Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MECH= Concerning my Story (I Need Help With It)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Concerning my Story (I Need Help With It)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/11/2011 2:03:40   
nateman

I wanted to discuss the topic of satire, or the topic of absurdism/surrealism.
I really want to see what everyone's opinion on these two forms of writing.
Thanks.

Edited. What transpires between you and an AK or Mod is NOT public business. ~Eukara Vox, L&L Head Moderator

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 7/11/2011 17:54:49 >
AQW  Post #: 1
9/29/2011 16:45:52   
Xirminator

Satire is fine, especially if it is funny (a personal taste) and is satirical in a smart fashion.

I have little experience with surrealism and such, and I expect that not many others have. This will have an effect on how your story is received, most likely. It depends on the audience.

< Message edited by Xirminator -- 9/29/2011 16:46:15 >
AQ DF  Post #: 2
10/1/2011 0:19:18   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

for absurdist and surrealist humor (which what i think you're going for), i would go ahead and read some of Woody Allen's prose. he really knew (and knows) how to make the absurd funny and, more importantly, smart. his surrealism is a well-read surrealism.
of course, as is true for any kind of humor, successfully making something surreal and funny takes a certain feel for the way funny surrealism works
DF  Post #: 3
10/19/2011 14:52:43   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

I have dabbled in some absurdist/surrealist humor but considering my lack of experience with the genre (at least in a literary medium), it isn't the best example to recommend. Most of my experience with that genre comes from animation, which I believe to be the perfect medium for the genre as there is already an integrated willing suspension of disbelief. I do believe that watching good surrealist animation does help with one's attempts at literary surrealism, as writing is an attempt to transcribe images from your imagination into words. For specific works, I'd recommend The Original Fantasia (not that Fantasia 2000 was bad but it isn't nearly as surreal as the original), Cat Soup, and FLCL (for the more crude side of the genre).
AQ AQW  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Concerning my Story (I Need Help With It)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition