Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= June 4th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time : Doomed Reality

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= June 4th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time : Doomed Reality
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/7/2021 13:45:15   
Kurtz96

quote:

But I've learned that.... as with basically everything else I set my hand to, I utterly *suck* at DragonFable. I thought I was a good player, I am not, I'm trash. The challenge fights only serve to remind me how utterly garbage I am at this game, and that I will never be smart or patient enough to equal any of the people here.

The best way to improve is to practice. You can read up on the boss rotation and gimmicks on the endgame wiki.

And worse comes to worse, there are channels on YouTube like AstralCodex that post videos beating the challenge using a variety of classes. You can literally just get the same stats/items as them and copy their every move. I have done that a few time.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 26
6/10/2021 14:56:32   
Ilikekittycats123

I can now beat them both individually with Cryptic pretty consistently. just tried against the duo: got them both Enraged and then down to around half health again, then Draco got a lucky crush-claw hit through my Illusion and a DoT took me out.

now I'm wondering if focusing on taking out Draco early on is worth the extra DoT
DF  Post #: 27
6/10/2021 15:32:40   
AstralCodex

No, Cryptic should 100% aim to enrage, and then kill both Dragons at once.

You'll need 239 MPM to shield the Enraged claw with. This probably requires MPM stack on top of Illusion/Scales.
DF  Post #: 28
6/22/2021 0:22:46   
Primate Murder

Hey guys, were the Doom Dragons quietly nerfed?

According to the enclyclopedia page, SMUDD switched his first and second attack (so no DoT insta-kill on claw attack) and Draco's claw can no longger crit (making BPD relevant again).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be rid of the cheap shots, just surprised nobody mentioned it.
AQ DF  Post #: 29
6/22/2021 1:12:05   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

^It's more of a buff than nerf I would say as it is there to compromise the recent res stack changes and allow more variety with classes especially those who have a BPD shield as Fallen Purpose was meant to be a more of a hard, but fair challenge.

< Message edited by DemonicDarkwraith -- 6/22/2021 10:28:49 >
DF  Post #: 30
6/22/2021 10:54:31   
Primate Murder

Well, whichever way you look at it, I finally beat the Duo!

After weeks of trying every non-dc class under the sun, a well-fed Paladin beat both of them, leaving me with a shiny new doom weapon and a warm, happy feeling inside my chest.
AQ DF  Post #: 31
6/23/2021 19:28:24   
AstralCodex

Forgive me if I'm frank, but I feel like the way Fallen Purpose has been handled shows a misunderstanding of how to make fights interesting. IE was beloved because not only was it hard, but it was hard in an interesting and engaging way, while the numbers weren't very high outside of a few nukes, meaning that you had time to interact with the mechanics. Ditto Pandora EX, which forced classes into weird and contorted strategies to get around Sloth and inversion, but still has relatively low damage (outside of Pride phase) and no coinflips to boot.

FP is not like that. Either your class has an intrinsically great matchup vs it due to good shields, heal spam, and decent hitcount (Like Ranger or Pyro, or you're Paladin and have high +Dark uptime), or you're at the mercy of Draco coinflips. And the recent changes to buff the fight have just led to a significantly more frustrating experience overall, as someone who's been trying to do the fight without Ranger, Pyro, or Paladin.

----

As the mechanics don't have much depth in FP, the only real way to make it harder is to up the numbers while removing whatever little counterplay from the player. For example, Draco's antipolarity numbers were increased, and now his +health bite now does ~450 damage and the other bites do ~300 damage through 80 dark res, meaning that losing a coinflip on a class without hitcount represents almost 1k additional damage, even if you saved a high hitcount move to not instantly die to the evil nuke. If your class was going to use a 2 turn defensive skill (like scales) on SMUDD's, then you'll take even more damage from not being able to shield the evil nuke (which still does a bit more damage than the dark nuke even after the res stack change.) Even for classes with enough hitcount, you can't always hit Draco's Antipolarity anyways due to the fight basically requiring you to grind them both down to 50% together, meaning the coinflips are worse even on those classes. Counterplay from the -dark rend was also removed by making it overlap with the -180 MPM. The result isn't that classes like Paladin or Pyromancer or Ranger can no longer do the fight or must adopt more interesting strategies, but instead that classes that had to do interesting things or struggle a bit to win get filtered out. Paladin, Pyromancer, and Ranger still do the fight relatively fine. DoomKnight, DragonMage, Technomancer, etc, now must endure many more coinflips.

(As an aside, I will say that the auto kill claw no longer critting through BPD is a great change, and one I wholly endorse.)

----

We saw similar issues with Wolfwing and Ice and Dragons, where the fights were challenging not because of complicated mechanics with counterplay but instead because of absurd damage vomit and mandatory shield turns.

Yes, a fight that is too easy won't be engaging. But even though some level of difficulty is required for engagement, difficulty is not, in itself, engagement. A fight where everything works without any adjustment is not interesting. A fight where a few strategies are greatly favored over others is also not.

As an analogy, consider Duty and Rebellion. I postulate that making this fight harder without redesigning the mechanics entirely is a fool's errand. What difficulty knobs are there to be touched, exactly, without redesigning the fight from scratch or introducing new mechanics? You'd up the numbers on Illumina's MPM build up, maybe increase the When shield to 700 to prevent CDE from going past it, increase the heal on both enemies, and then maybe increase intaym's damage. But these changes don't make the fight more interesting - if anything, they just mean the few strategies (ignore Illumina's shield entirely with Necro or IBR or stack 300+ bonus to get around her MPM with Techno) that are already good become the only viable strategies. (And Intaym's damage increase would make his coinflip rotation worse.)

I think this is related to FP's overall meh reception, and also why the fight has gotten so many revamps. If a fight is too easy thanks to a few classes having good matchups, just scaling up the numbers doesn't make it any more engaging, but instead just walls out other classes. The same classes do the fight just fine, necessitating more adjustments, which then walls out even more classes.

---

All in all, I think it would've been better if FP was not touched after release night (including by the res stack change, which I have another essay on). Or perhaps FP should've not been touched after Verly said he'd stop touching it two weeks ago after the second adjustment. But FP got a whopping three more adjustments after that. (And if I'm not incorrect, three out of those five adjustments were in response to people ****posting on discord?) Yes, had FP not been touched more times, FP would not be as hard as it is now, but it would've been more interesting. The result of these changes and the way they were handled isn't a fight that's hard but fair, but instead one where player effort to use worse classes is discouraged.

< Message edited by AstralCodex -- 6/24/2021 0:37:40 >
DF  Post #: 32
6/23/2021 20:44:10   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

I think your criticism is very fair. I don't think I did a great job with Fallen Purpose.

However, I think the res change was still necessary, precisely because without it, I found myself leaning toward number vomit in mono-element fights,
since due to the nature of elemental resistance, without number vomit, mechanics could often just be ignored outside of hard HP manipulation.

That said, I have been hard at work concepting new mechanics that haven't been seen before that should be neat to play with and experience. I accept your criticism, and I can only learn from what's happened.
AQ MQ  Post #: 33
6/24/2021 15:19:25   
Cyrenius

Hey, Verly.

I am still working on the duo. Haven't given up yet. Although I'm not sure why I'm still going for it, lol, my Necrotic Sword of Doom is better than the upgraded Doom weapon in everything except for All resist. I guess I just desire it as a trophy. For probably the most challenging fight in the game so far, unless that was IE or Ice and Dragons, which I was able to defeat both, although IE gave me hell for 2 weeks. Ice and Dragons took me 3 or 4 days to master.

I came the closest with Paladin for this fight. I had SMUDD down to 10,000 and Draco down to 3,000 before I got killed by Draco getting past the Paladin's shield.

I almost wish Doom Knight had a shield, but that'd probably make it too easy, lol.

Otherwise, it's a great fight, I've enjoyed attempting it.

Reward is a bit underwhelming for the challenge though. As I stated, Doom Knights have a better doom weapon for everything except All resist. I could have thought of rewards I'd rather had more worth the challenge.

< Message edited by Cyrenius -- 6/24/2021 16:40:30 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 34
6/24/2021 16:55:35   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

I came the closest with Paladin for this fight. I had SMUDD down to 10,000 and Draco down to 3,000 before I got killed by Draco getting past the Paladin's shield.

I almost wish Doom Knight had a shield, but that'd probably make it too easy, lol.

Otherwise, it's a great fight, I've enjoyed attempting it.

Reward is a bit underwhelming for the challenge though. As I stated, Doom Knights have a better doom weapon for everything except All resist. I could have thought of rewards I'd rather had more worth the challenge.

If you are having harder time with the duo, I would suggest Ranger, it's an excellent class for this fight. I haven't thought that Paladin would also be a good choice, but it does make a lot of sense.

But I would disagree that NSoD is better than the new Doom weapons. While they have the same All, and NSoD gives more resistance to other elements and Immobility, compared to Unreal weapons making your healing stronger, Unreal Doom weapons has such a big main stat bonus, that it deals more damage than NSoD. And it can be used to increase your main stat to 400 or more.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 6/24/2021 16:58:59 >
DF AQW  Post #: 35
6/25/2021 1:04:25   
Primate Murder

@ Cyrenius

It helps if you use Paladin's blind skill on Draco before the claw attack, as well as equip Hidebehind and Drop Bear Hat. That should leave you beyond his ability to hit.
AQ DF  Post #: 36
6/25/2021 15:25:51   
Cyrenius

I finally defeated the duo! Thanks Dratomos and Primate Murder for the advice! Especially you Primate Murder! :)

I do have one piece of advice / criticism for Doverly. Make all three of the Destiny and Doom weapons be mergable into a scythe of each that is usable by all classes with a high INT stat. Currently, if you're stacking INT and you got an axe to begin with (like you were stacking STR to begin with), it's no use to continue, but it makes no sense to carry a staff as a doom knight for example. I know that sounds sadistic (a lot of grinding), but it makes sense in a way.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 37
6/26/2021 9:02:08   
Kyros123

Speaking of which, is Inevitable Equilibrium bugged?

Sometimes Drahr'Dolaas seems to get a attack boost after losing focus despite the fact that no buff seems to appear when I check the monster info. Is that supposed to happen or is there there some mechanic I'm not understanding? I was under the impression that losing focus was suppose to reduce Drahr'Dolaas boost buff.
Post #: 38
6/28/2021 0:13:58   
Primo_

quote:

Speaking of which, is Inevitable Equilibrium bugged?

Sometimes Drahr'Dolaas seems to get a attack boost after losing focus despite the fact that no buff seems to appear when I check the monster info. Is that supposed to happen or is there there some mechanic I'm not understanding? I was under the impression that losing focus was suppose to reduce Drahr'Dolaas boost buff.

I'm assuming you were hit by the -30 All Claw, thus making the 600% auto crit breath hurt a lot more.
DF  Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= June 4th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time : Doomed Reality
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition