Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Backlash

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Backlash
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/24/2023 13:11:02   
CH4OT1C!

@Korriban Gaming:
quote:

Basically any QC item or combination of it fits the bill. I agree with the fact that you need a combination of items to pull this off. But I think the same can be said for an effective Backlash build. You'll need more than a single piece of equipment to make Backlash work great.

Fully mobilising a bar's worth of resources using a single item is fundamentally different compared to mobilising it in combination with a number of sources. These items take up far more inventory slots, and will almost certainly offer effects that are very different from a single item. Therefore, to compare a single item to multiple is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Of course, this also means that any cap applied to Backlash would need to be done on an item-per-item basis, rather than an overall cap for all sources. It would be unfair to cap all backlash sources to a combined maximum of e.g., 1000 per turn when other items are allowed singular caps instead. I have already stated a preference for singular caps in my previous posts.

As far as singular items go, however, there exists a laundry list of examples where caps are implemented. Plenty of items are capped, with quickcast items heavily featuring in the list. For example:
  • The elemental shield of Prismheart Tome is one per turn and can't stack like other shields of this type (2023)
  • The cost reduction effect of Archmage Apprentice is useable only once per turn (2022)
  • Invincible Star is once per turn (2021)
  • The Bag of Mixed Nuts misc can only be used once per turn and only one of the four effects (2021)
  • Paladin's Lay on Hands charges can only be consumed once per turn (2020)
  • The shieldcakes are limited once per turn to each individual effect (2020+)
  • The Zfinity Gauntlets are only useable once per turn (2019)
  • Spectral Chains and Knife to Meat you aren't just once per turn, they're once per battle (2019)
  • Prime chaos orb is limited by virtue of it locking itself out of its own effect between 3-7 uses. PCO is also a well-known exception that has been explicitly excluded from certain changes as it is impossible to balance without fundamentally changing how it functions i.e. deleting it and starting again (2019)
  • While you can store more that one turn's worth of charges, Neko prevents the player from using "Feline Fine" more than once per turn (2018). The quickcast effects of Werewolf, Vampire, and Werepyre are also only useable once per turn too (2017+).

There are some "exceptions" other than the ones I mentioned in my last post (I use quotations because, as you'll see, they hardly work like that in practice). I've already mentioned that Essence Orb and Pixel Ether are planned for fixes, but in addition...
  • You can use the stat booster spells like Arcane Amplification, but this doesn't boost your power on the same turn. It simply increases the duration (2019+)
  • You can use Shadowfeeder Pendant more than once, but this item is also planned to receive changes and the Celerity effect it provides can't be activated more than once per turn. Like the above, additional stacks only increase duration for future turns (2014)
  • Love potion also has planned fixes and you can't take advantage of >1 stun per turn (2017)

In my opinion, this overwhelming range of examples proves beyond doubt that singular items do not allow the player to mobilise their entire HP bar (or any resource bar, for that matter) in a single turn. The sole exception is Backlash items as described above.

@Aura Knight Ah I see, it sounds like you have a similar opinion to @Grace Xisthrith, @Primate Murder, and myself then.

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 9/24/2023 14:44:31 >
  • AQ  Post #: 26
    9/24/2023 14:03:06   
    Aura Knight

Yes but this is only after finding out the damage ratio. If the numbers of 1:7 are true the power of backlash is high considering the setup is equipping items and having the right pet/guest. I would still not mind if regular mobs got defeated with it in a powerful state but maybe bosses can reduce it. Perhaps a new type of shield against indirect damage can be added.

On a separate thought, why does backlash need to hit just hp? Maybe splitting the damage to hit mp/sp too will work as a power reduction while being a benefit for enemy skill prevention.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 27
    9/25/2023 20:51:48   
      Ward_Point
    Armchair Archivist

Let's keep this discussion to Backlash. Some items in conjunction have spectacular combinations, but there's already one identified problem, there is little purpose in making the discussion more complex.

One problem at a time please.
    AQ  Post #: 28
    10/11/2023 17:05:13   
    NightofLight

One Idea I had in mind for a Backlash change was to have it only proc once a monster has finished its attacks similar to Dodgelash. This would make the hitcount scale with how many backlash triggers you have equipped rather than how many times a monster hits you but would make the damage much more consistent throughout any fight and could help set a clear value in the future on how much damage it should be doing.
    AQ  Post #: 29
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Backlash
    Page 2 of 2<12
    Jump to:

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition