Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread
Page 6 of 8«<45678>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/27/2013 21:53:02   
  Gingkage
Wolf Rider

Another amazing chapter. I loved the start especially, my heart going out to Faerdin at what he had suffered.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 126
5/2/2013 17:58:32   
Aurauris

Ish writing like the wind writes ripples across the surface of a ducky-laden pond, love! I can't wait to see how our collaborative chapter unravels; I hope my scribblings can do justice to the constant elegance and clarity of your writing. ^ u^

< Message edited by Aurauris -- 5/2/2013 17:59:38 >
DF AQW  Post #: 127
5/3/2013 17:49:14   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

@Faerdin: Have you given the appearance of the queen any thought? I surmise you'll be going to describe her soon enough.

@Aurauris: I am mostly curious about your character's background for this story. It is no simple feat to enter the halls which are closed to almost all but the nobility of Lore, yet she apparently managed.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 128
5/3/2013 18:10:16   
Aurauris

Dwelling Dragonlord:
Ah, but if only la crème de la crème was permitted within the such lofty halls, who would cook; who would serve; who would provide a festivity's song and dance? I think the men and women working diligently to ensure the guests' entertainment and satisfaction of palate would deserve a warm recognition and the right to be there as well for their labors, and it is under this category through which Aurauris enters the Grand Hall with her companion, the bard Loske. That's all I'll spoil for now, as I'll soon begin delving into my own character's backstory in full. ^ _^

< Message edited by Aurauris -- 5/3/2013 18:14:40 >
DF AQW  Post #: 129
5/3/2013 18:20:25   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

spoiler:

Queen Lynaria will have fiery red hair and a similarly fiery spirit. I will delve into greater detail when Aurauris and I have worked further on our collaboration. ;)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 130
7/27/2013 20:34:33   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Still working on the next chapter. In the meanwhile, I wrote a potential plot idea for the story of He Who Stands Between beyond Book Three. :)
spoiler:

For thousands of years, the Elemental Lords upheld the foundations of the world through the terran embodiments of their power. Fires raged within the core of the world while icy oceans stirred upon the fledgling world's surface. Storms roared above the dissonant waves that tore the skies like tendrils from the depths of the sea. The sun and the moon continued their eternal pursuit in the sky, and the very earth trembled in memory long forgotten by mortals; memory of a time when its bitter quarrels with the whispered winds were far more terrifying.

The Elemental Avatars acted as conduits for the plans of peace and harmony envisioned by the Lords in their righteous might. Amidst what seemed titanic struggles between forces of nature, there had been balance. Each wrench and pull of one element upon the other was merely a shift, like the ebb and flow of tides. The balance is delicate and ever capricious in its movements, but everlasting. The Avatars safeguarded this balance under the admonishing eye of the Elemental Lords long after their faithful servants, the Rune Knights, were lead astray. But centuries and even millennia prior to the presence of the Elemental Avatars, there were others.

There are others, and even now they claw at their arcane prisons in the core of the world. They know only vengeance. They want only chaos and destruction. But above all else, they want mortal races to kneel to the higher truth: that all they know will end.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 131
7/28/2013 5:42:54   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

spoiler:

Have you given the mana core channeling mana into Lore from the magical dimension any thought with it being a prison?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 132
7/28/2013 13:40:25   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

spoiler:

Unless the mana being channeled into Lore were of such strength that it would kill rather than empower them (Not the most likely result, since creatures inhabited by the Elemental Lords typically receive a fraction of their power), I fear that may only make things worse. Not to mention it would meld my ideas of them being imprisoned in the center of the world or in another dimension!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 7/28/2013 13:43:55 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 133
8/5/2013 1:51:30   
Razen

I finally got around to reading this, and I have finished all of it. I am uncertain of what to say to this, really. It is enjoyable, but something feels...missing. I can't discern what component it is that I can't find within your words though, so I wouldn't worry over it if I were you. It might even be that I was listening to music for the entirety of my reading session, so the fault would be on me there.

Am I missing something on why the Order of Rune Knights has remained obscure and unknown to the people of Lore, whereas they know of the Guardians and Dragonlords?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 134
8/5/2013 2:26:11   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

That is a very good question!
spoiler:

An issue I have thought long and hard on. But I think that it would be a combination of things. The Hand of the Avatars, the Order of Rune Knights, once had an incredible presence among the people of Lore. They were the foot soldiers for the triumvirate guardians of balance. The Guardians held the rear and unyieldingly defended the Elemental Orbs (Defending towns in the process) and the DragonLords tackled the more powerful monsters, but the Rune Knights were on the front lines.

But over the last few centuries, their power has been on wane. They have become introverted. Where they once eagerly leaped into battle, they now hesitate and prefer to pore over their ancient tomes. Where they once obeyed the Elemental Avatars without question, they now shirk from their duties. Less and less Rune Knights have been marked over the last arduous years, to the point where the Rune Knights now make a militia more than a vast army. They once took great steps in defending and connecting with the people of Lore, but now they hide in their castle.

They have forgotten who they are and, in turn, they are being forgotten by those who believed in them. To the point where a Rune Knight visiting the palace of Swordhaven to mingle among its nobles is an oddity. To the point where Rune Knights don cloaks and gloves to conceal who they are.

As for the part which feels missing... Well, to be honest, I think I can put my finger upon it.

• The storyline does not seem, at the present time, to be going anywhere in particular. There is not a defined path.
  • Rune Knights in their entirety are not yet explained; the workings of their order, even the workings of their magic are a mystery.
  • My purpose behind the story and language used during it has grown stronger with time, leaving the earliest chapters weak and indistinct in comparison.

These are all things that I hope to either expand upon in the future (The story is going to be picking up its pace in the next chapter or so) or rework into earlier chapters to streamline the story and make it a cohesive, flowing whole. :)

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 8/5/2013 14:00:36 >
  • AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 135
    8/5/2013 8:28:06   
      Dwelling Dragonlord

@Faerdin: You already have done a good job on where you want to go with this story. (Page 3, post #75)

spoiler:

The part which appears to be missing are their connections to the other Orders or even the elemental temples. The Rune Knights are starting to resemble priests more and more. In the beginning they seemed to represent the elemental faction, but the way you are describing their purpose now has got me confused. The way you described Faerdin in particular makes it sound like he could vanquish Dragonlords, not exactly something you'd expect from a mere footsoldier.
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 136
    8/5/2013 13:59:34   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

I have a general outline, which is good. I am just struggling with the execution. Dx
    spoiler:

Faerdin is the only member of the Hand of the Avatars to possess that kind of power. Even then, he begins in the story no stronger than any other. To compare post-He Who Stands Between Faerdin to a standard Rune Knight would not be entirely different from comparing Sepulchure to a standard Doom Knight. I will be expanding upon why this happens to be toward the end of the story.

As for your second note, well... It would be good for me to expand upon the connection between the three further and develop it beyond the off-hand mention by a different character, but I actually intend for the Rune Knights to seem disconnected from the other orders. They are slipping into the realm of inactivity and complacency that may or may not be currently afflicting the DragonLords in Book One DragonFable. Nor are they supposed to be doing a particularly good job of representing elementals by this point.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 137
    8/5/2013 23:55:10   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

While my next chapter is coming, I am going to streamline what I have so far. The Prologue is already finished, and I have made some alterations to the first and second chapter. The third chapter I am likely going to expand for further insight on Rune Knights, their way of life, and the workings of their magic, as well as developing the relationship between Faerdin and Gredal in a small way.

Additionally, I think I am going to put off my next chapter (The continuation of Faerdin at the ball) and write one from the perspective of Gredal first. He's gonna get into some srs bisns regarding the reasons why Faerdin had been attacked while I expand on his character.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 138
    8/6/2013 0:57:04   
    deathlord45

Like the story it's very interesting and I look forward to reading it. On a different note read your quest and I had to physically suppress my laughter just to type this. I think that you've been playing to much Skyrim though.
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 139
    8/6/2013 1:17:55   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

I had been playing quite a bit of Skyrim at the time of writing it. I thought of Alduweenie when Alduin was resurrecting that first dragon and couldn't resist. Glad you liked it, and thank you for your feedback! :)

Just restructured my thread for He Who Stands Between to separate the Prologue from the first post and make a table of contents.

Also, I just added the link to my new Quest thread in the first post of this thread.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 8/6/2013 1:18:15 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 140
    8/9/2013 21:57:13   
    deathlord45

Two more interesting quests again Fae but I suggest you check the NPCs section on the second one you put the first's NPC again.
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 141
    8/9/2013 22:06:51   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Thank you! Fixed the errors. ;)
    Noticed a few others along the way as well.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 142
    8/10/2013 8:57:38   
      Dwelling Dragonlord

I see you wrote a new quest, but the hero never knew about the prophecy until later on. Oaklore Keep doesn't mention the prophecy anywhere to my knowledge.

quote:

ORIGINAL: http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=9037216

Temple Priest: Priestess Celestia of the light temple left the White Dragon Box in our care. Inside is the egg of a dragon.
    Temple Priest: Oh,but it is no ordinary dragon! When the stars align themselves right, two very special dragon eggs appear into our world.
    Temple Priest: Most dragons have certain elements, but these two dragons have NO element , until they are hatched.
    Temple Priest: Many factors determine what elements these special dragons will become, but none more than the human that they are closest to.
    Temple Priest: One of these dragons will become the Mighty Order Dragon, and the other…the Terrible Chaos Dragon!
    Temple Priest: But there is no way to see which is which UNTIL they fight their destined battle with each other, alongside their human counterparts.
    Temple Priest: The Chaos Dragon, the World Destroyer might be with the kindest human alive. The Order Dragon might be enslaved by the worst villain!
    Temple Priest: There are many, MANY prophecies about these two dragons and the roles that they will play in history…
    Temple Priest: …but none say which will win their final battle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=12457889

Doom Blade: WE HAVE ALREADY BROKEN THE PROPHECY! YOU ARE NO THREAT TO US ANYMORE!
    <Character>: The prophecy is broken?
    Doom Blade: HAHAHAHAHA! CELESTIA HAS TOLD THE HERO NOTHING! HAHAHAHA!

As for your character's backstory ....
    spoiler:

So Dragonsgrasp's footsoldiers (dragonwarriors/rogues/mages) came in action when the RuneKnights' activity declined?
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 143
    8/10/2013 15:36:54   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

spoiler:

That is a likely possibility. Dragonsgrasp did not really need a standing army of that sort when the Rune Knights exised.
    Will mend the continuity errors; thanks as always for your help. :)
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 144
    8/12/2013 1:57:58   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Felt kind of restless tonight and didn't have it in myself to read, so I have a new chapter with the perspective of both Valen and Gredal.

This chapter pretty much sets the stage for the next chapters. It isn't action-packed, but the tension sure is rising. D:

Edit: Also made minor alterations to Chapter Three. It gives a slightly better understanding of how the runes of a Rune Knight work.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 145
    8/12/2013 13:02:32   
    deatharrows

Crud, sorry faredin... I meant to comment on your quest story page not your story page... Could you just delete post?
    Ok ignoring past me's idioticness Faerdin, while I know your story must be awesome as you have so many fans, I just haven't read it yet. I did however read your quest thread and I liked the skyrim quest reference. It would be a fun parody+reference, and there would be a titan fight and titan fights are always fun.

< Message edited by deatharrows -- 9/1/2013 14:35:11 >
    DF AQW  Post #: 146
    8/12/2013 13:05:54   
      Dwelling Dragonlord

quote:

Jealousy. By the Avatars, I'm a petty fool. I just don't understand myself.

*Lets out a dry chuckle.*

Was the talk about the stars inspired by Sepulchure's speech prior to the Popsprocket war?
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 147
    8/12/2013 14:21:28   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

spoiler:

Stars have been mentioned in a previous chapter of the story, and they will continue to be a powerful symbol throughout. They are representative of enlightenment, resolution, and viewing the world with a sense of childlike bluntness and wonder, which is an important part of a certain essay that (Along with some others) vastly changed my view of the world.
    They were referred to with that in mind, actually. Any semblance it bears to Sepulchure's in-game dialogue is just a happy coincidence. xD

@deatharrows: This same discussion thread is to be used for discussion on both my story and my quests. ;)

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 8/12/2013 14:31:37 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 148
    8/12/2013 23:04:32   
    Razen

The new chapter had given some nice insight, although the second one solidified an idea that always displeased me.

The first section was very nice, in my opinion, and it gave an interesting inner dialogue of Valen.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 149
    8/26/2013 15:03:35   
      Dwelling Dragonlord

I've read your new story. What is your take on the Earth Orb being needed to retrieve the Blade of Awe from its resting place?

quote:

How could an act such as creating this Ultimate Orb- representative of similarity and conformity in our world- be any less than evil?

Did you by any chance play "Deux Ex: Human Revolution" or "Mass Effect" the trilogy?
    AQ DF AQW  Post #: 150
    Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread
    Page 6 of 8«<45678>»
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition