Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[Quest] (AQ) Khimera's Quests - Feedback

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> [Quest] (AQ) Khimera's Quests - Feedback
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/17/2010 21:18:07   
Khimera

My Quest Collection

The Demon Realm - Quest Chain

The Mana Construct (A Miss Fixit Quest)

Turtles and Elves - An Adventure in Greenguard

< Message edited by Khimera -- 10/15/2010 17:34:36 >
Post #: 1
9/24/2010 15:00:09   
Fleur Du Mal

Hiya!

Just a short comment. =) I like what I read so far. The dialogue seems very fitting for quests, it is descriptive enough to carry the story forward with the tidbits of info in the beginning of the sceme, and it has a nice balance between the silly stuff and more serious themes.

Of course, having to fit the dialogue into the speech bubbles in quests presents its limitations. So, there were a couple of spots where I - for personal likings - would have wished for a more descriptive language and imagery, but due to the limitations, I think it's better left as it is istead of cramming the bubbles with adjectives.

The fact that the player must click through the speechbubbles in the quests most likely sets another limitation: the number of quotes/bubbles you can put in before there should be a fight/cutscene. I'm not sure if this was the reason why there sometimes were sentences in one single quote that weren't, in my opinion, compatible with each other. It felt as if there should have been a pause before the same character goes on with saying the next sentence in the same quote. For example:

quote:

Stragath: You! You're a demon lord! I'm Stragath, the ruler of Heck, it's nice to meet you. Now, I was thinking we could go and discuss taking over Lore together somewhere... Wanna grab something to eat?

To me, the beginning exclamations here seem to be at odds with the rest of the sentence. It changes so abruptly from surprise and booming-voice-kind-of-mood to nice and cozy introductions. What I'd suggest doing here would be to either indicate a pause between the first part and the rest of the quote (a), or, to edit the beginning to something more in concert with the rest of the quote (b).

For example:
(a)
Stragath: You! You're a demon lord!
Stragath: ...
Stragath: I'm Stragath, the ruler of Heck, it's nice to meet you. Now, I was thinking we could go and discuss taking over Lore together somewhere... Wanna grab something to eat?

(b)
Stragath:It's nice to meet you, demon lord! I'm Stragath, the ruler of Heck. Now, I was thinking we could go and discuss taking over Lore together somewhere... Wanna grab something to eat?

Another similar spot was here:
quote:

Nax: That's right. Wow, I didn't realise it could be compressed into such a short explanation.

It might be just me, but it feels a tad odd for have Nax to first calmly say the other one is correct and then in the same breath make him go 'Wow!' Also, imo, it's a bit redundant to have him say, "that's right," as it is rather obvious from the rest of his line that the hero succeeded to grab the gist of what he had said. So, I'd suggest cutting off the first short sentence altogether.

Anyways, these were just a couple of details and my suggestions are based purely on my personal view. One of my personal likings is that I do not want much repetition in the stories (eg, while reading Trilogies or series of books, I really really do not like the little recaps some authors give to explain what happened in the previous book -- very much only my personal preference) , while I understand that others might prefer to have a bunch of it to keep things clear. Thus, my suggestions are just suggestions and I hope they give you a different view on your dialogue, that you can use however you choose to.

Good luck with the quest and have fun writing! =)
DF  Post #: 2
9/24/2010 17:01:21   
Khimera

Firstly, thanks for reading my quests ^_^ I appreciate it very much. Yes, I had to try and condense things for the dialogue requirements, especially as a lot of people dislike heavy dialogue. I think the changes you suggested were good ones, so I implemented them :-) Especially the beat in Stragath's dialogue. It adds to the humour IMO. Other than that, I'm glad you like my quests, and I expect I'll be writing more soon :-D
Post #: 3
10/15/2010 17:32:20   
Khimera

Added two new stand-alone quests :)

The Mana Construct (A Miss Fixit Quest)

Turtles and Elves - An Adventure in Greenguard
Post #: 4
7/25/2011 16:50:54   
Khimera

Update: Made some subtle but very important changes to the demon realm chain; It now takes place on Lore, albeit a previously unknown region, which allows me to write a sequel chain.
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> [Quest] (AQ) Khimera's Quests - Feedback
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition