Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: MQ's Low Popularity

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
Page 7 of 21«<56789>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/26/2010 9:11:55   
Diark

Does anyone remember the Crystal Asteroid Quest?.It would be great if they could do more quest's like that.................
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 151
5/26/2010 10:06:46   
Links

What made it good?

I think it was the progression of rank after every enemy you killed. And then the jubilees of your NPC student peers.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 152
5/26/2010 13:26:48   
Diark

@Links-Ill go with the Story Progression part.Rather than reading the old dialogues again and again till we attained the required rank may make a player die of boredom(Looks at the Pile of Rocks to the west of the Star Map).I hope Yokai doesn't share the same fate as that.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 153
5/26/2010 17:03:10   
Terra

How about we make a list about the main things that turn new and old/loyal players off? (much like the S.O.O.N. list). But don't include personal dislikes, only things that most of us agree that are problematic and hinder the game's success.

I'll start with the ones I remember and you can add new ones as we go. Personal comments will be in brackets.

- Too much EXP grinding needs to be done in order to level up. (God I hate this one the most...Still level 29 because of this! =/)
- Rolls for ranking up in jobs and classes. (...I think this one is tied with the first one... <.<')
- Intro is too...lacking. (Not much customisation, not very exciting at all, too repetitive and it takes some time to get to level 3 and get to GEARS which probably turns most new players off)

Feel free to expand the list.
Post #: 154
5/26/2010 18:10:22   
Epic Ninja

i for one have played all 5(?) of ae's games and my rank in awesomlyness is.

1. aqw
2. mech quest
3. adventure quest
4. epic duel
5. DF

i think that popularity depends on which one you started on, because that is also the order in which i tryed the games (if u switch epic duel with DF)

for example, i cant play DF because their is just sooooo much content now that i cant keep up, and all the new content is too high for me.
this is probobally what is going on with mech quest, new players have trouble knowing where to go, what to see, and in what order. if they have already played a differant game, they'd rather stick to that game because their alredy involved in it. since mech quests popularity is alredy low, less people try it first. and sience less people try it first, the popularity is going to go down. its more of an endless chain if anything.

The Solution: 1. Start advertising mech quest a bit more on non-AE websites. This will make mech quest the first game to be known.

2. make new content not only AVALIBLE to all players, but PLAYABLE to all players as well. Necropolis, for example, is a planet that any one can go to (right?) but cant be succesfully played by all player, you need to be at least lvl 26 to even think about trying. not every release has to be this way, but the new players will need freash meat if you want to keep them baited.

WELL, thts my input. sorry if i got off-topic with the whole "new players" area, but i thought that would help popularity alot.

Hello, my user name is Epic_Ninja, and if ANYONE out there needs help with a quest, being shown the ropes, or if you simply just want to to talk, PM me. Or if you want to find me in-game, ill be on safiria from 6 PM EST to 12 PM on weekdays. See you soon
DF  Post #: 155
5/26/2010 18:36:55   
Reeinvented

It could be attributed to MQ's rather difficult gameplay...
Post #: 156
5/26/2010 18:48:12   
Shindia

@Epic Ninja There are several problems with your second point about making all content available to all players:
1. It means more time developing new content (if the devs have worry about a level 5 char being able to do well in content designed for lvl 20+ players that means a lot more time tweaking)

2. To a new player ALL content is new content, the very fact that they haven't experienced it makes it new to them so there's no real need to make sure they can play every latest release

3. Allowing new players to access everything means that they are more likely to be confused about plot, order to attempt things in and just generally not have a coherent experience

4. The real key is not just getting new players but keeping them, you can't do that by making everything playable at low level easily. The real key to keeping new players is to ensure that the content they experience first (dropship and Soluna) is fun, explains the game well and engages them in the plot. Personally I feel some tweaks to Soluna in particular could help a lot - mainly removing or dramatically reducing the rolls required for the Soluna jobs and energy blade class (way back in the beginning those rolls being hard served a purpose of slowing player progress while new content was added to the game but now they just serve to frustrate and discourage new players).
MQ  Post #: 157
5/26/2010 20:13:23   
cheese4432

@ Terra I agree with the grinding part, it's the main reason I don't play more. I was also "stuck" at level 29 through a period of in-activity for about six months. It seems to me from my observations that mq follows the same xp formula as df, however it is much easier to get experience in df than in mq, hence making it a lot harder to lvl up in mq.

On the point of mass rolls to rank up, imo yes it's a problem but to me the amount of time it takes to lvl up is more problematic.

It takes about 45 seconds for the average battle at lvl 30 requiring 90k xp to lvl at 300 xp a battle 300 battles to achieve lvl 31. just battle time is 225 minutes, 3.75 hours to lvl up. Fortunately though this is not a problem until about lvl 17. So it doesn't discourage new players that much but prevents them from staying.
AQ MQ  Post #: 158
5/27/2010 5:38:46   
Diark

Ok guys,edited the first post and Classified the Problems on the basis of your opinion in the thread.

Primary Problems:

These are the main reason for MQ's low popularity.

Secondary Problems:

These might not be the main reason keeping the player away from MQ but fixing these problems may have an attraction on the players.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 159
5/27/2010 12:59:14   
Delta 57 Dash

Grinding is a problem in every AE game... I personally find it nigh-impossible to get gold in AQ. At least in MQ I can gain credits fairly quickly. Exp is a little slow, but it's not horrible.

The stat rolls on Yokai were a pain because the uniform wasn't out and the formula was bugged. It got much better once they fixed both of those.

The repetition of quests... yeah. That can get annoying. But there isn't much they can do: they are understaffed, with not a whole lot of backup from the main staff, and they are struggling to even get weekly releases out the door. If they had a couple more coders, they could stick some of them on the S.O.O.N./bug-squashing list and let the main team start pumping out content like in the good-old days of the AvP War.

Personally, this is my favorite AE game, with AQWorlds, then AQ, then DF, then ED. (I didn't really like AQWorlds when it came out, but now that there are three new armors I can use, It's growing on me)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 160
5/27/2010 13:56:16   
Diark

@Delta-All AE games have either a Specific quest that gives gold or have drops which sell for Gold.AQ has it's own gold quest and the Rewards of all monsters are different.DF and AQW have the Drop System.MQ has no Drop system or Gold Specific quest.Rather than doing those the Staff could change the Reward System.Maybe based on tiers?.It is funny that the Decimator and the ShS Hound give the same rewards at the same levels.

Here is how the Rewards should be scaled-Piotr->ShS Decimator->ShS Behemoth->ShS Hound.

Adding a 10% increase from the Lowest to the Highest would be good.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 161
5/27/2010 14:41:19   
matteo23432

im thinking its low popularity (not that its really that low) is probably to do with how much each mech costs with nova gems, as in DF for example there are only a few items with DC's over 500, but nearly every mech thats NG and a decent level costs over 500 NG. The credit gain may be fast, but to get many mechs at or above your level takes a lot of persistence, and then there are the best weapons to put with each mech that builds the price up to quite a lot.
Post #: 162
5/28/2010 2:10:35   
Diark

@matteo23432-Im pretty sure NG pricing isn't the main reason for MQ's low popularity.

Now to say more about the Grinding problem,IIRC it starts at level 4.The Katana and The Newbatronv1337 Cost the same at level 3 which is 950 Credits(Though the Katana has a much better Energy Regen).The Nubertron(a level 5 Mech) cost's 12,500 credits,which is a little over 13 times the cost of the Katana and the Newbatronv1337.The player has to farm 13 times what he has farmed for his current Mech(If they have the Katana or the Newbatronv1337) for it along with farming for parts.This obviously leaves a bad impression on the mind of the player.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 163
5/28/2010 8:38:20   
Draciane

I think your summary on the first page really made a good overview of everything in this topic. By focusing on these, MQ can become a better game

Draciane's Accomplishments in DragonFable
- My Phantasy Star Collection
DF  Post #: 164
5/28/2010 11:57:07   
sjtheaxe

I feel the game has the potential to be amazing, as it's proven with some of the plots, but there is too little per release. An increase in staff would make it great. Also, AQWorlds has a great plot set up; you have to do things in order in the book of lore. Mechquest is only beginning to apply this concept. If they apply this all around with the intro starship, (as suggested,) and the rest of the major quests instead of using level thresholds, people would have fun at their own paces with less grinding probably.

To me, grinding hasn't been a major issue. However, in the lower levels instead of grinding that often, I would just use a few nova gems.

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 165
5/29/2010 3:20:48   
Diark

@above-Yes but Most people are either too lazy to do the requirements or simply bored by the repetition of quests and dialogue.To make them do all those quest's MQ needs a more Attractive Gameplay.Untill then it's best too keep the Pre-Requistes Sealed.

AQW being an MMO can easily apply this concept since...well...um...it's hard to get bored playing an MMO ya know.

< Message edited by Diark -- 5/29/2010 3:30:43 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 166
5/29/2010 13:53:52   
sjtheaxe

@above
I suppose you are correct about that. Making gameplay a little more flashy and having different styles of quests (perhaps more minigames, and not slow (fangor jungle river rafting) ones, but fun ones) would help.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 167
5/29/2010 18:58:25   
Nicoliomega

One thing that would bring in a lot more people, this is true in all other AE games. Release more free content, AQ, DF, and AQW all have a good balance of free and paid content. I'm a NSC and was using a lvl 3 mecha well to be honest till lvl 12, mainly because of a lack of choices. And from what I've seen I will be using it for a while because it is better then most mecha bases several lvls higher. Beyond that I have to be a SC, or buy something to get a good mecha. Oh and it is stupid to make a major portion of the story only helpful to SC. Well in my opinion anyway.
AQ MQ  Post #: 168
5/29/2010 19:21:51   
THIS_IS_SPARTA

Nico:

No. IIRC blues said that 90% of the content Was NSC and 10% was SC only. Go play DF, you can't even use all skills of all armors, over half the weapons are DA only and theres dragons only for DA's, etc. In MQ what do we have?

-SCMMs
-Starship (wich isnt of any use really..)
- And a few quests there and here, not importants quests tough.
-Color Customization

DA has:
-Titan Battles
-Dragons
-BIG DA only quests
-Half of the weapons are DA only
- Color Customization
-Can use ALL skills from EVERY armor
-Houses with stuff that are pretty usefull (IE Armor closet..)

If you say that NSC don't get enough, you're just being greedy.
there is almost NO incentive to upgrade except SCMMs..
Also at your level you can use Soluna's Hospitals mechas (Excellent mechas, NSC version is also very solid)
The Pizza-Ronis mechas, The primal werewolf mecha from SDF quests, The Tyranno from the Museum, The geekatron, The quickflash mechas (EXCELLENT mechs).

So you either didn't search for mechaas first and either didnt do ANYTHING in Soluna.
AQ MQ AQW  Post #: 169
5/29/2010 19:38:16   
Nicoliomega

I use the primal, and have gone through the rest. I'm not being greedy either, I may have been a little over zealous though. It's not all SC it's also nova gems, if you can find a NSC that is between lvl 14 and 20 that could deal a regular 100 dmg besides the Primal wolf which is a lvl 12 then good for ya. I stick by the fact that there is a greater percentage of SC (and my mistake again. Ileft out rare items) then there is of NSC. While I can understand the need for it I still believe that the game favors SC a far greater degree then you do.
AQ MQ  Post #: 170
5/29/2010 19:48:38   
THIS_IS_SPARTA

Then again I don't think level 13 mechas should be ab;le to do more than 100 dmg every turn. That's unbalanced.
AQ MQ AQW  Post #: 171
5/29/2010 19:56:49   
Nicoliomega

Well it is random but I'm counting a buff to
AQ MQ  Post #: 172
5/29/2010 20:31:39   
skyvolt666

No mech below level 20 should consistently hit 100. That is just unbalanced. The werewolf is considered the best mech through those levels though.

Considering the fact that the only NG stuff is weapons, and SC are also mostly just extra weapons, NSC have it nice. Just look at any other game out there. They all have massive amounts of Member only stuff. Mechquest is really good about that.
AQ MQ AQW  Post #: 173
5/29/2010 21:51:04   
stevie

I didn't really get into MQ till i sat down and played the game.
AQ needs a graphic overhaul
DF needs to gimmie a reason not to bea rogue
MQ less farm farm more pew pew
AQW if this game was a farm wed all be wearing overalls. . Diamonds of MILT are a pain to get.

BLARG!
AQW Epic  Post #: 174
5/29/2010 22:11:49   
forumlogin

AQW at least does not have a 'good' ratio of nonmember to member items. :P
The Werewolf CAN hit 100s, but I have a tough time doing so.
I've hit 100s with the Mecharoni though.
The others are correct in saying that that is a bit much, though. :P
The next time you'll be able to hit 100s without rare tech is 23.

Anyways, I'd call myself a farmer every once in a while.
I might classify as casual.
I also get bored when I've farmed too much in 1 area. I'm running out of farming places. ;_;
I'd prefer more content that doesn't involve 'Fight 20 enemies', really.
Some quests that 'spice it up' might be:
-The zombie horde>normal zombie routine from Mogloween.
-Scrap metal system, which I've heard is present in the latest quest.
-Labyrinth system, except you pick your enemies.
-And environmental effects. Environmental effects are real fun.
DF MQ  Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: MQ's Low Popularity
Page 7 of 21«<56789>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition