Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =Library= The "Books" Project - Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =Library= The "Books" Project - Discussion
Page 5 of 6«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/21/2010 22:12:39   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Well, if we don't get anymore entries by my midnight, there are still 4 more stories on the waiting block to be looked at.

So that would make 21. And really, if you want my honest opinion, I am really happy with that number. This is new and I am sure there were people who really didn't know what to think regarding it. Maybe now that people see how it works, the next book will double in size.

But, I am happy.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 101
1/22/2010 6:54:24   
Reaper Sigma

21. Same as the deadline. Coincidence?

I can't wait for the next book.
Post #: 102
1/22/2010 10:10:01   
Dewdrop Fairy
Helpful! Dec. 2007 Writer of the Month

Actually, I think 21 entries is not so bad. From what I see there aren't all that many approved authors in L&L, and I'm not sure how many other people actually venture here. Maybe we need to spread the word more in the different game forums. There's often people who ask for a writing contest; they should come practice their skills here .

And while I would love to join the next book project I'm currently drawing a blank as to the topic. Wishes and luck. Hm. Apparently I'm both utterly wishless and luckless .
DF  Post #: 103
1/22/2010 23:55:03   
Eukara Vox

The first week it was out, I was able to have a forum announcement on the main forum page, but that expires. We are brainstorming how to keep a constant advertisement going on.

And you never know, Dewdrop, you may have a bit of inspiration hit you when the next book starts.

We have another story approved! This one is from dragonnightwolf.

Edit: What the heck... Alexmacf's story was ready too. I was going to save it for tomorrow, but decided to just give you two tonight.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/23/2010 0:37:02 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 104
1/23/2010 13:03:09   
horusmaster9

Epic. Now that I'm waiting for the next two, I better get started on the lux story after I've rewritten a story that was lost due to Microsoft Word's inability to Autosave when I desperately need it to. For reasons too silly to be mentioned, I want the first technically second post in the next book. 7.7

Thank God the announcement went up. I probably wouldn't have returned to these forums if it hadn't. :D

Also, I got pretty bored yesterday, so I pulled together a little signature (look down vvv) for the little project. It's not the best form of advertising, but hey, it's certainly better than nothing. <.<
Here's the little code thing if anyone wants to rip it or drastically improve it (I prefer you choose the latter). :D
[link=http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=17057638][image]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af18/horuskenji/TBP100.png[/image][/link]

Post #: 105
1/23/2010 13:15:34   
Ilø€IMPERIAL€ølI

That's a kewl siggy you got there. Don't mind if I use it, then. ;) *coughs* I'll be sure to participate in the next two books.
Post #: 106
1/24/2010 13:05:47   
alexmacf

horus: Ah, what the heck. It's a better sig than I've got now.
And yay, I'm in!

Your signature has been iced!
Sig limits are 500x100px and 50 KB
This includes all text around an image.

Yours was 130px tall!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 107
1/24/2010 14:20:25   
Relentless

Eukara, I've got a few questions.

Can you post your story in the L&L Academy?

Also, do you have to do it based on Winter?

I just wanted to make these questions clear. Great idea btw! :D

DF  Post #: 108
1/24/2010 14:41:03   
Eukara Vox

Unfortunately, submissions are closed for the Book of Winter. That closed on the 21st of January.

The next book is tentatively scheduled for the beginning of March, so that people have time between books to think, recover and work on other things. The stories can be put in ENG101 if someone offered a story and is not Approved Author or Poet. The requirement for submissions is that the story pertain to the subject in some way. In this case, the story needed to take place in the winter and it should be easy to discern that. The next one most likely will be Book of Wishes and Luck. So one of those concepts should be present in the story.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 109
1/24/2010 14:51:10   
Relentless

Alright thanks Eukara. :) I'll be waiting for the next Book.
DF  Post #: 110
1/24/2010 15:21:36   
Eukara Vox

And I will look forward to it!

Looking at putting up another story today.

Edit: Currently going through the next story.

QUESTION: Looking ahead this year, what are some potential themes you would like to see and contribute to?

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/24/2010 16:35:01 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 111
1/24/2010 17:26:46   
Reaper Sigma

quote:

QUESTION: Looking ahead this year, what are some potential themes you would like to see and contribute to?

Memorial Day.
Halloween.
Thanksgiving.
Summer.

I may think of more later.
Post #: 112
1/24/2010 17:39:00   
horusmaster9

I'd say that we leave a month between each book. 7.7

I'd say Halloween, definitely. Happy undead will be happy. :D
Patriotism around July... although that wouldn't really apply to the non-USA-ers on these forums due to different independence/whatever-patriotic-day dates. <.<
We could also do Children's Day around May (which is when Japan's Children's Day is). But, seeing as many of us are children anyway... >.>

That's all I got. Boy do I have a severe brain blockage. xP

Great that so many people are using my sig. Maybe now word will get out... maybe. :D
Post #: 113
1/24/2010 21:22:32   
Eukara Vox

Almost done with releasing the stories that came to us. Here is Argeus'!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 114
1/24/2010 21:53:25   
Dewdrop Fairy
Helpful! Dec. 2007 Writer of the Month

quote:

whatever-patriotic-day dates

*cough* Very awkward subject, as far as I am concernced.

Actually, due to my age and origin Memorial Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving all sound equally alien to me. But at least that's something I could adapt to. And if not, I'll just enjoy reading other people's stories, like I have done with the "Winter Book".

How about:
- The past (comes back to haunt you)
- Murder/crime/detective stories
- Boo! - Gothic stories
- Family
- The sea
- A day in the life of an AE NPC

DF  Post #: 115
1/25/2010 0:41:56   
Eukara Vox

Feoras toxArch has now become part of Book of Winter!

3 more left! I am hoping to post all of them tomorrow.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/25/2010 0:43:17 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 116
1/25/2010 2:51:32   
horusmaster9

@Dewdrop: Ah, yes. They're mostly American holidays, hm? I heard that Halloween isn't very much "celebrated" in the majority of Europe. I know that Romania and Russia don't really celebrate it... but I'm not sure about the rest. Plus, Halloween is pretty much the same as horror (See also: Halloween (film)) theme-wise. 7.7

@Euky: I thought you said that there were only four more at the top of this page...? According to my count, there have been four posted and three more to come since that post. <.<
Oh well, the more the merrier. :D
Post #: 117
1/25/2010 5:47:25   
Xirminator

Halloween is a good theme. We don't celebrate it where I come from, but it's hard to find someone who's not familiar with the concept of spooky and creepy. I'd love to write a story for a Book of Halloween (or whatever it is called).

Dewdrop Fairy's suggestions are all quite good, since they are topics everyone should be able to understand. Reaper's are also good, but I have no idea what Thanksgiving is. D:

I'd like to suggest a topic of my own: war. It won't be a very happy book, because I think it should focus on its effects, rather actual battles.

@horus: That sig is awesome :P
AQ DF  Post #: 118
1/25/2010 8:50:35   
Eukara Vox

@horus I quote:
quote:

Well, if we don't get anymore entries by my midnight, there are still 4 more stories on the waiting block to be looked at.

Obviously, I received some by the deadline that weren't part of that count.

The Book of War would be interesting, though a very touchy subject. The thing we would have to worry about is preachy-ness and political attacking.

If people made it about the after-effects (family/friends/healing/division/reconciliation/etc) and left their soapboxes at home, it would be a very intriguing subject. But I have seen the topic of war become people's launching pads for hate, country-bashing, people-bashing and such. I can see someone writing a story with a hidden agenda to do one of the above. And I will not have something like our community project used for that.

The Books project is meant to help bring the AE player community and writing community together.

Definitely planned: Book of Wishes and Luck

Future ideas -

Book of Darkness (Gothic/Halloween/horror/etc)
Book of Triumph (overcoming hardship)
Book of War
Book of Family
Book of Childhood (stories centered around children and their antics)
Book of Memory
Book of the Tides (Stories of the sea)
Book of Dreams (the fine line between dreams and reality/escape into dreamworld/etc)
Book of Mystery (mysteries)
Book of Fur (Stories from an animal's point of view)

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/25/2010 8:51:48 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 119
1/25/2010 11:09:17   
nolraitru

Oh, so NOW you tell me there's going to be a BOOK about what you made me write? D: *grins*
*cough*

Anyway, I'm still trying to go over the last of the entries. Hopefully we'll get all of them out before the weekend.

And I'd just like to let everyone know, that you all did a fantastic job! Really, I enjoyed reading every last story that was entered into the book.
Mucho <3 for you all :]

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/25/2010 12:47:46 >
Post #: 120
1/25/2010 16:00:31   
horusmaster9

@Euky: I hardly knew that three people would send in their stories with only an hour or so to spare. Excuse my ignorance. OTZ
Oh dear. I'm not sure if I can do mystery or the... *ahem* "Fur" book. Oh well, I guess I'll have to cope. New life goal: contribute to all of the book projects! >:D

... if only that Wishes and Luck idea would come to me sooner. 7.7

Also, just a quick question. If When this gets popular, will there be a limit on the amount of stories in a book? <.<
Post #: 121
1/25/2010 16:20:28   
Fleur Du Mal

Well, time caught up with yours truly and I never got to finish my attempt for an entry within the limit. No matter, it's been fun and pleasure to read all your stories. =)

And the ideas for new themes are quite inspiring, my favourites being those of Darkness, Tides, and Dreams. The Book or War brings Sun Tzu's Art of War to my mind, but behind all that nobility, I have to say it's a theme I'd be somewhat scared to be immersed in.
DF  Post #: 122
1/26/2010 0:26:31   
alexmacf

My Winter is about WWII France! I'd actually love a Book of War - WWII France, the French Revolution, and the Russian Revolution are of particular interest to me. I leave my soapboxes out. I'd have to tone down my general theme for these, though, as they're not generally PG-13. I've gotten teachers worried about me over that, when I tested their limits by writing shorts about pretty bachelorette women who happened to live in houses that lusty and morally bankrupt soldiers got into. Hinting at but not quite showing very, very adult things that my teachers don't think a sweet girl like me should know about, no matter how much she likes Walter Dean Meyers and S. E. Hinton and their ilk. The most soapboxing I do is portraying hard-core Nazis as the bad guys in my WWII stories, and it's kinda hard to avoid that with my personal attitudes.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 123
1/26/2010 2:12:50   
Eukara Vox

Story up!

Ont's story is up!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 124
1/26/2010 6:31:52   
Xirminator

quote:

The Book of War would be interesting, though a very touchy subject. The thing we would have to worry about is preachy-ness and political attacking.

If people made it about the after-effects (family/friends/healing/division/reconciliation/etc) and left their soapboxes at home, it would be a very intriguing subject. But I have seen the topic of war become people's launching pads for hate, country-bashing, people-bashing and such. I can see someone writing a story with a hidden agenda to do one of the above. And I will not have something like our community project used for that.

That's exactly what I mean. What really gave me the idea for this is a story I read by Garth Nix, about two children trapped in the rubble of a house. There's no mention of a country or anything, just the fact that these two children are trying to survive without their parents. It's very touching. I forgot what the story is called but I'll try and find it again.
AQ DF  Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =Library= The "Books" Project - Discussion
Page 5 of 6«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition