Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =AQW= Reevaluating the Rarity of Certain Items

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest Worlds] >> AQWorlds General Discussion >> RE: =AQW= Reevaluating the Rarity of Certain Items
Page 2 of 6«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/19/2017 18:29:44   
aaronarco

Oh wow, I just finished reading @Ninjaty 's reply and. . . wow. You actually exist.
Sadly, tho i'm quite speechless, this is very out of AE's spirit. AE actually aim for mutual benefits, time and effort (plus extra financial effort) = fun! But if a community have a certain idea of "not fun" that absolutely contradicts other's fun, then this should be settled in a fair deal.

I knew this lately w/ the buyback shop, being only resold for the original owners of such rares. So that the collectors wouldnt feel a bit (or so much that they wanted for everything to be free cuz its unfair boohoo) disappointed.
Yup, we humans normally miss things, for we have other businesses to attend to, but to brattingly prohibit others to enjoy a fair trade (for everyone) is a very un-AE trait. I feel for the AEStaff, they do this weekly, as their jobs, just so we are not disappointed while playing the game. For the collectors who have pride for their pieces, and of course for our upcoming (even those who are just born last week) AQW heroes, to enjoy the game itself in all fairness and joy. Peace out.
Post #: 26
4/19/2017 18:38:27   
Ryuyasha

@Aura Knight As an owner of Vindicator of They I didn't care at all.

I really liked what Baldric had equipped but I was sad to see that his armor had come and gone so yes, I do support the return of some rare items that were shown on characters in the story.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 27
4/19/2017 18:47:35   
Aura Knight

I've missed quite a few things that I regret. While the classes I didn't get aren't the best, I wouldn't mind trying them out. I like the idea to have a zone where we can test classes like how it was on the testing server at one point. Experiencing something I couldn't is all I'd ask. If I could keep the thing I tried out, that would be a bonus, but perhaps that's too much to expect. When it comes to rare classes, is it impossible to make variants of them and put them in appropriate places in game? We've got quite a few reps that don't have classes. Maybe we can revive some old skillsets, change them a bit and add them to the game as permanent content. If it was done for VoT/The Collector, why not do it again for other classes? If I remember right, VoT was the first birthday class in AQW. It's possible I'm mistaken, but if an old birthday class can make a return in a different form, why can't others?

I don't think it's fair to worsen the experiences of new players just so we can appease the ego of the greedy.

< Message edited by Aura Knight -- 4/19/2017 18:48:24 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 28
4/19/2017 18:55:25   
Andlu

Why not just put all rare skillsets on NEW variants? Maybe even tweak a thing or two and give them new art/new names, that way everyone can be happy
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 29
4/19/2017 18:58:07   
aaronarco

quote:

I don't think it's fair to worsen the experiences of new players just so we can appease the ego of the greedy.

Aye! We be generous here in Lore! We are the Heroes aren't we? Heck the hero is the
spoiler:

Time Dragon
right? We should be able to maintain balance in the Lore and give our rookies the yays not the "ugh I really wanted that helm, too bad I have to settle with these goggles"

Post #: 30
4/19/2017 19:37:41   
Meloette Wells

I can think of a certain sword that was basically a regular solider's weapon being sold for ACs at an awesome rarity, although I mean that mostly as a joke. It's kinda funny it's gone despite narratively being a dime a dozen tool sold for like a bit over basic ac weapon pricing.

But a more serious consideration would be the stuff from the chornospan's quibble shop. Each item hold a significance to their original game, and could even offer aqw new game play mechanics. The main example I can think of is the technomancer armor from it, as it's an actual class in dragonfable. Technomancer is one of dragonfable's more transformative classes due to its signature gauntlet; other examples would be soul weaver's spirit looms, or a dragonfable's timekiller animation. Sure, all that transformation wouldn't mess with AQW's puppetry character models, but the theming of the class could offer a designer up another spellsword class. Spell swords being classes/characters that can enhance or augment their auto-attack with various buffs.

Edit1:
@Chris
quote:

Like you said, Rares definitely have a place in the game. However, there are certain items that are labeled Rare that shouldn't be. Quibble's 19th shop is a prime example. That shop is full of iconic items from other AE games, most of which are currently accessible. All those items being rare means that people who play the other games can't get the iconic items they love because they weren't playing AQW at a specific time. It would be different if these items were never part of AQW or are rare in MQ, DF and AQ, but that isn't the case. The experience offered from that shop extends beyond AQW.

quote:

Like I said, items should only return if they have a valid reason for returning. Take Quibble's 19th shop, for example. Those items should NEVER have gone rare since they a part of the AE experience as a whole. Telling players that they can't obtain iconic items from the other games that they know and love is an injustice to those who have invested time and money beyond the AQW experience. The items in that shop don't belong to AQW players. They belong to the AE player base as a whole. The same goes for every class that has ever been released.

Btw If I recall correctly, the Judgement wheel weapons went rare in Dragonfable following some lqs, but half versions of it's scythe and hammer ends was permament content. Not all the items in thespan's quibble was "items that stayed around forever." I gave technomancer as an example, because it's a class that is was mid-level content in Dragonfable, not to mention it's pretty average in terms of speciality. The rare AQW armor version of this averagely powered class seemed pretty ridiculous considering it's source material.

If you gonna keep referring back to this quibble , I think you need to double-check what happen to the items in their respective games rather than assuming all the items are random bits and pieces of AE's history. Sure they're misc artifacts from various games, but each one have a story behind it. For example the classic AQ's loco armor was an april fools event rare item, so the aqw's version is pretty reasonable to be rare.

Edit1a: A list for your convience of what did go rare in their og games. Rares are highlighted
A link to the quibble's shop in question. Please start going through that list, and see which items actually are listed as rare, because within the first 10 items, I seen like 2-3 rare items.

Don't just use "iconic" items as a means to argue about various items that wasn't even permament in their own games, or even items. Like the Galacta mech in MQ was a npc that helped out with the superhero storyline.

Edit2:
There are players that only use rare items btw, they would completely disregard a release if there are no rares at all. For these folks, scaling back the rares would just give them a reason to check in on the game for rares less and less. Sure, they'll deffinitely swing by for big name events like Dage's B-day or TLaPD, but they would've missed out on like Months of various rares by then. When they eventually find out what they miss and/or want something they missed, they would either just lose more interest in actively following the game's updates or just quit entirely

Edit3 (Hopefully the last one):
@aaron

quote:

Sadly, tho i'm quite speechless, this is very out of AE's spirit. AE actually aim for mutual benefits, time and effort (plus extra financial effort) = fun! But if a community have a certain idea of "not fun" that absolutely contradicts other's fun, then this should be settled in a fair deal.

I wouldn't say it's against AE being "fun" by having rares, I agree the practice is inconvenient to newer players but to say it isn't "fun" is just... insulting to rare collectors' enjoyment of AQW. Some rare collectors like having a neat little list of things they have collected because of a variety of reasons. Some may just want to have the most toys; others may just want a way to show off their financial stability by being able to afford so many things. They both find enjoyment from collecting because of different reasons, so to say the spirit of "rares" isn't fun is just an insult.

Personally, I don't care for rares, because they limit the pool of items available for newer players to mix-match looks from. (This point is woefully more obvious for male characters looking for distinct hair helms beyond Dage's crew cut, Cloud strife's spikes, and etc.) I have grabbed various rares not because they would be rare, but because I thought, "hey, not alot match this cool weapon right now but maybe I can make a set with it later on." (Which I did some months later, as a #notsohumblebrag on my part.)

My point being, just because you don't see their enjoyment in rares don't mean their enjoyment is Any less valid than any one else's.

< Message edited by Meloette Wells -- 4/19/2017 21:22:09 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 31
4/19/2017 20:27:43   
TsumetheWolf

When this topic was first created, I misunderstood the title.
Even so... In terms of the tagging system we have in-game, it seems that sometimes it is forgotten entirely (some items just end up being 'unknown', when they could be epic or even artifact), or items have a tag that don't fit them.

For instance- Blinding Light of Destiny is a Legendary item, while Sepulchure's Armour is only Epic rarity. Due to the significance Sepulchure and events with him had, and the work required, I can't help but feel it should be Legendary rarity also.

Now on to actual rare items; I agree with the feeling that we've had quite a lot of them. There have been a couple of times where I had the spare ACs, wanted to look in a shop and it had gone, seemingly with no notice (the one for the release with Abel, made by Crulon, and the Superbowl shops). It would have been nice to look at them, and possibly buy them, but I guess it happens.

I'm not sure how I feel about rare classes. While I don't really mind what method I obtain an item: farmable, buyable from a permanent shop, or an AC/etc rare, I am drawn towards the seasonal type. While I understand those who collect rare items and classes, I feel that a unique skillset should not be only used once. (I don't include Heromart classes in that, because they're advertised as being rare eventually in some cases, plus it's actual merchandise).

The variant type of VoT- Collector, was a decent idea. Almost the same skillset, yet different art. It allowed those players who like their rare items to keep the art/original skills, and those players who obtained this new class were able to experience the skillset they once could not.

If either option wouldn't be viable or there HAD to be a rare class, then I liked the method used with some Birthday classes. Being available for almost a year is a decent amount of time to farm or gain the funds to purchase a class.

Post #: 32
4/19/2017 21:54:52   
Meloette Wells

Just to avoid anything ANY MORE EDITS to a previous post, I'mma throw these two cents about some NPC armors here.

Bardric's armor was from an ac/membership package, which people played money for as a bonus, BUT in Bardric's armor case... It was also apart of a separate package that players could buy for like 60 bucks. In his specific case, it would arguably be like the recent discussion on the Dragonfable forums about returning old calendar classes as Dragon Coin (DF's equalivant to ACs) sink. Sure, it would be nice and all for this exclusive package item returning for everyone to use, but it would cause some backlash REGARDLESS of whatever being brought back.

Another example of a cool npc's armor would be Thermax's own armor, The LQS exclusive of 8,000 Plate of the Fallen. Here yeah he have a pretty cool armor, but due to it's nature of being a limited quanity shop item, AQW would probably Never Bring Something Like This Back. Much like Bardric's edited armor being a copy of a premium/costly piece of equipment, Thermax's armor would be even harder to try to re-release due to it's Color-customizable nature.

I mention these two NPCs, because their armors aren't simply the run of the mill weekly rare item. Both are items that have a significantly stated monetary or rarity value attached to them, so re-releasing them would either be scrapped or handled REALLY carefully. (If the upper-management's deny on Dragonfable's idea of re-releasing calendar classes as DC sinks is any indication of how AE would respond to re-releasing these items, you might as well just give up on Bradric's armor right now.)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 33
4/19/2017 23:39:26   
Christophoses
AQW Tester
&
Lore Adept

@aaronarco

quote:

Oh wow, I just finished reading @Ninjaty 's reply and. . . wow. You actually exist.

I knew this lately w/ the buyback shop, being only resold for the original owners of such rares. So that the collectors wouldnt feel a bit (or so much that they wanted for everything to be free cuz its unfair boohoo) disappointed.
Yup, we humans normally miss things, for we have other businesses to attend to, but to brattingly prohibit others to enjoy a fair trade (for everyone) is a very un-AE trait. I feel for the AEStaff, they do this weekly, as their jobs, just so we are not disappointed while playing the game. For the collectors who have pride for their pieces, and of course for our upcoming (even those who are just born last week) AQW heroes, to enjoy the game itself in all fairness and joy. Peace out.

I agree with every part of your post. This community should be about having fun, not who's better than who. Furthermore, being a collector doesn't necessarily mean that you need to have things that others don't have. It means that you enjoy collecting. Only collecting other things that other can't have makes you an elitist, which is cringed upon by the majority of the population.

----

@Ryuyasha

quote:

I really liked what Baldric had equipped but I was sad to see that his armor had come and gone so yes, I do support the return of some rare items that were shown on characters in the story.

Baldric's set was not identical to the one that was previously sold. There are actually quite a few differences between his set and what was previously sold. Hopefully that variant will be for sale.

----

@Aura Knight

quote:

Very true! Everyone deserves a taste of the experience they want, if not the same experience as everyone else.

----

@aaronarco

quote:

We should be able to maintain balance in the Lore and give our rookies the yays not the "ugh I really wanted that helm, too bad I have to settle with these goggles"

Exactly! People who join the game recently are just as important as those who were around at the beginning. It's not fair that they receive a lesser experience.

----

@Meloette Wells

quote:

But a more serious consideration would be the stuff from the chornospan's quibble shop. Each item hold a significance to their original game, and could even offer aqw new game play mechanics. The main example I can think of is the technomancer armor from it, as it's an actual class in dragonfable. Technomancer is one of dragonfable's more transformative classes due to its signature gauntlet; other examples would be soul weaver's spirit looms, or a dragonfable's timekiller animation. Sure, all that transformation wouldn't mess with AQW's puppetry character models, but the theming of the class could offer a designer up another spellsword class. Spell swords being classes/characters that can enhance or augment their auto-attack with various buffs.

That shop has items that play a huge role in the other games and it's completely unfair that those items aren't available to everyone. Just because you didn't play AQW at that specific time that doesn't mean you should have to go without the iconic items from the other AE games.

quote:

Btw If I recall correctly, the Judgement wheel weapons went rare in Dragonfable following some lqs, but half versions of it's scythe and hammer ends was permament content. Not all the items in thespan's quibble was "items that stayed around forever." I gave technomancer as an example, because it's a class that is was mid-level content in Dragonfable, not to mention it's pretty average in terms of speciality. The rare AQW armor version of this averagely powered class seemed pretty ridiculous considering it's source material.

If you gonna keep referring back to this quibble , I think you need to double-check what happen to the items in their respective games rather than assuming all the items are random bits and pieces of AE's history. Sure they're misc artifacts from various games, but each one have a story behind it. For example the classic AQ's loco armor was an april fools event rare item, so the aqw's version is pretty reasonable to be rare.

Edit1a: A list for your convience of what did go rare in their og games. Rares are highlighted
A link to the quibble's shop in question. Please start going through that list, and see which items actually are listed as rare, because within the first 10 items, I seen like 2-3 rare items.

Don't just use "iconic" items as a means to argue about various items that wasn't even permament in their own games, or even items. Like the Galacta mech in MQ was a npc that helped out with the superhero storyline.

I specifically said that some of those items are still around. I know that some have already gone rare. That doesen't negate that these are still iconic items. None of these tiems should have gone rare in any of the games they were featured in, but that's a whole other discussion.

quote:

There are players that only use rare items btw, they would completely disregard a release if there are no rares at all. For these folks, scaling back the rares would just give them a reason to check in on the game for rares less and less. Sure, they'll definitely swing by for big name events like Dage's B-day or TLaPD, but they would've missed out on like Months of various rares by then. When they eventually find out what they miss and/or want something they missed, they would either just lose more interest in actively following the game's updates or just quit entirely

I'm pretty sure the opposite would happen. If people found out that they could get they really want that would be even more incentive to play the game more frequently.

quote:

I wouldn't say it's against AE being "fun" by having rares, I agree the practice is inconvenient to newer players but to say it isn't "fun" is just... insulting to rare collectors' enjoyment of AQW. Some rare collectors like having a neat little list of things they have collected because of a variety of reasons. Some may just want to have the most toys; others may just want a way to show off their financial stability by being able to afford so many things. They both find enjoyment from collecting because of different reasons, so to say the spirit of "rares" isn't fun is just an insult.

Seeing other people have items that you would like and would be willing to pay for but can't obtain for one reason or another does diminish someone's experience. What's even more insulting to players that can't get those items is that Rare collectors gloat about what they have and that others will never be able to have that experience. It's unnecessary salt for nothing. Also, someone elses enjoyment can't/shouldn't come at the price of someone else's disappointment. There's definitely a problem if that's the case.

----

@Meloette Wells

quote:

Baldric's armor was from an ac/membership package, which people played money for as a bonus, BUT in Bardric's armor case... It was also apart of a separate package that players could buy for like 60 bucks. In his specific case, it would arguably be like the recent discussion on the Dragonfable forums about returning old calendar classes as Dragon Coin (DF's equalivant to ACs) sink. Sure, it would be nice and all for this exclusive package item returning for everyone to use, but it would cause some backlash REGARDLESS of whatever being brought back.

First, Baldric's armor is not identical to the AC package items that were available way back when. As such, there's a valid reason for his identical set to be available for purchase in the near future. Second, that set is a problem since it was randomly available and just now happens to be canon. Anything canon should always be sold in a Quibble shop or event rare shop.

quote:

Another example of a cool npc's armor would be Thermax's own armor, The LQS exclusive of 8,000 Plate of the Fallen. Here yeah he have a pretty cool armor, but due to it's nature of being a limited quanity shop item, AQW would probably Never Bring Something Like This Back. Much like Bardric's edited armor being a copy of a premium/costly piece of equipment, Thermax's armor would be even harder to try to re-release due to it's Color-customizable nature.

Thermax's set a victim of that same fallacy that Baldric's set has been a victim of. The only difference is that Baldric's set is, as I said before, not identical to the set that was previously sold in the AC package.

quote:

I mention these two NPCs, because their armors aren't simply the run of the mill weekly rare item. Both are items that have a significantly stated monetary or rarity value attached to them, so re-releasing them would either be scrapped or handled REALLY carefully. (If the upper-management's deny on Dragonfable's idea of re-releasing calendar classes as DC sinks is any indication of how AE would respond to re-releasing these items, you might as well just give up on Bradric's armor right now.)

Calendar items are a completely different situation. Those items were only available through real life merch items that were only available through those very specific means. The problem with rereleasing those items is that people will feel cheated for having to pay outrageous shipping prices in some cases. That problem has been solved for future calendar items but past calendar items are a different case.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 34
4/19/2017 23:56:10   
Aura Knight

Some people are just unnecessarily selfish. I'm happy we have others who would consider giving up or lending rares so others can experience something they missed out on. I wonder if we can do something like a gifting thing where we offer up certain rares for others to use. We can have the choice to loan some rares or give them way. If we give them up, we can't get them back, unless they're once again available by the one who got them. Ones that are loaned are returned to us with some kind of temporary bonus. I think I may have a few rares that I don't care for but got anyway. And I don't mind sharing.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 35
4/20/2017 0:39:58   
aaronarco

Well AE could always modify and control what they will release for a throwback shop, and I most certainly believe they wouldn't bring back something collectors considered as perma-rare such as AlphaP. And the LQS will never be added to that shop, and neither the LTS. But the releases from storylines, saga, some of the less iconic rares. I'm pretty sure you guys get my point, that AE wont bring back something that could trigger hate/disappointment from players, esp. the sensitive ones who would cry "I'll quit this game if . . " if such idea is given out.

As I said, anything that AE should do, and they'll be the one to execute it, should be fair, fun and for everybody's convenience. So that AQW can maintain their players, and attract more new players AND the returning stagnated accounts!

hey dude, you play AQW right? They're gonna bring back some rares dude! My previous statements will always be a suggestion and know that AE will still have the better judgment and execution. They know collectors more than I do, so I totally accept if some of my statements are inaccurate and impossible to happen.
Post #: 36
4/20/2017 0:46:17   
LouisCyphere

What about a Throwback Thursday shop? A monthly or whenever shop that contains previous rare for sale.

It wouldn't be fair to punish players if they weren't around during the release especially new players. It's counteractive, I'm not sure if that's the right term. counter intuitive.

Rares only satisfy the current playerbase. But for new players, they have to make do of what is a permanent addition to the game which is a lot less compared to the number of rare items.

< Message edited by LouisCyphere -- 4/20/2017 6:05:15 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
4/20/2017 0:48:16   
Aura Knight

Why must a select few dictate the outcome of things in game? I think the choice of whether or not to return some rares should be put to majority vote. However, since it's likely the ones who have rares are few compared to those that don't, there should be a way to make both sides even.

quote:

Rares only satisfy the current playerbase.
I find little satisfaction in rares. Only exception is classes and if it's not obvious by now, I think it'd be fine if others get a chance at them again. Doesn't matter to me if others can have another chance at abyssal angel or a nulgath farming pet or any of the paragon pets.

< Message edited by Aura Knight -- 4/20/2017 0:50:51 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 38
4/20/2017 1:38:38   
Guardian Patrick

It would be nice having some kind of rarity score lol
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 39
4/20/2017 1:49:43   
LouisCyphere

@Guadrian Pat:
We have that too in DF but it has no other function

It would be neat to have a class (Treasure Hunter class?) that uses Rarity score.

@Aura Knight:
Tell me about it. If I don't have Abyssal Angel. My farming capacity would be diminished right now.
If we're going to have rare classes, it should only be for the sake of novelty like Unlucky Leperchaun which is virtually obsolete right now.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 40
4/20/2017 2:05:31   
Aura Knight

I sold abyssal angel for some extra ac's but it's a good thing the buyback shop's a thing. Unfortunately I haven't found the time to get the ac's to buy it again. Can't say I miss it too much since it was mostly banked when I did have it.

It is unfortunate that there are those who missed it completely. It's a great class.

I wonder if it's much too late to give classes their own unique rarity and make them all permanently available.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 41
4/20/2017 2:10:50   
fxmybrute13

We have both systems, don't know whats the issue. We have some perma-available classes, we have seasonal classes, we have rare classes, same applies to equipment. And it's not as if the game is much too heavily skewed towards one side. The diversity is much too nice to nitpick one or two areas.
DF AQW  Post #: 42
4/20/2017 2:25:16   
Aura Knight

The issue is that because certain items are available for a limited time, there's the risk of players missing out on some items which could impact their experiences in game. Things like quest giving pets and certain classes come to mind. The pet thing is dealt with decently in that we can get new pets to assist with farming each year. But with classes, we have but one chance at them and if they go rare and we missed out, too bad for us. It's upsetting.

There can be many reasons for missing things but I think it would be nice if classes could be exempt from ever being limited time things. A few months ago I was having computer trouble and wasn't able to get it fixed for 3-4 weeks. This was during the time Nulgath's birthday shop was around and that sword pet was being sold. If I hadn't found a way to access the game and made a purchase, I'd be struggling too much with any nulgath farming now.

Some rares make things easier for us and I want others to have the same, if not a similar experience with things that would eventually be rare.

The question that I've been wanting to ask is: What determines if an item becomes rare or not? Is there much thought put into such a choice? If we knew how rarities are chosen, maybe we can come up with a way to make a return of some rares possible.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 43
4/20/2017 2:49:28   
aaronarco

quote:

The issue is that because certain items are available for a limited time, there's the risk of players missing out on some items which could impact their experiences in game. Things like quest giving pets and certain classes come to mind. The pet thing is dealt with decently in that we can get new pets to assist with farming each year

so true, in my own experience, I was busy with my majors when CVKS and other massive stuff came, such as Thermax set goodness when I saw those I almost cried seeing the rare tag in it. But I was a real loyal AQW Necromancer back then.
Post #: 44
4/20/2017 3:02:39   
fxmybrute13

Cosmetic things such as equipment : if they have the ability to go rare, just encourages the players to play the game more often, which from a dev standpoint, is good.

Utensil thing such as as classes/CVKS : as long as they are not purely unique, as in there are substitutes, it's not the end of the world.

I too, have missed out of now rare items, but this game is being updated weekly. There is a chance that something similar in the future would come. For example, my friend missed out on the celestial blade of awe, but this ascended paladin sword is similar. Granted, not an exact match, but it's just an analogy.
DF AQW  Post #: 45
4/20/2017 3:09:21   
Aura Knight

The possibility of having similar items at a later date does lessen the pain of missing out on a rare. I've been focusing on classes mostly on this thread. I missed out on blademaster and was upset since it had its uses and I wanted it most for its sever ability. Now, I don't miss it too much since I have archpaladin which does what sever did, but more effective. The unfortunate thing is that I still wish I could have blademaster as it seems like a fun class to use and I like trying out new classes. Right now I'm hoping for some evolved version.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 46
4/20/2017 4:52:12   
TsumetheWolf

Even though i've already said I felt there had been too many rares, I was thinking about past 'event shops'. These felt different to me than say, a Quibble shop or other random rare shop.
There was something almost magical about turning up for the Fear Chaser shop. Not because it was rare, but because it actually felt like a souvenir of an event.
(Just to clarify: I collect items that catch my eye- whether rare, farmable, or just from a random shop. Most of them hold memories for me, as did that event.)

I wonder, if AE were to scale back on the rares; would certain times of the year such as Dage's Birthday, Mogloween and Frostval perhaps take on this 'souvenirs from an event' quality? And would 'saving' the allocation of rare items to these shops increase the quality and anticipation for them? I'm sure people wouldn't mind waiting if what they were waiting for was of a higher quality and maybe even quantity.

Moving on- variants seem like a fairly decent way of making sure that art is not only used once. One of the first ideas that came to mind is the Skyguard Captain armour. Over the years, we've had the Battleworn version, a pinkish version and a 'mirror version' in Groundforce Uniform.
Another being the Dark Blood of Nulgath, and of course, the original. They both look good, and are instantly recognisable as different items.
Variants are nice when they happen, but if they're used again in the future, they shouldn't become commonplace. New art is also important!

@Aura Knight- I hope they would consider Blademaster viable for a 'variant' class. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't offer any ideas of how a variant of it would differ, but I still feel it's a bit of a waste to only use a unique skillset once. Or an evolved version perhaps.
Post #: 47
4/20/2017 7:32:44   
fxmybrute13

There are niche classes, certainly. But over time, they lose their uniqueness. Let's think of the birthday classes.

VoT when it came out was pretty mandatory for high-leveled players to get. Now, you rarely see it outside of PvP.
Then next year, chunin. The definitive AoE class at its debut. Made a resurgence briefly when farming for Primarch's Hilt from Colossal Primarch (due to its insane debuffs).
Then next year, dragon shinobi. Good for taking down extremely big bosses, a niche that coincided with the Jir'abin Dragon storyline that was going on at the time.
Then next year, ultra omniknight. Solid soloing class. Still top-tier though, but has gone down a few steps since release.
Then most recently, AP. One of the tankiest class in the game, with almost unparalleled soloing (but slow capabilities).

I might have missed a few classes and/or got the ordering incorrect, but you get my point. Classes lose their niche edge over time because more and more classes are continuously being introduced. Some classes just take longer to get replaced. One that comes to mind is Abyssal Angel. Members have Daimon and non-mems have Blaze Binder, which are close, but it is almost inevitable that eventually, a better AoE class will be introduced in the future.
DF AQW  Post #: 48
4/20/2017 7:37:23   
LouisCyphere

You have a point there. Due to the inevitable power creep, classes would be outperforming each other.

But what about for cosmetic items/equipment? Looking for new items in the wiki to make up a new look tends to end in disappointment since more than half of the items are rare.

For example, the Grovebreaker Armor, there's no similar armor with that kind of aesthetics.
Or the Celestial Avenger armor. I wasn't around the release so I wasn't able to get it because of college.

If we the game really needs to have rares, there should be a corresponding permanent item for it.
Or make permanent items cost ACs and the rare items cost gold because at this point, gold is virtually useless.

And another thing, packages and rares are somehow letting people go into an impulse buying spree.

< Message edited by LouisCyphere -- 4/20/2017 7:48:24 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 49
4/20/2017 9:42:44   
Attar
MindBreaker

One of the other concerns of rare items being produced is the artists having to constantly make them. Laken, when asked why he left the team two months ago, said the following:
quote:

Comoglio
@TheComoglio

i don't want to do it anymore. Not fun making an armor ever week to have it be replaced the next week
Link to tweet.

and there's this tweet from Aranx dating back from 2015
quote:

Aranx
@AranxAQW

.. What really hurts is the fact that there are so many amazing items created that no one uses =(
Link to tweet.

Making items for AQW is not easy. It takes time, a lot of creativity, and energy. The artists also have to comply a rather high standard since players are always expecting high-quality items to be released every week. This is not to mention that, in most cases, they are working for free.

What I also noticed is that now AQW has way less artists than it used to. J6, Memet, Crulon, Axeros, and Aranx are among those who still makes art regularly, Dage occasionally, and also Blade sometimes. With the few artists that AQW has and the amount of work they have to produce each week, I think it's time we alter the system and tradition a bit. I know that Alina has been recycling and recoloring old arts lately, I personally think that's great. Unfortunately it has not been responded positively by a portion of the playerbase, but that's another topic to discuss later.

What I'm saying is that AQW artists deserve more appreciation to the efforts they pour into each of their works. Having their items stay permanently in-game is a way to make them used by more players; making sure they are appreciated by more people.
AQW  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest Worlds] >> AQWorlds General Discussion >> RE: =AQW= Reevaluating the Rarity of Certain Items
Page 2 of 6«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition