21   
TFS
Helpful!

quote:

I'm also finding the interference of the Avatars... lacking and in so, surprising. Wouldn't this basically mess with the Maleurous storyline that they've got us running around for? She's essentially trying to disrupt the flow of magic entirely.

This takes place after the conclusion of the Maleurous storyline, and we don't yet know how it ends; for all we know the Avatars could have since vowed not to interfere with the goings-on of Lore, or even have been defeated.
Alternatively, the Avatars haven't intervened in any of the prior cataclysmic events throughout the course of the game, so their presence isn't something we should expect anyway.
DF  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= April 16th Design Notes: Book 3: The Royal Resistance: The Spark of the Soul
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition