Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Author's Fantasy [Comments]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Author's Fantasy [Comments]
Page 7 of 9«<56789>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/14/2009 21:57:32   
_Depression

The part of me that can't remember anything as engaging and fun as writing all this agrees with you, completely; it's the other part - the part that realizes that my parents and family were, for the last year, right, saying that I wasn't going to get that writing published - that makes me feel like crap. The part of me that reminds me that I stood up for it and said it was worthy of publishing, because I was naive to just how much I would need to work and rework it, feels like I've made a fool of myself.

I really did need every word of that. Thank you...
AQ  Post #: 151
2/15/2009 12:14:01   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Oh crap, did I type "enjoy"? No, I meant to say "improve." Anyhow, both apply. =P

I understand what you mean. I feel like crap everytime I think of my old self. Granted, the old HotD was never meant for publishing, so my situation might be slightly different, but I always thought that, if I wrote a good-enough idea, then I can succeed even at my then-skill. Of course, I had to learn that's not the case, but writing is a constant learning experience. You learn just as much from your failures as you do from your triumphs. Sometimes, we all need that one key "bang!" to make us see the truth (mine came when Eddy and Versy made me realize the first 6 chapters were absolute crap). However, every time you receive validation--in this case, in the form of people like Mastin and I enjoying your work--you realize that you /do/ have the talent to succeed. Also, remember that, though /you/ notice how insufficient the beginning was, many readers don't, and they enjoyed it nonetheless. Same thing in the real world. And as for your family, I think they're drawing their observations from the fact that you're the author as opposed to the writing itself.

Despite the long weekend, I probably owe too many critiques to half a dozen people to get around to this, but I think I should be able to read a few more chapters, say, next weekend? (just to let you know that I /do/ want to read, it's just that real life and stuff have been keeping me occupied =P)
AQ  Post #: 152
2/20/2009 12:00:09   
_Depression

Firefly, you're too good to me. xD Take your time in getting around to my stuff, don't let me rush you in any way. I'm perfectly content with waiting.

=)
AQ  Post #: 153
3/7/2009 22:43:14   
_Depression

As always, the next chapter is coming out quite slowly... I think I might work on rewrites after this one is finished, though, because I really do want to try and get it to a publisher before the end of the year, if I can. =/
AQ  Post #: 154
3/8/2009 12:17:38   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Technically speaking, rewrites and completion are equally important in that regard since most publishers require a full manuscript from a new writer instead of just sample chapters before accepting. However, in a way, a good beginning is /slightly/ more important since you can work on polishing the end while they're considering the partial (a consideration that'll take at least a month, from my knowledge).
AQ  Post #: 155
3/8/2009 18:58:14   
_Depression

I plan to rewrite everything before sending it in, so when I say rewrites, I don't just mean partials. Sorry if there was any confusion~
AQ  Post #: 156
4/5/2009 22:14:40   
_Depression

Okay, so I have spring break coming up starting Tuesday. I'm going to try to knock off as much of this as I can during that time, and maybe get Chapter 28 out.

I'd like to mention that, when I send this in for publishing, I'll probably have to remove it from the internet entirely, so don't be surprised if I say it has to go. I'll try to keep some of the more avid readers - mastin, Firefly (I think), and anyone else who requests it - updates like chapters and stuff...

=)
AQ  Post #: 157
4/16/2009 8:34:59   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

*requests it plz* =]
Post #: 158
4/16/2009 15:28:15   
Firefly
Lore-ian

...Sorry, _Dep, I completely missed the post until DD responded. I haven't been paying attention to what I should be paying attention to recently...

Yeah, it'll be good to be informed about updates. I understand; all the rights are hard to deal with. It's pretty hard to publish something as an unpublished author without having it completely done and polished first though (assuming you're in North America). However, keeping it on the forums can get problematic even before you try to publish. Ultimately, do what you feel is most helpful to your writing. Even if I'll be sorry to see it go.
AQ  Post #: 159
4/17/2009 23:40:11   
_Depression

lol, ok DD, you're on the list.

FF, it's fine, lol. I'm procrastinating as much with writing this. xD In fact, as proof, since the start of the vacation I've only written about two paragraphs of Chapter 28, and I've always found a reason to avoid opening the Rewrites' document. And don't worry, even if it has to leave the public's eye, there's nothing stopping me from sending it to those I choose via PM.

And yeah, I understand the problem of publishing anything that isn't fully polished (and besides, my OCD wouldn't let it get published, lol). I've also read (through the extensive research I've done on how to successfully get into the writing business) that short stories are the best way to get your name out, so I've started a series (well, hopefully) of short stories revolving around the Author's Fantasy universe, starting with Breeze's perspective of Aria's arrival to the castle after the attack on Aethon Village (Chapter 13_1 and 13_2).

I'm hoping to finish the short story (at least) by my graduation in early June, and perhaps get it published (if I'm lucky) by July or August. And then I'll go from there. It's going to be a lot of playing things by ear, at least in the beginning, so all I can do is ask for any last pieces of advice, e-mails of people who would be willing to be editors (volunteering, of course, at least for the first short story or two), and luck.

*sigh* And so we go,
Kevin
AQ  Post #: 160
5/21/2009 2:26:26   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

*volounteers* --as best as I am able, anyway. Good luck. =]
Post #: 161
5/21/2009 16:07:28   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I volunteer to give you a few useful tips on where to send the stories and such. Not to say I necessarily know more than you, just that I've been bumbling around for a while probably doing stupid things but maybe learning from mistakes. And I'll volunteer to read and give you overall feedback, though I don't know how much line-by-line I'll have time for.

Piece of advice: don't give up. The average writer takes 100 submissions to get a short story into print, and it's not cause their story sucks. It's 'cause only 1% is going to get accepted. Just be prepared for rejection. Soon, you'll be so used to it that you'll end up reading "registration form" as "rejection form" like I did. No, you won't, but you get the idea. Be prepared for a tough ride, that's all. I'm sure you can make it as long as you try and don't let yourself becoming daunted by failure.
AQ  Post #: 162
8/2/2009 18:58:31   
_Depression

I broke my writer's block. Whee. Chapter 28 is out. Finally.
AQ  Post #: 163
8/2/2009 21:00:45   
deathwalker05

lol, nice to see a new chapter out finally. How about your other story? the angel one, still working on that at all?
AQ  Post #: 164
8/2/2009 23:34:18   
ringulreith

My goodness, you kept us waiting a long time for that! Great job!
Post #: 165
8/3/2009 21:51:26   
_Depression

Heh, yeah, I had pretty bad writer's block. But for some reason, going on vacation always sparks something in me to keep writing.
AQ  Post #: 166
8/4/2009 13:42:42   
Angel of Grief

hiya _dep!
Pretty sure i know you from either the gallery or english101...which i'm still stuck in (still waiting for approval). Just decided to pop in and read your story...which is fantastic.
I don't really have any CC, seing as everyone else seems to have pointed them out.
So, just some praise from me.

Wait. am I even allowed to post here? My poetry thread still hasn't been approved...oh well. i guess if this gets deleted, it gets deleted. :O

The only thing i could really point out was the Robina/Aria thing. Were those references on purpose? (Aria having red hair....like Aria in DF...etc., and Robina being royalty?).
I guess thats it....
Very nice story :3
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 167
8/5/2009 14:25:17   
_Depression

Hey Angel. No, I meant no reference to the Artix Entertainment characters in my story (I didn't even realize there was a character named Aria...)
AQ  Post #: 168
8/6/2009 15:08:19   
Angel of Grief

Yeah...
heres a link to her picture....which i think actually paints a good description of what you used in the story....lol
As far as the Robina thing goes...its most likely just coincidence. although the fact that Robina was Breeze's sister was waaay too predictable. but i like the way the story is told, i really do :3

and whoa, you're gonna try and get this published? i think it has a great chance of being accepted :3...
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 169
8/9/2009 3:54:08   
_Depression

Hmm... well, maybe a little. But I imagined Aria to be a bit different.

And thanks. =)
AQ  Post #: 170
8/17/2009 6:15:18   
hector212121

Awesome story.

Write on!(i hope.)
DF  Post #: 171
8/22/2009 12:53:10   
_Depression

lol thanks. Yeah, I'm still working. =)

...I wonder where mastin went, he was always so quick to attack my new chapters, lol. I kinda miss it...
AQ  Post #: 172
8/31/2009 22:46:53   
_Depression

Just an update as to what kept me blocked for so damn long. Not planning. Letting the words flow worked damn well in AF, but FS, being so intense in the first few chapters already, lost my pace and I literally froze. So I stopped, for too long, and only recently realized where my block came from.

When I originally planned FS, it was supposed to end with a scene that is now going to (in all likelihood) happen within the next four or five chapters. That being Aria's escape/Suna's escape/Inyro's rescue mission. But I can't call that a book, if it doesn't get past ten chapters (especially not short chapters). So I had to expand on the story ahead of time.

Yes, I said it, I'm plotting ahead.

That's why Chapter 28 is so complex, with all the POV changes, because there are so many distinct storylines that I want to (have to) reconcile by the end of FS, and before SR. So expect some sort of regularity to form again (if school doesn't throw me off), and thank you all for sticking with me through these slow times.

As a final, added bonus, a preview of Chapter 29:

spoiler:

Chapter 29 - "The Prague Spring"

Breeze ran through the narrow streets on the hill leading away from Vysehrad, dodging past tourists and store owners as she headed for the river's edge. From there, she would follow the river to the Charles Bridge, the pre-determined meeting point for her and Kristen if they were to get separated. Behind her, the group of runners followed her every move, using their speed and freerunning abilities to keep up with Breeze's adrenaline-induced burst of speed.

"Hey!" one of the young men called, pulling up alongside the princess. "Wait up!"

Breeze slowed only a fraction off of her pace, glancing quickly to him and asking, "What?" before turning back and half-leaping out of the way of a young boy eating an ice cream cone.

The young man, sweating slightly through his blue muscle shirt, slipped between a group of tourists walking down the street, snatching Breeze's wrist and dragging her to a stop. "I want an explanation of what that was back there." He waited for the rest of the group to join up around him. "We all do."

Breeze supressed her bubbling anger - had the young man been a subject under her rule, or in any way aware of her royal nature, she would have sliced his hand off with her dagger - and simply nodded, saying, "Fine. But you're not going to believe me when I tell you."

"I don't care," the young man said, releasing Breeze's wrist and wiping his sweaty brow. "I just want the truth."

With another nod, the princess led the group down a side street, making sure they were alone before sheathing her dagger and asking, "Where should I start?"

The group was silent for a short moment, when one of the young men - a dark-chocolate skinned man with a thick French accent - said, "Well, how about the hairy people back there?"

"The werewolves?" Breeze asked, snapping her head to another member of the group - one with spiked rust-brown hair that reminded her of Ewan - who laughed loudly upon hearing her. "What's so funny?" she asked.

"Werewolves?" he asked, bemused. "You mean like howling at the moon, Blood and Chocolate, wolf people?" When Breeze nodded, her green eyes showing no sign of deceit, he balked. "B-but... it's not a full moon."

Breeze gave the redhead a confused look, unsure what he meant. "So?"

"Man you're stupid," another of the group said, to the redhead. "Werewolves don't even exist." Then, to Breeze, he asked, "And what're you trying to pull, chickie? Kyle told you, we want the truth."

Having never been spoken to so harshly, Breeze gaped at the offending person blankly for a long moment before finally managing, "W-what?"

"We want the truth," the young man said, emphasizing each word and crossing his arms. "The real truth."
AQ  Post #: 173
9/1/2009 14:47:11   
deathwalker05

Good preview, and, in a side note, as I finally caught up with the reading in this C and C, may i request being added to that list of ppl =)
AQ  Post #: 174
9/2/2009 15:43:55   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Good luck on expanding the story, _Dep. It's really been so long since I've glimpsed your face avatar! I'm sorry I'm still behind. It's just a bit intimidating with part twos and rewrites and all... but then again, who am I to talk? I'm currently stuck between continuing reading the story and hoping that I remember, to rereading it all, to waiting for the rewrites... It'll probably depend on what I can squeeze into my schedule. I dunno how much advice I can give on plotting, since everyone does it differently. I'm a planner; others think at the keyboard. Just try things, find what works for you, and most of all: write! Can't go wrong if you just keep writing, XD.
AQ  Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Author's Fantasy [Comments]
Page 7 of 9«<56789>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition