Ronin Of Dreams
Greetings to you all. As many of you know, Iím a very familiar face with regards to the RP Boards here on AEF, and have recently been elevated to the position of Head Moderator for the same boards. This is a great honor, as I have seen those boards both at their peak and in a total dearth of activity. I hope to change this facet of the RP Boards and instill fresh and vibrant life back into them by making some policy changes to the boards compared to how the system currently operates. Some of these changes have been ruminating in my head whilst serving under Ryu as an AK, but at the time, were not ones that could be implemented.
As the new Head Mod of RP, I am now in a position to be able to address those changes that I feel necessary for the continuation and revival of the Role Playing boards overall. Some of these changes have been publicly discussed in various threads in the past as suggestions or even occasionally as a complaint or two, but the following changes that are being enacted have come from intense deliberation and discussion by forum staff. We are not entering a new age of RP lightly.
- First and foremost, effective immediately, the main RP boards will no longer require the RPA process to be completed for any who wish to participate in posted RPs. One must still seek permission from the DM/GM of the RP in question in order to join, as well as submit anything required by said DM/GM in order to participate.
- Anyone wishing to run an RP is highly recommended to complete the RPA process if they have not yet done so, as it does establish a willingness to put in effort similar to that required to run an RP successfully. An RPer who is already on the list of Graduates from the RPA will likely have an easier time getting their RP approved, which brings me to:
- All RPs must be approved by RP Forum staff before an IC thread can be created. We want to ensure a level of quality, but the lack of potential participants has been tagged as the greatest singular cause underlying the lack of activity on the RP Boards at current. There will be no return to the absolute freedom and its attendant chaos of the old days. I was present and helped craft the original system from which the variant under Ryuís direction sprang from. The system at its core does work, but the current situation makes it a problem. This is the middle ground that I feel is most appropriate.
This only impacts the creation of IC threads.
- A guide that details the elements required for an RP thread to be approved to have an IC thread will be forthcoming within the next few days at most. In brief, however, an RP must have sufficient interest as determined by a minimum applicant number set by the DM, evidence of a metaplot, and some evidence of quality by the DM.
- Returning later this week will be two staple threads of RP: the Yulgarís Inn public RP and the Dueling Circle for those wanting a quick and dirty way of scratching the combat-focused RP itch. These threads used to be an iconic staple for quick RP fixes, given the nature of allowing folks to join and drop out of the thread at whim with their characters. It is my hope that their return will be welcomed.
- Finally, I am issuing a blanket reminder that the forums are PG and this board is NO exception. While there is some leeway in the literary arts in describing, say, the violent havoc inherent in a sword slash that connects, you will be tasteful and respect the spirit of the PG limit. This also means that certain subjects will not be tolerated in any graphic detail. A fade-to-black with romantic implications is fine, graphically detailing a romanceís physical aspects is not. There have been problems with this in the past, and I will NOT tolerate infractions of this kind cropping up with the greater freedom. DMs - You are expected to help police your own thread in this regard, and if you suspect boundaries are being pushed, please PM myself or any RP AKs. More on this will be in the guide.
That all being said, I expect there will be questions and comments. So please, I welcome you to use this thread to start discussing these changes and what you think about them. Just keep your tone civil out of respect for your peers, but if you have any questions that you donít feel would be suitable to ask in public, then feel free to PM me as well. I will do my best to respond promptly while handling my other responsibilities and writing said RP Approval guide.