Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= August 13th/30th Design Notes: The Maleurous: Reckoning

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= August 13th/30th Design Notes: The Maleurous: Reckoning
Page 3 of 5<12345>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/18/2021 0:57:51   
Laeon val Observis

The chain wave function is definitely a wow one. If it's compatible with catapults (if it will even be avail in this war), we're looking at efficiencies never before seen. Perhaps this will usher a new top WPM, which hasn't been broken in quite a while.

For those that are curious, this is how chain waves behave:

1. You set a value of waves you desire to fight, ranging from 2 to 25.
2. Toggle on the chain wave button in the war town. This setting will reset every chain wave completion and log outs.
3. Click on the wave you're fastest at, as that'll be the format you'll be stuck for that chain. Whatever rules for that format will apply.
4. You will receive your gold, exp, and DMs at the end of standard wave completions (e.g. in DDR format, every 5 battles of normal encounters or every after the rare quartet battles).

EDIT: since I'm focused solely on DDR waves, how do the rare foot waves behave? Is it a double quartet?

< Message edited by Laeon val Observis -- 8/18/2021 0:59:19 >
DF AQW  Post #: 51
8/18/2021 1:26:34   
Dratomos
Helpful!

@Roxas45:

quote:

Also... Jaania and Notha are basically Book 3's Konan. Stuff happened to them - They grieved - They blamed magic and the things that specifically controlled that magic - they tried to use some of the power they found for themselves.
Okay. not 100% the same, but there are similarities.
We've seen characters a little like this in the past.
Just so happens that Notha is annoyed at the Avatars themselves, and Jaania at the essence of Magic.

I really don't see that big of a connection between those three.

Konnan was angry for the world because he lost his family to Akriloth and wanted revenge. And in Book 3 he realized with that mentality, everything just gets burned.

Jaania wants to save the Lore from evils of magic and stop it's usage.

Notha hates the idea of Avatars and how they are prayed upon and told "it's all part of their plan", when in reality they do nothing. She wants everyone to be free of their influence.

The main motivations of those three are fundamentally different.

quote:

No one here plays AQW? Are we not talking about Fiamme? ESPECIALLY considering that she was enslaved by Wargoth in Book 2? I feel that there may be significant... discussions on that, and what happened "recently" in AQW.

Isn't AQW's timeline different to DF? And not connected in any way?

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 8/18/2021 1:27:03 >
DF AQW  Post #: 52
8/18/2021 4:31:58   
MsChickenFingers

quote:

EDIT: since I'm focused solely on DDR waves, how do the rare foot waves behave? Is it a double quartet?

Yeah, it loads a screen with 8 Phages, and approaching any of them starts a battle with 4 Phages to either side. It was fun just wiping them with a single multi attack, but the game did get soft-stuck. Also, thanks for the info about the posting time and saved cookies options, I just didn't want to make a whole reply for this. I thought there was an enable cookies option when I was creating the account, so I thought the two were equivalent.
Post #: 53
8/18/2021 5:05:16   
Laeon val Observis

Well, that stretches the limits of battle to the max. Good thing they're mobs and not C7+Pandora. Only now did I remember that DA players also have the privilege to activate Adventure Mode to weaken enemy dmg output (highly important for those who are going Veraad/Uragiri or CW or both against the quartets and... octets?).
DF AQW  Post #: 54
8/18/2021 7:13:24   
Flabagast

@MsChickenFingers
quote:

Yeah, it loads a screen with 8 Phages, and approaching any of them starts a battle with 4 Phages to either side.

o___o Wow.

Also I neglected to say this before but, welcome to the forums! :) It's always nice to see a new face here, especially during a war.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 55
8/18/2021 10:43:04   
yjjoel26

Pushing back, the Background is reversed this time
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 56
8/18/2021 15:59:52   
Vaalirus

8 enemies at once? Nice
DF  Post #: 57
8/18/2021 16:39:00   
MsChickenFingers

@Flabagast

Aw, thanks! I usually feel half disconnected here since I rarely try the inn challenges, but I just hit Lv. 90 clearing some waves, so I'll finally try getting around to it. I'm not very good at figuring out the challenge mechanics and the 'correct' counter-strategies though, from what I've read here.

I have to admit, when I don't need to look at a different screen, the DDR thing does seem a bit faster; but, and I'm not sure if it's just me, I'm getting more 2+ enemy encounters in DDR than the Pushing Back waves, which ends up as more 2-action battles. I'm listening to the Wheel of Time on audiobook while whacking away at DDR waves for now (I'm happy to report that the in-game music helps the action sequences).

PS What does DDR stand for?

Post #: 58
8/18/2021 16:44:30   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

^Dance Dance Revolution, a popular dancing game, that is referred to the moving pads mechanic that debuted last month's Inn challenge with Sek and Noxus
DF  Post #: 59
8/18/2021 16:48:07   
Laeon val Observis

Nice, welcome to the realm of endgame. It will take time, but Inn fights will surely be rewarding. DDR stands for Dance Dance Revolution. That's right, that rhythm game. If you want high energy and since we are already referencing rhythm games for this war's introductory waves, how about jamming to RAISE A SUILEN's ERA album. 12 songs, perfect for players who can do long drag warring.
DF AQW  Post #: 60
8/18/2021 22:48:30   
Flabagast

Ah, so that's what it stands for. Now I'm imagining the Hero bustin' some moves while flattening waves, as Uaanta stands by looking a little confused.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 61
8/18/2021 23:30:08   
MsChickenFingers

quote:

Now I'm imagining the Hero bustin' some moves while flattening waves, as Uaanta stands by looking a little confused.

If I may repurpose a scene from the Simpsons:

Uaanta: Are you up for this MC? They'll be invulnerable unless you can time your attacks to my magic.

MC: I'm telling you, I can do this. I have an unbreakable sense of rhythm; I got it from Dance Dance Revolution.

Uaanta: Oh yeah, that was a pretty popular video game.

MC: Video game?
Post #: 62
8/19/2021 23:56:58   
Zeebuoy

@Primate Murder

quote:

seeing the titans fighting adds an entirely new level to battles that are already unique

an interesting thing I noticed is that, when being hit by Myalos's breath weapon, the Earth Ice and Light avatars are the only ones who don't do that in pain looking pose, Earth and Ice block it with their hands and a shield respectively, while the light avatar seems to just shrug it off like it's nothing, (probably since shadowscythe tech is darkness aligned, kinda strange the darkness avatar is vulnerable to it though)
Post #: 63
8/20/2021 1:41:40   
Vaalirus

^
It is noteworthy that the elements of earth and ice are typically associated with this idea of a strong defense, not just in Dragonfable but in other works of fiction as well. Same idea with the element of light as well thematically, just look at Lumina's story and boss fight as well as even Braytes San's ability to render himself invulnerable to damage. Although I think another angle to Celeritas not reacting to Myalos' attack is that our light attacks for classes like Paladin or Dragonlord are ones capable of increasing the odds our enemies will miss on their attacks.

As for why Voidstar took a hit out of all of them, it's important to remember that while Shadowscythe/Doom is technically darkness that is supposedly more pure, but much more corruptible than the normal darkness element that Voidstar is aligned to and while we're told Voidstar knows how to deal with it I believe that is only in the sense that they know how to contain it and not defend themselves against it, at least not when it appears in such a force as Myalos.

< Message edited by Vaalirus -- 8/20/2021 1:46:21 >
DF  Post #: 64
8/20/2021 13:00:52   
JaiyeJr

After about a week of farming on my main and alts, I really like the way the new features were implemented. Chain Waves especially, so I can click buttons that deal damage instead of clicking buttons that put me somewhere else. The DDR element in the normal waves is a good way to spice things up, but I do think that having it be a purely negative reinforcement - in that it punishes you very hard if you mess up(especially in lower levels) - a minor downside. Having some tangible reward like a boost for getting it right, and the punishment being a little more leniant (like dealing even 5% of dmg) would make mess-ups feel a lot less unfortunate.
DF AQW  Post #: 65
8/20/2021 23:14:46   
Faraam

Very much enjoying the addition of Chain Waves.
DF  Post #: 66
8/21/2021 17:52:53   
Laeon val Observis

After getting to watch the cutscene, my resolve still does not sway. I'll still war on with the same set of beliefs. Gotta admit though that those cosmetics are swag (Now that it crossed my mind, with all these MQ tech getting rekt, can't we repurpose some for a cosmetic misc at the least for AExo?). Now we also know where exactly the Firmament is.
DF AQW  Post #: 67
8/21/2021 18:50:05   
Flabagast

Such a fantastic cutscene! I have so many thoughts that I don't think I can express them well enough at the moment.

One thing I will say though is that Notha is a fantastic villian and I just love how this saga brings all sorts of new and prior world building into a story that feels still feels grounded around interesting characters that we can empathise with. It's so superbly written.

And I'm excited to see it's conclusion. Let's finish this war!

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 68
8/22/2021 5:04:36   
Shadow_Knight41

DDR: I like it, I love it. Since nowadays my multitasking activity is listening to podcasts, it doesn't matter for me if I have to keep looking at the screen. But I see how that would be annoying for people actually watch something else, screen minimized as much as possible, too.
Oh, this one is also important for the game because it's a product of the team keeping adding new features into game, sure it might not make sense canon-wise (Uaanta randomly choosing a tile instead of directly targeting us) and might be nothing more than a hindrance to the players but that's no reason not to try and implement your ideas into game. If it's good, keep it. If it sucks, remove it.

Background: AMAZING! I didn't expect Myalos to fight against 8 big boys though...

First of all, I want to thank @SeigusDarkon on this one, although i disagree with most, there are some important points made.
Notha Ly'Ehr: Notha has pretty much became my idol/crush with this last update. I like how this Saga is about an atheist girl wanting revenge, but in this case against actual gods in flesh and mana. I can't say what she does is right, but what has been done to her isn't right either, you can't expect to mess up with people (in this case make them waste their WHOLE LIVES away with religioculture so they don't improve and become a problem) and have them not lash out on you. But rather than irl religion, I resemble this to bad parenting more, being influenced by your parents constantly throughout your life only to realize most of the things that seeped into you (and made "you") stem from their own problems, insecurities and don't really have actual value. Then show them a person that's raised by a rightminded family, let them see how much they've accomplished when you've wasted your life away JUST BECAUSE of your parents. Yep, that's probably what Notha felt when she saw the wonders of The Exalted: What she/her people could have been VS what she/her people is...
Obviously, ramming right into the Avatars' firmament with an ancient mechascythe dragon is not the most sensible course she could've taken. But honestly, if we could choose a fight in this war (and how I would LIKE THAT) and had Avatars not become sensible folks right after they talked to Lock and Key (and if not for Uaanta... dang the list keeps going on and on!), I would choose Notha's side, propagation over stagnancy!

Gauntlet Mode: Love it. I wonder if some people are upset that such a feature comes with a DDR packet...
I've already gotten used to it, can't stoop to fighting foot waves now, lol!

Chain Waves: Well, it has no downsides and provides a little upside.

Music: Long ago, on a game forum I saw a comment about Dragonfable, saying it didn't have music for quests. I really hope after more than a decade that person got to give this game another shot!

Uannta: I find it interesting how the culture of Lhe'Shyiac is different from real life religion and want to point that out. Because even after learning that all of it was a deception, she still says "And yet, I still trust you, Makers. To guide our path.", because duh, they're right there. So, in a way but not in a way that they thought, they've lived up to Avatars bidding and it DID have a meaning.
Now, if I lack Lore lore can someone fill me in, why did Avatars left the other parts of the world unchecked? What good is having some people stagnating in order if there are many other propagating in chaos?

8 VS 1: Can't say anything for other classes but for CW transcende rain attack doesn't cause soft stuck (as someone else called it), but Rip skill does. And it's more satisfying to see each elementphage dying one by one slowly haha.
EDIT: This got solved, I'm grateful! Now Domination hits faster and Rip doesn't cause stuck.

The Respite: Well, this is confusing. From what I understand humans (or maybe other sentient beings too) can self-balance and the Avatars and artificial sentient beings like Myalos can't. That's why they're susceptible to being "infected". It's kinda sad to see Myalos as a "tool" but if this is true their "good" is also more of an infection and less of a choice. Considering this it's pretty likely that Notha did just talk her way into Myalos, which might even be a good thing. Though she refuses to do the same with Avatars, since if he fails it's game over, Avatars are too dangerous (and complicated, seriously, what are they?) to tinker with. Ah, I need to replay the whole Saga and ponder...

The break is over, back to BATTLING ON!

PS: Hopefully I'll be able to post this one, the forum has blocked me whenever I tried to post :/
DF  Post #: 69
8/22/2021 5:48:37   
Zeebuoy

quote:

Lumina's story and boss fight as well as even Braytes San's ability to render himself invulnerable to damage. Although I think another angle to Celeritas not reacting to Myalos' attack is that our light attacks for classes like Paladin or Dragonlord are ones capable of increasing the odds our enemies will miss on their attacks.

@Vaalirus

couple questions, who's Lumina and Sans I haven't caught up with the other stories yet,

also the beam seems to be hitting her stilll, since it doesn't go past her.
Post #: 70
8/22/2021 8:21:51   
MsChickenFingers

quote:

Gauntlet Mode: Love it. I wonder if some people are upset that such a feature comes with a DDR packet...
I've already gotten used to it, can't stoop to fighting foot waves now, lol!

Wait, what is this? Something different from chain waves?

And yeah, the 8v1 fights no longer freeze up (for me) when I finish the fight in 1 turn.

Also, I feel like I'm just much faster on foot waves if I actually care to optimize it, since the enemy health is always low enough to beat in a single turn (sans Soul Gambit for CW); the average experience I get from a foot wave is around 9k (at level 90), and the average experience from a chain wave is about double that at 18k. I find I'm only doing around 13-14 DDR waves in 8 minutes, but consistently 20 on foot waves. Plus Dragonlord's Fire/Ice Dragon Spirit animations are just very short; the only comparable ones on CW are Siphon and Hex, but on DDR you end up needing multi attacks too often.

@Zeebuoy You need to put the text between the quotes tags to make it show up correctly.
Post #: 71
8/22/2021 10:36:19   
Dratomos
Helpful!

Oh how interesting this story is. What a nice break to learn even more about the lore.

But as our hero said: "However this will end, all we can do now is battle on."
DF AQW  Post #: 72
8/22/2021 16:09:58   
moe

I'm trying to guess what Notha might have seen to make her this way. Never really got it.
AQW  Post #: 73
8/23/2021 1:29:15   
Laeon val Observis

After fulfilling my commitment of 500-1000 waves for this war, was hoping the counter would move faster over the weekend. But now, I ain't looking forward on how things will end up with the current pace. Which begs the question, what the heck happened to the hourly war reps? Got a little to preoccupied with Discord? I'll still get a few DMs, but that's just it. I'll just clench my teeth to whatever may come to pass.

@above ain't such shtick already a classic origin situation for tragic story for extremists in fiction works? There should be instances that whatever the unfortunate sod read/saw is left up to the imagination, so no need to overanalyze that tiny detail.

< Message edited by Laeon val Observis -- 8/23/2021 1:30:29 >
DF AQW  Post #: 74
8/23/2021 7:01:04   
Hotaka

Why do the shop weapons deal 0 damage??? Are they really just purely for cosmetics???
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= August 13th/30th Design Notes: The Maleurous: Reckoning
Page 3 of 5<12345>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition