Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Whats your thoughts on SOPA and PIPA

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: Whats your thoughts on SOPA and PIPA
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/18/2012 22:06:52   
Calogero

@ Mira

Indeed.
I agree that this has to be discussed but again this is nothing ED related but AE related...
and seeing OWA allready linked a link to where the PIPA/SOPA is being discussed...

Having a Signature is too mainstream
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 76
1/18/2012 22:11:47   
MirageD

ND, do you vote in the US? how many others here have voting rights in the US? why is this subject allowed in a game forum???? it's propaganda at it's best.....propose one point of view to an uninformed/closed environment.....i've said, time and again, i personally am against the bills.....but i'm sooooooo way against this site only presenting their point of view, to an uninformed audience....and then asking them do something about it? this is a game and most players aren't even citizens of the US

< Message edited by MirageD -- 1/19/2012 1:22:36 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 77
1/18/2012 22:12:51   
Elf Priest JZaanu
Constructive!

Within the Design Notes, it is viewed as extremeness with no due process. Due to the vagueness of the legal text, there gives room for assumption. More then anything, copyright laws need to be enforced, but more specifics need to be written.

If I mention a movie phrase, is that a violation of copy right laws , if I post it on facebook.

What if I copy a picture of a famous picture and post it, is this also a violation.

And if any of these things are a violation, should facebook be taken down. What if my AE character profile that is on facebook violates some copy write law, does AE and Facebook get taken down.

The internet is recycled information, and much of the origin has some copy write attachment. This is the huge problem cause like a real web, many things are intertwined. Until specifics are addressed, the government could act on any assumption.

I think this should be addressed on a separate thread within AE forums, and it should be linked there. Having it combined within the design notes, it could confuse many people.

As of now, this thread will focus on the political impact of this bill and not on the game. Politics is very messy dialog.

< Message edited by JZaanu -- 1/18/2012 22:27:09 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 78
1/18/2012 22:16:46   
Zeoth

@mira
No need to flame me for some of the points u don't seem to be getting. And weather or not I'm of the voting population but I am a US citizen yet I don't see how this matters though
Post #: 79
1/18/2012 22:17:35   
Adam in Wonderland
Banned

IF and WHEN this actually becomes an issue for EpicDuel fine, but until then, I don't agree with this topic being a part of the design notes or general forum discussion. I support MirageD's statements.

Post #: 80
1/18/2012 22:21:19   
MirageD

JZ, i'm not trying to debate the proposed laws......i just don't think they have any merit at being introduced in the ED design notes.....like i said, i'm against the proposals....but creating an anti-US uprisal is in-appropriate in these forums, imo.......the proposed laws can be interpreted in different ways.....the intention was to avoid copyright abuse.....they need to be re-written, no doubt.....or trashed.....but fgs.....why is this being discussed in a game forum???....or in design notes to a public that doesn't vote in the US??????

@zeoth, my intention wasn't to address you personally, do you vote? if not, then this doesn't really apply to you

Merged double posts. ~Ashari

< Message edited by MirageD -- 1/19/2012 20:58:37 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 81
1/18/2012 22:26:57   
BlueKatz

It's Designer Note... not Game News Note
Also you don't understand how SOPA work, it won 't only effect US, it shut down ANY web site if anyone report it - without confirmation, technically a part of the company... there's more, but just google it
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 82
1/18/2012 22:28:54   
Lord Nub

Well since there is so much chatter going on about factions...

Is it possible to create a Faction chat? It's a big problem where chat boxes create some serious lag especially when you have multiple ones open at the same time.

Faction chat would cut down on that significantly...

Would also be great in general for everyone to talk with each other without taking up so much space.

Also would Like to point out that this subject says it's a reply to "Whats your thoughts on SOPA and PIPA" yet the thread is the labelled as the normal official =ED= Design Notes thread...
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 83
1/18/2012 22:29:36   
MirageD

above ^^ it proposes shutting down US access to websites that abuse copyright infringements......geeze...that's it.....as i said i'm against it...but things are getting way out of proportion
AQW Epic  Post #: 84
1/18/2012 22:30:52   
BlueKatz

^If AE was shut down in US, I don't see any reason to make the game anymore
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 85
1/18/2012 22:32:53   
Ashari
Inconceivable!

@MirageD: I agree that's it's unconventional for any company to declare opposition to a bill, but as you can see from not just AE's response, but many other websites, this is a very unconventional bill with some very (in my opinion) unconstitutional and poorly planned out language that could directly affect AE, its communities and the forums.

No doubt, if either of these bills passed in their current form, the forums would have to be policed extremely strictly, if it would even be feasible to have a forum -- since AE could be held liable for anything that any user posted on here, so it could have a very direct affect on everyone here, and so they should be informed.

With that being said, the primary purpose of these design notes is to inform everyone of these bills. You should of course do research on any subject before making a decision on supporting or opposing it, and that's exactly why I gave the links to full texts of the laws in the previous text. If you want to discuss these bills in more depth, there is a thread dedicated to the Stop Online Piracy Act / Protect Intellectual Property Acts in the OOC Room.

< Message edited by Ashari -- 1/18/2012 22:33:32 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 86
1/18/2012 22:34:01   
Calogero

@ Blue

You said it
quote:

It's Designer Note... not Game News Note

It's a Design Note, and the PIPA - SOPA bills have nothing to do with the game directly...

also, aren't most people here like ' childeren/young adults '?
Also not to mention My vote from Europe won't do ship
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 87
1/18/2012 22:38:21   
Lord Nub

This is ridiculous. Were seriously discussing this here?

It's hard enough to get input from Mods about ED related things but when it comes to something like this that only ignorant people would believe would pass, it's the most talked about thing ever.

Isn't this Epicduel General Discussion? Could we possibly talk about ED things and keep the controversial things that are only there to stir up the population in the OOC Room where they belong?
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 88
1/18/2012 22:40:27   
Cinderella
Always a Princess

I've been guilty of going off-topic in this discussion as well, but it's getting to the point where most of the discussion is about SOPA/PIPA.

As for my reasons for including it in the Design Notes, I was following Cysero's lead, and you may have noticed that most of the staff have expressed their opposition to SOPA/PIPA. I'm not allowed to make political statements as Cinderella without AE backing me up. It is a company stance, and we almost NEVER get political.

I understand that some of you don't think it's proper for the company to oppose SOPA/PIPA in public, but it affects us directly. In addition, it affects our fans in a very direct way.

If I or the company have offended you, I am deeply sorry.

This will be my last word on the subject. This isn't a political forum, and the intent with mentioning it was not to turn AE into a political soapbox, but to make our players aware of an issue that affects us. However, with the encouragement to read the bills themselves and acquaint oneself with the process by which a bill becomes a law in the US I'm glad to see players taking the time to educate themselves.

I realize that these bills are unlikely to pass. But it's important to make it clear that we do not support widespread censorship.

< Message edited by Cinderella -- 1/18/2012 22:43:12 >
Post #: 89
1/18/2012 22:41:01   
MirageD

@ashari, i am appalled at you and the rest of the AE community applying scare tactics on the whole of the ED community....some of which are just children?....what is the purpose of this ?

replied prior to cindy's post....hoping this will all stop and appreciate her post

< Message edited by MirageD -- 1/19/2012 21:00:32 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 90
1/18/2012 22:42:09   
rej

Considering that even the largest search engine in existence (Google) is openly oppose it, AE has every right to also openly state it's opposition to this awful bill.

If you dislike the fact that AE is using the forums and design notes to oppose the bill, there is no reason for you to read them. No one is forcing you to.

It is difficult to enjoy your cake when your pants are on fire.
~Dragon of Time
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 91
1/18/2012 22:46:12   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@mira It's to spread word against a bill that can be abused to shut down AE and many other companies and may indirectly threaten the economy. If this passes, a good share of sites will go with it. That means a good share of companies will be gone. Companies like Google that produce a large amount of money with their advertising opportunities(not to mention the fact that they have stock as well) will be shut down and the money will probably be used mainly on settling court disputes. But as Cinderella has stated already, this is not the place nor time for politics. Just because something was posted in the DNs does not mean it has to be discussed.

Can't wait to see the ending. Hope you learned some stuff to improve the next war greatly(if you can manage to make the varium bombs more fair then you have my full support of the next war).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 92
1/18/2012 22:47:26   
Calogero

@ Rej

Why not put a link in the DN linking to the Discussion thread at the OCC?? Same with the AQW Design Note, It shouldn't be directly in it
seeing The bills don't only affect AQW, ED, Hence why it should be ONLY in the OCC.

Also if they are against the bills, why didn't they go Dark like most sites today??
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 93
1/18/2012 22:50:00   
The Joker X

So the aftermath missions will reward us with credits and tokens. No more war points right?

Oh and will the war bosses finally give badges?

< Message edited by The Joker X -- 1/18/2012 22:51:51 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 94
1/18/2012 22:54:30   
xxmirxx

First off Im all for this site shutting down if there break the law second who ever delete my post from before Im getting annoy its basically saying that I shouldn't use my right to be for this bill.
AQ Epic  Post #: 95
1/18/2012 22:56:51   
MirageD

i'll repeat what i just sent in a pm from a concerned forumite

quote:

all of those things you mentioned would never happen....the bills, which i am against (and have informed my congressmen that i am against them) are intended to squelch copyright infringement. there are sites that sell US copyrighted stuff (music, movies, books, etc) that don't pay copyright fees. the bills would only apply to US ppl that are trying to access international sites that abuse US copyrights. that's all :) AE is blowing this way out of proportion......sites like google are concerned because they would have to filter the banned sites or be held liable for illegal access....it a bad idea.....but it has nothing to do with sites like AE
AQW Epic  Post #: 96
1/18/2012 23:04:39   
xxmirxx

Like you said people outside of USA has nothing to fear since bill rights don't apply to us. As much Im for your bill rights MirageD has point you shouldn't post this information here because 80 percent of people are kids as whole AE games your only spreading fear to those young kids. And makes me think why AE in worrys like are they break law when made AE into business. Ps my posts have been delete by staff because Im not against.
AQ Epic  Post #: 97
1/18/2012 23:10:10   
DeathGuard

I have been thinking in making posts that can help in the union of the Devs and the community, I was thinking that at least twice a year this should be implemented:
When a new theme release is approaching, near one month, the Devs will installed a feature that tracks the person with most tokens donated in that month and it will be chosen to be drawed as a npc and be the main protagonist of the update, to make more dinamic this event, players would have the chance to suggest concepts for 2 npcs regarding bases which would be given even by the player with most tokens donate in that month or by the Devs. Why two concepts for Npcs? 2 Npcs should be held ingame for every theme update so I think it fits this. 2 concepts would be chosen from different players, and will get into the game and will have a description of those two players who made the concept idea.
The faction that helds as a member to the winner, would be awarded with 500 tokens to each player, meaning that the player and faction would be awarded for such effort.
This would not only increase the amount of suggestion npcs, but the loyalty to faction since donating more than 2k tokens to a faction means that they will stay on it to support it. I hope Devs may read my idea and take it in consideration.
Good night and take care guys

< Message edited by DeathGuard -- 1/18/2012 23:12:18 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 98
1/18/2012 23:52:51   
nico0las

I don't think some people get it. AE is worried because even the smallest thing they don't own could close the whole show.
Companies such as google fear similar things. Did you know that if you google your facebook name your dp shows up? Do you think they own that image? No, of course not. Wikipedia's blackout is also like this. The links they post to other websites are websites they don't own and don't have the right to do so. Even so, the Internet is, as jzaanu said, recycled information. That's pretty self explanatory.

MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 99
1/18/2012 23:53:38   
marleytime
Banned

The day I start taking political tips from the staff of ED is the day I ... move to France lmao.

Furthermore, how many forumites can even vote? What do you want them to do, go convince Mommy and Daddy to write their assemblymen about the evil Soup Pipe bill?

Like MirageD said, the bill has no place being in EDGD. Get out!
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: Whats your thoughts on SOPA and PIPA
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition