Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Elemental Championships= OOC 2008 (Applications Phase)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =Elemental Championships= OOC 2008 (Applications Phase)
Page 1 of 2212345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/20/2008 19:56:41   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Come one, come all! Come to the great Arena sands and witness the spectacle of deadly mortal combat yet again! Or perhaps, if thou art daring, vicious, skilled, or simply insane, come to compete for the title of legend! Behold, for once again the Elemental Championships will be held upon the face of Lore! Yup, its almost that time again folks, and this year's EC will be just as bloody as ever, I suspect. Second year running under myself, and a few tweaks here and there ought to easily set up the stage for excellence.

The Rules, Regulations, and Procedures

This year's EC will actually be following a similar format compared to last year's, with just a few tweaks...and perhaps a few twists...to whet your appetite. The first thing necessary, however, is your Application to the tournament officials. *cough* Meaning, of course, a simple bio that includes (but is in no way limited to!) your character's name, brief visual description, visible weaponry carried, and Element that you will be competing under for the Dropoffs would do you MORE than fine. Further elaboration isn't really required, per se, but may in fact be used in the case of a tight tie-breaker for advancement to the Finals. Though, a more detailed bio tends to mean knowing your character's ins, outs, and abilities better...and a generalized format is included here, along with the actual requirements, for recommended use:

quote:

Name:
Element of Participation:
Class, if applicible:
<Edit in a link to your first post here, since that is where you ought to be describing your character>

(Optional from this point on)
Vital Statistics: I.e. height, weight, frame, etc, etc...
Weaponry: (Though optional, this is a plus for reference sake)
Secondary physical description for reference's sake:
Background:

Right then, assuming your bio doesn't have any immediate and glaring indications of being an illegal character (i.e. one can tell on sight that it just breeds godmoding potential), you will be assigned to one of the Dropoff Arenas. This year will see the return of Spike and Cellar with minimal alterations, as well as potentially tweaked versions of the Sky and Fountain Arenas of last year. A Spectator thread is in consideration given last year's lackluster usage of it, so pipe up when you apply if you would actively participate in such during the Finals if you are not fortunate enough to make it.

The Dropoffs portion of the EC this year will run for about two weeks, give or take, or until eight obvious combatants of caliber rise to the top, each in their respective element. In character, this represents each Lord picking one to show favor towards. OOC, this is myself as the Director choosing those I feel are exhibiting the greatest potential and quality as a Combat RPer. This was the practice established in years past by DWeird and I shall be continuing it, acting in an impartial manner to choose the select 8. By participating in this Tournament, you recognize my role as Judge and my say as final. There are a few general guidelines that exist which should be kept in mind:

1. No Godmoding. As if it wasn't already blatantly clear for the RP forums itself, it will not be tolerated in the tournament!

2. No Bunnying. Exception: Minor bunnying is permissible only if agreed to by the opponent for flow and detail concerns. (It is, after all, extremely difficult to leave certain combat situations *entirely* open ended.) Both RPers must be able to furnish proof of said agreement, if asked.

3. Stick to your Element. This is an issue I've noticed occasionally throughout the ECs...competitors in their aspirations to ascend past the Dropoffs sometimes mixing multiple elements outside of their Prime Element that they are competing under. This is a big no-no. Elemental Lords tend to be a bit miffed at potential candidates for acting 'impure' like that. ^^

4. Do not succumb to idle-death! You only have a two week period, give or take a day, from the opening of the Arena you are assigned to in order to impress the Elemental Lord and make it to the Finals. Actively engage your opponent(s) in PMs or here in the OOC so that you can make more than just two or three quality posts!

5. Quality, not quantity. I realize this seems to contradict the previous post, but quality of posts does mean more than quantity of posts in the Judgment. Mini-posts just won't cut it. Also of note, however: Quality does not mean "the most words possible" either.

6. Do not overlook the value of OOC cooperation in determining IC results! But do keep records, as I may ask at any time that they be furnished for purview to aid in judgements.

7. This is a COMBAT RP Tournament. This obviously indicates that you should be taking combative action of some format. For the record, a trout slap alone no longer qualifies.

A detailed list of rules for the Finals will be posted alongside the declaration of the Finalists. The EC Finals Arena is the same grand arena of yesteryear too, so those of you with confidence or aspirations can go ahead and plan on those familiar elements being in place as usual.

Now then, the Elemental Championships Applications Office is opened, and the Dropoffs begin on Wednesday the 16th with a final application cutoff point of the 19th! You have been warned!

List of Contestants by Element:

Light (4)
That Guy Guts as played by RATIONALPARANOIA
Sabadhai Gelam as played by Cheeseliker
Almond as played by Xforce
James C. Gardineir as played by cmgaugler

Ice (5 4)
Cryoface as played by qbsuperstar03
Alexander Killraven as played by AryaMechKnight Reason: Dropped out.
Frost as played by Ralor
Seyrinth Mountlock as played by Ryu Viranesh
Froztius as played by Frozt

Water (3)
Selah Sussura as played by TormentedDragon
Torrelle "The Maelstrom" as played by The Dragon Knight
Auron as played by ShadowSlash

Earth (4 3)
Roch the Crusher as played by Guardian of Nekops
Rotch Tai as played by omf Reason: Dropped out.
Jon Gabriel as played by Geddesmck
Cale Mercer as played by N3344

Darkness (5)
Saint Michael the Archangel as played by Flame Master Axel
Eriphael Dazan as played by Muse
Snur as played by DWeird
Havoc as played by kenzoku
Karddicj as played by xaxtoo

Fire (7 6)
Salvador Rattigan as played by Lord Memphis
Kyle Ripraven as played by OcarinaofTime
Jake Smith as played by deltora94928
Graceella as played by demonhunter
Enya of the Frozen Plateau as played by damselindigital
Flare Talikaran as played by Silverswordmaster Reason: Withdrawl in media res
"Crusher Jones" Gill as played by darkgillshadow

Energy (3)
Bolbi Derevain as played by .Discipline
Slash as played by Kellehendros
Justin Krehdibl as played by Sate

Wind (5)
Tryx 'the Booterang' as played by Mittoo
Nightly as played by Nightly
Vi'in Gajel as played by dragon
Remus Uresti as played by Varin
Djaak Hiirst as played by Beebote

Contestants By Arena:
Cellar
Remus Uresti as played by Varin
Slash as played by Kellehendros
Graceella as played by demonhunter
Flare Talikaran as played by Silverswordmaster
Eriphael Dazan as played by Muse
Auron as played by Shadowslash
James C. Gardineir as played by cmgaugler
Frost as played by Ralor

Sky
Cryoface as played by qbsuperstar03
Kyle Ripraven as played by OcarinaofTime
Justin Krehdibl as played by Sate
Djaak Hiirst as played by Beebote
Havoc as played by kenzoku
Alexander Killraven as played by AryaMechKnight
Tryx 'the Booterang' as played by Mittoo
Sabadhai Gelam as played by Cheeseliker

Spike
Roch the Crusher as played by Guardian of Nekops
Nightly as played by Nightly
Enya of the Frozen Plateau as played by damselindigital
Torrelle "The Maelstrom" as played by The Dragon Knight
Jon Garbiel as played by Geddesmck
Salvador Rattigan as played by Lord Memphis
That Guy Guts as played by RATIONALPARANOIA
Cale Mercer as played by N3344
Selah Sussura as played by TormentedDragon
Froztius as played by Frozt

Fountain Arena
Almond as played by Xforce
Seyrinth Mountlock as played by Ryu Viranesh
Saint Michael the Archangel as played by Flame Master Axel
Karddicj as played by xaxtoo
Rotch Tai as played by omf
Snur as played by DWeird
Vi'in Gajel as played by dragon
Jake Smith as played by deltora94928
Bolbi Derevain as played by .Discipline
"Crusher Jones" Gill as played by darkgillshadow

< Message edited by Ronin Of Dreams -- 7/26/2008 18:46:02 >
AQ  Post #: 1
6/21/2008 0:52:33   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Decided I'd unlock this after all for questions about the tournament. Do not ask for a set 'opening' date, I'm not sure yet, though earlier than August (its usual) is obviously a possibility.

Do not ask about character abilities for 'clearance' on them. Godmoding, 99% of the time, is foreseeable via common sense alone. All applications will be ignored, as all posts between now and when applications are opened will be cleared out and deleted. Only warning =P.
AQ  Post #: 2
6/21/2008 18:42:22   
TormentedDragon

You fail. Abilities that need 'clearance' are not going to be discussed by Ronin at this time (I'm not even sure if he'll discuss them later, either), so you shouldn't even TRY.

General rule of thumb? if it smells like a godmode, it probably is.

Wyvern, did you fail to read? He's not taking applications yet. There is no point in providing bios. READ THE [censored] POST!

[edit] this post was in response to posts that are now deleted. I leave it up as a reminder to READ THE [censored] POST!

< Message edited by TormentedDragon -- 6/23/2008 0:54:53 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
6/21/2008 18:46:32   
Wyvern Oracle

No... Sorry, maybe I SHOULDN'T post while studying. I do apologize... Well... this is awkward.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
6/21/2008 20:33:21   
xaxtoo

Maybe we can have a formula for getting the arenas in the first round. As fun as some of the arenas are, it would be nice to get into a different one. So somehow maybe the formula can factor in previous arena selections and decrease the chance of landing in that arena.

Well, that's all at the moment.

PS. I vote for an earlier start date. Like mid July.
AQ  Post #: 5
6/21/2008 21:08:55   
Nex del Vida

How many abilities can one character have? Would it be one powerful one or more abilities with less power, depending on the number?
AQ  Post #: 6
6/21/2008 21:12:28   
The Extinguisher

I love the EC. I will re don my RPing cape just for this.
But it had to start right as I started working >.>

quote:

For the record, a trout slap alone no longer qualifies.

Would you kill me if I made a character based off of summoning fish and beating people with them?

:D

Anyway. Much fun will be had.
Post #: 7
6/22/2008 14:00:16   
omf

I was waiting for this. I just hope that unlike last time that the Ice Element is not forgotten about.
AQ  Post #: 8
6/22/2008 14:01:14   
TormentedDragon

To answer your question, Nex del Vida: your character's abilities are largely limited by your imagination and capability to come up with them. Use common sense to avoid godmodes, as Ronin said, and you'll be fine.

Of course, more abilities are not necessarily better, neither does only having one ability necessitate that it be very powerful. Combat is less about overpowering your opponent than it is about outmaneuvering him. The uber attack that misses is less effective than the entirely mundane attack that hits.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
6/22/2008 14:20:48   
Frozt

A little question: Would a character dependant on the attacks of his/her opponent work?
Example: A character using his/her opponents attack to attack his opponent... Like getting hit by a fireball would hit the enemy with a fireball.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
6/22/2008 14:27:01   
The Extinguisher

It would be interesting, but I doubt you'd be able to fit him into an element.

Personally, I want to try Earth this year. I've got a neat character to work with.
Or maybe Dark. I need to make up my mind.
Post #: 11
6/22/2008 17:21:07   
Biophysicist

I hope this is OK to ask... Can you give me a description of the arenas or a link to an already written one?
MQ  Post #: 12
6/22/2008 17:29:13   
RATIONALPARANOIA

Here's some links to the arenas from last year:

Sky Arena

Cellar Arena

Spike Arena

Fountain Arena

Of course, for this year, they're being tweaked a little, as Ronin said.
AQ  Post #: 13
6/22/2008 18:31:31   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

@xaxtoo: All arena assignments are determined by random lot. Tis the only fair way, and to be honest, a high degree of familiarity in a dropoffs arena can actually be considered an advantage. And you know you can't vote on an earlier date, that's determined by my capacity not by democratic methods. =P

@Nex: I reiterate what TD has said, mainly since otherwise I would be ignoring it.

@omf: Not my fault participation in an element might be lacking. =P

@Frozt: That's a "clearance for abilities" question, and as such, I'm ignoring it. What I WILL say is that you will have to be far more explicit in your explanations unless you intend to purposefully dance the line.

@Arya: Thanks to Rational's linkage, I only have to say that, OOCly, Cellar and Spike will not be changing much. Sky and Fountain are, for all intents and purposes for you, still up in the air on changes. ICly, however, no one would have a clue about alterations from years past until the EC starts. And even then, unless a spectator or former competitor, a high degree of knowledge of the arenas themselves is unlikely.
AQ  Post #: 14
6/22/2008 18:44:37   
Fethend2

Well, well, well. What have my sneaky little eyes found this time?

Seriously though, I've been out a long time, but don't seem to be horribly rusty, and I've never seen this before. As such, the almighty Fethend2 (Curse E-mail problems causing me to add the 2 >.<) will think about it. And no, you probably shouldn't know who I am >.>

And I swear I had a couple questions upon reading your first post. Maybe re-reading it will remind me. If it does, I'll edit in here.

Thought of a couple.

First off, is there anything at stake? Are there prizes and punishments as would be normal, or is it more of a "I was totally there" thing?

Also, you say not to just sit there idly. If one were to go on vacation, with the possibility of not having a computer readily available, would it still be possible for them to enter, so long as they can confirm at least temporary or occasional use of a computer?

Editing because I don't feel it necessary to make a new post. I should have clarified more. By prize and punishment, I did mean IC. I know not to ask about the actual game stuff >.>

< Message edited by Fethend2 -- 6/22/2008 19:10:37 >
AQ DF  Post #: 15
6/22/2008 19:04:30   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

OOC, in-game "Prizes" are, as always, subject to AQ Game Staff allowances, and as such are not presented. This is an annual RP combat tournament with a good deal of prestige behind it, and the 'title' alone should be more than enough reasoning OOCly. IC rewards are present, and may be the sole rewards given, as determined by prior mentioned allowances.

As for punishment, your life is on the line if you compete. While it may not be an assured death...

As for idleness, I will not permit a competitor to idle long enough between posts that they begin to jeopardize the opportunities of their opponent(s) awaiting on said posts to continue to actively compete. I have cracked down on such before, and I will do so again if need be. Ultimately, the burden is on *competitors* to assure the opportunities to post, not myself to allow for extenuating circumstances.
AQ  Post #: 16
6/22/2008 22:25:25   
Biophysicist

Thanks for the links.

And omf, btw, I is creating an Ice character.
MQ  Post #: 17
6/22/2008 23:03:05   
Wyvern Oracle

Anyway, disregarding that ignorant mistake I made, I still wish to join this thing. So, a couple of questions. First, If two people are within the same element, will only one of them eventaully remain? and second, will this be beginning within the next two weeks? I request not, but it's ok if it is.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 18
6/22/2008 23:19:27   
TormentedDragon

Quoting directly from the first post, which you should read thoroughly and in detail:

quote:

The Dropoffs portion of the EC this year will run for about two weeks, give or take, or until eight obvious combatants of caliber rise to the top, each in their respective element. In character, this represents each Lord picking one to show favor towards. OOC, this is myself as the Director choosing those I feel are exhibiting the greatest potential and quality as a Combat RPer. This was the practice established in years past by DWeird and I shall be continuing it, acting in an impartial manner to choose the select 8.

If you read carefully, like you should, the answer will be obvious. In the finals round, there are eight finalists, ONE from each element.

Quoting directly from the second post, which, again, you should read thoroughly and in detail, since Ronin wrote it:
quote:

Do not ask for a set 'opening' date, I'm not sure yet, though earlier than August (its usual) is obviously a possibility.

Do not ask when the EC will start. Do not ask for it to start earlier. Do not ask for it to start later. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

I reiterate. Read the [+censored+] post. Checking before you ask or do is always a good thing.

(all emphasis is mine)

< Message edited by TormentedDragon -- 6/22/2008 23:20:16 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
6/22/2008 23:58:07   
Wyvern Oracle

Maybe, since I'm being stupid, maybe I shouldn't participate. I'm going to go cry in a corner out of embarrasment now.

*Note*: I did kind of gather both the answers I'm just one of those people who is never really sure about anything. and yeah, I might leave this RP until I can learn to read instructions.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
6/23/2008 0:18:46   
TormentedDragon

There will be people participating in this who will make you look like a genius (and NO I'm not thinking of anyone in particular, so don't get offended). Don't worry about it. Just remember to read carefully.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 21
6/23/2008 0:34:10   
Ralor

I presume,even though it doesn't state it, that two characters would be against the rules. To be more clear I mean two characters in the tournament not a participator and a spectator.
AQ  Post #: 22
6/23/2008 0:45:26   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

That has always been understood, Ralor. One shot at glory, and all. It really shouldn't need to be said.
AQ  Post #: 23
6/23/2008 1:10:00   
Ralor

It's not like I had any intention of using anyone but Frost for this. He's been my EC character for three years now and he'd kill me if he didn't get let in.

As to the "it shouldn't need to be said" well I'd like to use this thread as proof that you will still have to say it eventually.

While we're on that tangent I'd like to ask if you'd be allowing non-elemental characters like you did last year. I believe that Kenzoku had the character I'm talking about.

< Message edited by Ralor -- 6/23/2008 1:13:32 >
AQ  Post #: 24
6/23/2008 1:13:06   
The Extinguisher

Just making sure, two characters as one would be fine, right?
For example, a character with an animal companion or something along those lines.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =Elemental Championships= OOC 2008 (Applications Phase)
Page 1 of 2212345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition